Quoted:

FIFY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have several cases of magazines, and I have about 400 mags loaded, but I don't live in a town, so we are shooting all of the time, it is a daily activity around my area, but I also have over a dozen AR's and 3 M16's so we can eat ammo up real quick.  A buddy of mine a couple of miles from my place has a basement full of magazines, I don't know exactly how many, but it is in the thousands and he has 8 AR's and he also has 3 M16's so if we run out, we are really in trouble, but we can take a few zombies between the two of us!

Don't forget a commensurate amount of ammo to go w/your mags. A rifle w/o mags is a single shot. A rifle w/o ammo is a doorstop bayonet delivery device.

Tomac

FIFY

Believe me, I have plenty of ammo and always have enough ammo on hand, I just received an order of another 5000 rounds about an hour ago, when I buy mags, I buy ammo, I don't believe in letting magazines sit around empty, they have a job and I do everything I can to assure them they can complete that job!

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Believe me, I have plenty of ammo and always have enough ammo on hand, I just received an order of another 5000 rounds about an hour ago, when I buy mags, I buy ammo, I don't believe in letting magazines sit around empty, they have a job and I do everything I can to assure them they can complete that job!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have several cases of magazines, and I have about 400 mags loaded, but I don't live in a town, so we are shooting all of the time, it is a daily activity around my area, but I also have over a dozen AR's and 3 M16's so we can eat ammo up real quick.  A buddy of mine a couple of miles from my place has a basement full of magazines, I don't know exactly how many, but it is in the thousands and he has 8 AR's and he also has 3 M16's so if we run out, we are really in trouble, but we can take a few zombies between the two of us!

Don't forget a commensurate amount of ammo to go w/your mags. A rifle w/o mags is a single shot. A rifle w/o ammo is a doorstop bayonet delivery device.

Tomac

FIFY

so you bought 5000/30 new magazines?  

Wowza!
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wowza!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac

FIFY

Wowza!

No, I purchased 5000 rounds, I already have the magazines, come on read what I wrote.

At any given time, I have 50K in rounds and over 1000 magazines.  Not a difficult concept if you spent the amount of time I did in the military!
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:39:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

x  30
-------

Fuzzy math

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I purchased 5000 rounds, I already have the magazines, come on read what I wrote.

At any given time, I have 50K in rounds and over 1000 magazines.  Not a difficult concept if you spent the amount of time I did in the military!

x  30
-------

Fuzzy math

Fuzzy, no, extreme, probably, fun, yes!
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I just bought another 20 mags from PSA, which puts me at a total of around 90. With 3 AR15s, this is 30 mags per firearm.

If Trump wins, awesome. I have a ton of mags. If The Dreaded One wins, I may sell my pmags on the EE if things go full retard.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Mags are a great place to store ammo.  Buy them by the case.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mags are a great place to store ammo.  Buy them by the case.
View Quote

Exact;y!

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I love all these couch potato commandos (CPC) 20/30/40/50+ magazines loaded to go ...as a private citizen if you pull out that AR15 for self protection and think your are going to do mag dumps and not go jail you are an IDIOT....I submit if you even expend (1)30 magazine you have a 95% chance of gong to jail.  

If you can shoot accurately even under a  serious home invasion of 3 to 4 guys a total 15 rounds fired should contain the situation and I bet you will still stand a serious risk of prosecution.

So CPC's show me the evidence of private citizens legally firing multiple magazines in any real life scenario(s) since the AR15 has been in bona fide civilian hands?
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love all these couch potato commandos (CPC) 20/30/40/50+ magazines loaded to go ...as a private citizen if you pull out that AR15 for self protection and think your are going to do mag dumps and not go jail you are an IDIOT....I submit if you even expend (1)30 magazine you have a 95% chance of gong to jail.  

If you can shoot accurately even under a  serious home invasion of 3 to 4 guys a total 15 rounds fired should contain the situation and I bet you will still stand a serious risk of prosecution.

So CPC's show me the evidence of private citizens legally firing multiple magazines in any real life scenario(s) since the AR15 has been in bona fide civilian hands?
View Quote

Maybe you should just call 911 and not take the bullet out of your pocket Barney.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#12]
the only time you can have too many magazines is if you are on fire or drowning.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry you live in such a left leaning state!

Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have about 160 +/- magazines for my 3 5.56 AR's, with about 130 of them currently loaded.

While you're right that there is an infinitesimally small chance I'll ever need more than a few rounds in a civilian self-defense scenario, there are other reasons to keep my mags loaded. For me, it's a space and time saving measure. My house isn't that huge (3 BR, 2 BA, 1440 sq ft), so I don't have a lot of space where the wife will let me keep my gun stuff. If I take the ammo out of boxes and put it into mags, it reduces the amount of space I use. that makes my wife happy. And, if I go ahead and load it as I buy it, I can do it at night, while I'm watching TV, rather than at the range. That uses up less of the limited range time I get, since I have other things requiring my time. Not wasting limited range time keeps me happy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The feeling is not mutual.

You obviously have not been through an assault weapons ban. Stockpiling of mags and ammo has nothing to do with using them for self defense. It's about buying now cheaply what you won't be able to buy in the future.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have about 160 +/- magazines for my 3 5.56 AR's, with about 130 of them currently loaded.

While you're right that there is an infinitesimally small chance I'll ever need more than a few rounds in a civilian self-defense scenario, there are other reasons to keep my mags loaded. For me, it's a space and time saving measure. My house isn't that huge (3 BR, 2 BA, 1440 sq ft), so I don't have a lot of space where the wife will let me keep my gun stuff. If I take the ammo out of boxes and put it into mags, it reduces the amount of space I use. that makes my wife happy. And, if I go ahead and load it as I buy it, I can do it at night, while I'm watching TV, rather than at the range. That uses up less of the limited range time I get, since I have other things requiring my time. Not wasting limited range time keeps me happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I have enough mags that I don't even know how many I have

On the practical side I'd say 6-10 mags at a minimum for each rifle or pistol you own. Do you have two ARs? then make sure you have at least 12-20.
Do you care that they may get banned and you won't have access to a  consumable/wearable part?  Consider much more.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Two sayings come to mind:

1) It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
2) I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Guy in Belveder SC dumped at least one mag when his gun shop/residence was broken into in 2012. No charges. 5% guy. Did not link to the story as it was copyrighted.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

What in the hell are you talking about ?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Guy in Belveder SC dumped at least one mag when his gun shop/residence was broken into in 2012. No charges. 5% guy. Did not link to the story as it was copyrighted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean this ? What difference does sharing a link have on copyright?

http://www.aikenstandard.com/article/20140611/AIK0102/140619930

(Cold link to kill the Referer header)
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#23]
My original goal was to have enough to never have to load (anything) at the range. I wanted to run out of time before running out of full mags.

Then, i sold several Pmag M3 "parts kits" on ebay, in Jan '13 (nearly lost my ebay account too). Best auction brought $79+shipping.

I stopped counting at 100. Go to pistol has 15, CCW piece has 7. PPS mags are expensive. With the election looming, ammo and LPK's are what i'll be buying.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For all of us that lived through the '94 ban, we remember how bad things got and how expensive mags became.

I for one will never be ill prepared again!

buy cheap/stack 'em deep for the following purposes:

1. Range fun
2. SHTF
3. To replace damaged mags
4. For my kids & future generations

It took me years to feel like I was getting close to having enough...then I got to reason #4 and remembered the '94 ban again....so what if a liberal eventually is able to ban mags over 10 rounds and that law never sunset like the '94 ban???  That's why reason #4 is so important to me...it is not right for my kids and future generations to not be able to buy 30 round mags because of some idiot politician that knows nothing about firearms.
View Quote

Agreed on point 4.  If you're not buying ammo and mags for your kids' kids, you're not doing it right
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#25]
1 Promag is too many.  

How many is too many?  Let's see . . .

Red Dawn . . . Got it covered.
Zombie Apocalypse . . .. Ditto.
Fourth of July . . . In spades.
TEOTWAWKI . . . No amount is too much.

If you want a practical limit, don't spend more money on magazines as you did on the firearm.  If it is a Sig or HK, bump it to 2X.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I spent almost $1100 on 15-10rd magazines for my bolt action rifle so I may have a problem :-)

They are imported and only available from the manufacturer though so better to have and not need....

Handguns I say 10 and rifles 15 if they are "go to".
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Mmmmm, I have over 200 mags.   I lived thru the assault ban.   Never again.     Btw I have 5 ar's.  Plus 100 Glock mags.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
the only time you can have too many magazines is if you are on fire or drowning.  
View Quote

Well said... I have a lot of mags.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Dunno, but "to many" has too few of something...
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#30]
If they next ban has no sunset and no grandfathering, there won't be such thing as too many.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#31]
10-20 mags, although more is better due to the current political climate.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#32]
12 mags and 1000 rnds of ammo are the absolute bare minimum for personal use. 30 mags and 5000 rnds is better. Ideal would be 100 mags, 10k rnds of loaded ammo, spare bcg's, spare barrels, spare buffer spring, spare hammer and trigger springs, reloading press, bullets, primers and powder for another 10k rounds.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Since you are asking how many mags is 'too much'...
IMO, 30 mags per rifle is starting to be 'too much' for personal use(not considering selling).
IMO, 10k rounds of ammo for your main caliber is not enough.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Some say 10 per rifle. 10 per is minimum for me. I have a compulsive mag buying problem though that is bordering on side addiction. Personally in my experience you can't go wrong with any of the reputable G.I. mags (d&h, okay, colt, etc...) on the market, pmags, or lancer mags. I own more than several of each. I don't personally care for other types but there are plenty of great brands in addition to these. I keep a lot of loaded mags on hand because I usually shoot at least once per week. It's not absolutely necessary imo, but won't hurt anything to keep them loaded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've recently bought my first ar15. and was wondering how many magazines i should have. As of right now i have 7, which 6 are pmags, (all 30 rounds). do I need to have them loaded all the time? what other brand, type i should owe, any advice on this subject! please newbie right here
thank you in advance!!

Some say 10 per rifle. 10 per is minimum for me. I have a compulsive mag buying problem though that is bordering on side addiction. Personally in my experience you can't go wrong with any of the reputable G.I. mags (d&h, okay, colt, etc...) on the market, pmags, or lancer mags. I own more than several of each. I don't personally care for other types but there are plenty of great brands in addition to these. I keep a lot of loaded mags on hand because I usually shoot at least once per week. It's not absolutely necessary imo, but won't hurt anything to keep them loaded.

So I have to buy 50 more mags so I'm at 80.  And if I finish my other lowers I'm gonna need another 70.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:34:29 AM EDT
[#35]
I'll tell you what, when that scumbag traitor steals the election and bans all of this stuff you guys scoffing at buying a decent amount of mags may regret not hoarding them yourselves. Shits getting real....big time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you want a practical limit, don't spend more money on magazines as you did on the firearm.  If it is a Sig or HK, bump it to 2X.
View Quote

Of all the rules of thumbs that I've heard, this may make the most sense. I have the same metric regarding optics as well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#37]
I think over 200 is getting to be too many regardless of how many rifles you have.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I like the idea of no more money on mags than the firearm costs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Based in this, I can have like 100 mags per rifle :)

Excuse to buy more mags... located.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excuse to buy another rifle... located.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:20:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think over 200 is getting to be too many regardless of how many rifles you have.
View Quote

Over decades after a potential ban?  Trades, wear and tear, sell some?  200 is a lot, over 50 years, maybe not.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 3:27:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nobody ever accused you or being smart..

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I got lots and lots and still need more.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I have 115 total and still feel underprepared for a potential ban. I have 3 ARs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 5:47:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey now!
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Been picking up 20-30 a month for the last few months.   Keep around 100 loaded in the safe, been throwing the rest in a foot locker.

I remember the '94 AWB, and it bleweth goats
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 6:26:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Buy all the magazine that you can.

Most important is to vote Republican and keep Congress Republican Strong!
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Who here has ever worn out a magazine from use?
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've broken a couple over the years
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

When mags go to $25-30, I plan on gouging people and adding to my house fund. I need another 25K dollars so anything helps...
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top