Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/1/2016 1:48:29 AM EDT
I've recently bought my first ar15. and was wondering how many magazines i should have. As of right now i have 7, which 6 are pmags, (all 30 rounds). do I need to have them loaded all the time? what other brand, type i should owe, any advice on this subject! please newbie right here
thank you in advance!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:56:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Short answer is. As many mag as you can load. Personally I have for capacity mags fully loaded I have 20+ loaded 5.56 Green Tips.Mainly because the barrel in my AR is 1:7 else I would go lighter bullets.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've recently bought my first ar15. and was wondering how many magazines i should have. As of right now i have 7, which 6 are pmags, (all 30 rounds). do I need to have them loaded all the time? what other brand, type i should owe, any advice on this subject! please newbie right here
thank you in advance!!
View Quote

Some say 10 per rifle. 10 per is minimum for me. I have a compulsive mag buying problem though that is bordering on side addiction. Personally in my experience you can't go wrong with any of the reputable G.I. mags (d&h, okay, colt, etc...) on the market, pmags, or lancer mags. I own more than several of each. I don't personally care for other types but there are plenty of great brands in addition to these. I keep a lot of loaded mags on hand because I usually shoot at least once per week. It's not absolutely necessary imo, but won't hurt anything to keep them loaded.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks! so having the mags loaded wont affect them? or do i need to rotate them once in  while. i shoot like once every two weeks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:16:14 AM EDT
[#4]
The overwhelming concensus is that it is "use" and not "being loaded" that causes wear in magazines. In other words loading, unloading, loading, unloading... My personal program is to have 10 of my oldest G.I. mags in a use rotation. I have about 20 more brand new mags always loaded (lancers and G.I.) and an undisclosed amount of various types untouched.

P.S. -The G.I. mags I keep in a "use" rotation have been serving me for roughly 5 years without any functional issues and thousands of rounds between them. A couple have feedlips that are starting to crack from being dropped on concrete but they still work.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:18:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Think about this; in 37 days there is a 50/50 chance will we be witnessing the largest panic of firearm related buying in history. At that point you won't be able to find anything or you will be paying double or triple what it used to cost. In this scenario it will probably be less than a year before another AWB is passed and you will never be able to by new 30 round mags ever again.

Also, any mags you get now will not last forever. Mags are considered a disposable item. Those 7 mags most likely won't last 30+ years. The only solution is to have many extras.

So how many mags should you get? As many as you can afford in the next 37 days. They may be the only mags you get for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Think about this; in 37 days there is a 50/50 chance will we be witnessing the largest panic of firearm related buying in history. At that point you won't be able to find anything or you will be paying double or triple what it used to cost. In this scenario it will probably be less than a year before another AWB is passed and you will never be able to by new 30 round mags ever again.

Also, any mags you get now will not last forever. Mags are considered a disposable item. Those 7 mags most likely won't last 30+ years. The only solution is to have many extras.

So how many mags should you get? As many as you can afford in the next 37 days. They may be the only mags you get for the rest of your life.
View Quote

is this the same scenario as with ammo? is bulking up on mags or ammo better? right now i have around 550 of ammo
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

is this the same scenario as with ammo? is bulking up on mags or ammo better? right now i have around 550 of ammo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get both now. Buy it like it will never be as cheap and plentiful as it is right now.

I would say 10 mags and a thousand rounds put away that you don't touch would be the minimum. And who wants to only have the minimum? Then have some more mags and ammo for range use, home defense, hunting, etc.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've recently bought my first ar15. and was wondering how many magazines i should have.
View Quote

Like brake pads on a car, magazines should be considered "wear" or "consumable" items, because sooner or later, they can break or have other trouble.  Also, the left has been trying pretty hard to ban reasonable magazines, and the country seems to be leaning further left, slowly but surely.

Decide on a number that will keep you from running out of the "consumable" items over the years, even if new-production magazines are banned, and that's how many you should have.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:28:05 AM EDT
[#9]
(deleted)
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Under a 100  might as well say you have none
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

When in doubt, there is no doubt.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#13]

The last time a Clinton was a president we got the Assault weapon gun ban which outlawed the magazine over 10 rounds. Took like ten years to get rid of that worthless law.

Next time the law may not sunset and can last forever. See what is going on in California. 1st they outlawed new higher capacity magazines, now they are planning to outlaw all magazines over 10 rounds. Goes into effect January 1st 2017.

At one time a 30rd magazine was selling for up to $100.00 each. Now that they are down to $7.00 get all you can afford.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#14]
How many you should keep loaded is a personal question based on your individual circumstance.  I am in the minority and don't keep any loaded magazines for any platform.  That is for no other reason then I don't feel the need.  I also have over 500 ar mags and cases of ammo, but that is because I lived through the last ban, not for some delusion of the end of the world.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well and succinctly stated. Folks, I'm afraid this is going to happen (again) and of course the same applies to ammo, lowers, barrels and just about anything else gun-related. Vote against the witch.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How many you should keep loaded is a personal question based on your individual circumstance.  I am in the minority and don't keep any loaded magazines for any platform.  That is for no other reason then I don't feel the need.  I also have over 500 ar mags and cases of ammo, but that is because I lived through the last ban, not for some delusion of the end of the world.
View Quote

Me too. The 5.56 carbine is not even my go-to home defense gun - its just not feasible to be firing a rifle in my neighborhood. Of course, in the SHTF scenario the carbine would be preferable, but I feel like that is not going to happen by surprise and there will be ample time for loading magazines. Even so, I guess having your mag pouches/carriers loaded with full mags wouldn't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Good point.  Time to inventory my mags and see where I need to bulk up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#18]
One thing I've never heard said is "I wish I had fewer magazines".
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#19]
10 is bare minimum, 20 is a better minimum, IMHO. For 4 AR's in the family I currently have 53 loaded Lancers put back and 30 Gen2 Pmags for range use.

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
thank you in advance!!
View Quote

I like Tomac's answer, because I happen to have 15 mags.

It does not damage magazines, especially pmags, to keep them loaded. The springs are damaged by repeated cycling (compressing and releasing), not by being compressed once and keeping them that way... UNLESS they are compressed more than they are designed for. And the Pmag's cover protects the feed lips.

As for how many mags... it's sort of a survivalist question. how many mags can you carry in a firefight? How many can you manipulate in a stationary fight (i.e. walled in behind your ammo fort, fighting off a crowd of ravening zombies)? Are you going to fight to the death, or, when you run out of ammo, will you wave a white flag and shout "JUST KIDDING!"
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#21]
IMO you can NEVER have enough Magazines. I have about 50-60 Magazines. 3 Main brands PMags, Lancer L5 AWM's and USGI Aluminum Mags with the Magpul followers. I have built 2 AR15's. I will buy a couple here and ther similar to the way I buy a box of ammo here and there. If Hillary wins (God I hope not) you will see everything gun related (magazines, parts, AR15's, pistols, etc) prices go through the roof and become scarce. I have been doing this methodology ever since our HORRIBLE POTUS won his 2nd term.

So if I were you buy as many as possible or that you can afford. If the gun control stuff subsides or we have a Pro Gun court or Trump then you could always trade or sell the magazines you don't need. I lived through the 1994 Assault Weapons ban and many others and I do not want to experience it again.

Just be prepared IMO.

CJ
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Much is to many as more is to fewer.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I have several cases of magazines, and I have about 400 mags loaded, but I don't live in a town, so we are shooting all of the time, it is a daily activity around my area, but I also have over a dozen AR's and 3 M16's so we can eat ammo up real quick.  A buddy of mine a couple of miles from my place has a basement full of magazines, I don't know exactly how many, but it is in the thousands and he has 8 AR's and he also has 3 M16's so if we run out, we are really in trouble, but we can take a few zombies between the two of us!

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have several cases of magazines, and I have about 400 mags loaded, but I don't live in a town, so we are shooting all of the time, it is a daily activity around my area, but I also have over a dozen AR's and 3 M16's so we can eat ammo up real quick.  A buddy of mine a couple of miles from my place has a basement full of magazines, I don't know exactly how many, but it is in the thousands and he has 8 AR's and he also has 3 M16's so if we run out, we are really in trouble, but we can take a few zombies between the two of us!

View Quote

Don't forget a commensurate amount of ammo to go w/your mags. A rifle w/o mags is a single shot. A rifle w/o ammo is a doorstop.

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd get a couple retro aluminum magazines, especially 20s which are great when prone or on the bench... maybe a 5 round hunting mag if you ever have an inkling to go hunting.  Magpul makes some 40 round mags as well, I have a couple but they're in the wrap as I prefer 40s on my AK.  If you really want to splurge get a good drum mag.   Don't forget to get some clips too for faster reloading.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#26]
One. Just one.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:35:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm over  125 and need more but I have to get more Scorpion mags first.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, I sold my P-mags for $35-$45 each during the Jan 2013 panic.    

Ask yourself, do I ever want to find myself having to pay that much for mags?

You can buy plenty at $7 to $10 each now.  Buy all your can afford.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:29:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Get both now. Buy it like it will never be as cheap and plentiful as it is right now.

I would say 10 mags and a thousand rounds put away that you don't touch would be the minimum. And who wants to only have the minimum? Then have some more mags and ammo for range use, home defense, hunting, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Buy as much as you can afford for ammo and at least another 50 magazines
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#30]
OP, stock up on 30 rounders and some 20 rounders.  Also look at some 10 rounders in the event there's a ban on anything over 10.

And again, ammo up too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#31]
When I first got into AR's it was during the ban period.  Trying to find preban ar mags was a challenge.  Mags that you can buy now for $7 I was paying $30 for.  Some Glock mags as high as $125.

Buy as many as you can afford.  The last few I need I'm sticking on a credit card.  I've been buying a little along since 2004 but I still need a few more handgun mags.  

So how many?  That's a question only you can answer for yourself.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:52:02 AM EDT
[#32]
ha so what i've understood i need as much mags i could buy. theres no limit. the limit with ammo is infinity. i knew that there is never enough ammo. but question... if they ban mags over 10, i still get to keep my 30 rounds? what if they ban the ar15?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

That Saw Mag is awesome. And I suppose your right DPMMN. If they try to ban the AR15 it'll become very difficult for those tasked with rounding up all of the icky, evil black guns.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
ha so what i've understood i need as much mags i could buy. theres no limit. the limit with ammo is infinity. i knew that there is never enough ammo. but question... if they ban mags over 10, i still get to keep my 30 rounds? what if they ban the ar15?
View Quote

In the past when they have banned items, generally, anyone who currently owned it could keep it. Often you could buy and sell items that were owned before the ban, "preban". They essentially just banned the sale of newly manufactured items. This causes the price of the preban items to skyrocket since there is no more supply.

That's just speaking generally, there have been exceptions and there's no telling what future bans will entail. They will not just ban ARs outright and confiscate them, but they will do whatever they can to erode our rights if we are not vigilant.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I like having a minimum of 10 per firearm. I prefer 20 per firearm for the guns I use regularly. I've exceeded that for the AR15 but am a bit behind for 9mm Glocks. I usually try to order 10 mags from PSA when they run their ridiculously low priced D&H mag sales, if I have the cash on hand at the time.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Max out all your credit cards!
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Ya better hurry because it could start prior to the elections as everyone has the same idea you do.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Reading threads like this makes me feel "normal" by comparison.  It's sort of like watching an episode of Jerry Springer and then feeling relatively good about the dysfunction in your own family.    Dave P1 has approximately 12,000 rounds loaded.  Twelve.  Thousand.  Rounds.

I have four rifles - two AR-15's, a SIG MCX, and an MPX.  I've got a S&W M&P .22LR too, but we won't count that one.  

I've got about 100 AR mags - I'm guessing 80% of which are either Gen 2 or Gen 3 PMAGS, with some USGI, Lancer, Hexmags, and Battlemags sprinkled in for good measure.  Approximately half that number are "deployed" and the rest are stored.  Most of the "deployed" magazines are loaded, while some are used at the range, in training, or competition.  DaveP1 has 3 times as many rifles as I do, and 4 times the number of magazines.  I would assume he's got 3-4 times as much ammo as I do.  

Earlier this year I asked myself "If I could never buy another rifle, magazine, or round of ammo after November, how much would I need I to last the rest of my life.  I might have enough rifles and magazines to last the rest of my life.  I don't have enough ammo.  But I've done the best I could the last few years.    
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Reading threads like this makes me feel "normal" by comparison.  It's sort of like watching an episode of Jerry Springer and then feeling relatively good about the dysfunction in your own family.    Dave P1 has approximately 12,000 rounds loaded.  Twelve.  Thousand.  Rounds.

I have four rifles - two AR-15's, a SIG MCX, and an MPX.  I've got a S&W M&P .22LR too, but we won't count that one.  

I've got about 100 AR mags - I'm guessing 80% of which are either Gen 2 or Gen 3 PMAGS, with some USGI, Lancer, Hexmags, and Battlemags sprinkled in for good measure.  Approximately half that number are "deployed" and the rest are stored.  Most of the "deployed" magazines are loaded, while some are used at the range, in training, or competition.  DaveP1 has 3 times as many rifles as I do, and 4 times the number of magazines.  I would assume he's got 3-4 times as much ammo as I do.  

Earlier this year I asked myself "If I could never buy another rifle, magazine, or round of ammo after November, how much would I need I to last the rest of my life.  I might have enough rifles and magazines to last the rest of my life.  I don't have enough ammo.  But I've done the best I could the last few years.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awe come on, I just picked another 1000 rounds up yesterday and received an order of 2500 rounds of .22LR, believe me we shoot a lot of ammo over the course of a week or two.  And it is fun, it is my only past time., we build guns and we shoot bullets, it is just what we do.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#43]
When you literally can't get into your house because of magazines you might have too many, or you might need a bigger house.

I personally have anywhere from 5-40 magazines per gun, depending on the gun.  For AR's I have around 40 per rifle, but I'm also building 2 more ARs... Larue barrel giveaway and all
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#44]
how much is to many?
View Quote

When you run out of room...I ran out of room
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:44:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Ive only got 14 mags. Thought I was sitting good but now im not so sure. Shit gonna have to go buy 10 more and a 60 rnd drum!
Only have 2k rnds
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#46]
i have 50 30rd mags and a d60 drum.  its more than ill ever need but ill still pick more up when i see a good deal incase the idiots win in november
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#47]
For all of us that lived through the '94 ban, we remember how bad things got and how expensive mags became.

I for one will never be ill prepared again!

buy cheap/stack 'em deep for the following purposes:

1. Range fun
2. SHTF
3. To replace damaged mags
4. For my kids & future generations

It took me years to feel like I was getting close to having enough...then I got to reason #4 and remembered the '94 ban again....so what if a liberal eventually is able to ban mags over 10 rounds and that law never sunset like the '94 ban???  That's why reason #4 is so important to me...it is not right for my kids and future generations to not be able to buy 30 round mags because of some idiot politician that knows nothing about firearms.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#48]
If you are carrying them anything that slows you down or impedes range of motion is too many.  Otherwise, it is not enough.

For having in the house, if you have room you do not have too many.  If you can move shit around to make room you do not have enough.

Sounds extreme, but my plan was and remains, my grandchildren will standard capacity magazines to use with out having to buy them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Don't forget a commensurate amount of ammo to go w/your mags. A rifle w/o mags is a single shot. A rifle w/o ammo is a doorstop bayonet delivery device.

Tomac
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget a commensurate amount of ammo to go w/your mags. A rifle w/o mags is a single shot. A rifle w/o ammo is a doorstop bayonet delivery device.

Tomac

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OP, I sold my P-mags for $35-$45 each during the Jan 2013 panic.    

Ask yourself, do I ever want to find myself having to pay that much for mags?

You can buy plenty at $7 to $10 each now.  Buy all your can afford.

View Quote

Wise words.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top