Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2016 10:22:07 PM EDT
i took a AR class this past weekend and towards the very end of the class i had an issue with the magazine seating and secured in the magwell. I had run about 500 rounds through the gun that day and have no more than 700-750 total threw the gun, including that days round count. Towards the end if the class I started to notice that the PMAGS would not secure in the magwell if the bolt was closed. They will seat and secure if the bolt is locked to the rear. I also have a 2nd Amend mag and it will seat and secure in the magwell regardless of the bolt position. So what gives? Anyone experienced this before? Is it because the gun is dirty? I wouldn't consider a gun with less than a 1000 rounds through it, that dirty....please advise. FYI...... the gun is a KAC Mod2 SR-15

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#1]
1 round too many in the mag?

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Over loaded mag
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The second round pops up next to the first round, making the mag damn near impossible to seat on a closed bolt.  Common problem with gen3 pmags.  Magpul will tell you to send the mag in for replacement if you're unhappy, but I haven't seen them actually acknowledge the problem.

Search the site for multiple other threads with members having the same problem.

Here is someone else's pic from google. It actually links back to this site.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The second round pops up next to the first round, making the mag damn near impossible to seat on a closed bolt.  Common problem with gen3 pmags.  Magpul will tell you to send the mag in for replacement if you're unhappy, but I haven't seen them actually acknowledge the problem.

Search the site for multiple other threads with members having the same problem.

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/Texan13/6F971208-AD7D-4238-9C90-E9E6B25F655D_zpslax9frrk.jpg
View Quote

Damn, I have a bunch of Gen3  PMags.

I haven't had this issue yet but don't have a high round count through them yet.  Is that caused by the feed lips expanding over time?
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The small bumps forward of the feed lips on the right mag were added to help prevent this issue. Both mags run great.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:15:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y304/Texan13/6F971208-AD7D-4238-9C90-E9E6B25F655D_zpslax9frrk.jpg
View Quote

I've seen this happen as well now that you mention it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The small bumps forward of the feed lips on the right mag were added to help prevent this issue. Both mags run great.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t238/windyhill_album/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6jmgb661.jpeg
View Quote

Do you know the approximate time they started adding those to the gen 3 mags?  I'll need to check all my Gen 3 Pmags when I get home from work...
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you know the approximate time they started adding those to the gen 3 mags?  I'll need to check all my Gen 3 Pmags when I get home from work...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t238/windyhill_album/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6jmgb661.jpeg

Sorry,  no idea.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
What's the mold number and date code (little clock beneath the mold number) on the left side of the mag of the one with and without the added bump?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:08:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Did you slap the bottom of the magazine after getting it into the well?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top