Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2016 11:22:05 PM EDT
Just tried out my two ETS non-coupling 30-rd mags today and they work fine and look great. The 'smoke' color has that HK 'orange' tint that is very cool. AFAIK, ETS is the only mag that has this look. I will be getting some more of them but its hard to justify more mags since I'm sitting on about 60 of all types, including some of the original black stainless steel 'C Products' - they actually work great. I also used one of them today, a straight 20. Then I have Lancer L5 and AWM along with beaucoup USGI, new and refinished by me.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#1]
The follower annoys the shit out if me. Almost every other ar mag has the even numbered rounds to the right. This mag makes them go to the left.
I like their glock mags a lot, I'm sure the ar mags run fine but I don't really care for them personally.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The follower annoys the shit out if me. Almost every other ar mag has the even numbered rounds to the right. This mag makes them go to the left.
I like their glock mags a lot, I'm sure the ar mags run fine but I don't really care for them personally.
View Quote

I have the same complaint about Tango Down mags.  Didn't know this about ETS, thanks for the heads up.  I have their Glock mags in all capacities that fit my G19 and I really like them.  Very high quality.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is disappointing to hear as I was going to get some ETS AR mags to try out. I despise the newer USGI tan follower mags for many reasons and one of them is the reverse follower. I like consistency in all of my mags of a specific weapon type.

I love their Glock mags as well, got 10 and so far are excellent. Looks like I will stick with Lancer for translucent AR mags.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait; you push a round past the feed lips into the mag and it snaps into place - what difference could it make whether its under the left or right feed lip? The gun loads from both sides of the mag.
BTW, I saw a guy at the range loading a rifle mag like a pistol mag; pushing down the follower and sliding it in. I'm thinking 'Okay, that guy's never been in the service.' He was very grateful to be shown how to load by hand and with a stripper clip.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of people are trained to chamber  a round, pop the mag out, and feel which side the top round is on to make sure they got it chambered in the dark.  

I use left and right top round mags with no problems.  I just make sure that every mag I have is the same.  I don't have a mish-mash of both types on me.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#6]
As said above, it's consistency.  I load down my ARC mags by one so that they are all the same side.  It doesn't matter which side the follower starts on, I just want it to be the same everywhere.  It's also a very small gripe and one that people who don't mix mags will never have to care about.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As said above, it's consistency.  I load down my ARC mags by one so that they are all the same side.  It doesn't matter which side the follower starts on, I just want it to be the same everywhere.  It's also a very small gripe and one that people who don't mix mags will never have to care about.
View Quote

Well, sounds like you wont need to download by 1 with ETS mags then, lol.

My main complaint about the ETS mags are, they don't work that well with a Maglula.  It will keep popping off after about the 12th round.  This same MagLula will work fine in aluminum mags and Magpul mags.

Also, have a couple of Glock 19 magazines that I can not put in the 15th round.  Found out about an issue with springs and was told to call.  Tried calling but it went to a messaging system.  So I figure I'll send an email out instead.  The person I communicated with said no problems, found your previous order.  Will send out the new replacement springs right away.  

I don't shoot the Glock much, so didnt think much of it.  Well, today was loading up these magazines and couldn't get that 15th round in.  Remembered about the springs.  Looked at email and it's from July.  I guess I'll follow up and see what they say, lol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:54:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I have about 15 of the non coupled ETS mags and 4 of the coupled. I use them almost exclusively now along with Lancers.  I need to get more of each.
I have a lot of USGI aluminum mags. They just sit packed away now along with all the Magpul mags.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:07:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My main complaint about the ETS mags are, they don't work that well with a Maglula.  It will keep popping off after about the 12th round.  This same MagLula will work fine in aluminum mags and Magpul mags.

Also, have a couple of Glock 19 magazines that I can not put in the 15th round.  Found out about an issue with springs and was told to call.  Tried calling but it went to a messaging system.  So I figure I'll send an email out instead.  The person I communicated with said no problems, found your previous order.  Will send out the new replacement springs right away.  

I don't shoot the Glock much, so didnt think much of it.  Well, today was loading up these magazines and couldn't get that 15th round in.  Remembered about the springs.  Looked at email and it's from July.  I guess I'll follow up and see what they say, lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the catch tab on the Maglula worn?  Reason I ask I have a new one and it works fine with my new ETS AR mags.  I have an older one but I haven't tried it yet.  I love those loaders, wouldn't be without them.  Have the pistol version, AR-15, AK, and AR-10B version also.  Right now I only have one 31 round ETS Glock mag and haven't tried it with the pistol Maglula.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:29:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only mags I load down by 1 are ARC mags, because they don't match my other mags.  If I had ETS mags, they would be the only other mags that I had to load down.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A lot of people are trained to chamber  a round, pop the mag out, and feel which side the top round is on to make sure they got it chambered in the dark.  

I use left and right top round mags with no problems.  I just make sure that every mag I have is the same.  I don't have a mish-mash of both types on me.  

View Quote

That's certainly a valid reason that did not occur to me. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Anybody know how ETS mags work with .300blk?
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anybody know how ETS mags work with .300blk?
View Quote

I put 140 rounds though 4 different mags for 300blk and everything was fine with them.

Nothing scientific but they did work as they should.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A lot of people are trained to chamber a round, pop the mag out, and feel which side the top round is on to make sure they got it chambered in the dark.

I use left and right top round mags with no problems. I just make sure that every mag I have is the same. I don't have a mish-mash of both types on me.
View Quote

Who trains to do this? If you're not sure just retract the bolt a little and feel for a round. Doesn't require removing the mag in the dark and feeling how it's loaded and trying to remember which side the next round should be on in a sleep deprivated state or under combat stress. 30 years of playing with m16s through two wars, and I never saw this as a issue worth wasting time on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Who trains to do this? If you're not sure just retract the bolt a little and feel for a round. Doesn't require removing the mag in the dark and feeling how it's loaded and trying to remember which side the next round should be on in a sleep deprivated state or under combat stress. 30 years of playing with m16s through two wars, and I never saw this as a issue worth wasting time on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of people are trained to chamber a round, pop the mag out, and feel which side the top round is on to make sure they got it chambered in the dark.

I use left and right top round mags with no problems. I just make sure that every mag I have is the same. I don't have a mish-mash of both types on me.

I do. Personally I don't like cracking the bolt once it has gone into battery and the port isn't exactly huge to feel through.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

I do. Personally I don't like cracking the bolt once it has gone into battery and the port isn't exactly huge to feel through.
View Quote

I'm just amazed anyone finds this to be an issue.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never seen or heard of this being done. Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 2:32:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be they are using them in guns with no forward assist too. Then pulling the bolt back to look gets iffy if it goes back into battery. Simple work around would be put a R or L with a paint pent on the floor plate though and only carry one type of mag per range trip. But it's not a technique I've used so I dunno.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I just open my bolt up enough to verify there's a round in chamber *shrug*

There's significantly more resistance when opening a bolt on a loaded chamber than an empty chamber IMO, enough to give you a good idea if it's loaded.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
The new epm and tan follower gi mags are the same. Opposite of older green and black follower first round.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:30:44 AM EDT
[#21]
IMO ETS mags are the best. Their formula seems to be as strong if not strongly than any other AR mag save maybe one or two and no metal to rust. I love them. I just wish they were a tad cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I also vouch, ETS mags are GTG.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:57:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:39:57 AM EDT
[#24]
DSG is having a sale on non coupled 30 Rd.  $11.99 each. You need to log in to get that price.
Ordered some more.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
DSG is having a sale on non coupled 30 Rd.  $11.99 each. You need to log in to get that price.
Ordered some more.
View Quote

I just picked up 10 more too, and FREE SHIPPING..!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:20:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks for the kind words!

Have you shopped around with our dealers?  Last time I looked our non coupled mag can be had for $12-13, which is far less than other transparent AR mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IMO ETS mags are the best. Their formula seems to be as strong if not strongly than any other AR mag save maybe one or two and no metal to rust. I love them. I just wish they were a tad cheaper.

Thanks for the kind words!

Have you shopped around with our dealers?  Last time I looked our non coupled mag can be had for $12-13, which is far less than other transparent AR mags.

You know I haven't looked in a while so I just did and sure enough, they are cheaper. Great. Thanks. More money spent.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:21:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Oh, and where are the M&P9 mags!??!
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I tried one.  Wasn't impressed.  Didn't feel smooth and loaded hard on a closed bolt and IIRC I had a hiccup or two with it.  I'll stick to pmag and usgi.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone else get shivers from the way that polymer squeaks? It's like nails on chalkboard to me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:18:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wait; you push a round past the feed lips into the mag and it snaps into place - what difference could it make whether its under the left or right feed lip? The gun loads from both sides of the mag.
BTW, I saw a guy at the range loading a rifle mag like a pistol mag; pushing down the follower and sliding it in. I'm thinking 'Okay, that guy's never been in the service.' He was very grateful to be shown how to load by hand and with a stripper clip.
View Quote

There's a reason for this.  It has to do with how the top round engages the bottom of the bolt, if the bolt is still closed.  It tilts the magazine against the side-wall of the magwell, and reverses side, depending on which side the top round is on.  And so affects the engagement with the magazine catch/button.  It's been stated that the conventional mag, when loaded to a full 30 rounds, is more difficult to fully seat, due to this, and by reverse the follower and so the side the top round is on, makes it easier to seat a full magazine into a rifle while the bolt is still closed.

I personally haven't noticed much difference - but I've seen this stated.  So in light of that, a fully loaded 30 round ETS magazine, should (in theory) reliably seat into a loaded rifle, better than most other fully loaded 30 round magazines.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't think the side the round is on makes any difference at all in that respect. The bottom of the bolt carrier is symmetrical at that point (bolt closed) so it couldn't matter.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't think the side the round is on makes any difference at all in that respect. The bottom of the bolt carrier is symmetrical at that point (bolt closed) so it couldn't matter.
View Quote

I dont think so.

The bolt is exerting downward force on the top round, which is not centered.  There was a great thread where someone tested inserting his mag with 30 rounds, and found locking into position difficult.  Then he stripped one, found locking in much easier with 29.

Stripped one more to 28, and found it difficult again.  Etc.

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#33]
So I dug out my two, unfired, ETS mags with the locking feature and I found a problem.  Not sure if I should be upset or pleasantly surprised.  

I could Not load more than about 24 rounds into a 30 round magazine.

As I examined the problem a little closer........

I then pulled the mag apart and found an extra follower was installed in the mag.

So, Quality Control seems to be a little lacking at ETS.  But on the bright side, I have an extra follower for my mag kit.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I appreciate the quick follow up from the manufacturer!  This indicates a caring customer service.  Very nice!  

I'm glad to hear this is rare.  I think I'll treat it as a bonus then.  

The only other issue I had with the ETS mags was an over insertion issue with my Mossber MMR Tactical.  After the (fully loaded) mags were seated, I could not eject the mag due to the mag over inserting into the mag well.  I'm not sure if the mag would feed a round in this condition - as I did not attempt that.

I tested my mossberg MMR Tactical with all my other Pmags (Gen 1-3) USGI from Brownells & Okay, H&K Poly, and Lancer L5AWM - all seated without problems in the MMR.

Also, I tested the ETS mags in 4 other rifles - 2 with Anderson lowers, 1 with AeroPrecison Gen2 lower, and 1 with a Spartan (LGS) lower.
     Both ETS mags seated properly and without issue when full and dropped free when empty in all 4 of these rifles.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#36]
My first ETS magazine from Primary Arms arrived in the mail yesterday, and so far I'm very impressed with the look and overall sturdiness.  My first impression was that more time and detail were spent on fit and finish than the gold standard Magpuls.  Though I like the looks of the Hexmags and have several of them, ETS's make them seem flimsy in comparison.  Hopefully I'll be able to run a few boxes though it this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#37]
I like them.  How many people here actually need to do some sort of feel check in the pitch black anyways?  I figured all the true combat warriors here had nightvision devices.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Lil early Christmas.

Link Posted: 10/28/2016 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I just bought six of the non-coupled ones myself. I'm starting a 300 blackout pistol build and I wanted magazines that I only use for that system.  Primary Arms has them on sale right now for $11.19.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:22:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I like them.  How many people here actually need to do some sort of feel check in the pitch black anyways?  I figured all the true combat warriors here had nightvision devices.
View Quote

I do.  It's not a huge deal to me what side the round sits on, I just have to remember which mag I'm using.  I've worked nights for over a decade now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I just got my first non couples mag. Never had an issue with my coupled mags but I got a FTF while using my new non coupled mag. I'm going to do more testing but I'm pretty bummed. I love my ETS mags and I'm bummed that in the back of my mind I don't trust this new one. Hopefully it'll perform flawless for the next couple hundred rounds and I can get some piece of mind.

I've got more coupled mags on the way. Hopefully they are all gtg
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Funny thing about the ETS mags, I use them as my beater mags because my Lancer's are of course way cooler, and so get babied.  But since ETS are clear, pretty much don't even use my PMags anymore, and just use these.  So they're seeing a fair amount of use.   And you know, they things just run.  And run,  and run.  I never have jams or hangups.  They insert smooth as can be even if loaded to 30, on a closed bolt, and drop free when I hit the mag release.  They hit the deck in the dusty dirt on the 3-gun range pretty often, sometimes while still partially loaded, no problem.

They're actually pretty darned good mags.  The other day, I was shooting some ultra-light 40 gr loads using recovered gun-powder charged very light - just enough to cycle the gun.  The ETS would run and lock back no problem.  Funny thing is, I used the ETS mags in the load development.  Wups, because, none of my other mags will lock back on that ultralight load.  They all feed still, but only the ETS is locking back.  Don't get me wrong, all the other mags are spec, and this is a very very non-spec load (it's basically .22 Hornet speed and power), but it is noticed that the ETS mags are reliably locking back just fine on such an off-spec light load.  

I like ETS mags, and even though I'm full on mags, if I see a crazy-sale, I might pick up a few more.  I just wish the basepad wasn't so fat - I much prefer the Lancer design on that.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I also vouch, ETS mags are GTG.
View Quote

Isn't that the mag that CM had that jammed its ass off in my gun?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If it continues to give you problems please contact our customer service and we will get it replaced for you.

PS as far as feeding is concerned, the non-coupled and coupled mag geometry is identical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got my first non couples mag. Never had an issue with my coupled mags but I got a FTF while using my new non coupled mag. I'm going to do more testing but I'm pretty bummed. I love my ETS mags and I'm bummed that in the back of my mind I don't trust this new one. Hopefully it'll perform flawless for the next couple hundred rounds and I can get some piece of mind.

I've got more coupled mags on the way. Hopefully they are all gtg

If it continues to give you problems please contact our customer service and we will get it replaced for you.

PS as far as feeding is concerned, the non-coupled and coupled mag geometry is identical.

Cool. Thank you. But I don't want to blame the mag just yet. It may be the 10.5 AR with the new adjys adjustable gas block that caused it. I'll find out in a couple of weeks
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I purchased a couple of ETS coupler mags from Vizzards which at the time had a decent price on them.  they dropped free and inserted fine on a Colt, Remington built Bushmaster with Redi mag installed (!) and a forged Boberg lower which has a wide magazine well flare.  I was surprised they would still insert with the last two but they did and dropped free to boot.  Downside was the Colt did not lock back on empty magazine.  Not a problem with several other mags.  Can anyone tell me what to look for on this magazine and receiver combination?

I purchased them based on happy experience w Glock 19 magazines.  (15, 17 and 22 round).

PS What is the best way to strip off the magazine dust cover in a hurry?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top