BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not worry about it, buy what you like, I am buying a few Gen 2 P every payday

WOOHOO page 3 ownage, do I get a free P mag?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No clue here, but was there any problem with Gen 1 Pmags that prompted newer gens?
View Quote

Anyone?
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Anyone?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No clue here, but was there any problem with Gen 1 Pmags that prompted newer gens?

Anyone?

I have never had any problems with any of my Gen 1s, they run just fine, are products improved over time, of course, it is kind of like saying, can I get to my destination is a 1961 Dodge, or do I need a 2016 Corvette!

Everything improves over time, most of the mags I have are metal, GI type mags and they still run great, including many of them that I brought back from Desert Storm in 1991
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have never had any problems with any of my Gen 1s, they run just fine, are products improved over time, of course, it is kind of like saying, can I get to my destination is a 1961 Dodge, or do I need a 2016 Corvette!

Everything improves over time, most of the mags I have are metal, GI type mags and they still run great, including many of them that I brought back from Desert Storm in 1991

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone?

I haven't had issues with mine, but it's a small sample size and products are reengineered to address design flaws routinely.

Doesn't mean there was a functional design flaw in Gen 1's however Magpul may have discovered one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I run an armory and am also a FI. In my experience pmags are very trouble free and as a bonus are easier to load. I havent seen a pmag fail in normal service, ive actually seen some survive being run over, which would never happen with gi or steel mags. My only complaint is pmags wont fit in older vehicle rifle racks, most new racks dont have a cut out that the mag must clear so it is a non-issue for them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No fundamental design flaws, just always trying to improve our products.  We're a wee bit OCD when it comes to our kit.  
View Quote

Thanks for confirming.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Anyone?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone?

I've got about 6 mags still loaded back from when Magpul had everyone exchange their mags bodies.  Those are probably some of the earliest ones.  They are still fine. I actually liked them best when the next generation came out.  We have probably just over 1000 pmags on the street at work some since 2009.   I would say maybe 8 have had the spine crack and the top round will always pop out.  Not a bad percentage for a disposable item.  David
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a lot of mags so I don't have to worry about falling in love with a disposible item. The 70 plus Pmags I have are loaded and they work fine every time I grab one.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I will put it like this-

I have used P Mags since they first hit the market.

I used them in Iraq and they were great, totally reliable, totally durable.  I still have those mags.  

I took the same mags to a class a couple of years later and the had doublefeeds regularly.  You could bounce the mag down onto your leg and rounds would volcano out the top.  It wasn't the springs...

I bought new P Mags and took them to Afghanistan with me.  They worked great, thousands of rounds of all kinds of ammo including M855A1.  

Fast fwd a year...same issue...

I don't think P Mags age well.  

Then again, mags are not supposed to last forever.  Every one of my "old" P Mags fails the slap test (load 15 rounds, slap the bottom of the mag).  I have very old USG mags from Colt that pass it...some from other vendors that don't pass it.  

It seems like a good test to diagnose reliability to a degree.  Kyle Lamb used it in his book.  

YMMV
View Quote

Mirrors my experiences too. The magazine lips do warp and widen ever so slightly over time.
Obviously magpul is aware of this. Why else would they have designed a pop-top from the get go?
How many of you actually have your pop-tops? I lose them like dollars at a strip club.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#11]
https://youtu.be/Nk5L7UnS2AA?t=14m18s

Military Arms Channel said in today's video that he isn't buying PMAG's anymore due to feed lip issues.

I've had a few loaded up for around 3 years that I might test out to see functionality.  I believe they are gen 1's.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://youtu.be/Nk5L7UnS2AA?t=14m18s

Military Arms Channel said in today's video that he isn't buying PMAG's anymore due to feed lip issues.

I've had a few loaded up for around 3 years that I might test out to see functionality.  I believe they are gen 1's.
View Quote

Honestly, I think Tim is full of shit on that one 
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Now I know, dust cover, on my loaded PMAGs now.  Love this site, always learning.

mm
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Too bad for him; more for us.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not to worry! As long as you don't exceed the design limits of the polymer you should be able to keep them loaded indefinitely without issue. Heck, I've got magazines at my desk that have been fully loaded for almost eight years now (no Impact/Dust Cover use either) and have no feedlip creep.  And as always, if you ever do have an issue we'll take care of you.
View Quote

This kind of customer service is what makes America great. I just keep drinking magpul koolaid bc of shit like this. Second tour to Afghanistan in a month and I'll be using pmags like last time however I have to source them. Why? Bc I trust them with my life. Same as last time in ,'09. Still have one of those mags and it's flawless. 

Magpul and SF for the MFW. Customer service like this with a great product to boot is American exceptionalism.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:05:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You are going to look funny running downt the street, rifle in hand and your pants falling down because your pockets are stuffed with pmags.
View Quote

Or spaghetti :(((
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:20:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:36:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 4:13:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Lancer L5AWM's. Steel feedlips, steel mag latch stop. Enough said.
I do have quite a few M2's and M3's. I do NOT load them as my HD/SD mags (they are my range mags). AWM's for the long haul (no worries of petty stuff like feed lip spread).
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#22]
PRO Mag is a close copy of a Magpul Pmag and I think this is where you all hear this tired old shit coming from. 

I just had three PRO Mags warrantied because a friend behind the iron curtain put them in his attic while loaded.  The followers would not move smoothly through the mag body after a few months of summer heat.

They warrantied them, no questions asked, but it is important not to confuse them with Magpul's products. I was surprised they are made in Phoenix AZ.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Promag is overall American made junk. Anyone that confuses their PMAG clone with Magpul are mouth-breathers.

When I used to be stuck in CA, I had a Promag 10rd 20rd body steel mag. Non drop free, tight in the magwell, and quite a few FTFs. Now its kept to seal the magwell when I paint ARs.

I found a Promag Glock 17 mag out in the desert last month, spring and steel reinforcement rusted up. After cleaning it in Coke and silicone wiping the formerly rusted parts it surprisingly functions, no failures yet. I will continue to run it hard but unlike my OEM Glock and ETS mags this will be a range mag only.

As for Magpul, I got M1 mags I bought between 2008-2009 that have been run hard and still work great. I haven't seen any cracked feed lips, especially from the FDE windowed PMAGs I took with me to Afghanistan. The only crack I've seen is on one of my buddies black M1 PMAG, crack going down the spine. I traded him a black windowed PMAG so I could take the spring and follower out of that now junk body.
My SHTF mags include both Lancer AWM and M3 PMAGs. I still got many well used M1 & M2 mags along with USGI w/Magpul followers that I use on the range.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And that you have a mechanical bond between your entire feed lip assembly and the mag body to worry about?

View Quote

I don't think anyone worries about it because there is not a single time when it has failed.  Do you know of any such failures??
I don't think there has been a structural failure of a Lancer magazine from normal use.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You do realize that entire steel magazines were subject to a stop use message in SOCOM in the form of the HK mags and the failure of steel feed lips and steel mag catch?

View Quote

Comparing Lancer mags to HK mags is like comparing ETS to Thermold.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#26]
This is why Lancers are worth the cost.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:24:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You do realize that entire steel magazines were subject to a stop use message in SOCOM in the form of the HK mags and the failure of steel feed lips and steel mag catch?

And that you have a mechanical bond between your entire feed lip assembly and the mag body to worry about?

If the material itself makes you feel better, then I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't use a magazine if it gives you peace of mind.

But, the body of data and the experiences of long term users of magazines in military and hard use training environments don't support what would at the surface appear to be an easy assumption.

Steel, of course, SEEMS like it's the sturdiest option for anything. The demands we put on feed lips and magazine bodies in an AR magazine, however, do not play to the strengths of steel.
View Quote

You do realize there have been NUMEROUS YT vids of Pmag vs L5AWMs with feed lip drop tests and the Pmags failed miserably, right??
No, Steel IS better for feed lips. Let's see... the most well known mags for absolute robustness are: Glock mags (steel lined, including the feed lips), Circle (10) mags (surprise!... also steel lined, including the feed lips), and (drumroll please)... for the AR.... LANCER L5AWM's (who'd have thought!? They have ALSO have steel feed lips!).
But back to your reply... Lancer L5AWM's are not "entire steel mags". They have a steel cage. And as for "mechanical bond between feed lip assembly and mag body to worry about"?... can you please site even ONE case of them separating? No?, didn't think so. However... I can site you MULTIPLE cases of Pmag failures/cracked feed lips, etc. Shall we share those on here? Ok, didn't think so.
Give it up. Lancer L5AWM's have killed pmags (in every way) for years, and will continue to do so. No one ever said Pmags were the best, they said they were great for the money. L5AWM's cost more, but instead of "great for the money", their rep is "the best mag there is".
ETA: I LOVE Magpul stuff... it's VERY good for the price. But where I get distaste from magpul is when they get cocky and forget their place in the pecking order and act like their stuff is Corvette when it's actually Chevette. MP stuff is good... but don't ever come at us like it's the best, because it's not (and people like me will quickly correct you on that).
ETA2, oh hell... why not. I'll kick it off. How about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMsCH_WU3tc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSy26rkEPfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpEOrTbzceo

But that's just the first few. Funny thing though.. I can't find much about AWM's failing (found one video of guy with old L5 mag, not AWM). Hmm, go figure. Anywho... feel free to contrast this with "pmag better than AWM" vids/reviews/whatever.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I always question everything I see! You watch any commercial and I can pick out the deception people try to fool you with and most people get fooled. Take the new Sprint commercials "Sprint reliability is within 1% of Verizon" Key word "reliability". When half the time you cant get a signal who cares about your reliability being almost as good as Verizon. That being said when I see a youtube video testing a product I always take what I see with a grain of salt. NO product is perfect. When I see these videos on youtube I question what they may have done to the mags before their tests. Exposed them to heat or cold or a chemical or whatever. When I see a video with a Pmag dropped "1" time on the feed lips and it splits the spine.....yea  right! That being said I have used Magpul mags and they are the smoothest I have ever used. I have used Lancers and they worked great also(I actually received one of the original pre production Lancers to test). I now have Okay, D&H and Pmags. IMHO both are great mags and either will serve you well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:38:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You do realize that the primary function of a magazine is to reliably feed ammunition into the firearm under all conditions and not pound tent stakes into the ground?

Increasing impact strength is relatively simple by making the material softer (more pliable) but this reduces tensile strength which in our testing also decreases reliability. Over the years we have tested secondary support materials but the drawbacks far outweigh any advantages. Our view point has been validated by actual combat usage where the PMag is overwhelming chosen over all other commercially available magazines, combined. In fact over the last 10 years the top five commercial M4 magazines used in Iraq and Afghanistan have been PMag M2, PMag M2 window, PMag M3, PMag M3 window and the EMag (Euro version of the PMag). Even #6 is a not some other technology it is a PMag clone.

With incremental improvements over the last decade the impact strength of the PMag has steadily improved to the point it is rare to break an M3 in normal use as demonstrated in these videos.

PMag M3 vs USGI -High Speed Video with HK416 Full Auto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/jQxYXTYohPI
View Quote

Nice video, but what does it show? A "failure" of a GI aluminum mag (which is not the topic of my reply. I was commenting on hardened STEEL feedlips be superior (such as those of L5AWM) which they are). The video also does not explain the failure (was it even mag related??).
This is getting tiresome. Know your place/market/pecking order. Pmags are great CHEAP mags. Nothing more. When you want the BEST, you go to L5AWM's.
As said, show me proof that AWM's have a failure point (because there a bazillion Pmag failure point vids).
'nough said.
ETA: and by the way... I have a TON of pmags (and like them). They're cheap, and serve their purpose (being a CHEAP mag that works, nothing more), however, I prefer ETS mags for all polymer mags, but as said my go to mags are L5AWM's.
You also state Pmags are used in military... can you please provide a NSN for those (because I'm not aware of the US military ever approving them)?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:05:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I have 07 pmags that have been used and remain loaded when in my trunk since the day that I bought them.  No issues.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:11:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Is this still going on?

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#33]
You guys questioning PMAGs long term durability is just plain silly.  Any reports that say other wise is internet derp.  I like Lancers too, but there is absolutely no evidence that suggests they are more durable than PMAGs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Pmag's are my go to magazine. Looks like they are the go to magazine for the USMC now too. Works for me and speaks to their durability.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/12/19/usmc-authorizes-gen-iii-pmag-for-m27/#comment-900184
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Pmag's are my go to magazine. Looks like they are the go to magazine for the USMC now too. Works for me and speaks to their durability.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/12/19/usmc-authorizes-gen-iii-pmag-for-m27/#comment-900184
View Quote

Wow..that's impressive.

Might be in for 10 more..
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#38]
There's some good news in a world full of WTF.  

The Gen M3 should have been the USMC's mag ever since they fixed the top round transposition issue. I'm surprised the bunch that brought us the tan follower haven't tried to get Center Industries to make a plastic mag.  You know, since they have all those great ideas and all.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top