BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/8/2016 11:29:52 PM EDT
I'm just curious because I've heard this and haven't seen any proof.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:35:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

bullshit is what you heard
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm just curious because I've heard this and haven't seen any proof.

bullshit is what you heard

Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:17:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I will put it like this-

I have used P Mags since they first hit the market.

I used them in Iraq and they were great, totally reliable, totally durable.  I still have those mags.  

I took the same mags to a class a couple of years later and the had doublefeeds regularly.  You could bounce the mag down onto your leg and rounds would volcano out the top.  It wasn't the springs...

I bought new P Mags and took them to Afghanistan with me.  They worked great, thousands of rounds of all kinds of ammo including M855A1.  

Fast fwd a year...same issue...

I don't think P Mags age well.  

Then again, mags are not supposed to last forever.  Every one of my "old" P Mags fails the slap test (load 15 rounds, slap the bottom of the mag).  I have very old USG mags from Colt that pass it...some from other vendors that don't pass it.  

It seems like a good test to diagnose reliability to a degree.  Kyle Lamb used it in his book.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#5]
polymer, especially if it's under constant stress, (like on the feedlips) will fail eventually. polymer does not have the same strength as metal.

the Russians figured that out ages ago, that's why their "bakelite"/ polymer AK mags have a steel "cage" encompassing the feedlips and lock up,  that as well as if the feedlips get damaged, it will just damage the plastic covering  over the steel lips. it won't make the mag unusable

Pmags for what they are, are good enough for the average shooter.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I will put it like this-

I used them in Iraq and they were great, totally reliable, totally durable.  I still have those mags.  

I took the same mags to a class a couple of years later and the had doublefeeds regularly.  You could bounce the mag down onto your leg and rounds would volcano out the top.  It wasn't the springs...

I bought new P Mags and took them to Afghanistan with me.  They worked great, thousands of rounds of all kinds of ammo including M855A1.  

Then again, mags are not supposed to last forever.  Every one of my "old" P Mags fails the slap test (load 15 rounds, slap the bottom of the mag).  I have very old USG mags from Colt that pass it...some from other vendors that don't pass it.  

It seems like a good test to diagnose reliability to a degree.  Kyle Lamb used it in his book.  

YMMV
View Quote

I have a 20 round Pmag that I used mostly for Prairie Dog shooting that now does this.  Worked fine the first couple trips.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a few that have been loaded for years now and no issues at all.  They're also not heavily used ones either .
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I beat the shit out of M2 window mag attempting to get the window to pop out. The window stayed and still use that mag. If you want mags that will still be around in four decades get GI mags to store.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#9]
After reading this thread I regret buying the pmags that I did buy. I made sure to buy at least 50% usgi but I did waste money on maybe 40 pmags. I guess I need to buy about $400 worth of d&hs now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After reading this thread I regret buying the pmags that I did buy. I made sure to buy at least 50% usgi but I did waste money on maybe 40 pmags. I guess I need to buy about $400 worth of d&hs now.
View Quote

The answer is buy both
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not to worry! As long as you don't exceed the design limits of the polymer you should be able to keep them loaded indefinitely without issue. Heck, I've got magazines at my desk that have been fully loaded for almost eight years now (no Impact/Dust Cover use either) and have no feedlip creep.  And as always, if you ever do have an issue we'll take care of you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to worry! As long as you don't exceed the design limits of the polymer you should be able to keep them loaded indefinitely without issue. Heck, I've got magazines at my desk that have been fully loaded for almost eight years now (no Impact/Dust Cover use either) and have no feedlip creep.  And as always, if you ever do have an issue we'll take care of you.

Thanks. I know I have a gen 1 20rnder that's been loaded since I bought it, only used it one or twice, got to test it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#14]
The Magpul dust cover relieves the stress on the feed lips when storing mags loaded. Why not use them and not have to worry about it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 12:54:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Magpul dust cover relieves the stress on the feed lips when storing mags loaded. Why not use them and not have to worry about it?
View Quote

Who has time to take the covers off when you are in a shtf scenario?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:03:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Hard to tell what might be going on there, but a true double feed (two rounds trying to feed into the chamber at the same time) is extremely rare. While very uncommon, you might have a cracked spine.  Of course that is one of the advantages of a quality polymer mag- while a metal magazine might dent and deform slightly rendering it less reliable yet still visually look ok, a PMAG can only be broken (and it's very hard to accomplish that.)  Until then, there should be no dimensional changes and it should run the same as it did when new.  Feel free to contact us anytime for diagnosis.

Regarding rounds popping out when you slap the bottom of a partially loaded mag, that is always a possibility with any double stack magazine and is not a good indicator as to its functionality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will put it like this-
YMMV

Hard to tell what might be going on there, but a true double feed (two rounds trying to feed into the chamber at the same time) is extremely rare. While very uncommon, you might have a cracked spine.  Of course that is one of the advantages of a quality polymer mag- while a metal magazine might dent and deform slightly rendering it less reliable yet still visually look ok, a PMAG can only be broken (and it's very hard to accomplish that.)  Until then, there should be no dimensional changes and it should run the same as it did when new.  Feel free to contact us anytime for diagnosis.

Regarding rounds popping out when you slap the bottom of a partially loaded mag, that is always a possibility with any double stack magazine and is not a good indicator as to its functionality.

A few cracked.  Not many.  No worries, they earned it.  I replace mags about every time I wear out a set of boots.  They did their job when needed and were totally reliable.  I trust them...I just buy new ones now and then.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#17]
All my loaded mags are Lancers. All my range mags are Magpul Gen2's (which have been 100%) but I wouldn't lose sleep if all I could have were Gen2 Pmags.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, but we are talking about LONG TERM storage here right?
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just wondering, how many SHTF scenarios have you been in?

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#20]
My training mags are gen 1 PMAGs.  Been through a handful of courses and have been responsible for launching near every round I've fired in the past however many years.  Still working perfectly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct,,, if your worried about SHTF,,, why is a loaded mag not already in your weapon?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 1:05:35 AM EDT
[#22]
So is it worth my time to unload my poly mags that are in long term storage and replace with aluminum? My stored polys are Troy, Tangodown, Magpul and Thermold.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Ive had first gen pmags loaded and well used left in my vehicle over years and zero issues with any of them.  

I'd actually like to know how to intentionally cause them to have issues as I haven't been able to do it.

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Pretty awesome when the manufacturer steps into a thread to re assure customers about their product, which I see a lot on this site...
Also make me feel better about the piles of pmags Ive been buying and loading!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Correct,,, if your worried about SHTF,,, why is a loaded mag not already in your weapon?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So... what about the mags in your chest rig? You keep covers on those?
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#27]
In reality, I don't keep covers on any of my mags.

Now that I am a civilian I don't even own a chest rig.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I can't comment on the others, but you won't have a problem with the PMAGs, either with with our without use of the Impact/Dust Cover.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is it worth my time to unload my poly mags that are in long term storage and replace with aluminum? My stored polys are Troy, Tangodown, Magpul and Thermold.

I can't comment on the others, but you won't have a problem with the PMAGs, either with with our without use of the Impact/Dust Cover.

Hi Justin - I'm wondering if you can describe the testing Magpul has done to duplicate the effects of 5-10 years (or longer) of full magazine storage can have on the reliability of PMAGs?

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Used them on 2 deployments with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I just have about 100 NIW and is one ever fail I will just replace it.

A lifetime of mags only costs the price of a AR, so why not buy a 100

Or so.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No need for us to duplicate the effects, we actually have a number of magazines that have been fully loaded, with no cover on, for quite a number of years.  I've even got some sitting on my desk here going on eight years now with no measurable feed lip creep.

Also bear in mind that we have many millions of our mags in circulation, with first production of the PMAG going back to early 2007, and negative effects of long term storage is something we just never hear about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi Justin - I'm wondering if you can describe the testing Magpul has done to duplicate the effects of 5-10 years (or longer) of full magazine storage can have on the reliability of PMAGs?

No need for us to duplicate the effects, we actually have a number of magazines that have been fully loaded, with no cover on, for quite a number of years.  I've even got some sitting on my desk here going on eight years now with no measurable feed lip creep.

Also bear in mind that we have many millions of our mags in circulation, with first production of the PMAG going back to early 2007, and negative effects of long term storage is something we just never hear about.

I am grateful a manufacturer stepped in to add feedback. I have used PMAGS for 5 years with no issues- it really boggles my mind what people expect out of a $10.00-$12.00 slab of polymer (GEN 2).

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi Justin,

I certainly appreciate your taking the time to respond to consumer questions here in the forum.  Understand that I have a great deal of respect for Magpul and own many Magpul products.  I hope my question didn't come off in a negative way.  

Ultimately, I was just curious to know what sort of formal testing protocols (if any) have been applied to PMAGs.  The numbers of magazines tested, the methodology, etc.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Magazines are a disposable commodity. They were originally designed to be a single-use item. Cheap, aluminum, disposable. Even today, a USGI magazine full of anything but blasting fodder costs less than the 30 rounds in it. Don't get attached to your mags. If you have one that has issue, trash it and move on.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm sure In the near future we will be able to 3d print magazine bodies at home hopefully. Then we can just order springs and followers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Right after posting that I looked into 3d printing magazines and it seems there are people already working on it cool stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm sure In the near future we will be able to 3d print magazine bodies at home hopefully. Then we can just order springs and followers.
View Quote

"WTS: 3-pack decorative wire accordions!"
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:27:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Have around 170 pmags and a few GI and Lancer. I like pmag the most
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#43]
I have 20 mags for my AUG.  3 of them (2-30rd, 1-42 rd) I've been using constantly since the 90's. When/if one of them wears out or breaks, I'll cycle in a new one.  At this rate, I'll be dead by the time I get to the new production mags
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#44]
No clue here, but was there any problem with Gen 1 Pmags that prompted newer gens?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are going to look funny running downt the street, rifle in hand and your pants falling down because your pockets are stuffed with pmags.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You are going to look funny running downt the street, rifle in hand and your pants falling down because your pockets are stuffed with pmags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No streets to run down where I live, I happen to live in one of those areas that I have to use a snowmobile in the winter to get to my house!

If shit hits the fan, I will be one of the last ones they get to!

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a bunch of Pmags I bought, loaded them, and tossed them in a fat .50 can (without the covers! oh noes!), and then tossed that can in the back of my ammo storage rack and completely forgot about the entire thing. That was about 8 years ago. A couple months ago I decided it would be useful to take inventory of all the ammo I have and I discovered that can full of loaded Pmags. It was like finding a $20 bill in a jacket pocket you haven't worn since last winter, but better.

I decided I would take a mag and test for functionality. I took one of the mags out, went out back in my place, did a mag dump, loaded it and did another couple mag dumps, then ran it over with my truck a couple times, then did a few more mag dumps. Worked flawlessly.

I'll take another one out and abuse it in another 8 years and let you know how it does.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 5:31:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a bunch of Pmags I bought, loaded them, and tossed them in a fat .50 can (without the covers! oh noes!), and then tossed that can in the back of my ammo storage rack and completely forgot about the entire thing. That was about 8 years ago. A couple months ago I decided it would be useful to take inventory of all the ammo I have and I discovered that can full of loaded Pmags. It was like finding a $20 bill in a jacket pocket you haven't worn since last winter, but better.

I decided I would take a mag and test for functionality. I took one of the mags out, went out back in my place, did a mag dump, loaded it and did another couple mag dumps, then ran it over with my truck a couple times, then did a few more mag dumps. Worked flawlessly.

I'll take another one out and abuse it in another 8 years and let you know how it does.
View Quote

Sweet thanks for the data point.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Pretty awesome when the manufacturer steps into a thread to re assure customers about their product, which I see a lot on this site...

Also make me feel better about the piles of pmags Ive been buying and loading!  
View Quote
+2 here Justin Beard.  I was just about to order a bunch of 20 rd. metal magazines and your comments have tempered that.  I originally went w/Pmags (G3) since they do not dent and are quieter than metal mags.  Plus I like the idea of the top magazine cover putting a bit of pressure on the cartridge stack and adding some dirt protection.  But I do load one less round than max.- just because :-)  All of my Pmags are loaded and stored.  Older metal mags used for the range.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is good to know. I have a pile of about 30 Pmags and plan to get another 20 before election. If HRC gets elected, I don't want to shopping for mags on Nov 3rd and beyond.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top