BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have several years of experience with Gen M2 PMAGS, and have been using Gen M3's since they debuted.  

If your rifle will run them, I don't think you can beat a Gen M3 PMAG.  Proven reliability.  Great grip texture.  A Variety of capacity sizes.  The window option is great.  Unfortunately, I have one billet lower rifle which I use in 3 Gun competition that isn't compatible with Gen M3 PMAGs.  So I've been looking at other options.

Gen M2 PMags are certainly robust and reliable but don't have the grip texture advantages of the Gen M3 - they're really pretty slick IMHO, which is a big disadvantage in 3 Gun.  But they do have the window option.  

I've been giving the Lancer L5AWM a try.  As much as I like the window option in PMAGs, I dislike the look of see-through magazines.  It's purely an aesthetics thing, which shouldn't matter but somehow does.  So I've been trying the opaque black ones in both 20 and 30 round sizes.  Aesthetically, they do look nice.  Their polymer feels "cheap" or perhaps lest robust to me than the polymer which PMAG uses.  But it could well actually be more robust for all I know.  In terms of grip, it's somewhat better than the Gen M2 PMAG, but not as good as a Gen M3 PMAG.  The Lance has some nice texture on the sides, but when I grip a mag, very little of my hand actually rests against the long sides.  It's the short sides (front and back) where you need some no-slip stuff happening, and the  L5AWM actually comes up short in this regard.  

I'm also giving Hexmags a try.  I've got two of their Series 1, and four of their Series 2.  I like the color options for the followers and base plate...but it's an expensive option to take.  The grip tape you can buy for the mags gives them a neat look, but doesn't do much for grip because (again like with the Lancers) most of your purchase comes from the short ends, not the long sides.  Fortunately, the Hexmags are well designed and provide about as good a grip as do Gen M3 PMAGs.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Again, the VAST majority of people will never go to war. If you want to drop the coin because it's a hobby and it's cool I get it. But make no mistake companies are in this to make money and they do that by trying to convince us that if we don't have their product we have air soft type equipment and will die due to equipment failure the next time there is a minor social disturbance.

Not to mention there is a group of people in the community who are elitist. Snobs that will talk down to others who don't have the best of the best. It's ridiculous.

View Quote

The general vibe of this forum over the last half decade or so has been that your magazine needs to be able to withstand being run over by a tank and being shot full of bullet holes and still function.  Now company produces a virtually UNBREAKABLE magazine and still everyone wonders why everyone wants them?? Ironically, the few posts I've seen from Lancer here they seem to care less about convincing anyone here to buy their stuff.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They moved to TX for a reason. TX has a proud history of not giving a shit. Try it sometime. Either way, I have enough to cover me and mine no matter what happens. OP didn't ask about USGI's he asked about Lancers. I've seen MRAP's, A1's, and HMMWV's shattered and not repairable, too. So what? Nothing is indestructible, given enough outside influence. I didn't see a single person here advocating against USGI's, just answering the OP's question and PMags vs Lancers. Most people here have all said all three have benefits and drawbacks. Beaten to death enough now?

What do we use stateside? USGI's 99% of the time, because reg's abound. What do we use over there? Usually polymer because weight starts to matter more and resupply is an issue. Don't like them, don't use them. OP got his question answered by lots of folks with good points brought up, and he didn't ask about GI mags. Now, back to the topic...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]

You are under the impression that you will be able buy 30 round magazines in 30 years?  I guess that is where we disagree.  I'm betting on them being banned, and the companies that make them not being in business unless they switch to 10 rounders.  

I have seen many pieces of plastic shattered that were not repairable, not just cracked.  You say it has been beaten to death, could not that same thing have been said about your comment?

They moved to TX for a reason. TX has a proud history of not giving a shit. Try it sometime. Either way, I have enough to cover me and mine no matter what happens. OP didn't ask about USGI's he asked about Lancers. I've seen MRAP's, A1's, and HMMWV's shattered and not repairable, too. So what? Nothing is indestructible, given enough outside influence. I didn't see a single person here advocating against USGI's, just answering the OP's question and PMags vs Lancers. Most people here have all said all three have benefits and drawbacks. Beaten to death enough now?

What do we use stateside? USGI's 99% of the time, because reg's abound. What do we use over there? Usually polymer because weight starts to matter more and resupply is an issue. Don't like them, don't use them. OP got his question answered by lots of folks with good points brought up, and he didn't ask about GI mags. Now, back to the topic...

If manufacturer of 30 round magazines is illegal federally, the ATF and the Feds would rape anyone who dared don't is making them.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]

You are under the impression that you will be able buy 30 round magazines in 30 years?  I guess that is where we disagree.  I'm betting on them being banned, and the companies that make them not being in business unless they switch to 10 rounders.  

I have seen many pieces of plastic shattered that were not repairable, not just cracked.  You say it has been beaten to death, could not that same thing have been said about your comment?

If manufacturer of 30 round magazines is illegal federally, the ATF and the Feds would rape anyone who dared don't is making them.  Texas can't even get away with asking for IDsn to vote...

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's good mileage. Any reason for the G3 over the G2?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ran CQ drills with Magpul G2 mags average 3 times a week for 4+ years without a single failure

I sold them for what I paid for them when I switched to G3 now about 18 months no failures. I drop them step on them but do not run over them with a vehicle so perhaps my use is not relevant

I also have Lancer AWM 10 each for 10(Sight in mags) and 30 round Opaque Black (don't care for clear mags) I trust them as well as Magpul and like them as SD along with my few window Pmags because I can ID the SD ammo by the mag maker (I do have 100+ Magpul G3 as back up)

Anyone who trashes either of these fine products reminds me of a person going to a car show and after sitting in a new Mercedes goes over and sits in a comparable BMW and says it feels like a piece of junk..

You feel more comfortable with Magpul over Lancer or vise versa well great.
I am just delighted we have these and other fine choices that next year may be outlawed a much bigger concern to our mag desires

That's good mileage. Any reason for the G3 over the G2?

Sorry, don't get on her much.
Virtually no difference between G2 and G3 from a practical use point. I would not suggest you sell G2s at a loss to get G3s

However, I do prefer the smaller base on the G3 and I like the extra stippling for grabbing and changing mags but if G3s are stronger I am not pushing either hard enough to know how

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Big advantage I haven't seen mentioned here is that Lancer mags will withstand exposure to DEET, and Magouls won't. If you have an already trashed Magpul mag, or you're ok with trashing one for the sake of an experiment, spray some bug repellent on your PMag and watch what happens. "That'll never happen" people love to say, but, never say never. It will happen if you have DEET on your clothes or hands, too. What happens? The magazine melts, practically. This is a big issue if you grab the top of the magazine and have bug spray on your hands.

Even still, nothing is without their faults and some Lancer's got recalled for bad followers. They'll replace them. I own them both, plus some others and truly have no real preference, with the exception that I'd take my Lancer's in the woods with me in the summertime feeling a little more sure about them. We used several different mags overseas in the past decade+ and there I've seen high speed, low-speed, and Gucci-mags all fail in some form.

I'd say get a couple Lancer's and see if you like them, they're about the same price.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every new gun I see posted up is rocking the new clear Lancers with metal feed lips.

Any big advantages over the magpuls or is it just cosmetics?

Big advantage I haven't seen mentioned here is that Lancer mags will withstand exposure to DEET, and Magouls won't. If you have an already trashed Magpul mag, or you're ok with trashing one for the sake of an experiment, spray some bug repellent on your PMag and watch what happens. "That'll never happen" people love to say, but, never say never. It will happen if you have DEET on your clothes or hands, too. What happens? The magazine melts, practically. This is a big issue if you grab the top of the magazine and have bug spray on your hands.

Even still, nothing is without their faults and some Lancer's got recalled for bad followers. They'll replace them. I own them both, plus some others and truly have no real preference, with the exception that I'd take my Lancer's in the woods with me in the summertime feeling a little more sure about them. We used several different mags overseas in the past decade+ and there I've seen high speed, low-speed, and Gucci-mags all fail in some form.

I'd say get a couple Lancer's and see if you like them, they're about the same price.

Yup.  I ruined a briefcase,  calculator, watch and sunglasses with DEET.  Imagine what that shit does to your liver.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yup.  I ruined a briefcase,  calculator, watch and sunglasses with DEET.  Imagine what that shit does to your liver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every new gun I see posted up is rocking the new clear Lancers with metal feed lips.

DEET is a remarkably safe insect repellant according to studies dating back to 1944. Do you have a cite that shows negative effects on the liver?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

DEET is a remarkably safe insect repellant according to studies dating back to 1944. Do you have a cite that shows negative effects on the liver?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just don't soak your clothes in 100% DEET. Bug spray should be fine
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I use G3 Pmags and Brownells USGI mags with Magpul followers almost exclusively.
Here's why:
They work.
That is all.
Lancers are interesting and might work great but I rotate about 20 mags from range duty to ready to rock.
Might try one someday but I have mags that work.
And whoever said full auto fire will melt your Magpul feed lips never shot Magpul mags in a full auto because that is bullshit to the nth degree.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#10]
All my pmags are in long term storage simply because they were cheap, all my rifles use Lancers in various colors.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:58:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You're still saying you're okay with people using Pmags with they're  typically a few bucks more than GIs. But buying Lancers over Pmags is just being cool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. It's called tactical marketing. 99% of the people will never go to war. But it's an endless cycle of, "omg you don't have the newest, war ready equipment?!  Loser!!!"

Pmags have proven themselves. End of story.

And GImags haven't?  You're buying Pmags over GImags because you think they're better right? But someone buying Lancers over Pmags because they think they're better is just being cool?

Why are you putting words in my mouth?  Show me where I said, or implied, anything like that.

The OP asked a question about people changing to Lancers.   That's what I addressed. It's tactical marketing to separate people from their money. Pmags work just fine and have s proven record. I never stated gi mags didn't. The fact that you inferred that indicates something about you.

Again, the VAST majority of people will never go to war. If you want to drop the coin because it's a hobby and it's cool I get it. But make no mistake companies are in this to make money and they do that by trying to convince us that if we don't have their product we have air soft type equipment and will die due to equipment failure the next time there is a minor social disturbance.

Not to mention there is a group of people in the community who are elitist. Snobs that will talk down to others who don't have the best of the best. It's ridiculous.

I have zero problems if you or anyone else wants to spend tons of money on equipment for whatever reason satisfies you. Just don't put words in my mouth.

You're still saying you're okay with people using Pmags with they're  typically a few bucks more than GIs. But buying Lancers over Pmags is just being cool.

What is wrong with your brain?  

Show me where I even brought up GI mags?  I didn't. OP didn't. So why are some of you?  I'm guessing because YOU like them an have an inferiority complex about it.

For the last time don't put words in my mouth!  I have not said or implied anything bad about GI mags. It's not the topic of the thread. I didn't bring it up. But since some if you fucking insist on it I don't have a single problem with GI mags.

How about staying on topic?  Is there any reason to pick Lancers over Pmahs?  IMO no for the reasons I stated.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 2:02:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The general vibe of this forum over the last half decade or so has been that your magazine needs to be able to withstand being run over by a tank and being shot full of bullet holes and still function.  Now company produces a virtually UNBREAKABLE magazine and still everyone wonders why everyone wants them?? Ironically, the few posts I've seen from Lancer here they seem to care less about convincing anyone here to buy their stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make no mistake, Lancer wants us to buy their mags. And if dudes want to that's great. But if they are doing it because they think Lancers are going to serve them better in time of need I don't see why they'd think that. Pmag is battle proven and cheaper.

And if I had to pick another mag it would be ETS, not Lancer. Just preference.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 2:17:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soak your clothes in permethrin, not deet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#14]
On the subject of DEET and what it does to plastic magazines. I believe that Magpul has addressed this many times in the past here that the PMAG will handle exposure just fine. The only negative result with DEET is the windowed PMAGS. The mags still worked fine, but the clear plastic got hazy.

If I am incorrect in this, I apologize. I for one have had no issues ever with a PMAG and use several often.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's the internet. Empirical evidence is what you get. Forum members (besides Industry Partners) aren't manufacturers. OP asked for people's opinions, not links to tests. If he wanted to hear it from Magpul or Lancer, he'd have asked them. He asked us instead. Magpul's aren't DEET resistant....that's not hypothetical. Go spray one of your Magpul's with some Off Deep Woods and see what happens. That's not a cosmetic issue, either. Most people own a variety of mags. They each are winners in different ways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because I wasn't directly responding to the OP, doesn't mean it is not relevant to the conversation. The OP asked "Any big advantages over the magpuls or is it just cosmetics?"  We get empirical evidence all the time on the forum.  Molon's always excellent threads are a great example, for that matter Magpul did a great job explaining their testing and ways they are superior to a USGI.  For that reason I am fan of their mags much more so then USGI, mainly because of their resistance to deformed feedlips.  We didn't have to call up the manufactures for Magpul's results.  

Directly related to the OP's question is Magpul did a great job showing how they are better then USGI's. I am not aware, and neither was the OP, of any tests that show how Lancers fall in the hierarchy.   in fact it was the heart of his question.  He is still waiting for a non hypothetical answer.  Is there an advantage, I don't know, but when I can buy a 1/3rd more mags by going with pmags why would anyone switch other then cosmetics without any test?

Yeah, it's the internet. Empirical evidence is what you get. Forum members (besides Industry Partners) aren't manufacturers. OP asked for people's opinions, not links to tests. If he wanted to hear it from Magpul or Lancer, he'd have asked them. He asked us instead. Magpul's aren't DEET resistant....that's not hypothetical. Go spray one of your Magpul's with some Off Deep Woods and see what happens. That's not a cosmetic issue, either. Most people own a variety of mags. They each are winners in different ways.

Come back after you know what empirical means.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then, it's a good thing that if you managed to soak your liver in DEET that your liver isn't made from plastic now isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#17]
DEET failure? I guess I have to go with GI mags until Zika goes away.  Thanks Obama.  I hope my Axe bodyspray doesn't melt my six-position stock.

I've recently purchased some Hexmags, PMags, and one Lancer mag.  I really want to like the Lancer, but it feels flimsy compared to the others.  It hasn't failed, though.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#18]
"Everyone switching to Lancer mags?"  ------- No.

"Any better than Magpul?"----- Depends on who you ask.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Make no mistake, Lancer wants us to buy their mags. And if dudes want to that's great. But if they are doing it because they think Lancers are going to serve them better in time of need I don't see why they'd think that. Pmag is battle proven and cheaper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lancer wants people to buy their stuff yet you don't see them here on the technical forum forcing their products down everyone's throat.  They rarely (actually never)get involved in the pissing matches that go on here.  As I pointed out people probably think Lancer is better because it has proven to be unbreakable.  A while back that was the only criteria anyone here cared about or talked about. I don't know if Lancer is "battle proven" or what that even means. I suspect they would perform in a "battle" the exact same as they do everywhere else.  Lancer (now along with ETS) wins all the "toughness" challenges and comparisons hands down. These two brands are in their own league in this regard nothing else comes close.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lancer wants people to buy their stuff yet you don't see them here on the technical forum forcing their products down everyone's throat.  They rarely (actually never)get involved in the pissing matches that go on here.  As I pointed out people probably think Lancer is better because it has proven to be unbreakable.  A while back that was the only criteria anyone here cared about or talked about. I don't know if Lancer is "battle proven" or what that even means. I suspect they would perform in a "battle" the exact same as they do everywhere else.  Lancer (now along with ETS) wins all the "toughness" challenges and comparisons hands down. These two brands are in their own league in this regard nothing else comes close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm just saying, in passing, that pmags have actually been used by members of the us military in war and performed. I don't believe Lancer or ETS have. So if the main criteria was actual performance in time of need, Pmag should be the choice.

I don't have anything against any of these mags. I have all of them. I'm just giving the argument that if we remove feelings out if the equation GI mags have performed the longest in "real war use" and pmags have performed well too with the added benefits that polymer brings.

Lancer and ETS might perform too. Probably in fact. But we don't really know. So if my life depends on it I want a definite, not a probably. To me this is all philosophical anyway. I'm sure any of these mags will serve civilians just fine in any situation.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm just saying, in passing, that pmags have actually been used by members of the us military in war and performed. I don't believe Lancer or ETS have. So if the main criteria was actual performance in time of need, Pmag should be the choice.

I don't have anything against any of these mags. I have all of them. I'm just giving the argument that if we remove feelings out if the equation GI mags have performed the longest in "real war use" and pmags have performed well too with the added benefits that polymer brings.

Lancer and ETS might perform too. Probably in fact. But we don't really know. So if my life depends on it I want a definite, not a probably. To me this is all philosophical anyway. I'm sure any of these mags will serve civilians just fine in any situation.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

During my multiple deployments I believe I've seen a few lancer magazines.  They have been out for quite some time now so I would find it impossible that none have made it to a war zone.  I've even seen a tapco polymer magazine in Afghanistan.  What does that mean about them??
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#22]

I recall a guy posting here about 6 months or so ago that his unit had purchased and issued Lancer mags fwiw.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top