Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2016 12:09:36 PM EDT

I searched the 6 pages of history available, saw no postings relevant to this question.

So, I have an opportunity to pick up some ASC mags w/ grey plastic  followers stamped "5.45"

I know, I could take the mag, rifle, and 30 rounds of 5.56 to the range and test this, but I'm hoping somebody already knows the answers.

2 questions:

Will they  feed 5.56 as is?  

If not,  can I swap out grey followers for the inexpensive old light-green USGI followers and have reliable mags?

I laid the ASC mag on top of a USGI Okay mag, and the curvature seems identical, not sure about the feed lips though, nor the inside of the mag body.

Anybody got experience w/ this?

Thanks,

kmk
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Protip:  Use google to search the site with the "site:ar15.com" tag along with your search words.

In my experience, the feedlips are the difference, not the follower, since the taper is different and the neck starts at a different location on the x39 rounds, and it's the feedlips that determine presentation angle and feeding reliability.

I got rid of my SAR-3 5.56 AK many years ago because the only mags available at the time were modified 5.45x39 AK74 mags, and they still did not feed very reliably.

So, an umodified 5.45x39 magazine will indeed feed 5.56x45 as-is, but I don't expect it to do so dependably, and even modifying the feedlips will not render it reliable, in my experience.  The follower will make no difference at all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Put them up for trade with somebody for USGI 5.56 mags rather than play the game if they do or do not work.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top