Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2016 12:49:39 PM EDT
This is my first official post here so I thought I would show you guys one or two of my pmags I stippled to see what you think. I recently bought a Glock 19 and the range/shop I bought it from had a few custom stippled pistols, which really intrigued me so I thought I would try my hand at this and eventually work my way up to polymer pistol frames. I took a few of my mags and a polymer mag extension I also recessed sanded and stippled back into the store and they now want me to stipple their mags and maybe eventually some polymer pistol frames once I do mine and let them check it out!

This "sandpaper" texture is by far my favorite look and feel that I get with the fine tip.

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks.

Edit: I initially decided to stipple my mags mainly to practice this modification and I had seen/heard of other people stippling theirs...Honestly I think the first time I heard of mags being stippled was while I was watching Costa in the first "Art of the Tactical Carbine" series while he was instructing his class. He explained that this was a way for you to know which mags were yours over anyone else on the ground if you are in a drill situation and it also gives you a little extra traction between the mag surface and your hand in every day handling at a range or extreme situations in wet conditions or if blood is on it (very extreme).

None of the stippled areas go into the magwell so it does not hinder them from being able to drop freely. What you see in the pictures is very light to the touch (probably like a 400 grit sandpaper or even more)
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
looks good (and labor intensive)!

How long did it take to do a mag?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Great job.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate it!

This fine texture took me about an hour and a half at the time. Probably a little less now. If I use larger tips, maybe 45 mins...
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks GREAT, well done

The reason you saw links and odd stuff is because pics don't just pop up to someone with 1 post, or even 50...
Team members can see them and have to approve them. You know, just incase your a freak

Cant have anyone posting anything.

Again I think you did a great job, very even.

My eyes hurt thinking of trying that.

Oh and Welcome
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks GREAT, well done

The reason you saw links and odd stuff is because pics don't just pop up to someone with 1 post, or even 50...
Team members can see them and have to approve them. You know, just incase your a freak

Cant have anyone posting anything.

Again I think you did a great job, very even.

My eyes hurt thinking of trying that.

Oh and Welcome
View Quote

Yeah I ended up doing some research and found that out quickly. Makes perfect sense! I do have to lean back every now again and let my eyes re-focus. Ha

Thanks for the welcome and your comments!
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Dang, that does look like it took forever. I only did one row of the squares around one Pmag and I'll never do it again.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#7]
In no way is this meant as disrespect, but WTF is wrong with your hands? Are they made of butter?

While I can appreciate the intensive labor involved, do you have issues with your mags not dropping freely?

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]
looks great, job well done
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Great job. I stopped doing mine when I found out how annoying they are while taking them out and putting them into my mag pouches on my plate carrier.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In no way is this meant as disrespect, but WTF is wrong with your hands? Are they made of butter?

While I can appreciate the intensive labor involved, do you have issues with your mags not dropping freely?

View Quote

Not sure what you are getting at with your comments. I don't have any issues with my mags in any fashion. I did this mainly to practice stippling. Some people, apparently like yourself, don't feel any extra texture is needed on these mags to properly manipulate them. While I agree, it does give a better grip surface around the mag no matter what condition you are in. And it just flat out looks awesome.

Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks good. I don't have the patience for this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#12]
What's the benefit? Just looks cool?
It does look cool.

Assuming they drop free normally.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#13]
That looks really nice, good job

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It does look cool.

View Quote

The stippled part of the mag doesn't go into the mag well so there shouldn't be any issue with it causing them to not drop freely. I just checked on mine again. It is very much a visual thing, but I just like the extra grip it gives me. I haven't had issues before with being able to hold onto them, but I just thought it couldn't hurt to add a little extra texture to them.

Also people just use them as initial items to practice stippling on and there has really become a market for stippled mags lately. I live right beside a gun store and some of the guys that work there want me to do theirs for some $$$ and I'm not going to turn that down.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The stippled part of the mag doesn't go into the mag well so there shouldn't be any issue with it causing them to not drop freely. I just checked on mine again. It is very much a visual thing, but I just like the extra grip it gives me. I haven't had issues before with being able to hold onto them, but I just thought it couldn't hurt to add a little extra texture to them.

Also people just use them as initial items to practice stippling on and there has really become a market for stippled mags lately. I live right beside a gun store and some of the guys that work there want me to do theirs for some $$$ and I'm not going to turn that down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It does look cool.

I don't blame you, just don't sell yourself short
Its a lot of time invested...
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It does look cool.

Definitely. Average price I am seeing around is $30 to $45 for custom stencils that require more detail work. I told them I would cut them a slight deal at the store for employees. Gotta get in good and all that
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks good! I got the same result when I did mine. ive also tried different tips, and did the negative image to see how that would look. if you have a flat tip, you might even want to try a basketweave look.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#18]
</a>" /></a>" />
Here is a sample of mine.They all started out foliage.
The one on the far right I call"don't let my mags hurt your girly hands" after some dude said OWWW! when I handed him one at the range.
I am actually addicted to this..I have more patterns.These I call tree bark,dots & Girly...LOL
I did almost all of the 100 I have & did all my co-workers & shooting buds mags
Stipple madness!
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/flhawking/MAGS/20160226_174653_zpsxstny4rd.jpg</a>" />http://<a href=http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/flhawking/MAGS/20160226_174643_zpsahrz0eag.jpg</a>" />
The one on the far right I call"don't let my mags hurt your girly hands" after some dude said OWWW! when I handed him one at the range.
I am actually addicted to this..I have more patterns.These I call tree bark,dots & Girly...LOL
Stipple madness!
View Quote

What is your tool of choice and how the hell did you do the dots? Those dots are awesome but the tree bark looks easier and faster. Your average time per mag? Good job.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#20]
All I can think about is how much mud and dirt that's gonna collect.   You use your guns outside much?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What is your tool of choice and how the hell did you do the dots? Those dots are awesome but the tree bark looks easier and faster. Your average time per mag? Good job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://<a href=http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/flhawking/MAGS/20160226_174653_zpsxstny4rd.jpg</a>" />http://<a href=http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/flhawking/MAGS/20160226_174643_zpsahrz0eag.jpg</a>" />
Stipple madness!

He can tell you as well but I'm guessing a woodburner like me...the "neck" on them is shorter than most saudering irons I've seen so you can be closer to the tip, thus better control. Looks like his dots were from a medium sized round tip. I've done some as well with the medium and large tip that I will post soon.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All I can think about is how much mud and dirt that's gonna collect.   You use your guns outside much?
View Quote

I do but it's mostly backyard/range shooting with a little hog hunting mixed in when I get to go so not really dropping them on the ground much at this point. I haven't shot any with my AR since I've done these in the last few weeks. Nothing a faucet and a toothbrush can't fix. Haha
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#23]
I've never had an AR mag slip in my hands - regardless of sweat or dirt or sunscreen ...
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I do but it's mostly backyard/range shooting with a little hog hunting mixed in when I get to go so not really dropping them on the ground much at this point. I haven't shot any with my AR since I've done these in the last few weeks. Nothing a faucet and a toothbrush can't fix. Haha

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear ya.  Looks good though. Hell I have trouble scrubbing the mud out of my fixed stock sometimes, especially when it gets a little hog blood mixed in.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Weller variable temperature soldering iron with many custom made tips.
From tiny dot to blade...and a couple of woodburning tips made to fit Weller.
They get no dirtier than usual.
Hear in the land of sand & palms you have to clean no matter what.
Pop spring out & throw them in the dishwasher.
I've really come to use them as identifiers for different ammo'd mags
Plus each color variation represents color scheme of rifle used on
Probably 20-25 minutes per mag. Stocks & grips are shorter time
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Weller variable temperature soldering iron with many custom made tips.
From tiny dot to blade...and a couple of woodburning tips made to fit Weller.
They get no dirtier than usual.
Hear in the land of sand & palms you have to clean no matter what.
Pop spring out & throw them in the dishwasher.
I've really come to use them as identifiers for different ammo'd mags
Plus each color variation represents color scheme of rifle used on
Probably 20-25 minutes per mag. Stocks & grips are shorter time
View Quote

20-25 minutes is booking it! Haha. Not sure how you pull that off with the tiny tip. It takes me about 45 mins to an hour per mag, but I'm not trying to go as fast as I can. I need to try that when I do them for $$$ for other people!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#27]
These are very nice and show me that you care to do the extra stuff that will make your firearms work.  Get your first 50 posts in the technical forums and stay out of the GD until then and be very careful.  If you are military or a Vet come over with us, we tutor our cherrys a bit nicer than other folks.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top