Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2016 2:56:37 PM EDT
I've looked all over several forums and Google but haven't come up with a side by side pic yet.  Trying to compare sizes - particularly length of 20-round USGI compared to Lancer L5AWM. I have USGI, but no Lancers and no access to them locally.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a GI  handy but the Lancer should be longer. I think the 30rd Lancer is a little longer than a 30rd Pmag too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't get pics but the Lancer is slightly longer. The break line on the Lancer between the body and the base plate; the end of the USGI mag body hits right at that break line.  J
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks - that's good info.  I had read about 1/4," so that seems to jive.  Struggling with whether to get more Okays/Colt USGI or Lancers for regular/longterm use behind a bag or bipod, or for lightweight setups.  I've long been set on 30-rounders, but forgot how much I like 20s and neglected to stock them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Perfect - thank you for taking the time to put those together!  

I think you may, officially, be the first person to post side by sides of these mags on any of the forums.  

Out of curiosity, do you (or anyone else) have 1) a strong preference for either with longevity in mind [expendability being a given], and/or 2) experience using the 20-round Lancers in chest rig or belt carriers designed for 30 round mags (open-top, like Crye, Tacos, DC3, etc.)?  

At current sale prices, I'm looking at 8 Okays to 6 smoke Lancers, which is close enough for me to not worry about price too much.  

Thanks, again, for the pics.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]
That's about what I figured.  Like you, I've never much had a need/purpose for 20s, and wouldn't plan on feeding a fighting gun with them.  

I've never wished for fewer rounds downrange, but see a role for them in slower supported target practice or lightweight kicking around.  I almost never shoot from a bench or rest, so 30s will certainly remain my go to and preference.

I definitely don't see myself getting shortened pouches for novelty use, but suppose I could stuff an extra Kerlix or dressing in the bottom of pouches if I want to occasionally run 20s in regular gear for some reason.  USGIs fit perfectly in back pockets and truck doors, so I'm thinking I may have to revert.  I'll probably order the Okays for my kid when she's older or when I'm going lightweight, and maybe a couple Lancers for shits and giggles, and throwing around.

Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
While I wrote that post, you went off and made more pics of exactly what I was wondering.   I will have to mail you a ribeye and martini!  

I think I'm officially in the 'get both' boat now, but definitely see what you mean about carrying in 30 round pouches.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I keep 20s in the guns and 30s in pouches and fat 50 cans. I can't see needing more than 20 during a home invasion. If it was a truck gun (which I don't do) I'd probably opt for 30.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Just ordered some Okays from 44mag and Lancers from Brownell's, so I'll start beating them up soon and experiment a bit.  I might put my regular 30-round PMAGs on the bench for a while while I proof the new additions, so perhaps I will give the Kiwi shorty a shot if the Kerlix turns out to be too Mickey Mouse.  

I love me some Okay mags, but have grown to accepting polymer's capacity for getting the crap beat out of it.  I'm trying to remember all of my time before GWOT and PMAGs where I victimized aluminum without concern and experienced relatively few failures, but I think I'll let the Lancers endure the brunt of my abuse.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Lancer is much better choice when pulling ot out of a mag pouch like the ones shown, have enough mag to get a good grip and not trying to push the bottom of the pouch to get the USGU 20 rounder out. Now, try pulling that aluminum 20-rounder out in a high stress situation.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#14]
No doubt!  I plan on using these for recreation and marksmanship training, and not professional or defensive use.  Unless bubba at the range loses hit shit or tweakers stage an assault on my camping spot, I won't plan on using 20s to defend myself or have to snatch under any level of stress beyond a clock or bull.  

That said, TCBA_Joe's pics are in part at fault for making me order both.  As some point they will find themselves in my belt or chest rig for range days, and I think you're absolutely right that the Lancers will be better suited for the task.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I prefer the Lancer 20's but I keep my patrol rifle loaded with an OEM Colt 20 because it won't fit in the rack with the Lancer magazine.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top