Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2016 1:17:14 PM EDT
I bought a 10 round Gen 4 the other day (5.56), just because and I've heard people talk about these tabs on the top.  When are you supposed to use them?  When it's loaded?  Not loaded?  Only long term loaded?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a dust cover.

Mine go in the trash.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, as stated, it's a dust cover.  When gunslingers go downrange and spend long periods of time in the field, gunk can build up around the feed lips and cause issues.  You can keep them or toss them, won't help or hurt you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#3]
For those who are concerned with feed lips spreading when left loaded... the "dust cover" pushed the rounds down and take the tension off the feed lips.  Some use them for storing loaded magazine for long terms.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those who are concerned with feed lips spreading when left loaded... the "dust cover" pushed the rounds down and take the tension off the feed lips.  Some use them for storing loaded magazine for long terms.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Just curious, are you referring to Magpul mags? And is there a even newer version than the Gen 3 now?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

thats what i use
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just curious, are you referring to Magpul mags? And is there a even newer version than the Gen 3 now?
View Quote

Yes and yes.  I don't think any other brand mags call them "Pmags".   And yes, they have a Gen IV now.  I only bought the Gen IV because it was a 10 rounder and I specifically wanted a 10 rounder.  I didn't see any Gen III ten rounders.  Not even sure if there is a thing.  If I bought 20's or 30's, I might be more compelled to buy a Gen III.  I think the Gen IV's might have more of a chance of being tight in an AR, because they're made for more than one type of gun.   At least that's how I remember that conversation going last time I had it.  I usually use USGI mags.  Because I have want I want in that regard.  Although having a few pmags can't hurt.  

It seems like a stupid extra step to use that clip thing and I hope it's not really considered a necessity.  A friend of mine said he had a USGI split and this helps with that.  I'm like, really?  A USGI split?  I guess it's possible.  Never saw that before.  But I've definitely not seen it all.  Nor have I run any  of mine all that hard.   He must've used his a lot.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
There is no such thing as a gen 4. What you have is a gen m3

And no the covers are not needed for storing loaded. Just an extra bit of insurance.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes and yes.  I don't think any other brand mags call them "Pmags".   And yes, they have a Gen IV now.  I only bought the Gen IV because it was a 10 rounder and I specifically wanted a 10 rounder.  I didn't see any Gen III ten rounders.  Not even sure if there is a thing.  If I bought 20's or 30's, I might be more compelled to buy a Gen III.  I think the Gen IV's might have more of a chance of being tight in an AR, because they're made for more than one type of gun.   At least that's how I remember that conversation going last time I had it.  I usually use USGI mags.  Because I have want I want in that regard.  Although having a few pmags can't hurt.  

It seems like a stupid extra step to use that clip thing and I hope it's not really considered a necessity.  A friend of mine said he had a USGI split and this helps with that.  I'm like, really?  A USGI split?  I guess it's possible.  Never saw that before.  But I've definitely not seen it all.  Nor have I run any  of mine all that hard.   He must've used his a lot.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where are you seeing these Gen 4 mags? Gen 2 mags are "colt pattern" and fit MOST AR15. The Gen 3 is the newest (unless there is a magical Gen 4) that is compatible with HK pattern AND Colt pattern mag-wells. Pretty sure you are talking Gen 3 mags.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not buying any more till the Gen V's come out.  Crap, I buy a hundred, then they get the update, sell, buy a hundred of the update, sell, next update.  I'm thinking the Gen 5 will have all the bugs worked out of them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:36:56 AM EDT
[#11]
gen 2 are made for AR15, gen 3 are made for a compromise for multiple 5.56 platforms, there is no gen 4.  dust covers are dumb.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote
This always gets posted but magpul says its unnecessary

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, no.

M3 are the current generation.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry about that.  I guess I didn't look at the package well enough.  I could've swore there was a 4 in there.  I'm getting old.  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top