Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2016 10:37:33 PM EDT
I recently bought 5 straight 20rd GI mags, and I noticed that they all have metal anti-tilt followers. I've never seen a metal follower in a mag--even the older GI mags I've seen had the black plastic ones.

Are these decent followers? I only paid $20 shipped for the lot ($4 each), so as long as they are good enough for range mags, I'll be happy. I also noticed that 2 are made by Colt, and 3 are made by Universal, which I hadn't heard of before so that was interesting, as was the "M16A1" stamped on the bottom of them.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few of those mags. they are GTG as is, just replace the spring like mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Those are the BEST and I use to run those exclusively in my M16
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know where to buy these alloy followers? I have some newer 20rd mags that I'd like to try them in.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never not seen a metal follower in the gi 20 round mags.
If you recall black plastic ones, you must be thinking of 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The newer ones are black plastic.

There is a company selling replacement followers for them that are cast aluminum (the same as the originals)

Link to metal followers
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a bunch of those 20's.  I use them for highpower shooting.  The springs are ancient.  Never had a problem.  Great mags.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't mean actually GI-issue when I say GI mags. I'm just referring to the GI-style, straight, metal, STANAG mag. I have a few that have plastic followers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#9]
And thanks for the info everyone! Sounds like these will definitely be good to go. For the price, I'm happy with them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I recently bought 5 straight 20rd GI mags, and I noticed that they all have metal anti-tilt followers. I've never seen a metal follower in a mag--even the older GI mags I've seen had the black plastic ones.

Are these decent followers? I only paid $20 shipped for the lot ($4 each), so as long as they are good enough for range mags, I'll be happy. I also noticed that 2 are made by Colt, and 3 are made by Universal, which I hadn't heard of before so that was interesting, as was the "M16A1" stamped on the bottom of them.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/V23VirP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jvBqeOe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IUOxFht.jpg
View Quote

They are not anti-tilt followers.  The followers in straight 20 rd magazines must tilt so "anti-tilt" does not apply to straight magazines.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Every 20 rd magazine Ive ever seen in the Army had the metal follower.  The plastic 20 rd follower is new and I think it was introduced after the military stopped buying 20s..  I wouldn't be concered for one over the other  plastic followers seem to work fine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, what is the trick to getting the spring/follower out of the mag body. I have several of these but have a few that need cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OK, what is the trick to getting the spring/follower out of the mag body. I have several of these but have a few that need cleaning.
View Quote

You just gotta wiggle it until it comes out and the same thing to get the follower and spring back in.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:32:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone know where to buy these alloy followers? I have some newer 20rd mags that I'd like to try them in.
View Quote

'Newer' 20s?  Straight or curved?
If straight, you will find no real advantage for the alloy follower other than the cool factor.  (But hey this is ARFCOM, the cool factor is reason enough.)

If curved, do NOT put an alloy follower in it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#15]
If you only want one or two followers from the above link, the shipping is very high.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If straight, you will find no real advantage for the alloy follower other than the cool factor.  (But hey this is ARFCOM, the cool factor is reason enough.)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For 30 rd mags the cool factor here is changing one type of plastic follower for another type of plastic follower
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The US military have spent millions of dollars and a great amount of resources swapping, "one type of plastic follower for another type of plastic follower" three times in the last two decades (and are now trying for a fourth).

Probably is a good reason for this.

Black take it back, Green start to lean, Tan WAS the plan but Gray is the (new) way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For 30 rd mags the cool factor here is changing one type of plastic follower for another type of plastic follower

The US military have spent millions of dollars and a great amount of resources swapping, "one type of plastic follower for another type of plastic follower" three times in the last two decades (and are now trying for a fourth).

Black take it back, Green start to lean, Tan WAS the plan but Gray is the (new) way.

I was referring to people on this forum, not the military........
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Those are rock solid magazines as is.
No need to change anything in them.
Clean occasionally as needed.
I prefer them to 30 round mags, especially for range work.
I have a bunch of these, all Colts except for a couple of Adventure Line.
Never had one fail.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Those are rock solid magazines as is.
No need to change anything in them.
Clean occasionally as needed.
I prefer them to 30 round mags, especially for range work.
I have a bunch of these, all Colts except for a couple of Adventure Line.
Never had one fail.
Thanks
View Quote

This.  They don't need any upgrades or modifications, with either plastic or metal followers.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#23]
You did good. 20's are the cat's meow for range work . Metal follower is old school that works on that style mag . Enjoy .. Wardawg
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a bunch of those 20's.  I use them for highpower shooting.  The springs are ancient.  Never had a problem.  Great mags.
View Quote

Me too.

Mine are going on 25 years service, with cleaning only every once in a long while.
Used at least every other weekend.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They could have saved millions in the long run if they just adopted your excellent followers. I hate USGI because the majority of feeding issues I had were with them, from black to even the newer tan. I have a special hatred for tan since the hump is reversed, spring is not backwards compatible and I had two new in plastic from the armory mags that gave me double feeds during pre-deployment training before my last deployment.

My primary go to mags are PMAGs and Lancers but my SOP is to retrofit any USGI mag I get with Magpul followers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There is a company selling replacement followers for them that are cast aluminum (the same as the originals)

Link to metal followers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to metal followers

Are those any good? I don't know enough about the new black followers in my Okay Industries 20rd mags to know if they're worth replacing. I have four old Aluminum follower Colts that run fantastically in every gun, all they need are new springs every few years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Are those any good? I don't know enough about the new black followers in my Okay Industries 20rd mags to know if they're worth replacing. I have four old Aluminum follower Colts that run fantastically in every gun, all they need are new springs every few years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to metal followers

I've got some aftermarket metal ones (I think the same mfg) and they work about the same as the black follower in the 20rd mags.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top