Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2016 8:17:42 PM EDT
Hi, im new here... just bought my first ar-15 copy, a smith and wesson M&P 15 2. I have been shooting guns for pretty much my whole life, im 25 but in no way do i consider myself an expert. i think im really going to like this forum and i hope to learn alot.

So i have several magpul p mags, my gun came with a pmag and i bought about 6 more p mags and two aluminum brownell grey mags, i hope those work out well... so in a video i watched on brownells website they said they supply mags to American troops with their mags they make in house??? did i understand wrong? Ive read US troops were using pmags but there was an order sent from the high brass not to use PMAGS anymore and to use their issued mags only... i have ZERO military experience but im sure some guys still use their pmags... so my question is what are standard issue mags for our troop in terms of their m4 carbines??? also, are they not as good as magpu pmagsl?

Sorry for the noob question... just curious. also could anyone point me into the right direction of US GI mags? like a link?
thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The pmag issue is that they wouldn't fit into the mag well of the Marine's new RPK M27 IAR. I have no doubt that was intentional by HK who also has a magazine they are trying to sell to .mil. So the USMC said no poly mags, AL only. I don't know the current status on that.

Brownells does or did have a USGI contract. They are good mags. Buy some so you have USGI and in case pmags suffer from age issues in 20 years. But keep them in your safe and shoot with pmags.

I've not followed this for a while. If I'm wrong someone will surely pitch a bitch correct me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The pmag issue is that they wouldn't fit into the mag well of the Marine's new RPK M27 IAR. I have no doubt that was intentional by HK who also has a magazine they are trying to sell to .mil. So the USMC said no poly mags, AL only. I don't know the current status on that.

Brownells does or did have a USGI contract. They are good mags. Buy some so you have USGI and in case pmags suffer from age issues in 20 years. But keep them in your safe and shoot with pmags.

I've not followed this for a while. If I'm wrong someone will surely pitch a bitch correct me.
View Quote
   thanks for the information. I will test the Brownell mags out for functionality reasons 3-4 times before I put them in my safe. I just feel like I can never have enough mags and I'm sure other guys here feel the same... Forgot to mention I did buy a promag ar-15 mag which is a 20 rounder... Not a fan of promag even though they did work fine with this gun I have several promags that wouldn't fit or even function in a few aks I have... Which is to be expected really cause all of the ak varierients out there. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The PMag ban was in the USMC; the Army has/uses them.

I don't know how they get in the system but they are.

The "standard" issue GI mags that I have seen are made by OKAY (which is also known as NHTMG), D&H, Brownell's, Center Ind.

We rec'd a bunch of BCMs (I think they were made by D&H) a while back; they were among the nicest (best surface coating/treatment) AR mags I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 12:30:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The "standard" issue GI mags that I have seen are made by OKAY (which is also known as NHTMG), D&H, Brownell's, Center Ind.

We rec'd a bunch of BCMs (I think they were made by D&H) a while back; they were among the nicest (best surface coating/treatment) AR mags I have ever seen.
View Quote

You were issued BCM marked mags?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:46:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Affirm.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:51:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have the new mags with the copied magpul feed lip angles made it into distribution?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:58:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Have the new mags with the copied magpul feed lip angles made it into distribution?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're supposed to get those right after we start getting some sort of improved bolt.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Affirm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Affirm.

Cool.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#9]
As I understand it, units have some latitude on purchases allowing them to purchase items not in the "official" supply chain.

D&H & BCM have never had an official U.S. Military contract

In the last decade...

Brownells
Center Industries
Colt (manufactured by Okay Industries)
H&K (procurement STOPPED due to issues with the magazines)
Okay Industries (who has produced more M-16 magazines than all others combined)
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We're supposed to get those right after we start getting some sort of improved bolt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Improved bolt? That's fascinating and honestly it's about time. A bolt built for M855A1, plus a magazine designed for M855A1......are you pulling my chain

Also if you think in trolling...I'm not, Army had power points and discussions on the new magazine to remove damage to the rifle from the steel penetrator. Feed angles mimic closely the Pmag feed angle. My posts are 100% sincere in tech forums.

It actually sounds like a nice improvement.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Improved bolt? That's fascinating and honestly it's about time. A bolt built for M855A1, plus a magazine designed for M855A1......are you pulling my chain

http://i.imgur.com/HdaEt80.jpg
Also if you think in trolling...I'm not, Army had power points and discussions on the new magazine to remove damage to the rifle from the steel penetrator. Feed angles mimic closely the Pmag feed angle. My posts are 100% sincere in tech forums.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

98.32% chance of completing a 209rd mission? Really?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think it's an average. Says MRBS of the new magazines are 13,000.

However premature weapon wear is a huge issue with M855A1 and the majority of mags. In my testing only ETS and Pmags remove weapon wear when M855A1 is used.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for the info i appreciate it alot.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
In Afghanistan we got PMAGs given to us (Army unit). Here in the states at the range I've only seen aluminum mags (colt brand only, for the ones I actually looked at).
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That caught my eye as well.  Kinda .
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Can't go wrong with USGI 30 rd Aluminum magazines.  Still have about 13 cases (100ea) NIB Center Ind here to issue out.  The amount of rounds I've seen fired in 3 decades of heavy use is my base (black, green and tan followers).

CD
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In my testing only ETS and Pmags remove weapon wear when M855A1 is used.
View Quote

Can you be a little more specific about your testing?  The numbers I have seen are that the uppers last 40,000 rds with M855 and 20,000 rounds with M855A1.  How much of each are you shooting to reach your conclusion?  How do you measure "wear"?  What about Lancer, I thought the feed angle was better than USGI?

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can you be a little more specific about your testing?  The numbers I have seen are that the uppers last 40,000 rds with M855 and 20,000 rounds with M855A1.  How much of each are you shooting to reach your conclusion?  How do you measure "wear"?  What about Lancer, I thought the feed angle was better than USGI?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my testing only ETS and Pmags remove weapon wear when M855A1 is used.

I only had a magazine.

Final testing was basically firing 5 rounds through 6 seperate magazines to see where on the feed ramps they struck.

When fired on auto(ended up using my ranges rental lower, 4 out of 6 had the steel penetrator striking the aluminum M4 cuts.

Only Pmags and ETS mags kept the steel penetrator confined to the steel feed ramps in the barrel extension.

I need to update my post one of these days. Also Magpul guys got my stickers, thank so much!

Now granted, 5 rounds of M855A1 fired in full auto isn't definitive, but its the best I've seen on a public forum on the issues, and its obviously enough of an issue for the Army to make modifications to the aluminum GI mags.

Lancer L5AWM from what I could tell have identical feed rangles to GI mags when not supported(you can also bipod them and change the feed angle, but I didn't).
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#20]
In the USMC only issue Brownells magazines are authorized. No PMags, no HK mags, nothing. You will however still see guys with PMags occasionally. I like anything that's reliable for me. USGI, Pmags, and Lancers. Lancers being my top pick.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In the USMC only issue Brownells magazines are authorized. No PMags, no HK mags, nothing. You will however still see guys with PMags occasionally. I like anything that's reliable for me. USGI, Pmags, and Lancers. Lancers being my top pick.
View Quote

What about Colt, Okay Industries, Center?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#22]
EDIT:

Disregard all

I was very wrong. According to MARADMIN 069/15, magazines with green or tan followers are allowed. Guess I need to pay attention a little more

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I've only ever seen Okay Industries magazines. Mostly of the black and green follower varieties. We scavenged up a few tan follower mags when we got deployed, just two per Joe. Those were Okay as well. Of course I was National Guard Artillery, so the quality of our rifle magazines wasn't really a high priority. Regardless they all seemed to work well enough. I ended up packing a few personal mags from home and brought those with me. Lancers mostly as they are my go to mag in most cases. Other guys in the unit always tried to borrow them when we had to run details that required us to actually carry our M4s. Most of the guys didn't really trust the alum mags, especially the guy that had deployed before.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#24]
We were issued Emags since we traveled and trained with foreign guys pretty often and they didn't want to worry about compatibility issues. Most of us just used personal Pmags and Lancers while in the states. Our leadership was of the very rare kind that had no problem trashing old worn out mags, so GIs were rare. It got to the point at one time during a GI mag purge that if someone had a malfunction even with blanks we were told to smash the mag and toss it.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top