Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/4/2016 9:44:50 AM EDT
Saw in the Deals Thread that there are known bad batches of the Brownells 30 rd aluminum mags out there.

Can someone post what they are?

I have a bunch of unused 01-13s.

Also, what issues do the bad ones have?

thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Hhmmm, I would be interested in this also..I have bought several lots of 10 after reading the thread of the machinegun rental outfit in Nevada, who said they held up best.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Also interested in this.  
More specifically, what were the issues with this batch?  If it's something majorly wrong, I'll send them back.  If it's something that 5 minutes with a file or a dremel can fix, I'll just go ahead and keep them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#3]
A couple of years ago, some guy posted on ARFCOM that he acquired a batch of used 2009 Brownells 30 round AR mags.  Some of them had cracked feed lips. From what I remember, the pics posted showed mags that were beat to hell.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A couple of years ago, some guy posted on ARFCOM that he acquired a batch of used 2009 Brownells 30 round AR mags.  Some of them had cracked feed lips. From what I remember, the pics posted showed mags that were beat to hell.
View Quote

That was me and we obviously have different opinions of "beat to hell" but I can try to dig some out for pictures later. But I think the OP is referring to something else but I can't remember the details.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't remember the exact numbers as it's been a couple years but 20-25 out of a group of 50 made in May and June of 2009 had cracking lips. I dont consider them to be used enough to support that kind of failure rate.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Wasn't that back when C Products manufactured magazines for Brownells?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wasn't that back when C Products manufactured magazines for Brownells?
View Quote

That ended around 2005-2006.  Pretty sure Brownells have been in-house since then.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Brownells 30 round AR mags used to be made by Co-Line Manufacturing in Sully Iowa.  Maybe they still are.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That was me and we obviously have different opinions of "beat to hell" but I can try to dig some out for pictures later. But I think the OP is referring to something else but I can't remember the details.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A couple of years ago, some guy posted on ARFCOM that he acquired a batch of used 2009 Brownells 30 round AR mags. Some of them had cracked feed lips. From what I remember, the pics posted showed mags that were beat to hell.

Whoever sold you those used mags must have known that they were cracked.  Did you get your money back?

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Whoever sold you those used mags must have known that they were cracked.  Did you get your money back?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A couple of years ago, some guy posted on ARFCOM that he acquired a batch of used 2009 Brownells 30 round AR mags. Some of them had cracked feed lips. From what I remember, the pics posted showed mags that were beat to hell.

Yes the guy let me keep the cracked ones  (most weren't as bad as the one pictured) for range use and I returned the ones that were still okay for a full refund.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#11]
03-13 are the bad one's I had. Multiple fail to feed in Colts, RR, a SIG (don't remember which model), a couple of S&W's and Bushmasters

I have many Brownells mags from earlier that are perfect
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Crap, I have 03-13 mags. I've used at least a few of them and don't recall problems, but now I'll have to go try them out again.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I just checked mine they are marked 11-12 &12-12. The out side looks fine but if you look inside the mag there are cracks starting in the same place as in the picts posted. Looks like when they formed the feed lip it put a crease and weakend the lips. I checked all my other usgi mags and no such cracks in them.  REALLY sucks because I live in colorado and wont be able to buy more when these finaly crack all the way through.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:..... The out side looks fine but if you look inside the mag there are cracks starting in the same place as in the picts posted. Looks like when they formed the feed lip it put a crease and weakend the lips.....
View Quote

ALL of the 20 round Brownells mags that I had delivered this past Saturday from ammunitiondepot.com have the crease that will develop into cracks.  Some of the creases extend to the outer edge of the lip and where already there when the dry-lube coating was applied.  

These mags are dated 02-13.

DAMN!  
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Yea im pretty pissed with brownells this is the second time I have been screwed by there crappy products. Before the ban here in CO I should of just forked over the cash and got more nhgtm/okay mags insted I got the brownells for cheaper. Hopefully they will last for a while.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there a way to get these exchanged?
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Have not seen, or heard  of 20 rd mag failures.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I have one Brownell's mag from 2013 (I am at work so I don't know the exact date) that I loaded with a dummy round.  It has the crack in the same spot as the photos above.  I have never used the mag.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have not seen, or heard  of 20 rd mag failures.
View Quote

I have 2 of their older "SOCOM tan" 20rd mags that I picked up on the EE that have similar cracks, I'll check the dates codes.
I have two dozen 30rd Brownells mags from various dates, haven't seen any cracks on them.

Looks like their forming die wasn't allowing enough material into those corners. It's more of a tear under pressure then a material crack. Either their blanking geometry was wrong, or they were holding the material too tight when it was formed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Made me check my stash of mags.  Looks like my Brownell mags are 2009, 2010 dated.

Interestingly enough, I found a 1989 Labelle NIW mag with black follower.  Didn't realize I had any of those left.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:14:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
ALL of the 20 round Brownells mags that I had delivered this past Saturday from ammunitiondepot.com have the crease that will develop into cracks.  Some of the creases extend to the outer edge of the lip and where already there when the dry-lube coating was applied.  

DAMN!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:..... The out side looks fine but if you look inside the mag there are cracks starting in the same place as in the picts posted. Looks like when they formed the feed lip it put a crease and weakend the lips.....

DAMN!  

well that's just great,I got 6 from ammunitiondepot all dated 02-13  

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:10:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for bringing this back up. I wasn't aware of the situation; I've got mags to check.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#23]
*sigh* I can see the crease on the left side of the mag on 30's from 05-13, but I also see it on 20's from other dates. IMaybe it's not a big deal, but I'm not happy about seeing it on the 20's since I like straight 20's and had been buying the Brownells ones since they were cheaper than Okay's.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Does Brownells warranty their own branded products?

I've heard this claim a few times, but never seen anything definitive to confirm it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does Brownells warranty their own branded products?

I've heard this claim a few times, but never seen anything definitive to confirm it.
View Quote

I ASSUME Brownells will say the mags meet military specifications for longevity . Which is probably true. But I'll be going elsewhere for mine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#26]
sometimes a deal isnt a deal,I should have just ponied up for Surefeed/Okay and not have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DAMN!  

yep, same here
Looks like AmmunitionDepot was dumping known bad mags, i hope that is not the case
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#28]
just checked their site, I gotta start reading this stuff...

Returns

We do not accept returns under any circumstances other than in the case of defective merchandise and all returns will be subject to manufacturer approval. All sales are final and made without explicit or implied warranty of merchantability or otherwise. Any manufacturer approved defective merchandise will be replaced with the identical undamaged product or products.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
sometimes a deal isnt a deal,I should have just ponied up for Surefeed/Okay and not have to worry about it.
View Quote

All of my aluminum mags are OKay, NHMTG, or Colt. All made by the same company with the same CAGE code.

Why take chances?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
just checked their site, I gotta start reading this stuff...

Returns

We do not accept returns under any circumstances other than in the case of defective merchandise and all returns will be subject to manufacturer approval. All sales are final and made without explicit or implied warranty of merchantability or otherwise. Any manufacturer approved defective merchandise will be replaced with the identical undamaged product or products.
View Quote

If you could, please clariry: which site?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

yep, same here
Looks like AmmunitionDepot was dumping known bad mags, i hope that is not the case
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DAMN!  

yep, same here

Ammunition Depot

there was a "deals" thread recently about 20 rd mags from them, just checked and all of mine were stamped 02-13 and have the crease
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:10:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
All of my aluminum mags are OKay, NHMTG, or Colt. All made by the same company with the same CAGE code.

Why take chances?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why take chances?
absolutely right  

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:27:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Just stumbled across this thread. I ordered a bunch of mags here http://www.targetsportsusa.com/brownells-ar15-m16-223-remington-556-nato-magazine-20-rounds-in-stainless-steel-spring-078-000-160-p-28163.aspx
Just went and checked, all 2_2013, all with the creases!
How many rounds before they actually crack?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
absolutely right  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why take chances?
absolutely right  

+1000
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#35]
yeah, but i thought arfcom told me brownells mags were good to go
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#36]
EVERYBODY RELAX, BROWNELL'S WILL EXCHANGE THEM OR REFUND YOUR MONEY.

Give them a call
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know how widespread this particular issue is.  I will say that I've gotten plenty of use out of my .mil issued Brownells marked 30 round mags.

Likewise I have an '09 marked 20 rounder that I used with blanks while in garrison, and used it again on a handful of informal ranges while in Afghanistan (not to mention my off duty use of this mag with my personal rifles).  It has lost most of its dry film exterior finish, but displays no such creases or signs of structural issues.

Also, the 6x 20 rounders that I bough from Targetsports a few months ago are also '09 marked, and don't have the creases in question.

Based on my own anecdotal accounts, it seems that this might be limited to some bad batches that made their way to market.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had figured between HendersonDefense saying they used Brownells tan follower mags because they lasted the best and the .mil using them for a while that they should be solid. That seems to be in doubt now. I need to look through all mine (too busy to right now), but the ones I've checked appear to have this little crease across different date codes that are years apart.
For what it's worth, I linked this thread in Brownell's industry section in hopes they can address this.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Give them a call
View Quote

Brownells will exchange mags sold by AmmunitionDepot?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Well I just checked mine this evening.  8 twenty rounders from 2/13 all with creases, 20 thirty rounders from 2/13, 3/13 and 4/13 all with creases.  The twenties were, by far, the worse.  Some of the creases were almost completely through.  Most could only be seen by depressing the follower, with no indication on the outside.  I checked all of my other metal mags from Okay, Stoner, and D&H- all were fine with a well formed radius.  I have only used a few of the twenties on a couple of outings.  It will be interesting to see what Brownells has to say.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:21:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Just checked the 20 rounders that I got from Target Sports USA.  All dated 3/09 and all have the crease, looks like on both sides.  

The Brownell's 30 rounders I had before were all oversized, but I couldn't resist the deal on the 20s.  Never again, damn.  Folks rave about how they're the best, but every one I've ever gotten has been messed up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give them a call

Don't see why not, Brownell's is the manufacturer and they have a "100% satisfaction guarantee, period" guarantee.  

BTW, just checked my 20 Brownell's 30rd mags and they all have the crease.  I'll be calling tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#43]
What crease are you guys talking about? I have some new ones and want to check them for this. Mine are from 2010. Also will they exchange mags that are the usgi tan follower mag.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I just looked at a bunch from 2008-2010 and they all have the crease visible on the inside, but it has never caused any issues with the many I've seen in use.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Also will they exchange mags that are the usgi tan follower mag.
View Quote

I sincerely doubt it.

IIRC, Joe Public isn't supposed to be able to purchase them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I sincerely doubt it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also will they exchange mags that are the usgi tan follower mag.

I sincerely doubt it.

I doubted it as well but I see some here are talking about these usgi mags. I'm still wondering what the crease is? is it where those cracks are located? If so, mine has those. I'd have to see on a different mag but all of mine seem to have it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted: What crease are you guys talking about? I have some new ones and want to check them for this. Mine are from 2010.....
View Quote

Here are some examples that I have from 08, 09, and 2013.  20 & 30 rounders.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#48]
While we are doing pics, here is what a batch 20 rd mags 02-13 date looks like. Who knows how long they will last before cracking?

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Brownells will back up their product.  But, I'm surprised that the actual manufacturer of these magazines ( I believe it is Co-Line Welding/Manufacuring of Linnville/Sully, Iowa ) hasn't corrected this problem  a long time ago.  Brownells and Co-Line need to address this or there could be long term damage to their reputations..
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Older 20 round mags do not even have the rear section. They are just folded over sides. Only 30 round mags have the rear section solid. Brownells has a great warranty I would guess there should not be a problem if something comes up. I don't expect any on them would cause me a problem unless the mag was ripped out during a malfunction of a jammed round which I would not be surprised if it damaged ang mag.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top