Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2016 1:45:11 PM EDT
Hello all,

I've got about 10 1st Gen PMAGs (where you can see where the window cutout would be in the non-windowed mags).  They run fine in my RRA gun but were super tight in my Aero lower.  I ended sanding down the little nubs on the spine until they dropped free.

I've found a lot of data about changes from Gen 2 to Gen 3 but I haven't found a lot about Gen 1.  Since they are the only PMAGs I have, I can't compare them to the newer Gen mags.

Were there any durability issues with the Gen 1 that had to be addressed with Gen 2s?  I see most torture testing occurring with Gen 2 or 3 so it makes me wonder if the 1st Gens were as durable.

Is there anything desirable about the 1st Gens?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a few. Splits along the spine were an issue.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I loaded 5 gen 1 pmags when I got them in 2008 with 30 rounds of ppu m855. I still have a 2 or 3 that are loaded with cover on. They haven't spontaneously exploded in the 8 years they have been loaded so I assume they are G2G . I do remember shooting the most recent mag maybe 18-24 months ago, no issues at all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
They're good to go in my opinion.  Only issue I have had is the windows showing cracks over time.  The cracks appear to be more of a cosmetic thing since they don't affect function at all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have several from 2007 (window and non window).  All seem to be fine.  They were used, but not abused.  I have several windowed mags with the date code of 5/07 that have been loaded since I got them.  I have used them to check function, but they have been loaded with 30 rounds and the top on since 2007 and no cracks.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top