BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2016 6:24:55 PM EDT
I bought a 30rd AR Hexmag from Freedom a little while ago.  Never heard of them before but they had a deal where shipping on an order was free if you bought them at $12 a piece, and the shipping on my ammo was ~$28, so I bought one and saved $15 in the process.  Anyway, I haven't used it yet - any opinions or impressions of them to report, good or bad?  They're kinda cool looking....
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a few of them but haven't used them down range so I can't give you an after action report from real world use.
Maybe this is what you're looking for: Hexmag Torture Test
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont have any but I think the gist from most people are that they are good enough mags but don't bring anything to the table to make them particularly desirable over the PMag.  Since the PMag can usually be had at a lower price (especially in bulk quantities) and are proven, there is not a lot incentive for folks to switch to the Hexmag.

In short, Hexmags don't really get much attention because they haven't really done anything to distinguish themselves from the "standard" (either using different materials or lower prices).

All that said, I dont think you are going to run into any issues with it.  I think people would be all over them if they were in the $8-10 range instead of the $12 range.  Just too much competition to come in at a higher price than the Pmag...

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dont have any but I think the gist from most people are that they are good enough mags but don't bring anything to the table to make them particularly desirable over the PMag.  Since the PMag can usually be had at a lower price (especially in bulk quantities) and are proven, there is not a lot incentive for folks to switch to the Hexmag.

View Quote

Or Lancer, or USGI.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Or Lancer, or USGI.
View Quote

True, but I called out the PMag because I'd say it's their most direct competition (since it's full polymer and such) and the PMag is pretty much the standard these days.

With all of the quality options out there, I'd personally only be interested in Hexmags at ~$8 shipped.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess the only thing that hexmag has that the other don't is the ability to change the color of the follower and base plate, HexID Color Identification System.
That might be a convenient way to mark your 300 blackout mags or to sort your mags out from all the other hexmags on the range
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In short, Hexmags don't really get much attention because they haven't really done anything to distinguish themselves from the "standard" (either using different materials or lower prices).

All that said, I dont think you are going to run into any issues with it.  I think people would be all over them if they were in the $8-10 range instead of the $12 range.  Just too much competition to come in at a higher price than the Pmag...

View Quote

Pretty much this.

They work for me, but cost more than most other mags that also work with a long term track record.  Price in coming down, but are just becoming another poly mag.  MagPul and ETS are the cool kids on the block for poly right now.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]

They work for me, but cost more than most other mags that also work with a long term track record.  Price in coming down, but are just becoming another poly mag.  MagPul and ETS are the cool kids on the block for poly right now.
View Quote

Well, single Pmags are $12 too.  $10-12 in bulk.  If hexmags are just as good, then sure, I'd swap brands too at $8 - who wouldn't?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I just found an excuse to buy Hexmags - rumor has it that Magpul isn't making ODG Pmags any more.  Everybody IS out of stock on them, although Magpul's website says different.  Anyway - ODG is my favorite color for plastic mags.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think I just found an excuse to buy Hexmags - rumor has it that Magpul isn't making ODG Pmags any more.  Everybody IS out of stock on them, although Magpul's website says different.  Anyway - ODG is my favorite color for plastic mags.
View Quote

Here are some ODG windowed Pmags if you're interested
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I've ran all the Hexmags I have and had zero ptoblems.  Got them on sale.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks - I found them elsewhere too, but wondering if I need to jump on them at all.

Is the "no more ODG" rumor true?  Any verification on that??  Seems like an odd color for Magpul to stop making - ODG is a popular color for AR furniture, it is not?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I was under the impression magpul was going to black mags and sand color mags, with the intention of the sand color mags being you can color them whatever color you want.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:01:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks - I found them elsewhere too, but wondering if I need to jump on them at all.

Is the "no more ODG" rumor true?  Any verification on that??  Seems like an odd color for Magpul to stop making - ODG is a popular color for AR furniture, it is not?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as I understand Magpul stopped producing colored Pmags when they introduced the M3, those mags are only available in black and a dye able sand color. The colored M2 mags have been discontinued on their production line and when stock is depleted will not be offered again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#14]
If you search past threads here there are some problems with Hexmags and in fact enough I chose not to try them

Not trying to say do or don't just saying others have posted problems so it might be worthwhile to check them out
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you search past threads here there are some problems with Hexmags and in fact enough I chose not to try them

Not trying to say do or don't just saying others have posted problems so it might be worthwhile to check them out
View Quote

I'd love to, but the search function doesn't work on this site.  What were the big problems?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I use them and I like them. I own them in addition to Pmags.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Im not saying they dont have any issues, but every hexmag thread has dozens of people saying they work fine and one or two guys saying that someone else said they had a unspecified problem. I am interested to see what problems exist with all the mags out there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#18]
At the end of the day hexmags are great quality just like lancer and pmags ..But they have no real extra features to make them better or standout .. Almost every review is postive in every category.. My only problem with them is that my state has a round limited and they use standard 30rd mags and just plug them ..The issues comes as my range has 25yrds,50yrds,and 75yrds with the ability to stand up or use a table ,but at 100yrds and 300yrds it's tables only .Also they have a safety shield to keep  people from  shooting too high and the mags will elevate the ar too high past the safety mark..
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
At the end of the day hexmags are great quality just like lancer and pmags ..But they have no real extra features to make them better or standout .. Almost every review is postive in every category.. My only problem with them is that my state has a round limited and they use standard 30rd mags and just plug them ..The issues comes as my range has 25yrds,50yrds,and 75yrds with the ability to stand up or use a table ,but at 100yrds and 300yrds it's tables only .Also they have a safety shield to keep  people from  shooting too high and the mags will elevate the ar too high past the safety mark..
View Quote

Got 'cha.  I'm the other way - I like the reduced capacity full-sized mags purely for cosmetic appeal, not that I need them in my free state.  Same reason I like the ODG mags - they look great sticking out of the bottom of a rifle.  I shoot 20-rd GI mags when I'm on the bench since the 30's are too long.  And you are right - low-cap mags are harder to come by then 30rd.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm one of those guys that have had a problem with Hexmags. In my Stag 2TL they will not feed Nosler/SSA 64 gn bonded soft points. They just slam into the ramp, pushing bullet past cannelure and if you try it again, will push bullet into the case. I've been in contact with Hexmag on this problem. I've sent pictures and they sent me another mag to see if the problem was just the particular mags I have. The new one had the same results. These mags feed FMJ just fine so be sure you test them out with what ever ammo you intend to use.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I've only got one hexmag, compared to the pmag the side walls fex more, they aren't cheaper, in fact, I've only seen them higher, not even the same price.  Mine came with my Core 15 rifle and in one 30 round load it seemed to have gotten stuck and didn't push the next round up enough for the bolt to catch.  this only happened once, but I'd never experienced that with a pmag or metal mag before.  Guess I won't be looking for deals on them
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:50:09 AM EDT
[#22]
I have one I was given as a gift. It seems like a decent mag but I don't care for how slick it is. And as others have stated for the price I'll just stick to pmags or aluminum.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#23]
yea i've read on several occasions that people have problems feeding soft/hollow point rounds, basically anything flat. I bought 4 of them, i'm going to give them a shot next week.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I also had issues with several hex mags that were given to me to,test in November.  Shooting M193 out of Colts and LMT - failure to feed issues- rounds were not being stripped form too of mag- bolt was riding over.  No issues with same guns/ ammo with PMags or GI mags
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I have to post an update to my review of the Hexmag. My first review was done in my Stag 2tl and the soft points will nt feed from this magazine.....they feed from all other mags but not the Hexmag. On a recent trip to see my step-son in FL I took my duty Windham Weaponery AR. While at the range I thought to try my Nosler 64 gn bonded soft points and, to my surprise, they fed flawlessly! Soooooo......these mags will feed soft points, depending on the rifle. Hexmag customer service was very good a trying to find the problem...even sending me a different mag to test so...kudos to Hexmag....but make sure your rifle will feed whatever ammo you use for HD.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Ran 8 mags through a buddies M16 lower, 4 with a shrike upper and 4 with a PWS piston upper. Wolf Gold, Tula, and some Federal 5.56, all ran perfectly. Fun as hell!!!! I need a M16 lower.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 1:21:11 AM EDT
[#27]
From my post....

I encountered a strange problem in class this past weekend, and I was wondering if anyone has encountered it / has a remedy...

I bought 3 brand new Hex Mags from AIM....
All 3 suffered problems and would NOT feed the first round from the mag from an open bolt.
The guns were a Colt M16 & a Bushmaster M4gery A3.
All my other mags did and do work......RORG, CProds, USGI, PMags, Troy, Lancer. They all fed everytime from an open bolt - whether using the charging handle or bolt release. The Hex Mags did not want to cooperate....

At first I thought, "well duh, try downloading them to 28 rounds..." - no joy either, still no feed.
If a round was already chambered, the Hex Mags would work fine, again, whether loaded with 28 or 30 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Why does anyone put up with this garbage when there are so many proven magazines that can easily be had for under $10?  Ex:  USGI (Okay industries), PMAGs ... Lancer AWMs for a few dollars more.

Your $1,000 rifle isn't worth anything if it won't reliably feed.  But if you want to roll the dice with Hera mags, Hex mags, Swamp Fox ... go ahead
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why does anyone put up with this garbage when there are so many proven magazines that can easily be had for under $10?  Ex:  USGI (Okay industries), PMAGs ... Lancer AWMs for a few dollars more.

Your $1,000 rifle isn't worth anything if it won't reliably feed.  But if you want to roll the dice with Hera mags, Hex mags, Swamp Fox ... go ahead
View Quote

Because they work 100% for some people, and they like variety. I have had pmags fail and jam, nothing is perfect.

Are you really saying that because there is 1 or 2 popular mags already out there then no one should ever try anything else?
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 4:56:12 AM EDT
[#30]
FWIW,  the hexmag that came with my Core15 rifle did not want to seat properly, upon emailing them they responded within 2 hours.  They asked for a picture of production run markings, my address,  and shipped me a new mag body free of charge. (Told me to keep or toss the old mag body, no need to send it back) They have a great warranty and customer service.  That said, my rifle still prefers pmags by a large margin.  I do think they look sharp though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Just bought 2 to try out. PSA has them priced at $9.95 each, 3 bucks cheaper than gen2 pmags.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 1:19:48 AM EDT
[#32]
my experience has been bad after the first round the mag falls out

my shooting buddy had the same issue

stick with magpul or a brand that you know works properly.

good luck
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#33]
hexmag review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Jw-mnGjeI
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a couple that work fine but I don't care for them because you can't load them from strippers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#35]
I had the same failure to feed issue with two I tested.  I chambered the first round, and it fired, but then the chamber was empty.  Charged the rifle again and it was good to go the rest of the mag.  It's like it wouldn't pick up that second round if it was loaded with a full 30 rounds.

I also had trouble getting it to seat reliably on a closed bolt.  I am going to take another 120 rounds out and shoot some more this weekend and see if it was something I was doing wrong - but I don't think so.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:03:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I've read that many people have had issues with the mags cracking in cold weather. Just a thought depending on your area.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#37]
My friend took a class with Sage dynamics and said people using Hexmags there were having issues but I didn't get specifics.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:59:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought one grey Hexmag to see how it matched my stealth grey furniture. Amazing match. More will be in my future since Magpul won't make a grey magazine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#41]
My HexMag has worked fine, but I don't like how it doesn't have the slots for stripper clips.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I bought a couple from PSA and had the same problem others are listing with 1 magazine.
One didn't want to set correctly at all through 3 different receivers, didn't want to drop, and also had issues with the first round.

Tried running various magazines just to be safe it wasn't the firearm, no issue. Tried with a different receiver, same issue.

Contacted Hexmag Customer Service, hopefully they'll help me out. Otherwise, i'll stick with P-mags. I haven't used a lancer yet, I may snag one of those.

Edit: they contacted me back this morning and just required pictures of the faulty magazine. They are mailing me two more magazines in the "SERIES 2" off today and got me squared away pretty quickly.
Hopefully, I don't have any more issues. Pretty awesome for me not have to send a magazine back or pay shipping for the new ones. I would love to support them.

My magazine that was faulty had 16 on the side, just a side note of anyone interested.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I purchased some Hex mags from a local gun shop while I was on the road. I like to stop in and browse at local gun stores when traveling. I always try to buy a little something, to not be just another "browser". The ODG Hex caught my eye and they had them for $15.00 retail in the store. Yeah, I know that's a little more than mail order, but I like to support local shops. Only bought 3 but everyone has worked flawless. NOW, I have NOT run them in an AR-15. I have been using them in PAP M85NP, with the polymer AR mag well. They are a nice fit in that mag well, which has weird interior dimensions, but seem to love these Hex Mags. So I am happy with that. They are dedicated to that pistol at the moment, but will get around to trying them in an AR one day.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've only got one hexmag, compared to the pmag the side walls fex more, they aren't cheaper, in fact, I've only seen them higher, not even the same price.  Mine came with my Core 15 rifle and in one 30 round load it seemed to have gotten stuck and didn't push the next round up enough for the bolt to catch.  this only happened once, but I'd never experienced that with a pmag or metal mag before.  Guess I won't be looking for deals on them
View Quote

Hmmm,  Just had this mag out and out of thirty rounds of Federal American Eagle 5.56, I had two that didn't feed.  When I pulled the BCG back I noticed the next round pop up.  Was using it in another rifle, not the Core 15 which I had experienced it with the first time.

EDIT: contacted Hexmag about this particular magazine, they requested photos of the side of the magazine (possible date stamp?) and the follower.  After they received my photos, they are sending me a new magazine.  Said their new magazines have Orange plate release button and orange follower, and I could swap out my red button and follower if I wanted to (color isn't important to me though)
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#45]
They have a gen 2 version due out next week . Compatible with strippers and they made a few improvemen's to increase reliability .

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They have a gen 2 version due out next week . Compatible with strippers and they made a few improvemen's to increase reliability .

View Quote

They said they were sending me a 'Series 2' to replace mine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have a couple that work fine but I don't care for them because you can't load them from strippers.
View Quote

This is one of many remedied issues in the Series 2 mags which are just starting to ship.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I received my replacement Series 2 Hexmag today.  Put 120 rounds through it without a single issue, seemed as dependable as a Pmag.  My original Hexmag would have had at least 4 Failure to feed in that many rounds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:19:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Hexmag on sale.  $8.99  for the 10/30.  I live in Kalifornia so this is huge.  I bought 15 last time without a problem or any hickups.  They are GTG.  I'm very happy.

I really should buy more.

Plus Free Shipping On Orders of 12 or more Hexmags!

Take a look at the reviews on YouTube if you still have concerns. There is a simple conversion available too. Detailed there.

Damn?  Could I buy more?  No, I'm loaded for bear right now but I could always use more.  Bring on the Zombies.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#50]
I bought 5 of the OD green hexmags about a month ago. The first time at the range I took three of them along loaded with wolf polyformance steel cased. I had several jams and all were the same. They failed to feed the next round and instead rammed it into the receiver just below where the feed ramps start. I had several gen 2 pmags and an ASC GI type mag all run the same ammo in the same rifle flawless that day. I just went out again last week and had the same exact problem with all of the hexmags in the same rifle with the same ammo.

Mine say "series 1" on the side so I think they're the gen 1 mags. They do have the bright orange follower and base plate piece though. I'm going to contact them and see if they swap them out for me. Over all they do have a much cheaper "plastiky" feel than pmags and my mission first tactical mags. They just feel like they're a more brittle polymer. I got them when they were on sale for $7.99 though so no huge loss even if they don't replace them. I honestly doubt even if they did replace them and the new ones ran fine that I'd ever buy them again because they left a bad taste and I just don't like how they feel. I'll stick to D&H or Okay GI mags, pmags or MFT mags.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top