Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2016 1:27:32 AM EDT
Back around 2008 or so I bought a couple gen 1 windowed pmags and I was kind of disappointed with how despite little use, the windows developed a bunch of little cracks. The windows never fully broke out mind you, but it kind of turned me off the windowed mags. I'm kind of interested in the M3 windowed ones for a specific application and was curious if Magpul solved that problem on the more recent generations.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The Gen 2 and 3 windowed Pmags are GTG.

Also look into Lancer translucent mags - polymer body, metal feed lips, translucent so you can see your round count.

ETS is also putting out a decent looking windowed/clear-body mag though I haven't tested them personally.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:44:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Lancer's for the win!

Window was worthless on the pmags IMO.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
My Gen 2 PMAGS are GTG as well, no hazing or cracking on my windows.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
My windowed ones have been great...  I have an assortment of black and OD window and non-windows M2 and M3 and no problems except I have an old OD green version that has the thicker ribs than all my other mags it will not drop free from some of my AR's.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Here is how the windows work for those interested.

One of the magazine coils is marked with high viz paint which corresponds with the window opening so it is a visual gauge for remaining rounds in the magazine. It even reads correctly with under 12 rounds remaining (the rounds normally obscured by the M4 magazine well with translucent magazines)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lancer's for the win!

Window was worthless on the pmags IMO.

Here is how the windows work for those interested.

One of the magazine coils is marked with high viz paint which corresponds with the window opening so it is a visual gauge for remaining rounds in the magazine. It even reads correctly with under 12 rounds remaining (the rounds normally obscured by the M4 magazine well with translucent magazines)

Hmm, stand corrected, I swear I have not seen that before. I still standby Lancer for the quality though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Very early Gen 1 windows could craze after coming in content with DEET or similar chemicals.

Since then we have improved the formula two times to make the windows very chemical resistant. You should not have an issue now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back around 2008 or so I bought a couple gen 1 windowed pmags and I was kind of disappointed with how despite little use, the windows developed a bunch of little cracks. The windows never fully broke out mind you, but it kind of turned me off the windowed mags. I'm kind of interested in the M3 windowed ones for a specific application and was curious if Magpul solved that problem on the more recent generations.

Very early Gen 1 windows could craze after coming in content with DEET or similar chemicals.

Since then we have improved the formula two times to make the windows very chemical resistant. You should not have an issue now.

Some of my Gen 1's have cracked just by sitting in a box over time.  No DEET whatsoever came into contact with them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Good to hear things have improved. I have some clear and smoke Lancers and like them quite a bit. The interest in windowed pmags was because I wanted to have a few coupled mag setups for a pickup rifle and thought the pmag would be a better option due to being able to place a dust cover on the mag not in the gun.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:34:59 AM EDT
[#10]
No issues with the gen 2's I bought years ago. I thought they would get all yellowed or fade opaque like plexiglas, but nope.
The window "gas gauge" is a neat simple idea, but honestly I've only used it a couple times just for the novelty.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My Gen 2 PMAGS are GTG as well, no hazing or cracking on my windows.

View Quote

Ditto for me......Lancer L5AWM mags are also excellent.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top