Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2016 6:15:11 PM EDT
Last night I shot with an Okay 10/20 (20rd mag, blocked to 10rds with a rivet) for the first time. Loaded with 10 rounds or with 5, about 31/3 of the time it will not feed the second round. It will load the first round no problem, then the bolt will ride over the second round and not strip it from the magazine. When I try to load a round by using using the charging handle, I can see the bolt ride over the round. It looks the nose of the second round nose dives and the back of the round gets held up and is not being held high enough to strip. The other 2/3 of the time it works perfectly. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Follower tilting is one of the reasons for the different generations of anti-tilt followers that followed on after the original aluminum follower 20rd magazines.

A follower change or shimming your spring at the front might help.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Follower tilting is one of the reasons for the different generations of anti-tilt followers that followed on after the original aluminum follower 20rd magazines.

A follower change or shimming your spring at the front might help.
View Quote

Thanks for the help. I might just switch the follower out if I'm going to spend the time to remove the rivet. Do you have one that you recommend? It looks like the Magpuls are only for 30rd mags
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Straight 20's can not use anti tilt followers.  They must tilt by design.

The follower is not your problem.  Straight 20's are also probably the most reliable design.  Especially from okay.

My guess is that it is rivet related.  Spring catching on it, not enough spring above the river etc.  I don't know of okay rivets those themselves or that is all done aftermarket.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Straight 20's can not use anti tilt followers.  They must tilt by design.

The follower is not your problem.  Straight 20's are also probably the most reliable design.  Especially from okay.

My guess is that it is rivet related.  Spring catching on it, not enough spring above the river etc.  I don't know of okay rivets those themselves or that is all done aftermarket.
View Quote

I second this
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Last night I shot with an Okay 10/20 (20rd mag, blocked to 10rds with a rivet) for the first time. Loaded with 10 rounds or with 5, about 31/3 of the time it will not feed the second round. It will load the first round no problem, then the bolt will ride over the second round and not strip it from the magazine. When I try to load a round by using using the charging handle, I can see the bolt ride over the round. It looks the nose of the second round nose dives and the back of the round gets held up and is not being held high enough to strip. The other 2/3 of the time it works perfectly. Any ideas?
View Quote

I had this exact problem with new okay 10 round mags.  Not pinned to ten but 10 round mags.  When the bolt goes back over the rounds it pushes them down in the mag....and as you noted the rounds don't push back up and the bolt closes on an empty chamber.  I returned my mags.
If its any explanation the spring in there didn't look like a standard type spring.....

What I did, since I need 10 round mags is bought ASC 10 round and replaced their shitty follower with a magpul one.  I also think lancer and magpul 10 round mags are worth considering.  

I had 8 okay mags that did what yours are doing.  Just send it back.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to try and see if I can get a coil of the spring over the rivet and see if that improves anything. I don't think I can pop the rivet out, because I don't have a rivet gun to install the rivet again prior to reassembly to make sure it is legal.

I only have one of these mags, so it might not be worth it to send it back. Hoping I can get this thing to work correctly
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#7]
How old is your Okay 10/20rd mag?  The reason I ask is that Okay doesn't manufacture a blocked 20rd mag (I would know because I work at OKAY).  It could be that your mag was modified after it left the factory by an aftermarket company/dealer & that is why you're having issues.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How old is your Okay 10/20rd mag?  The reason I ask is that Okay doesn't manufacture a blocked 20rd mag (I would know because I work at OKAY).  It could be that your mag was modified after it left the factory by an aftermarket company/dealer & that is why you're having issues.
View Quote

It was definitely modified after it left the factory. It's because in CA, we're not allowed to have magazines with more than 10 rounds you had it in your possession before January 1st, 2000.  

I was just trying to figure out if I need to pop to rivet out or what not. Trying to avoid that though because I'll need to buy a rivet gun to reinstall it. I have 10 of the Okay 30rd mags with a rivet in them to block them to 10, and they work fine, so wasn't sure if it's the rivet causing this. although, it seems like that's the case
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Try reversing the spring (front to back). Most springs don't put equal tension on the front & back of the follower, not an issue with anti-tilts but I've put a spring in reversed in one of my straight GI 20s and it did cause problems.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Try reversing the spring (front to back). Most springs don't put equal tension on the front & back of the follower, not an issue with anti-tilts but I've put a spring in reversed in one of my straight GI 20s and it did cause problems.

View Quote

I may need to try this - I wonder if that is it. Now that I think of it, it was the back of the rounds that wasn't being held up. But the rivet is in the front of the magazine. so if it is the rivet interfering with the spring, wouldn't it cause the front of the round not to be held up?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top