AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The tan follower doesn't tilt because of the way the spring "locks" onto the follower.  That is why they re-designed the spring as well as the follower.  There is not another follower/spring combo like this available anywhere. To make some type of claim that it wasn't designed by them is total fabrication.
View Quote

This came out of my armory this morning, the springs locks to the follower like the every 30 round M16 FOW magazine in the system.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think you missed anything but if you compare the green follower and the mag pul I think you will agree that the magpul one is better for many reasons.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The tan follower doesn't tilt because of the way the spring "locks" onto the follower.  That is why they re-designed the spring as well as the follower.  There is not another follower/spring combo like this available anywhere. To make some type of claim that it wasn't designed by them is total fabrication.

This came out of my armory this morning, the springs locks to the follower like the every 30 round M16 FOW magazine in the system.

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz337/R0N_photos/followers3_zpsnou7xtjg.jpg

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz337/R0N_photos/followers2_zpstqgfhpmu.jpg

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz337/R0N_photos/followers_zpsz5ukzfp2.jpg

The way the spring attaches to the follower is much more solid than the way the green and black follower attaches to the spring.  The green and black followers can "pivot" on the spring.  The tan follower and spring can't, therefore can't tilt.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The way the spring attaches to the follower is much more solid than the way the green and black follower attaches to the spring.  The green and black followers can "pivot" on the spring.  The tan follower and spring can't, therefore can't tilt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you pull the base plate off and slide the follow to the bottom of the mag, you will see the front and rear legs prevent it from tilting, since spring steel by it very nature bends claims that spring have more to do with it than the legs probably are not true

I cut the back leg off and reassembled the mag, it now tilts

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never had any issues from the green followers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've never had any issues from the green followers.
View Quote

I exceed the speed limit and never had a ticket....

But, yeah, I ran the green followers for years and had not experienced an issue. That said, I have replaced them all with magpul followers. My thought, the magazine is a critical component to the Ar's reliability, so swapping out to the low cost Magpul follower is a good insurance policy to minimize the potential for feed issues that are related to the magazine.

And like a guy way smarter then me, Pat Roger's, often said... "Don't fall in love with your magazines"
They are an expendable item...
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Interesting Snippet I cut and pasted from Defense review. Author is Jeff Gurwitch. who is a Green beret with the U.S.Army. He wrote a 3 part article regarding Competition guns and Combat and the comment regarding the newer Army M4 magazine and follower caught my eye.

Apparently there not flawless.

In 2012, the new improved GI magazine with brown follower was just making its way into mainstream service. I would have to say that compared to the older green-follower magazine, I prefer the green-follower version. I’ve seen many “improved” brown follower version mags (some are marked Brownells on the side) fail via double feeds and jams over the last two years, more than any other magazine (GI issue or commercial). Plus I’m still slightly annoyed by the fact that on a fully-loaded brown-follower mag, the top round sits on the left, which is counter to every other AR magazine on the planet.

My go-to loadout; The Magpul Emags on the left I received back in 2007 when they 1st came out, the Lancer Advanced Warfighters in 2010, all still going strong. On the bottom IMI polymer magazine, despite that it’s not reinforced like the Lancer I have had no issues with it going on 9 months now.

As far as commercial magazines, I’m still using the same batch of Lancer L5 Advanced Warfighter Magazines (AWM’s) and Magpul EMAG’s. Head-to-head, I’d have to give the Lancer AWM mags a slightly higher rating. I’ve seen more issues with PMAG’s (usually Gen II’s) in terms of double feeds or having problems. I would like to point out, though, that Magpul PMAG’s are still the most prevalent magazines I see. So, their being used more could be a factor in why I see more of them go down.
One new magazine I would like to mention is the Israel Military Industries Defense (IMI Defense) polymer mag. I was given one by DefenseReview (DR) to test last fall. So far, I’ve had no issues with it, at all. In fact, it’s the primary magazine I keep in my rifle.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you pull the base plate off and slide the follow to the bottom of the mag, you will see the front and rear legs prevent it from tilting, since spring steel by it very nature bends claims that spring have more to do with it than the legs probably are not true

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz337/R0N_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/cut%20follower2_zpsf2pfgzw8.jpg

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz337/R0N_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/cut%20follower_zpsey5mmwzp.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz337/R0N_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/cut%20follower2_zpsf2pfgzw8.jpg

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz337/R0N_photos/Mobile%20Uploads/cut%20follower_zpsey5mmwzp.jpg

Sorry you had to destroy a follower to make a point, but you can do whatever you want with your stuff.  I don't know how much the way the new spring attaches to the follower prevents tilting, but it seems like it would be a benefit in keeping it from tilting and is a totally new design/idea.  This is contradictory to your claim that the military simply copied someone else's design (was it HK that first had the extended legs?) Well now you at least have a spare spring.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#11]
All my USGI's have green followers.  They have always worked so I guess if it ain't broke...........

When they do start failing, then they will get replaced.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I updated all my milsurp to green when magpul didn't exist.  I ain't doing it again.  They work just fine.
View Quote

This. I remember going through a hundred or so mags and replacing all the black followers with green ones. Im not spending $300 to upgrade all my followers again
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:51:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I  have a few older Colt magazines with green followers and I've never had an issue.  I did notice that loading is much easier with the pmag followers,  that's enough for me to upgrade the mags I intend on shooting.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might have me there.  I should have said "less likely to tilt".  However, just because a follower can be made to tilt in a stationary photograph doesn't mean it will tilt when actually fired.....
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#15]
if you are taking the time to replace your followers, re-spray them with Molybdenum dry lube too.

my findings are that the tilt from a follower has as much to do with friction as it does the shape of the follower... sure the shape follower makes it more error proof due to the hanging tabs but bare aluminum is actually porous and pretty grippy. when all of the molybdenum is scraped free from inside the magazine the poly follower once worn wants to grab and drag more. For reference and example, My family and I have a handful of thermold mags that we've used since George H Bush was in office and they have no anti tilt mechanism built into the follower, you can tilt them very easily by hand BUT they always spring back because the poly-on-poly (i think they use zytel) is slicker than cum on a gold tooth and we've yet to see one tilt and jam.

i bought 14 used GI mags from a surplus store for 3 bucks each last month. i started reading threads like this... and determined i needed to replace the 12 that werent tan with magpul followers, 3 or 4 of them were black followers so i reckon they needed it. BUT i also re-sprayed them with Molybdenum dry lube as well... i think it is important to do so if you are taking the time to replace the followers
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I've fired 1000s of rds from black and green follower mags with no issues. This includes a lot of back to back mag dumps with an M16A1. All I did was disassemble and clean my mags once in awhile.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I spent all of last week crawling around in the dirt with a rifle. I fired just over 1800 rounds in 6 days. Most of these were near mag dumps of 2-3 mags at a time (break contact drills and ambush fire).....90% of the magazines I used had Green followers in USGI aluminum, "surplus" magazines...... Not ONE ISSUE. None. Nada. Jack Shit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I spent all of last week crawling around in the dirt with a rifle. I fired just over 1800 rounds in 6 days. Most of these were near mag dumps of 2-3 mags at a time (break contact drills and ambush fire).....90% of the magazines I used had Green followers in USGI aluminum, "surplus" magazines...... Not ONE ISSUE. None. Nada. Jack Shit.
View Quote

Keep in mind, even though they work....

DAMN NEAR ANYTHING CAN BE IMPROVED!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My range mags are centers with the old black followers. Never have a problem with them.
View Quote

Oddly enough I can't really recall and black follower issues either.   I did get weak kneed at one time and bought a bunch of tan magpulls to put in.  

Guess what?  Still no jamming.

Really the only issue I ever had is a got a used 30 rounder that simply did not fit any of my Colt mag wells at the time.  I could see it was a touch wide and welded that way expanding a bit as it went up.   Stole the bottom plate for another mag and I either threw it out or gave it away.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That article is written by an anonymous internet expert... The Army actually did research using high speed cameras to see the issues black followers had toward the last few rds in a magazine and how the rds would nose dive in Full auto. The green followers addressed that, but not all the way. Mag pul engineered a better non tilt follower, but in typical DoD fashion, would ot pay for it, so they "designed" there own, which is the Tan.

The Army Had a cute little Limerick to help troops know the difference when issued Magazines.

The cut little "Tan is the plan-Green-start to lean-Black-Take it back.

The problem is the Military never throws out anything.. including bad, malfunctioning mags.

I switch all my mags to the Magpul follower, even though I have never had issues with the green followers. As it is just a better design, and the magazine is a critical component to the AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That article is written by an anonymous internet expert... The Army actually did research using high speed cameras to see the issues black followers had toward the last few rds in a magazine and how the rds would nose dive in Full auto. The green followers addressed that, but not all the way. Mag pul engineered a better non tilt follower, but in typical DoD fashion, would ot pay for it, so they "designed" there own, which is the Tan.

The Army Had a cute little Limerick to help troops know the difference when issued Magazines.

The cut little "Tan is the plan-Green-start to lean-Black-Take it back.

The problem is the Military never throws out anything.. including bad, malfunctioning mags.

I switch all my mags to the Magpul follower, even though I have never had issues with the green followers. As it is just a better design, and the magazine is a critical component to the AR.

No shit on this.   The guard was horrid with magazines when I was in.  Armor unit we had boxes of abused mags that all went to the range.  On the line someone had a repeated problem and identifies a bad mag?  What do we do? Crush it?  Nope we hand it back to the ammo guy and it goes right back into the box to be used next time.  That shit drove me nuts coming from the Marines where we were each issued 3 mags for normal drill and field use.  If one was shitty it was replaced.  You knew it because it was YOUR mag.   Same thing when I was in a guard Mp unit.  A foot locker of fucked up 1911 magazines.    Qual with the shitty mags, hand them in to the range guy and hold apart the bad mags, in they go with all the rest into the footlocker.   After that I bought my own shooting stars and carried them when I was in Panama with live ammo working as an MP.  There I got a whole nother 1911 issue but that's another story.  (some ass thought it was smart to only send down the bare minimum of pistols as we rotated through in 3 groups so when we got there most of us had a strange pistol we didn't qual with.  The POS I was issued had a bad grip safety, non functional as a grip safety, but the hammer dropped with the trigger.     Yep, I carried that POS as a working MP to a call with a man with a knife kicking in a door in a housing unit with non function hall and stairway lights.  Murphy was alive and well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I have USGI mags with green followers, Magpul followers and the newer USGI tan followers. The only time I can tell any difference is when I am loading the mags.  The greens can tilt.  I do slow fire shooting, quick pairs, and bump fore mag dumps.  I have had function issues at one time or another with all of them.

TL:DR

They all work.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I still have mags with the black followers. They're old, but not necessarily abused.  They were probably old when I bought them, now they're really old because I've had them setting around for so damn long.

I was a wanna-be mag whore back in the 90's to early 2000's. Thanks AWB, so sorry to have watched you go.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top