Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

3 ARs, 8 mags. 4 mags for every other gun that requires proprietary magazines.

Y'all are strange.
View Quote
Did you have a firearm collection during the AWB?

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Y'all are strange.

That was my first thought as well. From page two:
...When the ban took effect in 1994, I had only two ar's and iirc 10-12 magazines total; probably 8-10 30's and a few 20's; all GI style.

Have to remember that 1994 (and 1995, 1996, 1997, etc, thru 2004) we didn’t know whether the ban would really be allowed to sunset or not; so for literally a decade, as far as we knew, what we had was all we would ever have. You could still find some around for sale that were mfr’ed before the ban date, but they got crazy expensive. It was common for standard glock mags to sell for $70-$80, even used. (Full disclosure, I could still get “LEO” magazines, but if I’d left the dept in that timeframe, I’d have had to turn them in, sell them to another LEO, or destroy them.)

The ban did sunset. Will the next one? Idk.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The Dem's learned their lesson.  They paid a high political price for a ban that had a sunset provision.  The next ban (and there will be one), - will NOT have any sunset provision.  They want the guns gone, period.  And the fellow thinking that 8 mags is enough, I don't know about you but I want to have on hand the amount of mags I would consider to be what is needed for a lifetime of use not just for me but for my sons and their families as well....that's a hell of a lot of mags...

Earl

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Y'all are strange.

...When the ban took effect in 1994, I had only two ar's and iirc 10-12 magazines total; probably 8-10 30's and a few 20's; all GI style.

Have to remember that 1994 (and 1995, 1996, 1997, etc, thru 2004) we didn’t know whether the ban would really be allowed to sunset or not; so for literally a decade, as far as we knew, what we had was all we would ever have. You could still find some around for sale that were mfr’ed before the ban date, but they got crazy expensive. It was common for standard glock mags to sell for $70-$80, even used. (Full disclosure, I could still get “LEO” magazines, but if I’d left the dept in that timeframe, I’d have had to turn them in, sell them to another LEO, or destroy them.)

The ban did sunset. Will the next one? Idk.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Dem's learned their lesson.  They paid a high political price for a ban that had a sunset provision.  The next ban (and there will be one), - will NOT have any sunset provision.  They want the guns gone, period.  And the fellow thinking that 8 mags is enough, I don't know about you but I want to have on hand the amount of mags I would consider to be what is needed for a lifetime of use not just for me but for my sons and their families as well....that's a hell of a lot of mags...

Earl
View Quote

I'd tend to think any future ban won't have a sunset.  NRA paid a huge price in membership and bad press for capitulating to that.  Current members won't tolerate those sorts of shenanigans again.

It's good you are thinking about your children and their children, and this isn't directed at you but we are talking about the birthright of our Children here.

In 1994 when the ban passed I was 16.  I had no say in it or in electing the scumbags for voted for it.  The adults at the time handed over my Right with hardly a whimper.

Exactly what sort of people are we if we do the same thing to our children?  It isn't just about my children or yours, it's about ALL the children.  For those claiming "I'll buy enough mags for my great grand kids" (and I have already) what about the unborn children of those can't / won't?  

Simply put, the American people cannot allow another ban.  Eventually our children will be deprived of arms entirely if we capitulate any further.

It's also an absurd assumption to think that technology won't continue to progress and modern firearms will be near useless against bullet proof clothing in the future.  Eventually our posterity will need to armed with .... blasters? Lasers? Light sabers?  Who knows but that is PRECISELY why the Founders wrote such an all encompassing Second Amendment.

We must not allow any further bans or restrictions, our posterity are counting on us.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
How many is enough ? TOO MANY IS ENOUGH !
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How many is enough ? TOO MANY IS NOT ENOUGH !
View Quote

Fixed it for ya.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think 70 is PLENTY for two rifles. If there is another ban it will likely NOT be just like the 94-04 ban. banning possession will be "their" main goal, if not though, you will likely have to declare/register($$ for each one) what you have and transfers will banned.

I think buying hundreds and hundreds of mags with the mindset that if there is another ban you will be able to cash in and make money is a bad idea. IF there is a President and Congress that allows or pushes a mag ban through, believe me, they will make it as restrictive as possible if not an outright ban on possession. I'm sure they'll let you turn them in for a tax credit or some BS though so no one can bitch about how much money they lost....

Buy what you think you may need for a lifetime so if they do allow you to keep what you have you will be set but don't go overboard thinking you will be the Scarface of PMags.....
View Quote

They would have a pretty tough time banning possession, not saying it couldn't happen but on the federal level pretty unlikely.

Its much more likely they'd be grandfathered to current owners with a possible ban on any transfers or sale which would still make hoarding them for future sale unworkable.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#8]
If you own an AR you should be ordering a ten pack whenever funds allow. Have enough for you and the generations after you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, during AWB days I thought I had gotten a good deal on a slightly used Glock high cap (standard capacity) mag for $55. $10 USGI mags were then $40 USGI mags. Wanted a 15rd. Beretta, S&W, Glock 9mm mag? $60-$75 new. Remember the last panic? Pmags went from $14 to $30 -$35 overnight.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Never enough.

That said, the same goes for ammo.

What good are mags if you don't have ammo for them?

I just ordered another case of Federal XM193 and IMI 124gr 9mm.

Then there's the powder, primers, bullets, brass...
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Living in a ban state, we still have to use pre-ban (prior to 1994) magazines.  Last night I saw a gentleman at the gun shop buy two 30 round magazines for $40 each.  These magazines did not look to be in great shape.  If you can buy mags, do it!  I wish I could have back in 1994 but I was too young.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I  buy them for when the panic happens again and all of the people who did not listen or did not care to buy them when they were cheap and plentiful will pay crazy prices. I think of it as a partial retirement plan.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#13]
alot of places are selling out right now...

kinda ninja panic going on right now...several main sites on here are sold out of a ton of stuff
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes, during AWB days I thought I had gotten a good deal on a slightly used Glock high cap (standard capacity) mag for $55. $10 USGI mags were then $40 USGI mags. Wanted a 15rd. Beretta, S&W, Glock 9mm mag? $60-$75 new. Remember the last panic? Pmags went from $14 to $30 -$35 overnight.
View Quote

Also, I started USPSA competition in 1996.  I had a Kimber Classic Custom with some 10 round mags.  I was competing against guys who had the Para 40's or the very new STI/SVI 40's with much higher capacity (19 rounds or so).  Lots of folks were taking advantage of the fact you could buy "replacement" components for mags to assemble a few high-caps out of the body, spring, follower, and baseplate of the one high-cap mag the gun shipped with.

I had a security clearance.  I wasn't willing to play the game and so I continued to compete at a significant disadvantage.  I want at least 10 standard cap mags per gun plus extras wherever I can get it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#15]
50 mags per rifle & 20 mags per handgun minimum.  10-2k minimum rounds in reserve for primary rifle, 3-5k rounds in reserve for sidearm.  Critical spare parts for all said weapons.  These are minimums, more is always better.  Mags are disposable, you need more than you think.  You'd be crazy to bring less than 15 mags with you to a high volume training class alone (12 to use, 3 back ups).  In high volume training mags can get lost and eventually these mags can wear out.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:04:52 AM EDT
[#16]
You need as many mags as your wife needs pairs of shoes.  As many as you can afford, and always add to the collection. Just because a mag is older doesn't mean it was garbage and those older colored followers can add up in the bundle deals.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:12:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Obsessive compulsive disorder is a real thing.

Just sayin'
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I think you're alright. I only have about 35 AR and 35 AK mags. Have 10 Lancers on backorder for the ARs. Would I like more? Sure. Do I need more? Probably not, but I didn't really get into firearms until post-AWB so I've never had to sit through one either.  Eventually you have to store the shit somewhere and boxes and boxes of NIW mags raise red flags with the wife.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 4:13:34 AM EDT
[#19]
- The magazines you have may be the last magazines you're allowed to buy, legally, for quite some time.

- A lot of people buy extras as an investment.

- Magazines are one of the most difficult firearm parts to make and get working right.  They're also the most common source of malfunctions even if factory-made ones.

70 mags for 2 rifles sounds fine, though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#20]
It seems like you need a lot more mags for your first AR than you would for you 30th.  You are only going to actually be shooing one rifle at a time, regardless of how many ARs you have.  Everything else being equal, a guy who one AR is going to lose the same number of mags to wear and tear as a guy who has 30 ARs.

For every AR after the first, I think 1½-2 combat loads is probably enough.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Think of them as currency, as seen during the "Great Gun-Grab Scare of 2012" magazines especially Pmags became the most trade-able item in the EE. I still remember CTD selling them for $99.00 a piece and people were actually buying them.
View Quote

Were they really?    I knew they were expensive then but I didn't see that!  Yeow!

Back in 12-08 I did see CProd thirties change hands for $40 in TX gun stores.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 1:42:04 AM EDT
[#22]
If you have to ask, you don't have enough!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This .... and there is nothing worse than living in a Federal assault weapons Ban environment and kicking yourself for not buying more when you could have for $10 per Magpul... then the gloom sets in....because you realize if you want more.... it is gonna really cost you.

So the question really comes down to..... can you live with that thought, and do you really have enough to live with. ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the strategy behind having hundreds of mags per riffle? ??

When the federal assault weapons ban was in effect, which included a ban on "high capacity feeding devices", well used GI aluminum mags were going for 3 or 4 times what brand new mags cost today, and that's not adjusting for inflation.

It's a good idea to have more than you think you'll need, plus a decent cache that you can sell off in the future.

This .... and there is nothing worse than living in a Federal assault weapons Ban environment and kicking yourself for not buying more when you could have for $10 per Magpul... then the gloom sets in....because you realize if you want more.... it is gonna really cost you.

So the question really comes down to..... can you live with that thought, and do you really have enough to live with. ?

It's not just whether you have enough, with prices these days and the gloom of recent presidential candidates on both sides, do your kids' kids have enough? Make sure.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just sayin'
View Quote

Truth

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#25]
More.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I have about 70 mags, and I think it is not enough. I have fixing all my old pre-ban aluminum magazines, painting them with Perma-Slik, adding new springs, followers, and Ranger Floorplates. They look like they just came off the assembly line. I am looking for some old ones to fix up.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#27]
It's funny but for 6 years I didn't even shoot my guns until the dems started talking about bans again. So for 2 years I had bought 1 mag per paycheck and now I have 50ish AR mags.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Were they really?    I knew they were expensive then but I didn't see that!  Yeow!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Think of them as currency, as seen during the "Great Gun-Grab Scare of 2012" magazines especially Pmags became the most trade-able item in the EE. I still remember CTD selling them for $99.00 a piece and people were actually buying them.

Not once... BUT (at least) twice they pulled this stuff. 2008 and 2012

Screenshots of the CTD online catalog:

http://ontheoutside.co/news/goodbye-cheaper-than-dirt/comment-page-1/

This is just like Bill Clinton, young folks, don't know of their antics!
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Store your ammo in mags.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#30]
My tax return should be coming within the next couple weeks. I've already told my wife to get ready, that I'd be spending about a grand on more ammo, and mags. I told her I'm not asking permission either, but telling. She knows that with the current political climate in our country, that things are going to get nasty, and prices are going to go up. My local Academy, and other gun stores are stocked up really good right now, but I expect to start seeing empty shelves by the end of Summer. I don't wanna be "that guy" kicking myself in the butt, cause I should've got it while the getting was good!
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So I have 2 ARs, and about 70 magazines for them - mostly Pmags.  While I'm well satisfied with my inventory, reading through the pinned "mag whores" thread, it would seem I have a woefully inadequate supply by comparison.  

What is the strategy behind having hundreds of mags per riffle?  ??
View Quote

A couple thoughts, OP:  

1.  I don't trust Clinton won't win the general election.  As such, prepare for a potential mag ban or at least issues finding them available and cheap.  Also, you're buying not just for you but your kids' kids' kids...

2.  Ammo is still king.  I'd say you could get away with holding off on more mags if you need ammo.  Ammo first, then mags (depending on current proportions available now).
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Y'all are strange.
View Quote
Having lived through the AWB/mag ban I respectfully disagree

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Just sayin'
View Quote
I have it but I'm not suffering from it

I needed a little bump so i ordered a few 30rd teflon black okays last night,now if they would just get the 20rd teflon back in stock

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm currently sitting around 410 mags for my AR's. And I still don't think I have enough.
I still buy GI 20's when I find them under $14, and that is the bulk of my mag collection.

I got into ARs during the ban, and I will never be in a position where I have no standard capacity mags.

Oh, that's not including my 3 Beta-Cs God 5.56, or my 9mm AR mags. Need to stock up on those too

And handguns? I need to pick up more for them too
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#35]
never enough.

Came across a deal on 100 new colt 30 rounders for $8.50 each.
Had to fo.

This is on top of all the other deals I got throughout the years on here.

Txl

Eta:  yeah  I remember the awb
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#36]
This is how I do it.
Buy 50 per rifle,  your supply, any significant others rifle, and 50 per child for the future.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you wonder why we all say fuck CTD that is why.
Never another penny
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#38]
You always need at least 10 more.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I have about 8 per rifle.

I should probably buy 10 more at some point.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Believe it or not, I think I've come to the point where I am sitting pretty good on mags

View Quote

Not, don't believe it.

Care to elaborate on your stash.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#42]
I turned all mine in to the local constabulary for fear that they might fall into the wrong hands.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#43]

How many magazines do I need rule

X = # of mags you currently own

1. X+1

2. Determine your new "X" quantity

3. Repeat rule #1

Mags are a form of AR currency. I use them to even out trades and whatnot.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Believe it or not, I think I've come to the point where I am sitting pretty good on mags

View Quote

Me too on rifles.  Never thought I would say that.  But I did order 2 more Magpul D60's the other day..

I'm still short a good bit on pistol mags.  I really want 10-15 per pistol.  A few short on that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a lot of FNH stuff. Mag prices are killin me

but I think i just need a couple more p90/scar mags. And FiveseveN mags.. FACK. I need mags.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Another problem is every time you get a new rifle the average drops in your mag and ammo stash...
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So I have 2 ARs, and about 70 magazines for them - mostly Pmags.  While I'm well satisfied with my inventory, reading through the pinned "mag whores" thread, it would seem I have a woefully inadequate supply by comparison.  

View Quote

87 mags per gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

87 mags per gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

87 mags per gun.

Spend that money on Ammo and training ;) Mags won't do shit for you if you can't shoot the gun they feed!
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 1:44:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm currently sitting around 410 mags for my AR's. And I still don't think I have enough.
I still buy GI 20's when I find them under $14, and that is the bulk of my mag collection.

I got into ARs during the ban, and I will never be in a position where I have no standard capacity mags.

Oh, that's not including my 3 Beta-Cs God 5.56, or my 9mm AR mags. Need to stock up on those too

And handguns? I need to pick up more for them too
View Quote

How do you plan on going through more than 410 magazines?
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top