Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/28/2015 2:37:19 PM EDT
I had a few when they first came out. Tried them during a HP match and had a few jams with 77gr.
Now I see them going for a premium price on the EE.
My trusty Colt 20s were more reliable than the PMAG 20s.
The new curved ones I have no experience with.
So what's the demand for the 1st gen PMAG 20s? What do you like about them to pay a premium for?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Mostly color but some match shooters really like them. I can't remember exactly why but there was a specific reason.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people think they look cool and some just really want anything 'they don't make anymore'...
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/683210_Gen_2_Magpul_PMAGS.html
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some gen 1 30 rounders and have had no problems with them. I wish I bought some of the blue ones they made years ago,just for the heck of it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the old school ones better because they look better straight and work good from a bench or prone position sitting flat.  I wish Magpul would make them straight again.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I collect the straight 20s.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 5 of them. Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#9]
They won't always lock the bolt back on the last round in my experience but work well enough.  I have 5 that I use ajd 10-15 others that are new.  I should sell some if they are bringing good money in the EE.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]
^^^This.  I've never had a jam with them but they rarely lock the bolt back on last shot.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Sold the twelve I had when the gen 3's came out.  Sold those too and now waiting for the gen 4's

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:13:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sold the twelve I had when the gen 3's came out.  Sold those too and now waiting for the gen 4's

View Quote

What turned you off on the Gen 3s??
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Some competitions don't allow curved 20 rounders for some classes, so a lot of people want them for that.

I have a few that are my main range mags, as they are are lot better for shooting prone, and are more compact.

I still have a couple NIW FG ones that I'll probably let go if they start selling for a high enough price to make it worth it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Some competitions don't allow curved 20 rounders for some classes, so a lot of people want them for that.
View Quote

That's odd, what difference would it make?

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's the reason that I couldn't remember. I found it odd when shooters mentioned it before and IIRC it's because the original issued twenties were straight.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#16]
The straight mags worked fine and looked good.

Magpul then said that the curved mags world better and there will never be a straight 20 round mag again.

No one ever had problems with the straight 20 round mags so I would guess it is only an ease of  production issue for them.

One thing is for sure. All curved 20 round mags look more hideous than Jake from State Farm.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:16:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I have 5 of the 1st Gen PMAG 20 round magazines ..fired hundreds of 55 grain
ammo through them and they ran 100% and always locked back when empty.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The straight 20 rounder was only available in a Gen 1 version for a relatively short time and was superseded in the line up with the M3 20rounder (there was a big gap there where we had no 20 rounder).

The 20 rounder ran well enough (but no where near as good as the M3) it was discontinued early as there were some last round bolt hold open issues that we were unhappy with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a few when they first came out. Tried them during a HP match and had a few jams with 77gr.

So what's the demand for the 1st gen PMAG 20s? What do you like about them to pay a premium for?

The straight 20 rounder was only available in a Gen 1 version for a relatively short time and was superseded in the line up with the M3 20rounder (there was a big gap there where we had no 20 rounder).

The 20 rounder ran well enough (but no where near as good as the M3) it was discontinued early as there were some last round bolt hold open issues that we were unhappy with.

Were there really a lot of complaints about this?  

I have never had any issues with the bolt not holding open...it would however be nice to see you guys put hem backvon the market...the demand seems to be there still...
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I have 3-4 that I have been using for years in several different rifles with never a problem of not locking back. Actually, this is the first time I have heard that--- and from Magpul themselves, no less. Dug around a bit and found 15-20 more in wrap so I guess I am set on them. Although--- usually I use the old Adventureline, Colt, or NHMTG 20's.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#20]
My straight 20 round mag pul mags probably get used more than any of my AR mags. Never had a problem. Wish I would have bought more of them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:14:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have 3-4 that I have been using for years in several different rifles with never a problem of not locking back. Actually, this is the first time I have heard that--- and from Magpul themselves, no less. Dug around a bit and found 15-20 more in wrap so I guess I am set on them. Although--- usually I use the old Adventureline, Colt, or NHMTG 20's.
View Quote

Never had any problems in my AR's not locking bolts back.  Used one in a new AR today no issues.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's the reason that I couldn't remember. I found it odd when shooters mentioned it before and IIRC it's because the original issued twenties were straight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  I think it's for CMP service rifle.  They have to appear close to what was issued in whatever era.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I only have 1, and have only used it in one rifle because I never took it out of the rifles case.

No problems with it at all.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:53:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I have about a half dozen that I use when I'm shooting off a bench.  Never had a single feed issue or bolt catch issue in hundreds of uses with about 10 different AR's.  I bought the last few I could find new in bags.  I really like the straights better than the curved from an aesthetics perspective, but I'm not going to go chasing them at current prices.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 6 of them. Never had an issue.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had two FDE loaded for a few years, prior to that, no issues with them when in regular work use. I found four NIW FDE 20rds that I hang onto. I got a few of the 20rd M3 mags but they seem to bulge out at the top when full, so I just use them for range fun. My 20rds do not do this...

I LOVE Magpul ish, but the curved 20rds mags seem like a waste of R&D/T&E.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My straight 20 round mag pul mags probably get used more than any of my AR mags. Never had a problem. Wish I would have bought more of them.
View Quote

This. My 20 round straight Pmags and 20 round Lancers are my most used.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#29]
if we want to go obscure, they don't work very well in my 7615.   look cool though.  no issues in an AR15
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 4:23:05 AM EDT
[#30]
My straight 20 round mag pul mags probably get used more than any of my AR mags
View Quote

I have two AR builds that exclusively use straight 20rd PMags, and I've never had an issue in either.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have never had any issues with the bolt not holding open...it would however be nice to see you guys put hem back on the market...the demand seems to be there still...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never had any issues with the bolt not holding open...it would however be nice to see you guys put hem back on the market...the demand seems to be there still...

If they put them back on the market people would stop wanting them.  Like many things in the gun world, people only want them because they can't get them.  Here in this very thread we even have a manufacturer rep essentially stating "there were problematic and didn't always work well" and people disagreeing with him.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#32]
They are my preferred mag.  I would buy more.  I have a handful and I rarely use any other mags.  I've never had an issue with any of mine
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Looks like the market is asking $20+ for these gen 1 straight mags. I'm inclined to sell the one I have. But I just don't want to buy a curved one to find out it doesn't work for me. I remember thinking the 20 was a waste to purchase with the 30s priced about the same but having one for bench use is nice.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I collect the straight 20s.
View Quote
Amen. The curved 20s may work okay....but I NEVER hand an issue with the general 1...and ANY curved AR 20 rounder will ALWAYS and FOREVER just look WRONG.

Magpul should......

MAKE BOTH!!!!!!

Honestly....sometimes...once in a great while...cooler IS better.

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I have several straight 20 PMags and like them.  I have had some issues with the last round not locking back, but those were related to 300BLK supers that I was testing and tweaking the load with.  I think they were just underpowered.  Had the same issue with a metal Colt 20 and the same rounds.  I think I have one curved 20.  Might still be in the bag.  I don't really see the value in the curved 20 over the 30.  That just doesn't make much sense unless you're restricted to 20 for some reason and want a reliable magazine.

Quoted:
Looks like the market is asking $20+ for these gen 1 straight mags. I'm inclined to sell the one I have. But I just don't want to buy a curved one to find out it doesn't work for me. I remember thinking the 20 was a waste to purchase with the 30s priced about the same but having one for bench use is nice.
View Quote

You like the mag, but you're willing to sell it just because it's worth probably $4 more than you paid several years ago?  More power to you, but I just can't follow the logic.  That $4 won't even buy you a box of ammo to fill it with.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I too would like to see the return of straight body 20's to the Pmag line-up. I have 4 or 5 with the round limiter that I use for hunting. If I had easy availability I've certainly buy more of them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I too would like to see the return of straight body 20's to the Pmag line-up. I have 4 or 5 with the round limiter that I use for hunting. If I had easy availability I've certainly buy more of them.
View Quote

Ditto.  The straight 20 P Mag and the straight 20 GI mag are my personal favorites.

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#38]
I am a 20 round mag fan.  Frankly though the gen3 20's have grown on me although I still have plenty of gen 1.  I have one gen 3 mag with 3,000 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You like the mag, but you're willing to sell it just because it's worth probably $4 more than you paid several years ago?  More power to you, but I just can't follow the logic.  That $4 won't even buy you a box of ammo to fill it with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may not but it would buy me two 30 rounders or maybe even a 40 rounder.  Looks like people are now asking $45 plus shipping for them now and the one guy selling them for $20 wasn't on the front page.  Apparently people are trying to get the straight mags while they can.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#40]
I always liked the 20 round mags. I had no idea they didn't make the straight ones anymore. I just gave a couple to my BIL when he visited 2 weeks ago
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#41]
The straight ones work fine if your gun in built within specs. I use mine for hunting and shooting off the bench and stuff. I wish they still made them, but surplus GI 20's work good too.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top