Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2015 1:12:47 PM EDT
Tried a search on this and didn't find what I was looking for...

I have 5 of these mags dated 12/12 and they take one hell of a smack to load in my rifles. I somewhat remember there being a fix for this posted somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Any of you have a lead on that for me?

Also, what were these mags originally designed for? The AR platform or something else?

Thanks y'all.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The fix it to take some metal off the top of the mag catch, I think someone made a video about it too?
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The E-lander mags are made in Israel (supposedly for the IDF) and I just purchased some for my 6.5 Grendel.  The 6.5 Grendel mags won't seat when fully loaded, only other option is down load the mag a round or two.  You can also lock the bolt back before you insert the mag if your ready to have a chambered round.   So far I like the E-Lander 6.5 Grendel mags.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The E-lander mags are made in Israel (supposedly for the IDF) and I just purchased some for my 6.5 Grendel.  The 6.5 Grendel mags won't seat when fully loaded, only other option is down load the mag a round or two.  You can also lock the bolt back before you insert the mag if your ready to have a chambered round.   So far I like the E-Lander 6.5 Grendel mags.
View Quote

Mine don't care if there's ammo in them or not.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#4]
The early elander magazines were known for this. It was a mag-catch issue so 'loaded-vs.-unloaded' wasn't really the biggest factor, except that they also have some of the strongest (if not THE strongest) magazine springs I've ever encountered in an AR magazine, so loading full mags on a closed bolt was even harder. Some guns, they wouldn't seat at all, period. IIRC, I had problems in three guns out of five. The solution was to slightly modify the mag catch area on the mag. Personally, as cheap as magazines are now, I wouldn't bother. I had something like 20 of them, and just saved the springs & mags out of them, tossing the bodies in the trash.

Their later rev are hugely better. The only complaint I have with them is their slick finish; it's just not grippy under a lot of conditions. But beyond that, their Gen-3 (or Mod-3..?) version is a great magazine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out Mrgunsngear Channel on YouTube.  He tests the mod2 and mod3 E- Landers.  The video on  mod2 is what you want to see, he files a little on the mag catch hole and mags are no longer so tight.  

I have the same 12/12 manufactured mod2 E-Landers that you have.  They fit my ArmaLites just a little tight, but my old Colt they fit perfectly with no mods. Even move a little bit in the loosey goosey Colt.

" />

" />
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The early elander magazines were known for this. It was a mag-catch issue so 'loaded-vs.-unloaded' wasn't really the biggest factor, except that they also have some of the strongest (if not THE strongest) magazine springs I've ever encountered in an AR magazine, so loading full mags on a closed bolt was even harder. Some guns, they wouldn't seat at all, period. IIRC, I had problems in three guns out of five. The solution was to slightly modify the mag catch area on the mag. Personally, as cheap as magazines are now, I wouldn't bother. I had something like 20 of them, and just saved the springs & mags out of them, tossing the bodies in the trash.

Their later rev are hugely better. The only complaint I have with them is their slick finish; it's just not grippy under a lot of conditions. But beyond that, their Gen-3 (or Mod-3..?) version is a great magazine.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Gen 3 E Landers are great magazines. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a bunch of the M3 or Gen 3 whatever E-Lander mags that work great.

I have heard about the issues with the 1st and 2nd gen mags. Many people had problems with them and the manufacturer or importer claimed that they were built to STANAG Specs so any AR that did not accept them was not Mil-Spec and the problem was the rifle and not the magazine and that pissed a lot of people off.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top