Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2015 7:45:24 PM EDT
The banned magazine manufacturer the starts with a "C" is now making their stainless 30-round .223/5.56 magazines with teflon finish. The last few years their stainless mags had some kind of black nitriting that is unpleasant to the touch and seems to have a high coefficient of friction.

I believe they call the new teflon finish "T-Black".  Has anyone had their hands on one? Does the teflon flake-off or is it good like D&H?

I know the vendor in question has a bad reputation and I agree that their teflon aluminum mags aren't that good, but I've always been a fan of their stainless mags; they just seem solid. I have some old (2008) stainless teflon mags from them and they are incredibly smooth but the teflon flakes off.

Any first hand accounts would be appreciated before I drop some cash to try one.

Thank You,
M
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I THINK they might be finished with ''Birdsong's Black-T'' which is a very good finish, and much respected. I say this as Birdsong's is local to me and I have several firearms done by them. A few months ago I was by there to pick up an AR I had finished for my wife and they were bagging and boxing a BUNCH of mags after coating them. They told me whose they were--- but I forget for sure. I have had them do M1 carbine and AR mags for me with the Teflon finish--- they are slick. And, they do rifles and mags in different colors also, my LMT was done in ''Tactical Green'' as well as the mags [NHMTG ]
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The banned magazine manufacturer the starts with a "C" is now making their stainless 30-round .223/5.56 magazines with teflon finish. The last few years their stainless mags had some kind of black nitriting that is unpleasant to the touch and seems to have a high coefficient of friction.

I believe they call the new teflon finish "T-Black".  Has anyone had their hands on one? Does the teflon flake-off or is it good like D&H?

I know the vendor in question has a bad reputation and I agree that their teflon aluminum mags aren't that good, but I've always been a fan of their stainless mags; they just seem solid. I have some old (2008) stainless teflon mags from them and they are incredibly smooth but the teflon flakes off.

Any first hand accounts would be appreciated before I drop some cash to try one.

Thank You,
M
View Quote

Gold plate a turd, it's still a turd.

WHY, when you can get known reliable magazines in 5.56 from...

Brownells
Center
Colt
Okay
Magpul
ETS
Lancer

And several others.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a SIG 226  done in Birdsong OD green. Had it done around '91- '92. Each of us at Barrett could get one firearm done free because we were sending so many rifles down there to get done.

Walter is a hell of a nice guy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I THINK they might be finished with ''Birdsong's Black-T'' which is a very good finish, and much respected. I say this as Birdsong's is local to me and I have several firearms done by them. A few months ago I was by there to pick up an AR I had finished for my wife and they were bagging and boxing a BUNCH of mags after coating them. They told me whose they were--- but I forget for sure. I have had them do M1 carbine and AR mags for me with the Teflon finish--- they are slick. And, they do rifles and mags in different colors also, my LMT was done in ''Tactical Green'' as well as the mags [NHMTG ]
View Quote

Yes, you are correct, it is "Birdsong Black-T". I should have looked at the magazine's website again before posting with incomplete info; my apologies.  Thank you for the info; I may have to try some!
M
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Gold plate a turd, it's still a turd.

WHY, when you can get known reliable magazines in 5.56 from...

Brownells
Center
Colt
Okay
Magpul
ETS
Lancer

And several others.
View Quote

Point well taken my friend. However, to answer your question, I like to have a variety of magazines in my "stash"... basically a little bit of everything. It's a hedge against future possible problems. Let's say just hypothetically I buy all PMAGs, there's another AWB, and in 30 years the polymer falls apart? That's my logic. Other's opinions/beliefs may vary

P.S. I have all of the above except ETS
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, Walter Sr. did pass away. Now his two sons, Walter Jr. [ Wally ] and Tyler are running the business-- and have actually expanded. The finish is a three step, very good finish, and mine have held up excellent. They coat every little piece/springs and are well protected for rust and corrosion.  Also, Wally and Tyler are great people, very honorable, and die-hard 2A of course. Full disclosure---- they are long-time friends, but everybody is aware of the quality of ''Black-T'',, so I do not feel I am ''shilling'' for them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If my memory is correct, Walter passed away back in 2009

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a SIG 226  done in Birdsong OD green. Had it done around '91- '92. Each of us at Barrett could get one firearm done free because we were sending so many rifles down there to get done.

Walter is a hell of a nice guy.

If my memory is correct, Walter passed away back in 2009

Wow. Didn't know that. His shop was incredible.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top