Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2015 8:53:33 PM EDT
So I keep reading on this website that Brownells mags are gtg, but on their own website the reviews are all over the place, from "excellent milspec mags, no problems" to "3-4 ftf per mag".  I've used Okays and feel they are #1 aluminum mag.  I also have some D&H and they have worked well, but I sliced my hand pretty bad loading my rifle with one of theirs.  My question is:  How good or bad are the Brownells 30 rounders?  I've heard they supply the military, but I don't know how that could be reading the reviews on Brownells website.  NHMTG would be great, but the cheapest I can find is $1.50 more than the Brownells and $4 more than D&H.  Please don't say PMag as I have enough of them, I want to stock up on some more aluminum.  Worst case scenario, I'll just spend the money and get Okays, but can I save some money and get one of the other two and still have excellent mags?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Wheelgun, I can only comment on one of the three metal magazine brands that you mentioned.
In the past, I have bought D&H mags when on sale, usually from PSA.
I have 56 of these mags, packed in x 2 "Fat 50" ammo cans.
I didn't buy these mags for an immediate need, but as a hedge against future bans.

I finally got around to testing some of these magazines.
Out of the first can of 28 mags, two of them, I considered out of service.
The two bad mags, out of 28, would not allow loading from stripper clips.
They also would have cartridges "hang up", when performing a ruler test.
With one other mag, I could feel / hear the bullet tips scraping against the inside of the magazine.
The inside dimensions of these mags were too short, from base to bullet tip.
Without firing one round, I have almost a 10% failure rate.
This is beginning to eat into the bottom line of my sale price $.

For me, in the future, I will be buying NHMTG / Okay / Colt for G.I. type mags.
The Brownells mags may be perfectly acceptable, but I wouldn't know from first hand experience.
I do have some of their 20 rd metal mags on the way, so fingers crossed.
Good luck, OP.

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I keep reading on this website that Brownells mags are gtg, but on their own website the reviews are all over the place, from "excellent milspec mags, no problems" to "3-4 ftf per mag".  I've used Okays and feel they are #1 aluminum mag.  I also have some D&H and they have worked well, but I sliced my hand pretty bad loading my rifle with one of theirs.  My question is:  How good or bad are the Brownells 30 rounders?  I've heard they supply the military, but I don't know how that could be reading the reviews on Brownells website.  NHMTG would be great, but the cheapest I can find is $1.50 more than the Brownells and $4 more than D&H.  Please don't say PMag as I have enough of them, I want to stock up on some more aluminum.  Worst case scenario, I'll just spend the money and get Okays, but can I save some money and get one of the other two and still have excellent mags?
View Quote

Shortly Okay Industries will be selling magazines through civilian channels. They will be called Okay SUREFeed. They will have Magpul Gen III followers installed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shortly Okay Industries will be selling magazines through civilian channels. They will be called Okay SUREFeed. They will have Magpul Gen III followers installed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't NHMTG made by Okay?
Edited for dyslexia.

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes NHMTG is made by Okay, I usually refer to them as Okay because that's easier to type than NHMTG.  rsqhobbs, thanks for your experience.  Pursuit, anything more specific on "shortly"?  I think I'm just going to spend the extra for the Okays and sleep well at night instead of worrying about whether or not they will work.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I would scratch D&H off that list and take a pick between the Brownells and NHMTG/Okays.

I've used many Brownells and Okay/NHMTG mags and they are both super excellent g.i. mags.  

The Brownells are not put together quite as pretty as an Okay/NHMTG, but it is NOT something that affects function at all.  I've had some pretty good conversations with Brownells guys about the mags they make.  They take their job seriously and it shows in the product.  

If you ever have an issue, Brownells customer service is quicker, but if you order the NHMTG/Okays from 44mag.com, they'll help you out as best they can.  I've only dealt with Okay once, they only communicate via email, but they were courteous.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:17:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't care how pretty they are (or aren't), but I do care whether or not they function 100%.  The brownells come with the GI green follower, is that correct?
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes NHMTG is made by Okay, I usually refer to them as Okay because that's easier to type than NHMTG.  rsqhobbs, thanks for your experience.  Pursuit, anything more specific on "shortly"?  I think I'm just going to spend the extra for the Okays and sleep well at night instead of worrying about whether or not they will work.
View Quote

Several months ago an employee of Okay reported here that they were entering the civilian market.

In the meantime Okay now lists a magazine on their web site called the EASYFeed..

As to when it's gong to hit the street, I have no idea.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:20:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay has discontinued mags marked NHMTG as they now are going to be selling their mags to the public. The mags are marked OKAY industries and called Okay surefeed and are offered in 20 and 30 round versions with either grey dry film or black teflon coatings. The black teflons make a great mag even better. I just received 10 black 30 rounders and 5 black 20 rounders.

Only place I have seen them for sale yet is Botach.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 2:35:42 AM EDT
[#9]
You can find them at 44Mag.com as well.  I bought three of the 20rd Teflon mags last week.  Finish, fit, and function are great.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 3:56:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:Several months ago an employee of Okay reported here that they were entering the civilian market.

In the meantime Okay now lists a magazine on their web site called the EASYFeed..

As to when it's gong to hit the street, I have no idea.
View Quote

Okay has a website for the SureFeed magazines.

The SureFeed magazines are <Edited, Link removed........dpmmn>

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Brownells mags are great, for the most part. They had a "bad " batch during the last panic, lots of FTF's. I had a bunch of them, and as Brownells is know for, they refunded my $ no problem.

I've used about 10-15 Brownells mags since (all with the factory installed Magpul followers) with mfg dates '14-'15, that are perfect. (Note, this post is referring to  the 30 rounders)

Buy with confidence!
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't care how pretty they are (or aren't), but I do care whether or not they function 100%.  The brownells come with the GI green follower, is that correct?
View Quote

All the ones I've used have been issued tan followers.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Did you buy those Brownells mags somewhere or were they issued to you?
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Did you buy those Brownells mags somewhere or were they issued to you?
View Quote

I don't think they're usually available through any regular commercial outlets, but they do pop up for sale around here quite a bit.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#15]
a good review

AR at public range rental

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/08/ar-endurance-findings-at-a-rental-range/

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Made hot

and link is copy of a long running thread from this site...
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Well why not just post what they said about mags?

thefirearmsblog.com

– USGI mags have outlasted all of the other brands. We use UGSI (Brownell’s with tan follower) and on a mag for mag basis, they have outlasted Pmags and a few of the other mags that we get from mfg’s with new weapons. We don’t have to worry about various generations with different weapons like the MR556, SCAR, F2000, Tavor or a couple of others that use AR15/M4 magazines. - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/08/ar-endurance-findings-at-a-rental-range/#sthash.ytm5l6Aj.dpuf
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Edited for dyslexia.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edited for dyslexia.

Is this why NHMTG is no longer officially producing magazines? (last I heard anyway) It would make sense if there basically working out contract issues & rebranding... NHMTG and Okay are sister companies both are Govt./LEO quality magazines I have both and the absolute only difference is the stamping on the bottom of the floor plate. If they start pumping out a crap ton under a new name that are just as good as what they were producing. Sign me up! High production numbers tend to = lower cost.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy Brownell USGI mags with tan followers with confidence, not only do they function 100% from my experience but if i recall correctly the high round count AR thread by Henderson Defense in Las Vegas posted here that they are the most reliable usgi mags his company has used. Look for the thread. Also Brownells stands behind there products with a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is this why NHMTG is no longer officially producing magazines? (last I heard anyway) It would make sense if there basically working out contract issues & rebranding... NHMTG and Okay are sister companies both are Govt./LEO quality magazines I have both and the absolute only difference is the stamping on the bottom of the floor plate. If they start pumping out a crap ton under a new name that are just as good as what they were producing. Sign me up! High production numbers tend to = lower cost.
View Quote

AFAIK, on the Okay/Colt/NHMTG thing, Okay is the only actual manufacturer in the equation. They make magazines which were then sold under the Colt and NHMTG brands. As I understand the new change, they're doing away with the NHMTG brand, and replacing it with their Okay SureFeed brand.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

AFAIK, on the Okay/Colt/NHMTG thing, Okay is the only actual manufacturer in the equation. They make magazines which were then sold under the Colt and NHMTG brands. As I understand the new change, they're doing away with the NHMTG brand, and replacing it with their Okay SureFeed brand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS^^^

There NEVER was a manufacturer named NHMTG!

Okay Industries produced magazines for Ronan Corperation that were marked "NHMTG".

Okay decided to no longer manufacture magazines for Ronan with that label. Ronan is now selling the new SUREFeed Okay Industries magazines.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#22]
If you look inside a Colt or NHMTG magazine they'e internally marked with a date & manufacture code that is the same on all three brands.

They're ALL Okay, all the bodies are made to the same spec.  The only difference is the follower.  

All the Colts I've ever seen have the green g.i. follower
Okays since sometime in '09 have the tan follower.
NHMTGs since sometime in '09 have Magpul Gen III followers.

Before they had the tan followers, and NHMTG mags came with the green g.i. followers, they were even marked with the 33710 cage code. I have a pile of these...
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Excellent, I know one gift I'm giving myself then. If I have lose ammo, (and I do) iIt needs a proper home (magazine) I figure once I get about 20 30rounders loaded up, I'm GTG. I like my 3rd gen Magpull Pmags, but these just can't seem to be beat (unless you have a assault bag full... they are noisy when you're running...ask me how I know) PMags are much quieter if you have to just toss a bunch in a bag on your back and start running.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Brownells mags are good to go.  They do indeed have a contract for military issue magazines.  I have been issued them in recent years by the military.

I like Brownells mags so well that I just ordered 10 of them.  Ordered them with the Magpul anti tip followers.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#25]
The only manufacturer with a contract now is Center Industries.  Might have something to do with the Okay name entering the commercial market.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Brownells mags are good to go.  They do indeed have a contract for military issue magazines.  I have been issued them in recent years by the military.

I like Brownells mags so well that I just ordered 10 of them.  Ordered them with the Magpul anti tip followers.
View Quote

Are Brownells mags with the tan follower available to the public?

Brownells website shows the green follower or the magpul in the pics

If you find them please post a link (tan followers)
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:21:50 AM EDT
[#27]
These are the ones I bought

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-m16-30rd-223-5-56-magazine-with-magpul-follower-prod24307.aspx

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Buy Brownell USGI mags with tan followers with confidence, not only do they function 100% from my experience but if i recall correctly the high round count AR thread by Henderson Defense in Las Vegas posted here that they are the most reliable usgi mags his company has used. Look for the thread. Also Brownells stands behind there products with a lifetime warranty.
View Quote

Link?

All I see are the green and Magpul follower mags.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Link?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

I don't believe that Brownells (or any other manufacturer) can sell the tan follower mags to Joe Citizen.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#30]
What's wrong with D&H mags ??
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing that I have ever found wrong with them, I have lots of them and they shoot in my AR as well as my M16
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

D&H used to be known as LaBelle when they had a military contract to supply magazines.
It was during this time that they earned a reputation for being the lowest quality AR mag supplier the government had.
LaBelle subsequently lost their contract and became D&H.

Are they better than the other discount AR magazine makers? Absolutely.
Are they as good as the best makers? No.

It's up to you to decide if they worth a roll of the dice or not.
Many of us here refuse to play crash-test dummy with our wallets.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you shot any D&H mags?  If yes, have you had any problems?  I have never had any problems with the ones I have, so I am just curious and after 30 years in the Army, I have seen some really good stuff and I have seen some really crappy stuff.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll stick with Okay Industries 30 round mags, they've produced more than all of the rest combined. When was the last complaint you saw on a Okay mag?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'll stick with Okay Industries 30 round mags, they've produced more than all of the rest combined. When was the last complaint you saw on a Okay mag?
View Quote

Being honest with you, I rarely see any complaints about mags on any other system than this one, but of course I shoot, I don't spend to much time complaining.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Brownells mags are great, for the most part. They had a "bad " batch during the last panic, lots of FTF's. I had a bunch of them, and as Brownells is know for, they refunded my $ no problem.

I've used about 10-15 Brownells mags since (all with the factory installed Magpul followers) with mfg dates '14-'15, that are perfect. (Note, this post is referring to  the 30 rounders)

Buy with confidence!
View Quote

What year/month was the problem ? Wondering how you'd tell if some mags might be among them.

Was it military and commercial mags, or restricted to only the commercial production ?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

D&H used to be known as LaBelle when they had a military contract to supply magazines.
It was during this time that they earned a reputation for being the lowest quality AR mag supplier the government had.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ran lots of them no issues

cant say the same for pmags
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:55:35 AM EDT
[#38]
PMAGs work 100% for me, the only one I had an issue with was a early 20 rounder.

I had plenty of failures with USGI mags but they were most likely POS the armory refused to throw out. I despise tan followers, reinventing the wheel is what the government does best and I had a brand new one give me 2 double feeds in a row during pre-deployment training. I refuse to use tan followers, and only trust Okay, Brownells and Center with Magpul followers. I never seen Labelle/D&H mags at all so no experience with them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worse than Cooper or Sanchez before green followers?
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just posted about issues with their 10 round mags a few weeks ago.  For whatever reason when the top round was pushed down in the mag it would not push back up against the feed lip.....it would stay slightly below the feed lip.  This caused fail to chamber rounds as the bolt passes over the round in the mag without picking it up.  

I bought d&h 10 rounders instead.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I just posted about issues with their 10 round mags a few weeks ago.  For whatever reason when the top round was pushed down in the mag it would not push back up against the feed lip.....it would stay slightly below the feed lip.  This caused fail to chamber rounds as the bolt passes over the round in the mag without picking it up.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here was a reply to another posting about issues with MODIFIED Okay magazines...

Quoted:
How old is your Okay 10/20rd mag?  The reason I ask is that Okay doesn't manufacture a blocked 20rd mag (I would know because I work at OKAY).  It could be that your mag was modified after it left the factory by an aftermarket company/dealer & that is why you're having issues.

Plus, my AR "goes into harms way" and it sure as hell isn't going to be stoked with a 10 round magazine!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Had the standard brownells magazines issued to me for my last deployment no problems.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Here was a reply to another posting about issues with MODIFIED Okay magazines...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
How old is your Okay 10/20rd mag?  The reason I ask is that Okay doesn't manufacture a blocked 20rd mag (I would know because I work at OKAY).  It could be that your mag was modified after it left the factory by an aftermarket company/dealer & that is why you're having issues.

The ones I had came right from 44 mag.com about a month ago.  I returned them.  

It's not an issue with me and what i am doing.  the rounds in the mag would not recover when pushed down.

So with a mag loaded in the rifle on a closed bolt:
When the bolt starts to open the bolt is pushing/holding the rounds slightly down in the mag.  When the bolt clears the rounds the rounds should pop up and flush with the feed lips.  With the okay 10 round mags I had this would not happen.  The rounds would stay pushed down in the mag and the bolt could not strip them off on the closing stroke.

Because of the above if I tried to load the rifle from a closed bolt it would never load.....

This is most likely confined to 10 round mags.  They are the bastard child of ar mags.  Everyone makes them slightly differently.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top