Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2015 2:32:20 PM EDT
So I tried to find my answer by google searching, kinda got old results and mixed reviews. Are Brownells 20 rounders mil spec? I found some bad reviews while others claimed they are great and USGI.
I also found this site: http://www.targetsportsusa.com/brownells-ar15-m16-223-remington-556-nato-magazine-20-rounds-in-stainless-steel-spring-078-000-160-p-28163.aspx
Seems to good to be true. Could they be counterfit?
Found this old thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/564547_Brownells_Mags_vs__USGI_Mags.html where Brownells says "You may have seen these magazines at gun shows for somewhere around $7 each. You can't make a proper tan follower mag for that much, so....somebody must be getting a screaming deal. :-)"
Not sure if they are insinuating they (mags for $7) are fakes?
I was looking at NHMTGs for $14~ each, but hey if I can get good USGI mags for half of that, why not?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Those mags look legit, they're good mags.

They're not really like original G.I. 20s.  They're made like a 30 at the top and the ribs are different.

ETA:

There have been unit level purchases of Brownells 20s to use in SPRs.  Guys who used 'em said they did their thing, which is not surprising since Brownells' 30 round contract mags are great mags.  

I wouldn't be scared of a Brownells 20at all.   The only reason not to get 'em is if you are looking for an exact clone of a g.i. mag.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I just used four Brownell's 20 rd. aluminum mags for the first time yesterday. I was somewhat reluctant as all my mags are either steel, SS or P-Mags....all 20 rounds. When I got the 4 mags one of them was a little tight inserting into the mag well while empty so I was expecting problems right away. Long story short, all four mags repeatedly worked flawlessly, loaded to full capacity. No failures to feed or drop while empty. Now I'm a fan because they are lighter than my steel mags and will be well used in my rotation.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#3]
dupe.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I truly doubt Targetsports would sell fake Brownells mags.  In the early production Brownells mags... Brownells did have some "growing pains" fine tuning production... I have faith in them now.... I ordered some.

BTW, both the SS spring and Chrome Silicon springs are available.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/brownells-ar15-m16-223-remington-556-nato-magazine-20-rounds-in-chrome-silicon-spring-078-000-159-p-28162.aspx

Schucks... the thirties and twenties are on sale, both spring types...

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/CSearch.aspx?Search=Brownells&CategoryID=0&ManufacturerID=0&SectionID=0&PriceRange=0&SortBy=1&PageSize=12&AndOr=AND&DisplayMode=Grid&Condition=-1&SearchPartNumbersOnly=0

Darn good deals.... buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 11:24:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a few dozen coming my way, My mag stash is low on 20s
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just used four Brownell's 20 rd. aluminum mags for the first time yesterday. I was somewhat reluctant as all my mags are either steel, SS or P-Mags....all 20 rounds. When I got the 4 mags one of them was a little tight inserting into the mag well while empty so I was expecting problems right away. Long story short, all four mags repeatedly worked flawlessly, loaded to full capacity. No failures to feed or drop while empty. Now I'm a fan because they are lighter than my steel mags and will be well used in my rotation.
View Quote

What, C-Products or ASC? Aluminum is USGI, the best. CProducts and ASC are hit & miss at best. Are yours 100% reliable?
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a handful of the straight 20s from Brownells that functioned perfectly as far as I remember. My A-Hole shooting buddy must've liked them because I just noticed my range bag has zero of the 20s left in it
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What, C-Products or ASC? Aluminum is USGI, the best. CProducts and ASC are hit & miss at best. Are yours 100% reliable?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SS mags I was referring to are Midway's "Stoner" brand mags. They and my P mags have been the most reliable mags (20 rd) that I have.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#9]
damn thats a nice price on the mags but shipping is $16 for 2 20rd mags
I think I remember the Stoner mags being made by C-Products,anyone else remember this?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:35:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I got 10 mags. They are dated around 2009. Why would they be selling 5-6 year old mags?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:27:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got 10 mags. They are dated around 2009. Why would they be selling 5-6 year old mags?
View Quote

Poor stock rotation? Massive '09 order that didn't sell as expected?

Are you concerned about the age of the mags?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:52:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda wandering if there was a bad batch in '09 or was the quality the same then?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
damn thats a nice price on the mags but shipping is $16 for 2 20rd mags

I think I remember the Stoner mags being made by C-Products,anyone else remember this?

View Quote

Yes, that is/was my understanding also. I have several that I bought on ''sale'' from Midway around  2010 but have never tried them. Others at the time were saying they were GTG, so I bought some. The 20  round straight S.S. C-Products have been flawless for me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Kinda wandering if there was a bad batch in '09 or was the quality the same then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt it was a bad batch. I just got mine from Targetsports and while the majority were from January or March 2009 I found a few made in 2008, as well as one made in August 2007. It does make me curious where these must have been hiding to avoid getting bought up this whole time.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I doubt it was a bad batch. I just got mine from Targetsports and while the majority were from January or March 2009 I found a few made in 2008, as well as one made in August 2007. It does make me curious where these must have been hiding to avoid getting bought up this whole time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first and then second Brownells 20 round mags that I ordered years ago were dated sometime in 2007 and March 2009, respectively.

The 07 mag has only been used for light bench use, but the 09 magazine went with me to an Army NTC rotation as well as on an Afghanistan deployment last year.  It was the magazine I kept in the M4 due to working in confined spaces.

I'll follow up with a photo, but despite being malfunction-free, it has very little gray film finish left on the exterior.  While heavy wind and sand can possibly account for the finish wear, it does seem like perhaps the finish became worn somewhat easily.  Nonetheless I still use it worry free on the range, and wouldnt hesitate to carry it once again.  I should point out that the wear was simply with the dry film finish, not the anodizing.  The magazine simply looks bronze, like a heavily-worn Vietnam era magazine.

As it turns out, the handful of 20 rounders I just received from Target Sports are also dated March of 2009.  It will be interesting to see how their finish holds up over time.  As long as they perform as well as my "deployment" magazine that I bought directly from Brownells years ago, I'm not terribly worried if they all "age" somwewhat prematurely.  I suppose it's kind of like having a magazine that throws itself down the driveway.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]
excellant
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have about 20. No problems.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top