AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Samuse, I'm a newb, need to start buying mags - would you please elaborate on the kinds of issues you've had with the Gen 3 Magpuls?
View Quote

Start here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_124/235389_Gen_M3_20_round_magpul_issues.html

I have used some of the sand colored 20s and 30s and they acted fine.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
After a year left loaded, the feedlips on my clear Lancet spread, and wouldn't feed properly. Had some pmags stay loaded for almost the same amount time. No issues. Take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The 20 round M3 issue was very early on and only with certain types of ammunition. As such it took us a month or so of testing to identify and duplicate the exact problem.

The issue was resolved shortly thereafter with an adjustment in the tooling and anyone who discovers they have an affected magazine can have them replaced by us at no charge.
View Quote

Y'all replaced mine and my three new ones went to the range for the first time today and they acted ok.  I hope they continue to do so...
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Magpul = Hooker  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You really cant cheat on a consumable product, of which there are millions of versions exactly like yours.

Its like cheating on a hooker.

Fair point and quote worthy.
Magpul = Hooker  

That's a load of crap. Have you ever agonized over how to dispose of a dead PMAG? Alright then.

As to the OP...no. I like Magpul. I like the people behind Magpul. I still own Lancers, HK polymer, and a few others. However, PMAG's are what I'd ask for if someone told me I was going to be "deployed to a foreign planet, with only a few magazines" in some fantasy scenario.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The 20 round M3 issue was very early on and only with certain types of ammunition. As such it took us a month or so of testing to identify and duplicate the exact problem.

The issue was resolved shortly thereafter with an adjustment in the tooling and anyone who discovers they have an affected magazine can have them replaced by us at no charge.
View Quote

Serious question for a prospective buyer:  What was the latest revision with the M3s that involved a rib at the inside of the feedlips and when was it implemented?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The 20 round M3 issue was very early on and only with certain types of ammunition...

...The issue was resolved shortly thereafter with an adjustment in the tooling...
View Quote

There are different types/iterations/generations (whatever word is appropriate) within the Gen3..? I wasn't aware of that.

On the broader topic, the issues I've had with Gen3's (and there haven't been many) have all been with 30-rounders, not 20-rounders.

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I think of having other options more along the lines and for diversifying a portfolio. Have I however had an issue with Pmags? No. But I'd like to have other reliable opinions so I have my USGI and Lancer mags as well. I might get some Hex and ETS mags as well.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I must say your question is lame, OP.  I'm not brand loyal to any company.  I buy the best product that I can afford.   When it comes to mags, Lancers are the best, IMO.  I also like that the company is local to me, so if I have issues, I know I'll be taken care of very quickly.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I must say your question is lame, OP.  I'm not brand loyal to any company.  I buy the best product that I can afford.   When it comes to mags, Lancers are the best, IMO.  I also like that the company is local to me, so if I have issues, I know I'll be taken care of very quickly.
View Quote

Lame? Nah.

Magpul is what has been bumping around in my vest, packs, kits, cars and at home for years. Never a single issue.

Brand loyalty? I guess so. Nothing wrong with that.

Are you saying you don't have a single thing that you buy repeatedly because it's always been good and reliable?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm loyal to whatever quality mag goes on sale.
Earlier today, that was MOE PMAGS at $8.99 from Primary Arms.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:36:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Are Pmags the be all/end all of AR mags? No, I've got a bucket load of NHMTG mags as well...

But Magpul puts out a damn good product at a competitive price point that takes abuse and just plain works, and IF it doesn't work the company will make it right. The rest of their product lineup (stocks, grips, handguards, etc) are durable, affordable, and consistently manufactured so you know it will fit properly. Plus they up and moved their company in response to anti 2A BS and that's no small expense. So when I find a good company I stick with their products. If you feel the same about Lancer, Hexmags, ETS, etc then rock on. Hell, most guys are more loyal to shitty cheap beer...
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I like my Pmags and have yet to experience a problem with any of the 3 generations.

There was some rumor about an issue with the early gen 3, 40 rounders. One of these days I will get around to checking the batch numbers on mine.

Keep up the good work Magpul! See you guys at the shot show in a couple of months.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a ton of PMAGs, M2 and M3. I have a ton of lancer mags. I like my lancers more, but the PMAGs are a great mag at a great pricepoint, I pick either up when they're on sale. I have many other magpul products, all of their stuff is G2G, but so is Lancer. I buy whatever is on sale.I think if you haven't tried lancer mags they're definitely worth the price and I'd pick them up. I wouldn't ditch one for the other though, I like em both.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I could trade all of my PMAGs for Lancers, I would. I still buy every PMAG I see for $8 or less though.

This.

I have three NIW Black Lancers. I'd trade for NIW Windowed Foliage PMAGs.

Link to EE: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=24&t=1485060
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I do not know what magazines you are referencing but PMag have been loaded for 3 years + with no cover and it did not effect round retention or function.

We also do heat cycle tests similar to this to test feed lip integrity at it worse condition (extreme heat)

https://youtu.be/M3Exl10-hE0?list=PLLLtq9scclwKVYVSGUsrOsprdHo_TKJt7
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After a year left loaded, the feedlips on mine spread, and wouldn't feed properly.

I do not know what magazines you are referencing but PMag have been loaded for 3 years + with no cover and it did not effect round retention or function.

We also do heat cycle tests similar to this to test feed lip integrity at it worse condition (extreme heat)

https://youtu.be/M3Exl10-hE0?list=PLLLtq9scclwKVYVSGUsrOsprdHo_TKJt7

Edited for clarity.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't always operate, but when I do, I prefer Magpul magazines.  Stay armed my friends!

Seriously, I own about forty Pmags, mostly 30rds but a few 20 rds.  In my limited shooting, I've never had a jam with one.  When I see them on sale, I snatch them up!
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've got a ton of PMAGs, M2 and M3. I have a ton of lancer mags. I like my lancers more, but the PMAGs are a great mag at a great pricepoint, I pick either up when they're on sale. I have many other magpul products, all of their stuff is G2G, but so is Lancer. I buy whatever is on sale.I think if you haven't tried lancer mags they're definitely worth the price and I'd pick them up. I wouldn't ditch one for the other though, I like em both.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#21]
It's not cheating on Magpul if you buy Lancers for magazines and Magpul for stocks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I use Pmags (2 and 3), Lancer AWM's, and ETS mags. I love them all, and have never experienced issues with any of them. If I had my choice of them for the same price, I'd prefer AWM's simply because the steel feed lips make me feel warm and fuzzy
But the Pmags are a hell of deal at the prices they go for, and I've yet to have an issue with them. GTG in my book. Most any popular mags will be GTG, as they wouldn't be around anymore with the current information sharing that exists these days.
ETA: however, I will never cheat on Magpul's K2 grip. That grip is, for me, perfection and I use them exclusively.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I understand the OPs sentiment.  IMHO, you go with what works and deviate when that's no longer the case.

Magpul has earned a reputation for great design and quality product and, to be frank, I have great respect for their business ethos and culture.

Until they put out crap product, they've earned my loyalty.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Lancer mags are far superior to the P Mag. Why buy anything else?
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lancer mags are far superior to the P Mag. Why buy anything else?
View Quote

In my admittedly-limited experience, the Lancers seat tighter on a closed bolt and have a slightly shorter OAL than a Pmag or GI style; PRVI factory 75-grainers have issues in my lancers due to length. The Pmags have the rare instances of top-round transposition and spine cracking. The GI style won't let you see how many rounds you have left. For hunting, the Lancer is my choice due to round visibility. For general range stuff the pmag or GI are my preferred. For selling in the next panic, magpuls probably offer the best bang for buck. For personal holy-crap use, the GI are still "it" for me.

I keep saying that I'm done experimenting with new magazines, but I confess that the ETS intrigue me and I may try them one of these days. And the Magpul D-60 probably as well, assuming the release date doesn't keep getting pushed back into my grandkids' lifetimes...
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 12:59:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
After a year left loaded, the feedlips on my clear Lancet spread, and wouldn't feed properly. Had some pmags stay loaded for almost the same amount time. No issues. Take it for what it's worth.
View Quote

What?  Your clear Lancer with steel feed lips spread?
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 5:41:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS. I find it hard to believe that hardened, tempered, steel feed lips had any movement from loaded storage. Have you contacted Lancer about this?
Lancers ARE hard to seat on a closed bolt, but they will. You just have to smack the Sh$t out of them when inserting.
As I've said, I have zero issues with Pmags, and they work. However... the steel feed lips in the AWM's make me feel "warm and fuzzy" and inspire confidence (and are my go to battle mags). Pmags, for as cheap as you get them, are one HELL of a mag though!
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

THIS. I find it hard to believe that hardened, tempered, steel feed lips had any movement from loaded storage. Have you contacted Lancer about this?
Lancers ARE hard to seat on a closed bolt, but they will. You just have to smack the Sh$t out of them when inserting.
As I've said, I have zero issues with Pmags, and they work. However... the steel feed lips in the AWM's make me feel "warm and fuzzy" and inspire confidence (and are my go to battle mags). Pmags, for as cheap as you get them, are one HELL of a mag though!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's always one..........

IMG_4368
by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could see it happening with an L5, not with an AWM though
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

RevMs are not M3s.  You are correct, I have never cracked a Pmag, hope I never do. I have a bunch of Gen M2 Pmags.   The Gen M3s didn't work out for me.  I'm good with my Gen M2s and don't see myself buying any more after my experience with early Gen M3 20s and 30s.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
After all the trouble I've had with Magpul 20s and Gen3 30s....  No.  I'll probably never buy another Pmag.

You just posted yesterday about how you have never personally cracked a PMag and ran several M3s for a long period in matches with relatively few issues...

Quoted:
I'm not all that hot for Pmags but I ran a set of 12 RevMs to the point of being unreliable. It took over 15K rounds in a training and match environment to do it and I only had a few malfunctions with those, but retired the entire set due to mileage and the desire to keep things consistent. I have a set of 6 Gen M2 30s that I use now if I'm going to be working over cement or other hard surfaces.

I have never personally cracked a Pmag, but I've dropped 'em partially loaded on hard surfaces and slammed 'em in many many times. I also don't clean my plastic stuff with anything stronger than diluted hand dish washing soap and water.

RevMs are not M3s.  You are correct, I have never cracked a Pmag, hope I never do. I have a bunch of Gen M2 Pmags.   The Gen M3s didn't work out for me.  I'm good with my Gen M2s and don't see myself buying any more after my experience with early Gen M3 20s and 30s.  

I have not kept up to date on the gen3 Pmags and after reading that many have had issues with them I am concerned as I bought several that are still in the plastic. I think I will test them out this week and see if they run reliably.  Those of you that have had problems (malfunctions,etc) have you contacted Magpul and did they replace them or make it good? All of my other Pmags have been 100% including the 20's G2. So far I have been happy with all things Magpul.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have not kept up to date on the gen3 Pmags and after reading that many have had issues with them I am concerned as I bought several that are still in the plastic. I think I will test them out this week and see if they run reliably.  Those of you that have had problems (malfunctions,etc) have you contacted Magpul and did they replace them or make it good? All of my other Pmags have been 100% including the 20's G2. So far I have been happy with all things Magpul.
View Quote

Yes.  I had some GenM3 20s that gave me trouble and they swapped 'em out for me.  GTG since then.

The Gen M3 30s they are making right now, as in the past couple months, seem GTG from my limited usage.  They changed the mold to prevent the second round from the top crossing the first and it looks like a solid fix.  

If I couldn't get new production Gen M3s, I'd stick with the MOE mags.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top