Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2015 12:37:16 AM EDT
Posted this question in the Magpul forum, but figured I would ask here as well.

I saw that the new sand magazines have a extra guide rib to keep supposition of the second round from happening, however I am wondering if new production black M3 mags have this as well.

I'm wanting to buy some new Pmags but prefer black, however if only the sand have the extra guide rib I'll have to settle for them and want to know before I purchase.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I saw that the new sand magazines have a extra guide rib to keep supposition of the second round from happening, however I am wondering if new production black M3 mags have this as well.

I'm wanting to buy some new Pmags but prefer black, however if only the sand have the extra guide rib I'll have to settle for them and want to know before I purchase.
View Quote

Bump for more info?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Dammit.  EVERY TIME someone says "M3" I think Grease Gun and get excited,
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
This is welcomed news. I'm going to wait a while for the market to saturate with these new mags, and then I am tossing all my old M3s in the trash. I look forward to using Pmags again.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is welcomed news. I'm going to wait a while for the market to saturate with these new mags, and then I am tossing all my old M3s in the trash. I look forward to using Pmags again.
View Quote

Or you could just buy Gen M2s and avoid all the bullshit.  Or better yet, NHMTGs....
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks SPQR....well maybe, my wife will hate me for a day or two now...looks like I'm off to buy some new Pmags.

I just want the newest and best revision Pmags.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Or you could just buy Gen M2s and avoid all the bullshit.  Or better yet, NHMTGs....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a bunch of NHMTG 20rd magazines. They have been extremely faithful. I suppose you're right about the Gen 2s though. Those are sufficiently proven. I guess I liked the slimmer profile of the M3s, but they never worked properly. Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:59:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey, I wasn't trying to be a turd. I have nothing against Magpul. No need to drag the experience of millions of others in here. I'm only speaking for myself. My 30rd M3s just wouldn't cooperate on a closed bolt.

You would really take these back? Somehow I don't feel right doing that, unless you insisted. I was simply planning on buying a bunch of newer M3s anyways.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's why I'm here.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It is very common for us to trade out magazines having issues.

It actually helps us in the quality assurance dept as we keep track of issues as they occur in the field.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, I wasn't trying to be a turd. I have nothing against Magpul. No need to drag the experience of millions of others in here. I'm only speaking for myself. My 30rd M3s just wouldn't cooperate on a closed bolt.

You would really take these back? Somehow I don't feel right doing that, unless you insisted. I was simply planning on buying a bunch of newer M3s anyways.

It is very common for us to trade out magazines having issues.

It actually helps us in the quality assurance dept as we keep track of issues as they occur in the field.

Awesome customer service Magpul!
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Buy sand and dye black?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:11:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

that sort of attitude keeps the production lines humming.    
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magpuls are my favorite mags and if new ones are available I must has!!!!

My first order of 10 will be here tomorrow so i'll see if they have the new mod, they should since the place I ordered from was backordered and this is a new shipment.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm curious to see the date.  It seems like there's still a flood of 2013 made Pmags out there in the pipeline.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think Benelli
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Snip -

The window mags never exhibited it at all due to all being on the smaller side of the tolerance range...once again, it's a tiny tiny difference in internal dimensions between those that allowed it and those that did not, and it certainly wasn't with all ammunitions.

-Snip
View Quote

Are you speaking of only Gen 3 windowed PMags?

Because I have a Gen 2 windowed mag that has the transposition problem. Manufactured 3-10.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:31:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm curious to see the date.  It seems like there's still a flood of 2013 made Pmags out there in the pipeline.
View Quote

We'll see tomorrow. I ordered from DSGArms for the specific reason of them being out of stock, so the batch I have coming tomorrow should be new.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#22]
So my first batch of 10 came in from DSG, they were sold out when I ordered them and it was a backorder, so I was figuring they would be brand new production. However they are still 2013 magazines...

I have found all 30 of my M3 magazines have the issue of the second round transposing upon the first, however I have still been able to seat the magazine even with the rounds transposed as long as I give it a nice hard slap on a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#23]
What month in '13 are they from?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

9/2013

Makes me wonder how a company has a backorder and is sold out of mags, gets old production mags.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

9/2013

Makes me wonder how a company has a backorder and is sold out of mags, gets old production mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9/2013

That should be after the first known revision of the Gen M3.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9/2013

Well I have another order of 10 on their way that was also backordered. I'll update this when they come in tomorrow and I can inspect them for manufacturing date.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Got the final 10 pack in and again all are 9/2013 production.
Looks like Magpul is distributing all their old stock before sending dealer the new stock of mags with the fix.

So I now have 40 mags that have supposition of the second round.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looks like Magpul is distributing all their old stock before sending dealer the new stock of mags with the fix.

View Quote

I'd send 'em back and buy Gen M2s or legit g.i. mags.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm tempted to contact Magpul about the issue. I mean I can still seat the mag with a forcefully slap with the bolt closed, however it is clearly a design flaw to have 40 mags with supposition issues.

Ha-ha and oddly enough the 40 M2 mags I purchased last year are dated 5/2014.

It's funny that the M2 are of a newer date than my M3 mags I purchased 2 daymodels,

I won't use GI mags, not until the new brown ones with grey followers are available. The main reason I use Magpul mags is because we know their rated to -60 and they have the best feed angle of any magazine I have used and I have used a lot of them.

Magpul has the feed angle perfect for the AR-15 rifle, and I won't give that up. Hopefully I can get a few replaced with new production models, however what supposition there is, I can live with giving the mag an extra hard slap to seat it on a closed bolt for all the benefits of the M3.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#30]
How do you know that the feed angle doesn't cause or exacerbate the tendency of the second round transposition?

Magpul has stated that the Gen M2 has the same feed angle as the M3 and I think the M2s are fine.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:24:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Instead of "tossing your old M3s in the trash", why don't you just "toss" them my way.  I'll even pay shipping.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:27:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How do you know that the feed angle doesn't cause or exacerbate the tendency of the second round transposition?

Magpul has stated that the Gen M2 has the same feed angle as the M3 and I think the M2s are fine.

View Quote

I would actually feel quite certain in my ability to say that the feed angle is the sole reason for the transposition issues.

From what I can tell it is directly related to it. It's kind of a catch 22, the most ideal feed angle for the AR platform, yet it can cause issues if proactive measures aren't taken like they have done.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:15:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Did you bother to call Magpul?

They always answer the phone during regular business hours

Let me add that I ordered some of the Sand from DSG back in Early September and the date code was May 2015

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=80018

View Quote

I sent them an email tonight. Figured if I haven't heard back mid day Monday I'll give them a call.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I would actually feel quite certain in my ability to say that the feed angle is the sole reason for the transposition issues.

From what I can tell it is directly related to it. It's kind of a catch 22, the most ideal feed angle for the AR platform, yet it can cause issues if proactive measures aren't taken like they have done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slick as snot feeding does not necessarily equate to reliability.  Feeding the round is only part of the entire cycle.  Holding the rounds securely in the magazine is just as important.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey Magpul it's great that y'all are stepping in here.

In my experience the Gen M2 is not as prone to the transposition issue as the Gen M3 (And I've legitimately experienced it with Gen M3 30s and 20s).  Am I just lucky, or is there a difference that makes them hold the top two rounds in position better?

I've been an intermittent Pmag user since the Rev M and the Rev M/ Gen M2 30s have been the best ones for me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#38]
That's quite the post Magpul, I truly appreciate you taking the time to test and type all that out.

I must admit I have not seen any feeding issues come up from the fact that transposition happens, the only issue I have seen is the increased need to give it a slap to seat on a closed bolt. However now that you explain what causes this I am just going to keep my mags and not worry about it. Thanks again for the post.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top