Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2015 2:35:09 PM EDT
D&H date code 04/09. I have others with same code with no issue. Binds going down and going up. Not smooth. They have magpul followers. What can I do with them?
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Use them at the range to practice malfunction drills.  
Or...take them apart and see if there's a burr or something that causing them to bind up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Take apart and look at follower for damage, spring for damage or debris / corrosion which may cause binding and then look at inside of mag body for dents burrs or etc. if none present, thoroughly clean out inside of mag body and spring with a lubricant and then reassemble and try again.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 12:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can't find the answer I would chuck the body and keep everything else.  Most likely the mags are out of spec.  Had similar experiences with a USGI contractor mags so I kept the base plate, spring and follower as spares.  I only use magpul followers on my USGI mags.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:45:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Opened the magazines up. To my untrained eye, the body looked good.

Should the magpul followers be able to slide up and down in the magazine without a spring?

I noticed my followers had a little extra material at where the injection site is at. Smoothed it out with a razor. Inside one of the magazine, saw a little bit of aluminum shaving/tag from a spotweld right where the mag starts to curve.

Both magazines passed the ruler test. These 2 mars must be on the tighter side of the "specs"
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I find D&H mags are all tight.  I have some that the tip of the billet rides on the inside of the mag.  Even though they are rubbing the mag, they all function perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the ruler test?
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
You could use some MagSlick in them. I break down any mag I get, new or used, and hose 'em down with this stuff.

MagSlick
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the ruler test?
View Quote

Compressing the spring, by pushing down on the follower with a ruler. Lets you feel how strong the spring is and how smooth the follower travels.

Fwiw, I used to be as big a D&H fan as there was. But got some bad ones in 2012 or 2013; some that failed the ruler test (sticky follower travel) and some that wouldn't seat, much like the early E-Landers. Both of those typically speak of dimensional problems. Probably 10-12 out of 70-80 had problems, but it made me give up on them and sold them to a dealer (yes, with full disclosure of their issues in my guns).

Only all-aluminum magazines I buy or own now are Okay/NHMTG. Been using them for 34-35 years, and have literally never had a failure with one other than from blatant physical damage. Still use some pmag & lancer, but for gi-style magazines, I'm monogamous to that one brand now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#9]
All my D&H have been fine.
Just recently purchased some new Okay's and they fail the ruler test-go figure.

Think I will stick to Lancer's from now on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd try 'em and see how they work.  

I have Pmags with tight followers and they work fine.  I would have never noticed if I didn't take stuff apart and play with it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 2:27:48 AM EDT
[#11]
try them and see how they work

I have a lot of D&H mags and have never had a mag related failure.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top