Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2015 1:46:42 AM EDT
Anyone know how to dye the Magpul Sand Pmags to Magpul FDE color? I can't seem to find anything.... sand mags still too new?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone know how to dye the Magpul Sand Pmags to Magpul FDE color? I can't seem to find anything.... sand mags still too new?
View Quote

I used rit dye dark brown

With a little of that and a quick dip, it got close, i left it in longer to get brown
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I would also like an answer to this question.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Rit does have recipes for a multitude of colors. There are a few that look FDEish.  The question is whether the colors in the guide, meant for white cotton, translate well to sand PMAGs.

Recipe guide: https://www.ritstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ColorRit_FINAL.pdf
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just krylon them?  Been working for years
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Dye will last a lot longer than krylon.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried the Camel color and they came out looking a rusty brown.  Gonna look at the Rit pdf and see what else I can come up with.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Im thinking maybe Tan or Taupe will get Sand Pmags to FDE. I will try whenever it is i get back home.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I was hoping there would be a nice thread on dyeing the sand mags/furniture by now,Im curious if anyone has done a coyote brown yet??
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was hoping there would be a nice thread on dyeing the sand mags/furniture by now,Im curious if anyone has done a coyote brown yet??
View Quote

I asked that one awhile back and failed to get an answer.  Rit could custom mix some colors to match Magpul FDE, OD, FG using Sand mags as the base and they would be swimming in orders....
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I am really hoping someone will post what Rit dye they are using to get FDE on sand color Pmags

Any help would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#11]
What's wrong with the mags that come from Magpul already in FDE?
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

magpul no longer makes them
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

,Edited.........comment removed........dpmmn

dpmmn.....not sure why my post was edited and his wasn't??????

His post is of absolute zero usefullness in a tech thread!
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Edited.........comment removed........dpmmn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just got a bunch of 40 rounders in Sand that were on sale so tagging this thread for info.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

With a little of that and a quick dip, it got close, i left it in longer to get brown
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. I tried the dark brown and ended up with a gray-ish color. Nowhere near FDE. Maybe I put it in for too long.

Just spent the last couple hours trying different things. Closest is a mix of Dark Brown and Sunshine Orange. But it needs a smidge more tan and a bit less orange tint.

Guess I'll stop off at the craft store and see what else I can dig up.

On a side note, having to do this testing via trial and error really pisses me off when I'm only trying to duplicate a factory color that should just be in production.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:27:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 2:10:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I asked that one awhile back and failed to get an answer.  Rit could custom mix some colors to match Magpul FDE, OD, FG using Sand mags as the base and they would be swimming in orders....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Initially, I thought that Magpul would have perfected and published the exact recipes to the most popular colors so that the burden wasn't left on their consumers to purchase and mess up a bunch of magazines.

I'm a big Magpul fan but some of their latest business decisions don't make a lot of sense to me.

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:12:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Initially, I thought that Magpul would have perfected and published the exact recipes to the most popular colors so that the burden wasn't left on their consumers to purchase and mess up a bunch of magazines.

I'm a big Magpul fan but some of their latest business decisions don't make a lot of sense to me.

View Quote

No because why would they ever want you to keep buying magazines! ;)

I would expect exactly the opposite. I would expect them NOT to tell anyone.

Link Posted: 11/13/2015 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, like all the colored Gen2s I've bought this year that are supposed to be out of production but are actually still in production. Greatest marketing scheme, ever!

Oh well, who cares. I can raid wifey's crafts supplies and make any color I want, whoo hoo!
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 1:59:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Hmmmm

Now that it's mentioned I haven't seen Gen 2 FDE mags anywhere locally in a while, just the Gen 3 Blacks and Sands. That said I was in a small out of the way LGS last week and they had a TONS of of the older like pre-Gen 2 20 rounders. The ones the 15 round limiters were made for. I scooped up a few of them for hunting mags!
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hmmmm

Now that it's mentioned I haven't seen Gen 2 FDE mags anywhere locally in a while, just the Gen 3 Blacks and Sands. That said I was in a small out of the way LGS last week and they had a TONS of of the older like pre-Gen 2 20 rounders. The ones the 15 round limiters were made for. I scooped up a few of them for hunting mags!
View Quote

The straight 20s?! Where?

About Magpul not supplying an FDE color recipe, I can't imagine the fine folks there sitting around experimenting with bottles of Rit dye to see what precise recipe is needed.  Has anyone here looked at the Rit color chart I linked earlier?  I suck at color identification, but I picked at least five candidates that look close (when compared to an online image of Magpul FDE furniture).

Yellow 1 #287
Yellow 1 #461
Brown 2 #370
Neutral 2 #315
Neutral 2 #595 Starfish
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:45:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hmmmm

Now that it's mentioned I haven't seen Gen 2 FDE mags anywhere locally in a while, just the Gen 3 Blacks and Sands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hmmmm

Now that it's mentioned I haven't seen Gen 2 FDE mags anywhere locally in a while, just the Gen 3 Blacks and Sands.

Nothing wrong with enjoying a good challenge. Dyeing PMAGs to an exact color, not my cup of tea.

Anyway, I typically only see black PMAGs locally as well. That said, I buy my colored PMAGs online and still see many vendors that have them in stock. For example there's an online vendor I buy from with real time inventory. The numbers as of 7:00p.m. 11/14/2015:

FDE window - 1,407
FDE w/o window - OOS

OD window - 16,331
OD w/o window - OOS

FOL window - 5,347
FOL w/o window - 4,767

Reference this posted by Magpul 4/22/2014 :

"To clarify, sometime before the end of the year we will:
- Discontinue Foliage Green in ALL products.
- Discontinue all non-Black colors (FDE, FOL, ODG) in the MAG570/571 GEN M2 MOE PMAGs. Basically, all of our magazines models will be available in Black only.

However, all those SKUs are still viable and in production at the moment to allow Consumers time to purchase what they need." - 4/22/2014

JUSTIN BEARD
Sales Manager
Magpul Industries Corp.
1-877-4MAGPUL

With regard to the vendor I mentioned above; here's a pic of a magazine I purchased from there on 8/28/2015, P/N #MAG570-FDE

Date code 15 with arrow pointing to 4. Wait a minute, that's not a left over from 2014...

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top