Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2015 4:28:37 PM EDT
I just bought six USGI mags at the range I go to for the princely sum of $30.  I have a bunch of anti-tilt followers and some Rustolium that matches the normal grey closely. I'm like a pig in shit
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Diamonds in the rough.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Diamonds in the rough.
View Quote

Yup and I've yet to have a GI mag with a magpul follower fail. Unless it gets crushed. But at $5 each, I'll just throw a crushed one away.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not buying anymore, must have over 125 GI mags at last count.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm only at 35. I'll stop around 100. I'd like to get a few Lancers too but not when I can buy three USGIs for one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm only at 35. I'll stop around 100. I'd like to get a few Lancers too but not when I can buy three USGIs for one.
View Quote

Like a disease.  I have no idea what I wanted so many for.   I have yet to use one that did not work.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember, we got the mag ban and I went nuts online before it went into effect. 10 here, 20 there.
Damn, I already had about 30 mags before I started.  Still today seeing  30 rd GIs pop up for 6-10 bucks, even in CO.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I remember, we got the mag ban and I went nuts online before it went into effect. 10 here, 20 there.
Damn, I already had about 30 mags before I started.  Still today seeing  30 rd GIs pop up for 6-10 bucks, even in CO.
View Quote

I own some PMAGs, they are good too, but I don't see anything super special that makes them worth twice the money.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Was nice when brand new DH black teflon mags could be bought for 7 bucks a piece.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Was nice when brand new DH black teflon mags could be bought for 7 bucks a piece.
View Quote
still can.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
still can.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
still can.

Link
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yup and I've yet to have a GI mag with a magpul follower fail. Unless it gets crushed. But at $5 each, I'll just throw a crushed one away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Diamonds in the rough.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Link
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
still can.

Link

$7.99 at Palmetto State Armory.  Two weeks ago they were $6.99 each on one of their "daily deals" emails.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I still by gi mags when I see them, but I've been trying to build my stash of pmag 40s now, it's the new standard imo.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I still by gi mags when I see them, but I've been trying to build my stash of pmag 40s now, it's the new standard imo.
View Quote

I have four of them and an older CMMG 40 with the metal follower. The CMMG mag is very cool but heavier than hell. It sits in an ammo can.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#16]
i try to buy new gun parts, including magazines, whenever possible, with a few exceptions

i buy mags online anyway
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I own some PMAGs, they are good too, but I don't see anything super special that makes them worth twice the money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me either, but, according the reputation you can drive over a Pmag and it will still function.  USGI metal mag ... nope.

I stocked up on mags recently.

AR15 30 round mags are cheaper, by half, than they were a decade ago. IMHO, anyone that does not have 100 USGI mags, NIW, sitting in the corner of the garage is making a mistake.

This glut of mags is going to cause some manufacturers to go under.  Others will find more profitable items to produce instead of mags.  This won;t last forever.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Magpul and Center Industries are going to do fine.

Everyone else?  Meh, we'll see.  Times are definitely tough for mag mfgs right now.

I have PLENTY of NHMTGs and Centers, and over a case of Pmags as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

$7.99 at Palmetto State Armory.  Two weeks ago they were $6.99 each on one of their "daily deals" emails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
still can.

Link

I picked up 200 of them last November for $5.99 each. Great deal. I have been picking up lightly used USGI mags locally for $4 each. I got Almost 50 used Colts
Off of Armslist for $2 each. This is the Golden Age of low mag prices. Buy Em Cheap and stack them deep.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#20]
PSA just had DH magazines on sale for $6 or $7 each.  Don't know if they're still on sale, or if they still have any left.

Nope, just checked.  Now $8 each.  They were $7 each last week, or week before.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:With all the cheap PMAGS, is anyone else buying beat up USGIs cheap
View Quote

Nope; buying brand-new ones cheap. Genuine NHMTG for only $9-something on closeout including magpul followers:
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I've gotten some that won't fit into a mag well, so I'm not sure it's always worth it when for an extra dollar you can get new D&H or a Pmag for 2 bucks more.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:With all the cheap PMAGS, is anyone else buying beat up USGIs cheap

Nope; buying brand-new ones cheap. Genuine NHMTG for only $9-something on closeout including magpul followers:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/LE2/IMG_29561_zps1snugnxj.jpg

you need to post a pic in this thread

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/516918_So_Who_Are_The_Real_Mag_Whores_In_Here_.html&page=28

Never thought of myself as qualifying for true "mag whore" status; I'm honored...

Now, "mag slut" or "mag floozy" perhaps...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I just bought ten Okay Ind. mags with green followers for $40.

Cheap USGI mags are everywhere right now. Short of a complete ban, they might as well be a nest egg for the next panic.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm a buyer at $3 to $4 used.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Cheap USGI mags are everywhere right now. Short of a complete ban, they might as well be a nest egg for the next panic.
View Quote
Where did you find them for that price?

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Local page. They are out there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#29]
You guys are killing me.   I have more mags than I can ever use....And now I'm looking for more.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought a bundle of five GI 30's at the fun show for $25, including 3 Colts. I know the Colts are no better than other good GI mags, but some folks will still pay a premium for them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I love used GI mags, buy them whenever I can and replace the followers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm a fan of the old aluminum 20 rounders.  Don't see them very often or cheap though.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#33]
During the Ban I was buying used thirties for $20 (1990s dollars).   I put green followers and new springs in them.  When the Ban expired in '04, I sold those mags to people in states with state bans.   $20 shipped I charged.   I could turn around and buy almost three brand new Okay thirties with that $20.

So everybody was a winner:   shooters in ban states got rebuilt state-legal mags, I expanded my stash vastly.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I think the ban soured me on used mags.

I don't buy used mags at all.

Hell I give away perfectly good mags and buy new ones just to have newer mags.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think the ban soured me on used mags.

I don't buy used mags at all.

Hell I give away perfectly good mags and buy new ones just to have newer mags.
View Quote

Help a disabled guy out, I'll take as many as you want to send me! :)
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#36]
I couldn't stand two metal mags rubbing together, let alone a hundred of them.  I have no problem buying Pmags.  Especially when the deals from DSG.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I couldn't stand two metal mags rubbing together, let alone a hundred of them...
View Quote

The sound they'd make rubbing together, worries about wear on the finish, or what specifically?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Local gun and pawn shops around my area put out beat up GI mags priced $15 to $20!  I'm not sure who's dumb enough to buy them, but I assume someone is.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#39]
I just bought 40 used USGI mags for 40 bucks. Some definately loved some like new. I've been buying a shit ton of em.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I just bought 40 used USGI mags for 40 bucks. Some definately loved some like new. I've been buying a shit ton of em.
View Quote

If I could find this deal, I'd buy 1,000.  The problem is that I don't have any decent pawn shops or gun stores located within a reasonable distance.  This limits me to online deals, and I have not seen used GI mags being sold for $3-5/per.

For that reason alone, I generally buy P-Mags as they tend to go on sale the most.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#41]
With the election coming up, buy as many mags an lower recievers as you can!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I picked up 200 of them last November for $5.99 each. Great deal. I have been picking up lightly used USGI mags locally for $4 each. I got Almost 50 used Colts
Off of Armslist for $2 each. This is the Golden Age of low mag prices. Buy Em Cheap and stack them deep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
still can.

Link

I bought a bunch when they were on sale at this price. I should of bought more and now i'm kicking myself.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#43]
I like the OKay magazines

I have some that look pretty beat up but work just fine

PMags are cool also but 6 dollars shipped seems to make the USGI work like new  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:33:29 AM EDT
[#44]
This thread has reminded me that there aren't any good deals on USGI mags in the EE, as a matter of fact, haven't been for awhile.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Sorry, 5 bucks a piece for mags that need new followers and paint is way over priced IMO

I paid $7.00 for new G2 Pmags and 12/$100.00 for Pmag G3 so would not pay more than $2ea for GI mags but hey, we all see things different
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 2:49:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sorry, 5 bucks a piece for mags that need new followers and paint is way over priced IMO

I paid $7.00 for new G2 Pmags and 12/$100.00 for Pmag G3 so would not pay more than $2ea for GI mags but hey, we all see things different
View Quote

Care to share where this is at?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm only at 35. I'll stop around 100. I'd like to get a few Lancers too but not when I can buy three USGIs for one,
View Quote
, I buy Lancers.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I used to see and buy these years ago for $3-$4 but I just don't see them around these days,I've been buying new Brownells/Centers for $6-$7 and new D&H mags instead.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#49]
USGI $5-6... PMAG $7-8... Buyers market. Simple solution, stock up on both.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Me either, but, according the reputation you can drive over a Pmag and it will still function.  USGI metal mag ... nope.

I stocked up on mags recently.

AR15 30 round mags are cheaper, by half, than they were a decade ago. IMHO, anyone that does not have 100 USGI mags, NIW, sitting in the corner of the garage is making a mistake.

This glut of mags is going to cause some manufacturers to go under.  Others will find more profitable items to produce instead of mags.  This won;t last forever.

TRG
View Quote

I don't believe any of the reputable manufacturers will be going out of business due to low magazine prices.  D&H for example, magazines are a small fraction of their business.  They are a large stamping and fabrication outfit.  

I agree 100% with the idea that people should be filling their closets with them at $7 a pop.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top