Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2015 6:08:37 PM EDT
Hello All,

I was recently reading about the 1940 USMC rifle field tests which resulted in the adoption of the M1 Garand Rifle by the USMC two years later.  I started comparing mean rounds between stoppages and came across a factoid that was shocking.  The clip fed M 1903A1 that served through two world wars is not it can be argued, as reliable as the current M4 carbine with USGI magazines.

Field use the following MBRS is expected using M855 in a standard M-4 carbine as an acceptable average.  

Original Black USGI approx 250-300 rnds
Revised Green follower USGI approx 600 rnds
USGI anti tilt tan follower1000 rnds

M1903A1 clip fed approx. 240 rnds, 4000 rounds between failures (figured based on 50 jams in 12000 rounds, 3 parts failures in 12000 rounds)

This information was developed using open source material, and "Hatcher's Book Of the Garand"

What's shocking is that even the much knocked aluminum USGI "Bad" magazine with the black follower was slightly more reliable than the fixed magazine and clips of the 1903A1 rifle.  I suspect part of it is shooter fatigue with a manually operated bolt action rifle.  It is interesting how perceptions of OK change over the years though, but period evaluations tend to stick.

Best Regards:

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#1]
interesting, like reading stuff like this.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top