Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KurtVF:are you 11B???Are you well seasoned???
View Quote

Fock 11Bs, I'm USMC 0311 and I disagree with you completely.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 1:46:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
Originally Posted By KurtVF:are you 11B???Are you well seasoned???

Don't worry, i threw 03XX in there too bro.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Figured I'd air my one complaint with the ets mags, the two I have don't drop free.  No big deal messing around on the range, but I discovered this during a seed shoot when I was trying to rapidly reload.  I had to yank them out while holding in the release.  They're definitely tough, I slammed one down on concrete and no damage, but not dropping free is a problem to me.  I had the hang up in three different manufacturer's lowers I tested them in. So these ones are relagated to playing only.  Anyone else have this issue?  I'll keep using them and see if it's a break in thing, but they won't see another class or seed shoot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#5]
ETS FTW. I dont have any yet, but I will
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ETSgroup:

Our mags should drop free from any lower that is in spec.  Since you had trouble in 3 lowers it sounds like we need to get you some new mags. Please contact our customer service or feel free to IM me to get this taken care of.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By chutr:
Figured I'd air my one complaint with the ets mags, the two I have don't drop free.  No big deal messing around on the range, but I discovered this during a seed shoot when I was trying to rapidly reload.  I had to yank them out while holding in the release.  They're definitely tough, I slammed one down on concrete and no damage, but not dropping free is a problem to me.  I had the hang up in three different manufacturer's lowers I tested them in. So these ones are relagated to playing only.  Anyone else have this issue?  I'll keep using them and see if it's a break in thing, but they won't see another class or seed shoot.

Our mags should drop free from any lower that is in spec.  Since you had trouble in 3 lowers it sounds like we need to get you some new mags. Please contact our customer service or feel free to IM me to get this taken care of.

Thanks, will do
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi ETSGroup,
I have used Pmag Gen M3 and ETS and Oberland Arms (which is copy of PMag) and Lancers L5 AMW and FAB Ultimag nad H&K Polymer mag, I have Mossberg MMR rifle.
every sort of magazine has its issues but especially when bolt is forward:

1. L5 sometimes didn't seat at all and fall out, sometimes seats properly but reloading with charging handle didn't put round in the chamber

2. H&K Polymer Mags needs always strong tap or it will not seat properly and for sure will fall out

3. Oberland Arms OA-Mag sometimes don't free drop and polymer is weak so I managed to cut a teeth which prevents from over seating

4. PMag Gen M3 will not seat properly if tip of the second round to feed is up (there is film on YT showing it and I check and can confirm that) and it is very easy to make that situation

only 3 of them: ETS, Oberland OA and FAB Ultimag ALWAYS seats properly when bolt is forward
What really suprise me, even when my 4 ETS mags a seated properly (you can't pull them away from magwell) they will not feed when reloading with charging handle if there is less then 10 rounds in magazine (no matter how hard you will tap them)
What is curious, with dummy rounds there is no problem (even one round in magazine will get loaded in to the chamber - maybe weight ?)
it is look like the spring give not enough tension on the follower
right know I have two options:

• to reverse bottom plate and follower on the spring, it will couse different alignment and hope increase tension

• to stretch the spring - here I do know effects if I go to far

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By lazinskip:
Hi ETSGroup,
I have used Pmag Gen M3 and ETS and Oberland Arms (which is copy of PMag) and Lancers L5 AMW and FAB Ultimag nad H&K Polymer mag, I have Mossberg MMR rifle.
every sort of magazine has its issues but especially when bolt is forward....
View Quote

Ever stop to think your mag problems are due to your gun?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

View All Quotes
Hi ETSGroup,

That's the first thing I thought too.

I'd recommend he try a known good g.i. mag and see how it does.  If it doesn't work with that, then something is wrong with it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:06:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazinskip] [#11]
Originally Posted By samuse:

I'd recommend he try a known good g.i. mag and see how it does.  If it doesn't work with that, then something is wrong with it.
View All Quotes
Hi ETSGroup,

Thanks for Your help guys, but what about Ultimag from FAB ? they work perfect, the only minus is they are not translucent (and I am just insane about having clear magazine :) )
Oberland Arms OA Mag works fine too (but they are not clear ) when bolt is forward
of course I will try my ETS mags on another rifle (another MMR and Stag T3) but it takes me while, and one other thing why dummy rounds are always work good ?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:10:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazinskip] [#12]

I think the first thing we should try is to replace your springs and see if they are the problem. Please IM me or contact our customer service and we will get some new springs on the way to you.
View Quote

thanks for Your replay, I have send You e-mail (from this forums email system - it is ok ?), but I am curious what could help spring  replacement ? What is wrong with those in my 4 mags right now ?
I found a "ruler rule" in this forum - and right now magazines a fully loaded - I will keep them this way a couple days
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#13]

What really suprise me, even when my 4 ETS mags a seated properly (you can't pull them away from magwell) they will not feed when reloading with charging handle if there is less then 10 rounds in magazine (no matter how hard you will tap them)

View Quote

This would concern me the most. Something is not right with the gun. using the charging handle with provide more than enough time for even the weakest spring to push up the next round before the bolt comes forward.

I think maybe your rounds are loaded past the normal OAL and are hanging up in the mag, you are short stroking the charging handle and the bolt isnt clearing the back of the mag before you let it run forward, or something on the gun is out of spec and the mags arent being held up high enough in the mag well.

For all of the top line magazines to not work properly in your gun points to something other than the mag. It would be the same as if you fired groups with winchester, federal, remington, pmc and black hills ammo in your gun and the best group you can make is 30" wide at 25 yards, would you say all the ammo is faulty?
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:08:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazinskip] [#14]
HI NYresq1,
rember it is only when bolt is forward,
Lancer has this problem - not always but it happens
look here:

https://youtu.be/wHO0ZTTd1Os

There is reloading the chamber, then click, then reloading, I saw that round was not chamber again, then tap, and reloading again

ETS has this problem very often - it cost me one stage during last match, I just can't load round in the chamber so I has to let go this run
H&K mag needs strong tap ather wise it will not seat properly and fall out, but if it seat it work very good
but Pmag, OA - mag and FAB Ultimag are always work perfect - always seat and lock easily and after reloading round is in the chamber
that is why, for now, I am not assuming that this is problem with rifle
it goes further - It could be related to brass - but this I will have to check once more this evening, then I will post te results
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#15]
HI NYresq1,
look here:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:43:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheQuadfather] [#16]
If you're having problems like that, then you have a gun problem.

In tens of thousands of rounds through ARs over the years I've had mag problems enough to count on one hand the number of malfunctions I've had.

NHMTGs with Magpul followers and Gen M2 Pmags are a known quantity.  It they don't work, something's fucky with your gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Hi ETSGroup,
every sort of magazine has its issues but especially when bolt is forward:

1. L5 sometimes didn't seat at all and fall out, sometimes seats properly but reloading with charging handle didn't put round in the chamber

2. H&K Polymer Mags needs always strong tap or it will not seat properly and for sure will fall out

3. Oberland Arms OA-Mag sometimes don't free drop and polymer is weak so I managed to cut a teeth which prevents from over seating

4. PMag Gen M3 will not seat properly if tip of the second round to feed is up (there is film on YT showing it and I check and can confirm that) and it is very easy to make that situation

only 3 of them: ETS, Oberland OA and FAB Ultimag ALWAYS seats properly when bolt is forward
What is curious, with dummy rounds there is no problem (even one round in magazine will get loaded in to the chamber - maybe weight ?)
it is look like the spring give not enough tension on the follower
right know I have two options:

• to reverse bottom plate and follower on the spring, it will couse different alignment and hope increase tension

• to stretch the spring - here I do know effects if I go to far

View Quote

If a crossed up M3 fails to lock, push up on the front of the mag,and rock it back. No need to remove it from the magwell, just apply pressure as described, locks every time for me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#18]

every sort of magazine has its issues
View Quote

This is what we call "a clue", it ain't the mags.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#19]
HI NYresq1,
look here:

There is reloading the chamber, then click, then reloading, I saw that round was not chamber again, then tap, and reloading again

ETS has this problem very often - it cost me one stage during last match, I just can't load round in the chamber so I has to let go this run
H&K mag needs strong tap ather wise it will not seat properly and fall out, but if it seat it work very good
but Pmag, OA - mag and FAB Ultimag are always work perfect - always seat and lock easily and after reloading round is in the chamber
that is why, for now, I am not assuming that this is problem with rifle
it goes further - It could be related to brass - but this I will have to check once more this evening, then I will post te results
View Quote

Hello Pawel,

After I watched your video, the bolt carrier is probably the cause the issues with the magazine seating.  It also may be the magazine latch needs adjustment.  The underside of the bolt carrier has two grooves and often the the groove depth and radius of the cut vary.  If the cut and the magazine lips are a mismatch extra force is sometimes needed to seat the magazine.  The ETS magazines have a noticeable difference in seating pressure between several bolts I tried but all seated with a good tap to the bottom.

Pawel for reference I have a USGI bolt carrier and when my bolt is forward a good tap/slap to the bottom of the ETS magazine is required to seat it.  The tap is normal and both military and private instructors at camp and classes all said to tap/slap the bottom of the magazine as part of the loading process.  I noticed in the video on YouTube you did not slap the magazine after you took it off the table, but it functioned normally after slapping and it seated. I've seen people many times in classes/matches fail to tap/slap and the best is what happened to you, and the worse the magazine fell out.  I can see if you did not have this problem with FAB & P-mags it would be an issue, but I have had P-mags that require a good slap to seat also.  Think of the tap/slap as an a good way to get good results.

Best Regards:
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:50:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Hi PicantinnyPete,
the problem that couses me to join this thread I was not able to put first round in the chamber when there are less then 7 rounds in ETS magazine and magazine was seated with bolt forward (no matter how hard and how many times I have taped them) - that's why I was consulting with Eddie from ETSgroup.
Another thing, I always use Barnaul amo from Russia with steel case zinc plated, by accident I have got rounds with brass case and with them there is no problem (I tried it many many times, one ETS magazine with Barnaul amo and problem occurs and then switch to another ETS magazine with 5 rounds with brass case problem disappear) - brass case is noticeable smoother than zinc plated case, (You can feel this during loading and unloading the magazine) and less force is needed to load and unload rounds.
Meanwhile I have red on this forum about "ruler rule" that one always should take new magazine, load it with 30 rounds and leave it for a few days before use them on field. Guess what, I left ETS mags for 48 hours fully loaded and I can't repeat the problem with any sort of rounds
Right now all of my magazines (Lancer, H&K, ETS, OA-mag, Ultimag, PMAG) are passing this procedure because I realized that I have never loaded them to full capacity (in Poland we have "Sporter League" something like 3gun matches in USA, and we have limit of max 10 rounds in magazine)
Situation (with bolt carrier cut and thicker lips of ETS mags) you have described, will lead to problems (according to Eddie from ETSgroup):

• "it can make it very difficult, or even impossible to seat the mag" - this isn't my problem, ETS mags are alway seats properly

• "it can push our feedlips together, just a little bit, and we have seen this cause problems in the last 5-10 rounds in the mag. The issue manifests itself as the bolt just flying over top of the round and not picking it up to feed"

so I am going to try ETS mags with real shooting on the range
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Pawel,

Good for you, it sounds like you have the situation in hand.  The Mossberg MMR rifles do seem to have large magazine wells and from time to time magazine issues do happen.  ETS magazines do seem to have occasional break in issues were something odd happens one time and doesn't repeat.  Ammunition does make a difference,  I have shot steel magazines that had no problem with Barnaul polymer 223, but it would spit out a round of Barnaul lacquered 223 or brass ammo when loading with the bolt back. Brass cased ammo has less friction than zinc plated ammo.

My advice though if you are shooting Barnaul zinc plated 223 is not to mix it with brass ammo in your MMR rifle, Pawel.  The MMR has a phosphate finish in the chamber and I have seen many times where Barnaul steel ammo lacquered/polymer/zinc was shot through a phosphate chamber and then when the shooter switched to brass, the rifle failed to eject the brass.  The brass tends to pick up the extra fouling steel case ammo leaves,  Melonited, and chromed chambers are less prone to this.

Best Wishes:
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:31:58 AM EDT
[#22]
PicatinnyPete,
thanks You very much for Your advise I didn't know that
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I just bought 10 of these mags with built in coupling system on a bomb deal from botach. They seem amazingly built and have had zero problems in my AR or Tavor. The only downside seems to be that you can't use the coupling system in conjunction with the Tavor. I will definitely order more soon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I just received 3 of the ETS coupling version.  For some reason, I had it set in my head I could connect 3 of them and have it be symmetric...  Looks like I should have gotten a 4th one too, lol.

I like them.  They look really nice and feels good.  I have a couple of MagPuls, which appears to be nice too.  No torture test though, since I'm a safe queen user.

Only thing I didn't like about my order from ETS is the box size for my 3 magazines....  The USPS box is too big for the magazines and got damaged in shipping.   USPS was nice enough to put some tape on it, otherwise, I would have lost a magazine or 2 through the tear/hole.  Damage was quite severe IMO.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Sorry about the box. USPS needs to do better at no destroying stuff. I picture Ace Ventura kicking it down the street....

I'm glad you like the mags. Thanks for your business.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By A96HondaAccordEX:
I just received 3 of the ETS coupling version.  For some reason, I had it set in my head I could connect 3 of them and have it be symmetric...  Looks like I should have gotten a 4th one too, lol.

I like them.  They look really nice and feels good.  I have a couple of MagPuls, which appears to be nice too.  No torture test though, since I'm a safe queen user.

Only thing I didn't like about my order from ETS is the box size for my 3 magazines....  The USPS box is too big for the magazines and got damaged in shipping.   USPS was nice enough to put some tape on it, otherwise, I would have lost a magazine or 2 through the tear/hole.  Damage was quite severe IMO.

Sorry about the box. USPS needs to do better at no destroying stuff. I picture Ace Ventura kicking it down the street....

I'm glad you like the mags. Thanks for your business.

Lots of problems with usps recently
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#27]
What's the best place to buy a singular magazine for testing? No one locally sells them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By joglee:
What's the best place to buy a singular magazine for testing? No one locally sells them.
View Quote

Primary arms
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By PicatinnyPete:

Hello,

Its a nice sunny day in Wharton NJ...
View Quote

Are you, or are you not, affiliated with Picatinny Arsenal, also in New Jersey?
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 7:12:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TC450] [#30]
Originally Posted By joglee:
View Quote

I just got two from botach 15 bucks for a ETS mag shipped.

Edit: They showed up today. I need to get a few more of the glock 31 rounds for my 9mm SBR build also.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I have several ETS magazines.

I did some indepent durability testing with 3 each Lancer L5AWM, PMAG M3, USGI (Brownell's), and ETS.    I was a dope,  and didn't think to take photos though
Tests involved the following:

• Loading to 30 rounds and inserting on a closed bolt - this to simulate diffculty of a tactical reload

• Dropping 5 times on the baseplate - I set up a piece of rain gutter, cut to 5' tall, and dropped the magazines down it to ensure they impacted on their bases - this to simulate dropping from the magazine well due to a poorly seated mag or during a combat reload

• Dropping 5 times on the feed lips with above set up - probably would never happen in real life, but just for fun

• Tossing down my asphalt-gravel road, about 10-15 yards per toss, 5 times - this to simulate passing/chucking a mag to a buddy

• Running mags over 5 times each with my 2015 mustang - this would probably never happen IRL

• To finish off, each mag then had 50 rounds fired through it as fast I could use my booger hook

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#32]
The results:
Seating on closed bolt

USGIs was unable to seat with 30 rounds, but downloaded to 28, no problem.  Lancers were unable to seat with and were very head to seat with 28, required an extremely hard slap.  PMAGs and ETS mags both seated easily with minimal force.  

Dropping on the baseplate:
The USGI mags had some denting of the baseplates and deformation of the baseplate keeper tabs, but no failures.  None of the other mags suffered any real damage.  

Dropping on the feedlips:
All three of the USGIs were deformed to the point of not working after 2 drops each.  I bent the lips back into shape and then they fed into the rifle, and stripped rounds by hand cycling, but were pretty rough.    
The PMAGs all suffered cracks - 1 after 4 drops and 2 after 3 drops.   Though they were cracked, they didn't spill any round, and still fed into the mag well and stripped rounds by hand cycling without issue.
The Lancers and the ETS survived without damage. No problems cycling by hand.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Tossing down gravel-asphalt road
None of the mags suffered any functional damage, but all of them looked pretty scuffed up afterward, but what would you expect?  All cycled rounds by hand.

u]Running over with my 'Stang:[/u]
This was done loaded, on a smooth concrete driveway with no pebbles, chips, cracks, etc.  The USGI mags suffered some damage.  One of them had a dent about halfway down and wouldn't let more than 15 rounds cycle, had to disassemble and dump the rest of the rounds out.   One had a similar defect and couldn't load more than 12 rounds.  Last one had similar damage, but could still load and cycle 23 rounds.  
The PMAGs, Lancers, and ETS weren't affected.

[u]Range testing:[/u]
USGI mags were pretty ****ed up due to dents as above, but they DID feed and fire just fine.  Bolt felt a little sluggish and rough, but fired.  Two of the three didn't drop free and had to be ripped free.
PMAGS functioned fine, but wouldn't drop free and to be ripped out.
Neither the Lancers nor the ETS had any problems.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:34:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AnnOakley] [#34]
Based on this I would rank them as follows:

1. ETS - ranked here due to resistance to damage, ease of seating on closed bolt, and function testing.  One downside is cost, is more expensive than Lancer

2. Lancer - ranked here due to resistance to damage and function testing.  Ranked below the ETS due to difficulty of seating on a closed bolt, really had to smack them hard to seat, and this makes me worry about inducing a bolt-over malf.

3. PMAG - ranked here due to smoothness, ability to seat on a closed bolt, and ability to function while damaged.  Did crack, so ranking below the other polymers

4. USGI - ranked last.  I would still not hesitate to use for every-day use, but ranked here due to damages during testing.  Again, these things are not likely to happen to the average user, but the point of the test was to test extreme conditions

There's also an AWESOME series on YouTube by TireIron called "Man vs Magazine" that basically does the same thing with video.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 1:46:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#35]
Originally Posted By AnnOakley:
Based on this I would rank them as follows:

1. ETS - ranked here due to resistance to damage, ease of seating on closed bolt, and function testing.  One downside is cost, is more expensive than Lancer

2. Lancer - ranked here due to resistance to damage and function testing.  Ranked below the ETS due to difficulty of seating on a closed bolt, really had to smack them hard to seat, and this makes me worry about inducing a bolt-over malf.

3. PMAG - ranked here due to smoothness, ability to seat on a closed bolt, and ability to function while damaged.  Did crack, so ranking below the other polymers

4. USGI - ranked last.  I would still not hesitate to use for every-day use, but ranked here due to damages during testing.  Again, these things are not likely to happen to the average user, but the point of the test was to test extreme conditions

5. There's also an AWESOME series on YouTube by TireIron called "Man vs Magazine" that basically does the same thing with video.

Hope that helps.

View Quote

For what it's worth, Lancer had to install a lengthened tab on their follower specifically to prohibit forcing in 31 rounds, per a military spec for them to be approved for .mil use (or so I've been told).  So the difficulties you experienced were actually by design due to government intervention, not Lancer. A somewhat ironic legacy spec, since the mags are clear, so it's never been easier to confirm if the correct round is actually loaded (unlike GI or PMags, where you load until the mag stops and assume that's 30, so in theory you could overload, and jam - hence the spec).  This is easily rectified by just filing down that tab.  Lancer posted instructions on how to do so somewhere.  That said, your review is based on out-of-box usage, not modified usage, so no complaints.  But the ding against Lancer probably deserves at least an asterisk.

Though, I do agree, the ETS mags are pretty phenominal.  The 2 I have are working great.  I look forward to their 20's.  If the price point for their 20's is on the same scale as typical (i.e. say $12 from discount suppliers), I'll be buying a bunch.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:41:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AnnOakley] [#36]
Yeah that's true.  But even with 28 rounds I had to SMACK the bottom HARD to seat it.  
In every other area, they are phenomenal.  
I just prefer the ETS.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AnnOakley:
Yeah that's true.  But even with 28 rounds I had to SMACK the bottom HARD to seat it.  
In every other area, they are phenomenal.  
I just prefer the ETS.
View Quote

I have all above mags and run Pmags and ETS as range drill mags.

I also have Lancers and windowed PMags G2&3 and 40 round G3 PMags for SD mags
By having different looking mags with a specific round of SD ammo I can see what ammo I want by the mag.
Lancers and 40 round (coupled so 80) G3 Pmags have Hornady 60gr TAP Urban while G3 PMag win 30s have 62 gr H TAP Barrier and g2 win 30 have Speer GD 64gr.

Here is the thing, while I run my PWS pistons 99% of the time I just did a check of all my full 30 round mags in 4 different DI ARs and my pistons. Every lancer seats fine with a normal insert push, no smack required with 30 rounds full up, Every mag with every gun every time.

I am flat out saying it ain't the Lancers its your gun cause no way all 6 lowers and all my lancers work 100% loaded to 30 and its the mag.

No way no how

That said I don't think it matters if you run Lancers, Pmags or ETS they are all GTG. I have no loyalty except price

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#38]
If you cant load Lancer or GI mags on a closed bolt it's the gun or user error.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#39]
These are great. I just bought a bunch. Cheaper Than dirt carries them at 4-5$ under MSRP and they are the cheese. I also like their Glock mags.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#40]
These are great. I just bought a bunch. Cheaper Than dirt carries them at 4-5$ under MSRP and they are the cheese. I also like their Glock mags.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By DelTonGuy:
ETS is good to go.
View Quote
This ^

Great mags.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I have about 20-25 ETS  mags and they work 100% in my 6 rifles.
They are a local company so I buy them when I can.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:05:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joglee] [#43]
Since when has Magpul's new polymer had a reputation for being more fragile than the old??

The old Pmags used to crack down the spine, I even saw a whole feedlip cracked off an old Gen 1 mag.  The new polymer is supposed to be tougher than the old.

As far as the Gen M3 mags...
View Quote
I did some tests and in every Gen M3 Pmag the spine cracked on the third drop.

Compare that to the ETS and 10 drops later it still looks new...outside of scuffed feed lips.

My one single ETS mag just will....not....die. I've tried, and short of blowing it up I doubt anything will kill it....maybe fire.

@ETSGroup have y'all made any modifications to the amount of material the mag catch uses? That was my one critique with my mag.

Unlike a lot of newer polymer mags the ETS uses a GI profile cutout, instead of the ramped design that gives more surface area for the mag catch.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Blain:
My own tests proved as much.  The new formula is more rigid and far more prone to larger cracks in the spine of the GII mags than the old softer formula.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=610837

Magpul didn't like my test and quickly used their influence to make the site staff close my thread.

They told me to mail in the mags so they could evaluate them.  The mags got delivered but were "lost" at the factory...

Something else you may want to consider is that a couple years back a serviceman did a torture test of various magazines and it was found that the GII with their larger follower fed more reliably after mud tests, etc than the GIII which has a smaller follower and I guess allowed more debri to get caught between the sides of the mag body and the follower.  I'll try to pull up the link later.

***UPDATE:  I have included reference to the aforementioned test below***

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/612074_Our_Military_Magazine_Torture_Test.html

Also a quote from the test's final analysis comparing the Gen II to the Gen III.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blain:
Since when has Magpul's new polymer had a reputation for being more fragile than the old??

The old Pmags used to crack down the spine, I even saw a whole feedlip cracked off an old Gen 1 mag.  The new polymer is supposed to be tougher than the old.

As far as the Gen M3 mags...
My own tests proved as much.  The new formula is more rigid and far more prone to larger cracks in the spine of the GII mags than the old softer formula.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=610837

Magpul didn't like my test and quickly used their influence to make the site staff close my thread.

They told me to mail in the mags so they could evaluate them.  The mags got delivered but were "lost" at the factory...

Something else you may want to consider is that a couple years back a serviceman did a torture test of various magazines and it was found that the GII with their larger follower fed more reliably after mud tests, etc than the GIII which has a smaller follower and I guess allowed more debri to get caught between the sides of the mag body and the follower.  I'll try to pull up the link later.

***UPDATE:  I have included reference to the aforementioned test below***

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/612074_Our_Military_Magazine_Torture_Test.html

Also a quote from the test's final analysis comparing the Gen II to the Gen III.

Final Evaluation:

The Magpul Gen2 Magazine was the unanimous winner after all the tests were said and done.
Collectivly the final determination was decided by these factors:

The Magpul Gen2 had the strength, it felt solid, it past the muddy water test with no
need for another rinse to function, it had smooth magwell operation for seating loaded
and unloaded, and it was easy to take apart and clean. There was no major issues concerning
the Magpul Gen2's function and reliability throughout the tests.
The only issue brought up by the soldier's was better drainage for water.

The Magpul Gen3:
This magazine had some trouble during the muddy water test where its older brother the Gen2 passed
with flying colors. The Gen3 had to be washed out multiple times so we could continue the testing.
All Soldier's liked the improved grip and texture. They liked the beefiness and toughness of
the Gen3, all Soldier's would of liked the Gen3 to stick with the longer follower the Gen2 had.
Given this test as a summary and Gen2 is cheaper, I run Gen2
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top