User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I wonder how many times we're going to see this copy-and-paste wall o' text before Magpul's PR division comes up with something new.
View Quote

Until Magpul gets tired of posting it. Don't hold your breath.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Well this was a fun read.  Still want to try some of the ETS mags.  Can't say that I have ever had an issue with any of my PMAGs, they have always been gtg.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:37:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magpul] [#4]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:54:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dpmmn] [#6]
      <Comment removed...........dpmmn>  
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:39:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dpmmn] [#7]

Originally Posted By YERDADDY:

View Quote

Bye Felica.
I've never had a problem with any of my Pmags. The price on them are too good for me honestly. They held up for our 6 week training course for Global Strike Command. I have wanted to test a ETS mag though.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:17:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dpmmn] [#8]

Originally Posted By YERDADDY:

View Quote

KBYE.

I will always be on the pmag bandwagon. Pmag's are GWOT proven, (as well as G.I.) which along with my own personal observations of the improvements over G.I. mags make pmag's my number 1, and USGI my number 2.

There is no better testing than a decade - long war.

We got your back Magpul.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:18:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#9]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:30:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#10]
Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:11:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut] [#11]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

There is no better testing than a decade - long war.

View Quote

Depends how the testing is set up and how you interpret the results.  The military did a complete evaluation of all the small arms systems about 5-7 years back.  (USGI mags were not felt to be a major problem, opposed to what you hear on hobby forums).  If something works it works, the gravity and air density, and temperatures etc. are no different in a combat zone than in the CONUS or can easily be simulated in a lab.  If you are aware of SPECIFIC testing of M16 magazines that happened during the wars I think it would be worthy of discussion on this forum, perhaps a whole new thread.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 3:36:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#15]
Originally Posted By ETSgroup:
I don't think there is anything wrong with USGI mags (except for the feed angle which they are changing). They work when they are not damaged or deformed. That said, if you can get a mag that feeds just as well, or better, and doesn't get damaged from hard use then it is a better option. That is not debatable.

Like I have said before, the USGI mag is a good mag, but there are better options. Our mags will not bend or crack at the feedlips. They will not get dented or crushed from a boot stepping on them. The bottom line is our mags will remain in like new working order long after the USGI mag has succumbed to damage from being in the field. Shooting a thousand, or even ten thousand rounds in a test lab or at a range will never even come close to duplicating the overall abuse a mag sees in combat.

And for all of the arguments that this mag, or that mag, has been in combat for 10 years so it must be the best....that is flawed logic. All that proves is that it worked, which is worth something. But to say that because a particular item has worked for the last 10 years so it must be the best and can not be improved upon is silly.
View Quote

If you could quote where I said it couldn't be improved upon that would be great.

Also, I think "this mag was tested through a 10 year war" is a better logic than "this brand new mag that hasn't been tested in combat is the best mag on the planet" sounds like a flawed sales pitch to me.

People can pick what they like for whatever reasons they want to, I pick mine off of track record and personal observation.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:56:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nameless_Hobo] [#17]
I've got a ton of Brownell's GI mags, Pmags, and a few Lancer mags, and so far the Lancers are my favorite, to be entirely honest. I dig the fact that they're thinner than the Pmag and have steel feedlips. The only one I've really had a problem with was some out of spec Brownell's mags that wouldn't drop free. That being said, I'd grab any of the three without a second thought if I needed to.  
I'd like to try the ETS mag without the coupler, last thing I need is another projection or knob on a magazine. Part of the reason I like Lancers and GIs are because they're thinner than the Pmags, which is the only complaint I can muster about Magpul's products.

Other than 40 round pmags, I haven't bought new mags in years.( Though, I'd probably buy some Magpul translucent mags, if they hit the market.)

Point of my rambling boils down to this:
Anything you get from a reputable company is going to work, these days. Don't treat magazines like the crown jewels, and throw them away when they get damaged, and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#18]
For us behind enemy lines, having a way to couple two 10 rounders by the baseplate would be handy.  Come out with something roughly the length of a 30 round, that holds 20 (with a mag change, of course) would be nice.  Something that worked with existing mags.

Just throwin' it out there, since some mfg's are lurking here.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:39:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#19]

My statement wasn't directed at you. I dind't meant for it to come across that way. There have been a few comments in this thread stating that because USGI mags and Pmags were used in GWOT that they are proven and better. I was simply pointing out that a given item having a proven track record simply means it's good and it works. And that is great. It only takes one improvement to make a better product. I wasn't trying to tell anyone that they should listen to a sales pitch and to take my word that our mag is the best ever. I will say this, our mag is more durable than a pmag or USGI mag, that is a fact and not debatable.

What I was trying to say was that we have reached a point in mags for the AR where with good geometry, good followers, and strict quality control, all well made mags feed incredibly reliably. So how do you make that better? You make a mag that is more durable so after more use it retains that super reliable feeding. That is all I am trying to say. I leave it up to you guys to try our mags, and others, and decide what you like best. I do think you can not state that a USGI mag or a Pmag is better than our mag if you don't even own one of our mags. I think it's fair to say that in your opinion that until our mag has a proven track record you will stick with USGI or Pmags, and that's cool. All I am asking is that you guys at least judge our mags with an open mind and give them a fair shake.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I don't think there is anything wrong with USGI mags (except for the feed angle which they are changing). They work when they are not damaged or deformed. That said, if you can get a mag that feeds just as well, or better, and doesn't get damaged from hard use then it is a better option. That is not debatable.

Like I have said before, the USGI mag is a good mag, but there are better options. Our mags will not bend or crack at the feedlips. They will not get dented or crushed from a boot stepping on them. The bottom line is our mags will remain in like new working order long after the USGI mag has succumbed to damage from being in the field. Shooting a thousand, or even ten thousand rounds in a test lab or at a range will never even come close to duplicating the overall abuse a mag sees in combat.

And for all of the arguments that this mag, or that mag, has been in combat for 10 years so it must be the best....that is flawed logic. All that proves is that it worked, which is worth something. But to say that because a particular item has worked for the last 10 years so it must be the best and can not be improved upon is silly.

If you could quote where I said it couldn't be improved upon that would be great.

Also, I think "this mag was tested through a 10 year war" is a better logic than "this brand new mag that hasn't been tested in combat is the best mag on the planet" sounds like a flawed sales pitch to me.

People can pick what they like for whatever reasons they want to, I pick mine off of track record and personal observation.

My statement wasn't directed at you. I dind't meant for it to come across that way. There have been a few comments in this thread stating that because USGI mags and Pmags were used in GWOT that they are proven and better. I was simply pointing out that a given item having a proven track record simply means it's good and it works. And that is great. It only takes one improvement to make a better product. I wasn't trying to tell anyone that they should listen to a sales pitch and to take my word that our mag is the best ever. I will say this, our mag is more durable than a pmag or USGI mag, that is a fact and not debatable.

What I was trying to say was that we have reached a point in mags for the AR where with good geometry, good followers, and strict quality control, all well made mags feed incredibly reliably. So how do you make that better? You make a mag that is more durable so after more use it retains that super reliable feeding. That is all I am trying to say. I leave it up to you guys to try our mags, and others, and decide what you like best. I do think you can not state that a USGI mag or a Pmag is better than our mag if you don't even own one of our mags. I think it's fair to say that in your opinion that until our mag has a proven track record you will stick with USGI or Pmags, and that's cool. All I am asking is that you guys at least judge our mags with an open mind and give them a fair shake.

Fair enough. I respect this answer.

I figured it had to be directed at me, as I hadn't seen anybody else reference the GWOT.

I agree that just because a mag successfully survived the GWOT doesn't mean it's the best mag to ever be created past, present, and future, but I feel that for myself, knowing a certain mag survived that real world use in harsh conditions for that span of time, with that much R&D and feedback from a war setting, is (besides personal observation) the best way for me to gage what I'm going to trust my life to.

I have no doubt you make a good mag, as your feedback on social media has been positive, and I won't push that to the side or ignore it. I just feel the ultimate test for a mag is war opposed to temp regulated drop tests and the works. (Which are also great tests to judge a mag don't get me wrong)
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Both are great mags. Buy the ones you like.  Don't the ones you don't.

Sheesh...
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Only 7 of my Pmags have been involved in the GWOT, I think I have 10 Centers that were in Afghan.  

I don't use any of those mags.  I use my new un-combat proven mags.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:36:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By samuse:
Only 7 of my Pmags have been involved in the GWOT, I think I have 10 Centers that were in Afghan.  

View Quote

Ok. Does that change anything I said? No. You can run Blackhawk mags for all I care (because I dont, at all.)

I use what I know works. Which is probably why I avoid boutique shit like the plague. (Not referencing you ETS, I don't think you guys are boutique)

I definitely wouldn't mind trying to put some abuse on some ETS mags at the range if they were a little bit cheaper though, to give them a thorough shot.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:42:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zackmars] [#23]

Ok. Does that change anything I said? No. You can run Blackhawk mags for all I care (because I dont, at all.)

I use what I know works. Which is probably why I avoid boutique shit like the plague. (Not referencing you ETS, I don't think you guys are boutique)

I definitely wouldn't mind trying to put some abuse on some ETS mags at the range if they were a little bit cheaper though, to give them a thorough shot.
View All Quotes

17$ here

14$ for non couple here

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:48:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By zackmars:

17$ here

14$ for non couple here

View All Quotes

17$ here

14$ for non couple here

Thanks Zack
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:51:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Thanks Zack
View All Quotes

17$ here

14$ for non couple here

Thanks Zack

No prob!

I love mine, though i haven't really beaten them up
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:57:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#26]

No prob!

View All Quotes

17$ here

14$ for non couple here

Thanks Zack

No prob!

Do it!!

I know a lot of us would be interested in seeing how it fares. I've seen a few ETS torture tests on YouTube, but sticking a mag in a jeeps cooling fan isn't necessarily the data I'd be looking for. (that's you IV8888)
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Shooting a thousand, or even ten thousand rounds in a test lab or at a range will never even come close to duplicating the overall abuse a mag sees in combat.

View Quote

How so??  There is not a single thing I can think of that a magazine can be exposed to in  a combat environment that can't be duplicated in a lab under better controlled conditions.  Everyone seems to think there is something magical, mysterious and unreal that happens in a combat zone.  If you are talking about a perimeter defense system I can see testing it in an actual combat zone, but a box with a spring in it isn't going to be any different from a testing lab than in a real situation.  Look at the MRAP, they beat IEDs in the lab, and guess what????  They defeat IEDs in the combat zone.  What is so special about GWOT?  USGI mags have been working well since Viet Nam,: Gulf 1, Panama, Grenada and probably a few I'm forgetting.......
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Kurt you are right that any situation a mag could encounter can be duplicated in a lab and scientifically tested. What I was saying is the real random card is what kind of abuse they see, with what frequency, and for what duration. Real word conditions, in any kind of testing, makes for so many variables that it becomes very difficult to test in a lab. If you want to isolate one aspect, such as impact testing, that is easy. But we know these mags see more than just impacts out in the field.

That said, that is why we have done everything we can think of to test our mags and make sure that the things they are likely to encounter won't hurt them. We have done impact testing and you won't break our mag from an impact. We have done crush testing with an 8000lb truck, it was unharmed. We have done thermal testing, they won't get soft from 200F heat, and they won't get brittle from -60F cold. We have exposed them to extended periods of high UV exposure to make sure our plastic won't become brittle, it doesn't. We exposed them to a ton of chemical to make sure they wouldn't be attacked, and none of the transportaional fluids, even jet fuel, or cleaners affected our mags. We also made our mags out of a material that is not hygroscopic so it won't matter if you are in a desert or a tropical jungle, it won't react with moisture.

We have done all of these things to make sure that when our mag does see combat, by God it's going to work.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KurtVF:
Shooting a thousand, or even ten thousand rounds in a test lab or at a range will never even come close to duplicating the overall abuse a mag sees in combat.

How so??  There is not a single thing I can think of that a magazine can be exposed to in  a combat environment that can't be duplicated in a lab under better controlled conditions.  Everyone seems to think there is something magical, mysterious and unreal that happens in a combat zone.  If you are talking about a perimeter defense system I can see testing it in an actual combat zone, but a box with a spring in it isn't going to be any different from a testing lab than in a real situation.  Look at the MRAP, they beat IEDs in the lab, and guess what????  They defeat IEDs in the combat zone.  What is so special about GWOT?  USGI mags have been working well since Viet Nam,: Gulf 1, Panama, Grenada and probably a few I'm forgetting.......

Kurt you are right that any situation a mag could encounter can be duplicated in a lab and scientifically tested. What I was saying is the real random card is what kind of abuse they see, with what frequency, and for what duration. Real word conditions, in any kind of testing, makes for so many variables that it becomes very difficult to test in a lab. If you want to isolate one aspect, such as impact testing, that is easy. But we know these mags see more than just impacts out in the field.

That said, that is why we have done everything we can think of to test our mags and make sure that the things they are likely to encounter won't hurt them. We have done impact testing and you won't break our mag from an impact. We have done crush testing with an 8000lb truck, it was unharmed. We have done thermal testing, they won't get soft from 200F heat, and they won't get brittle from -60F cold. We have exposed them to extended periods of high UV exposure to make sure our plastic won't become brittle, it doesn't. We exposed them to a ton of chemical to make sure they wouldn't be attacked, and none of the transportaional fluids, even jet fuel, or cleaners affected our mags. We also made our mags out of a material that is not hygroscopic so it won't matter if you are in a desert or a tropical jungle, it won't react with moisture.

We have done all of these things to make sure that when our mag does see combat, by God it's going to work.

+1
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#30]
So where could one get an ETS mag to try?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Never mind, saw the link.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:03:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magpul] [#32]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:59:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#33]
Indeed. Almost any condition CAN be lab tested... but what you test for is limited by experience and imagination, both of which are finite. You know that saying, "he'd find a way to break ball bearings in a rubber room!"?? Well, combat is the mother of all creativity when it come to things fucking up. There's an unimaginable number of variables at work here, which is likely why  magpuls combat results prove so much more valuable than their lab results.

Those variables are also why it's nearly impossible to design a mag that is perfect from day 1 and we tend to see revisions over the years to improve them. People have broke pmags, and people will break ETS mags. I have used the former to good effect and look forward to ordering some of the latter as soon as the glock mags come out. I don't know which mag is superior, but I do know that we should all be glad we have this kind of competition and quality in this industry/hobby.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I think you more or less agree with me.  

So lets see what a mag does in "combat"

1. Placed or carried in some type of pouch or container loaded with ammo.
2. Removed from said pouch or container and placed in a weapon.
3. be attached to weapon via magwell.  Fire and not fire
4. Remove from weapon either loaded, partly loaded, or empty and returned to container or dropped on ground.

The above 4 steps are not exactly complicated like say a Saturn V rocket  launch sequence........

Even the lowly regarded USGI mags survive decades and function in and out of combat environments....

Someone give me a SPECIFIC example of something about M16 magazines  learned from actual combat that couldn't or had not been figured out beforehand.....this will be easy with all the "combat" testing that has been done,.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Magpul:

I mention C Products Defense as it is their press release you cited as evidence. Those with previous dealings with C-Products can judge the source for themselves.

As for the hygroscopic reference in the press release, there are truth’s to the science but they are being twisted and misrepresented to meet the intent of the conclusion. The science behind this relationship of moisture absorption in polymer is defined in Flick's Law.

In short The rate of absorption is not that quick and happens over months, not hours, to reach the moisture content which would have a measurable  of an effect on the product. 2 weeks to 2 months of 100% nylon under water at elevated temperatures may drive the partial pressure differentials enough to vary the moisture content up to just 2%. The moisture content variables are well within in the noise of operating ranges of a PMag. For example almost all polymer frame guns are much more hygroscopic than a PMag and none have had issues over the last 30 years that forced them to develop a non hygroscopic solution. Again we are happy to go into more detail in a non public forum.

Both links you show are with early generation of PMags (2009) and the second with older colored magazine. This is the problem when you develop and constantly improve a product over many years and generations, everyone likes to reference old data as if it was relevant today. Processing and material changes several years ago eliminated these issues and are part of the current M2 (MOE) and M3 production. Our product improvement program is always ongoing and no doubt future PMags will continue improve on performance as polymer technology continues.

To answer your last question regarding the USMC. Over 200,000  MRev (NSN) PMags were purchased by USMC units during the height of combat operations and these were exceptionally popular by those in the field. Unfortunately due to the implementation of the IAR (HK416) with it's non standard magazine well (which was elongated on the front for compatibility with a SA80A2 blank firing magazine) the original PMag would not lock into the IARs magazine well causing a safety issue between systems. As such we supported the decision here and are currently in process to have the PMag M3 (which is IAR compatible) authorized.  

You still did not answer the question if you are affiliated in any way with Picatinny or a government entity.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Magpul:
Originally Posted By PicatinnyPete:
Hello,

Actually I heard about the incident before and the source was an arms company representative.  I read the article you cited and it also gives the source, Officer Frank Gaber of the Chicago PD so the incident can be verified.  It is a little surprising séeing you mention CPD Inc on post comparing ETS Group to PMAGS.

PMAG has become a generic term for polymer magazines many of which bare more than a passing resemblance to the PMAG.   I have seen instances though in the past were older versions of the PMAG did display this behavior.  This is one documented for instance.

PMAG failure
PMAG failure with pictures

Magpul has always stood behind their product,  I and my family use your magazines and accessories  No magazine is perfect though and they all have faults PMAG's included.  USGI Aluminum magazines have faults and I use them also.  I sèe no problem here an issue has been identified and is being addressed by Magpul.  It is a challenging task because of the material Nylon.  I think having the information out there is better to help people make informed decisions.

I do think it is legitimate to raise the question about the question of if the magazine material is Hydroscopic as it has an effect on the performance of the magazine.  I will ask the same question of ETS too since the topic of this thread also concerns them.  How hydroscopic is your polymer?

Regards:

P.S.  Did the USMC lift the ban on PMAGS?

I mention C Products Defense as it is their press release you cited as evidence. Those with previous dealings with C-Products can judge the source for themselves.

As for the hygroscopic reference in the press release, there are truth’s to the science but they are being twisted and misrepresented to meet the intent of the conclusion. The science behind this relationship of moisture absorption in polymer is defined in Flick's Law.

In short The rate of absorption is not that quick and happens over months, not hours, to reach the moisture content which would have a measurable  of an effect on the product. 2 weeks to 2 months of 100% nylon under water at elevated temperatures may drive the partial pressure differentials enough to vary the moisture content up to just 2%. The moisture content variables are well within in the noise of operating ranges of a PMag. For example almost all polymer frame guns are much more hygroscopic than a PMag and none have had issues over the last 30 years that forced them to develop a non hygroscopic solution. Again we are happy to go into more detail in a non public forum.

Both links you show are with early generation of PMags (2009) and the second with older colored magazine. This is the problem when you develop and constantly improve a product over many years and generations, everyone likes to reference old data as if it was relevant today. Processing and material changes several years ago eliminated these issues and are part of the current M2 (MOE) and M3 production. Our product improvement program is always ongoing and no doubt future PMags will continue improve on performance as polymer technology continues.

To answer your last question regarding the USMC. Over 200,000  MRev (NSN) PMags were purchased by USMC units during the height of combat operations and these were exceptionally popular by those in the field. Unfortunately due to the implementation of the IAR (HK416) with it's non standard magazine well (which was elongated on the front for compatibility with a SA80A2 blank firing magazine) the original PMag would not lock into the IARs magazine well causing a safety issue between systems. As such we supported the decision here and are currently in process to have the PMag M3 (which is IAR compatible) authorized.  

You still did not answer the question if you are affiliated in any way with Picatinny or a government entity.

Hello,

Its a nice sunny day in Wharton NJ, I'm off work, and I'm in a decent mood.  I read the barrage of posts regarding this and other posts while on vacation and thought a reply is in order.  Flicks law does apply to nylon, but it was neglected to mention that plastic packaging for generation 3 P-Mags have holes in it that allow the magazine to condition itself and absorb water vapor on the self.  Anyone who has looked at the date on the magazine often sees dates a few years old.  Plenty of time to absorb water vapor in high humidity areas.

I've also seen fully loaded generation 3 P-Mags exposed to 100% humidity not immersed in water expand enough that they go from freely ejecting to not ejecting, and the timeframe is much less than weeks with loaded Generation 3 P-Magazines in my experience.  The flip side is if the humidity is low and the P-Mag is exposed to high temperatures the effect is minimal and it freely ejects.  I think this is a concern for more people than just me,  consistent behavior in a magazine is a plus.

It's going on three years since the US Marines Corp pulled P-Mags.  I would have expected if the issues were fixed with the Generation 3 P-Mag approval should have been done/forthcoming.  To be fair the ETS magazine may have issues too under the same circumstances which will be tested soon.  I realize both ETS and Magpul magazines are extensively tested, but just because a test is passed don't mean it's valid or that its addressing a significant issue/problem.

Respectfully:
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:47:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#37]

4. Remove from weapon either loaded, partly loaded, or empty and returned to container or dropped on ground.

The above 4 steps are not exactly complicated like say a Saturn V rocket  launch sequence........

Even the lowly regarded USGI mags survive decades and function in and out of combat environments....

Someone give me a SPECIFIC example of something about M16 magazines  learned from actual combat that couldn't or had not been figured out beforehand.....this will be easy with all the "combat" testing that has been done,.
View All Quotes

I wonder if all the broken/fucked up mags our military has gone through became damaged from putting them in the pouch or being put back in a "container"?

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:02:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#38]
I'm no mag tester, and earned no CAR when I was an 0311, but it doesn't take much of an imagination to come up with some difficult to lab test stresses on a mag. Simple / dumb one: almost every place you can put your boots on the ground in the world will have a unique particulate composition. It's not only different for every place in the world, it's different at different times. So yeah, you can dump a mag in some sand and then test it in a lab, but is that sand exactly the same as sand in Kandahar? Baghdad? Morocco? Oregon dunes? No, they aren't and each one would have different physical properties and pose unique challenges to mag bodies/springs/followers/floor plates etc. Sometimes the differences won't make a functional difference at all, in other cases it will. Since it's impossible to have infinite varieties of sand/dirt in any lab, you need to put them out in the field to see how they work in the real world in circumstances both imaginable and unimaginable.

Product development history is littered with problematic products that worked great in a lab. It's not a knock on that process, or a reason to get rid of it, it's recognition that lab tests are limited by the human component and that in the field, chaos happens... regularly.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:32:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Magpul] [#39]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:27:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#40]
N/m.  : )

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

What is all this who are you stuff in a tech thread?  He could just as easily be a contractor, or a member who likes to change his flag around.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:  I wonder if all the fucked up mags our military has gone through became damaged from putting them in the pouch or being put back in a "container"

Since you put put afghan as your location I assume you're mil, what's your MOS?

What is all this who are you stuff in a tech thread?  He could just as easily be a contractor, or a member who likes to change his flag around.  

The idea that a magazine just rides around in a pouch, gets loaded and unloaded all day and nothing else, is pretty laughable, even to non military people
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:47:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#42]

The idea that a magazine just rides around in a pouch, gets loaded and unloaded all day and nothing else, is pretty laughable, even to non military people
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:  I wonder if all the fucked up mags our military has gone through became damaged from putting them in the pouch or being put back in a "container"

Word. I have to think even Kurt knows better deep down. You can't say what's going to happen to a mag. What about the mag in a weapon getting slammed on shit/exposed to God knows what? Not every mag is going from a pouch to the weapon to the dump pouch with the utmost care.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:52:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#43]
Not a double tap, but we can pretend it is since the issue is now resolved.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

I'm a 61J/61K.  I spend a fair amount of time in ugly places.  If non military people know how boring and mundane things are on actual deployments they would have a hard time believing it..  Sorry, but 99.9% 0f the time it isn't as exciting as in the movies.  What else do magazines do then?????
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#46]

I'm a 61J/61K.  I spend a fair amount of time in ugly places.  If non military people know how boring and mundane things are on actual deployments they would have a hard time believing it..  Sorry, but 99.9% 0f the time it isn't as exciting as in the movies.  What else do magazines do then?????
View All Quotes

So you never dropped a mag on a hard surface?

Never had dirt/sand get into a mag?

I know what a 61j/61k is
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#47]

In a perfect world your 4 steps are all a mag would need to do. But in reality other stuff happens to them. If those 4 steps were all mags ever saw in combat, they would never need to be replaced. I will give you a real word example of feedback we have gotten. Border patrol in a certain area are using some 7" barreled ARs. They use these really short ARs because they spend a lot of time getting in and out of their SUVs. They told us that they have broken several mags banging them on crap as they jump out of the SUV. They have dented/bent several GI mags and cracked a few polymer mags. Thus they were very excited when they started using our mags and after almost a year of beating on them they have yet to break one.

I know border patrol is not exactly a combat environment, but it's real world stuff like this that happens to mags during their service life. To think the only thing they do is sit in a pouch, get loaded, shoot, then put back in the pouch is just too simplistic.
View All Quotes

In a perfect world your 4 steps are all a mag would need to do. But in reality other stuff happens to them. If those 4 steps were all mags ever saw in combat, they would never need to be replaced. I will give you a real word example of feedback we have gotten. Border patrol in a certain area are using some 7" barreled ARs. They use these really short ARs because they spend a lot of time getting in and out of their SUVs. They told us that they have broken several mags banging them on crap as they jump out of the SUV. They have dented/bent several GI mags and cracked a few polymer mags. Thus they were very excited when they started using our mags and after almost a year of beating on them they have yet to break one.

I know border patrol is not exactly a combat environment, but it's real world stuff like this that happens to mags during their service life. To think the only thing they do is sit in a pouch, get loaded, shoot, then put back in the pouch is just too simplistic.

So in other words they didn't break when you tested them, and they didn't break in the real world scenario.  Thank you.  This is my point exactly

You don't need a war to test if magazines are durable enough to survive getting into and out of a vehicle.  You can do this test in your parking lot preferably in someone else's vehicle(s)
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

I have a strong feeling a seasoned 11B/03xx would disagree with your mag assessment.

Just because your job didn't put your gear through the wringer doesn't mean somebody else's didn't.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#49]

I have a strong feeling a seasoned 11B/03xx would disagree with your mag assessment.

Just because your job didn't put your gear through the wringer doesn't mean somebody else's didn't.
View All Quotes

are you 11B???Are you well seasoned???

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:57:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#50]
Relax Kurt. I'm just making a point.

Gear gets abused is the whole point here.

Both of these racks of EOTechs and Aimpoints, broken.

Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top