Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2015 4:02:39 PM EDT
Who is the current M-16/M-4 aluminum magazine supplier to US military?
Is the current issue magazine any different than ones from 20 years ago?
Are they available for sale to public?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

Okay Industries
Brownells
Colt (manufactured by Okay Industries)
Center Industries

Other than an updated follower design they are the same.

Brownells, Colt and Okay Industries sell retail.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 5:00:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Brownells has the current contract for the latest magazine design.  I believe the bodies are the same.  They use a different spring and Tan follower.  Brownells cannot sell the tan follower/spring combo, but they do sell their bodies with Magpul followers and standard springs.

Springs from the Tan follower mags are different from standard and are not compatible with standard followers.  The top round is on the left instead of the right side when the magazine is full.

On the USMC side I normally get issued OK magazines.  I have been issued PMags in the past, but they are no longer allowed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I read somewhere that Brownells is no longer supplying the militry with magazines.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I read somewhere that Brownells is no longer supplying the militry with magazines.
View Quote

Interesting, I hadn't heard that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new magazines coming this summer are made by Center Industries and it does have a new most and feed lip geometry, as well as a new follower.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Different from the current tan follower?  Where did you get this information?  Why would they convert from the tan follower after just adopting it?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The new magazines coming this summer are made by Center Industries and it does have a new most and feed lip geometry, as well as a new follower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A new what and feedlip geometry?

I knew they were changing the feedlips to a little more angle like a pmag.  Didn't know about the follower.

I heard these design changes are because of the M855A1 and high cyclic rate in the 10.3" guns.  

I don't think the changes are going to be noticeable in semi-auto 14.5-20" guns.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I knew they were changing the feedlips to a little more angle like a pmag.  Didn't know about the follower.

I heard these design changes are because of the M855A1 and high cyclic rate in the 10.3" guns.  

I don't think the changes are going to be noticeable in semi-auto 14.5-20" guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

New feed lip geometry and a higher front wall height. The follower is more like Magpul followers. Instead of that dry tan follower it's a slick grey follower.

Basically just get pmagss or lancers that already feature these things.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

New feed lip geometry and a higher front wall height. The follower is more like Magpul followers. Instead of that dry tan follower it's a slick grey follower.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just curious where you're getting this information as I have not heard this.  Source?

Will the new mags / followers use the updated spring design that was implemented with the current tan followers or the old "classic" spring design with the old green / black spring?  Or another all new design?

Will the body material be strengthened or updated in any way in regards to durability?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Okay Industries
Brownells
Center Industries

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay Industries
Brownells
Center Industries

What about C Products?? I heard they have an NSN....
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay Industries
Brownells
Center Industries

Did Larry ever cough up to which "military" he actually supplied..???

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay Industries
Brownells
Center Industries

Probably the same military that was supplied by these losers....

Sorry, I couldn't resist
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:17:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay Industries
Brownells
Center Industries

Possibly the Salvation Army??  The Cub Scouts? Maybe they were used in "The War on Poverty"

If Larry chaimed he was building parts for the International Space Station people here would be foolish enough to believe him, and send him more of their money.............
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Hi,

To answer the original posters' question the the new generation M-16 magazines will be made by Center Industries as a NISH corporation using a US Government Technical Data Package.  

Ability One Program NISH

I really don't see this changing much in to future, as a NIB-NISH is a preferred source under law.  Like Skilcraft pens the U.S. Goverment is supposed to buy its magazines Center Industries a Ability One NISH company if possible.  The US Army had to get a waiver to buy from Brownell's due to the demand for magazines when both Iraq and Afghanistan wars were going on at the same time.

You don't have to have an NSN  to sell to Government, but if you want to sell large quantities of magazines and have it issued through the supply system you do have to have an NSN for your product.  Units do do local purchasing though Bankcard using their own funds and have been known to purchase magazines, and other related supplies which would qualify as a government purchase.  I.E. units were purchasing bore snakes through Bankcard before it became a NSN item.  

Regards:
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#16]
^
Hmm.  Interesting.

I wonder if that has anything to do with Okay not doing NHMTG anymore and selling mags to the commercial market marked Okay?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:39:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hi,

To answer the original posters' question the the new generation M-16 magazines will be made by Center Industries as a NISH corporation using a US Government Technical Data Package.  

Ability One Program NISH

I really don't see this changing much in to future, as a NIB-NISH is a preferred source under law.  Like Skilcraft pens the U.S. Goverment is supposed to buy its magazines Center Industries a Ability One NISH company if possible.  The US Army had to get a waiver to buy from Brownell's due to the demand for magazines when both Iraq and Afghanistan wars were going on at the same time.

You don't have to have an NSN  to sell to Government, but if you want to sell large quantities of magazines and have it issued through the supply system you do have to have an NSN for your product.  Units do do local purchasing though Bankcard using their own funds and have been known to purchase magazines, and other related supplies which would qualify as a government purchase.  I.E. units were purchasing bore snakes through Bankcard before it became a NSN item.  

Regards:
View Quote

That's too bad.  Brownell's produced the finest USGI mags I have ever seen, they are still my favorite mags.  Their quality was a lot better than Center's.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted: That's too bad.  Brownell's produced the finest USGI mags I have ever seen, they are still my favorite mags.  Their quality was a lot better than Center's.  
View Quote

I used to really dislike Center mags because I thought they were trashy.  Until I used some.  They're fine.  They function and last just as well as Brownells and Okays IME.  They're not as pretty, but they're made by blind folks....
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:00:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's too bad.  Brownell's produced the finest USGI mags I have ever seen, they are still my favorite mags.  Their quality was a lot better than Center's.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi,

Ability One Program NISH

Regards:

Just a heads up. If you want to not have to worry about wear to the feed ramps from M855A1 Pmags and Tango-Down ARC Mk.2 mags are your best options until the new GI mags come out. Both have altered feed angles and place the bullet tip higher up than other mags. This is basically what the new GI mags are mimicking.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just a heads up. If you want to not have to worry about wear to the feed ramps from M855A1 Pmags and Tango-Down ARC Mk.2 mags are your best options until the new GI mags come out. Both have altered feed angles and place the bullet tip higher up than other mags. This is basically what the new GI mags are mimicking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi,

Ability One Program NISH

Regards:

I think unless you're shooting full auto, and a very high volume, of M855A1 it's not likely to be an issue.  There isn't even a current source for any of us non military to obtain M855A1, so at the moment it's not even likely to touch one of our guns.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think unless you're shooting full auto, and a very high volume, of M855A1 it's not likely to be an issue.  There isn't even a current source for any of us non military to obtain M855A1, so at the moment it's not even likely to touch one of our guns.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi,

Ability One Program NISH

Regards:

True, but the new gi mags are being changed to be more like arc mags...just aluminum.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

All Pmags or just the Gen M3?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure about the first gen pmags,  but second and third gen plays both have a higher feed angle that places the tip of the bullet about 2/3 of the way up the feed ramp.

Compare that to my tan follower gi mags that have the bullet tip striking the very bottom of the feed ramp, and often times riding the extended feed ramp built into the upper during high cyclic moments. This is why the new magazines coming later this year are designed mimmicking the feed angle of the PMAG and ARC mag(both have identical feed angles.

The one positive the ARC magazine has, is its follower has the first bullet on the same side as the tan followers.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:10:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Here's an example of what I meant. Granted this is done on my civilian rifle with M193, but it illustrates what I mean. This is when the bullet tip first comes into contact with the feed ramp.
Tan follower GI brownells.

That should add a visual to what I meant. Now this is with ball tip M193, the effect would be more exaggerated with say M855A1's tip and higher cyclic rate rifles will often catch the round slightly lower in the magazine.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:04:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Different from the current tan follower?  Where did you get this information?  Why would they convert from the tan follower after just adopting it?
View Quote

trouble feeding m855a1, iirc
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi,

Ability One Program NISH

Regards:

I would be curious how many people on this forum actually have this worry???  Can you buy M855A1 in your local gun store?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is amazing to some here that someone other than their favorite sponsors here can modify magazines and followers to compliment a new type of ammo.  I think the military is quite capable of fixing a 50 cent piece of plastic........
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It is amazing to some here that someone other than their favorite sponsors here can modify magazines and followers to compliment a new type of ammo.  I think the military is quite capable of fixing a 50 cent piece of plastic........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 50 cent piece of plastic?

Thats like, what,  2 million in government money
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

True, but the new gi mags are being changed to be more like arc mags...just aluminum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi,

Ability One Program NISH

Regards:

Hi,

Unless you have the proprietary technical data package for the new USGI magazine or a prototype magazine to compare to a ARC magazine for comparison all that is stated above is a guess, and not fact.

Regards:

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:39:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hi,

Unless you have the proprietary technical data package for the new USGI magazine or a prototype magazine to compare to a ARC magazine for comparison all that is stated above is a guess, and not fact.

Regards:

View Quote

Certainly, you are a wealth of knowledge with a truly extraordinary amount of information pertaining to military specification about magazines, their design, and their manufacture- which we all (or certainly myself) appreciate.  Only a true insider could have such great knowledge to share with us.  After reading many of your posts I must ask- which magazine manufacturer do you work for (or have previously worked for)?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Certainly, you are a wealth of knowledge with a truly extraordinary amount of information pertaining to military specification about magazines, their design, and their manufacture- which we all (or certainly myself) appreciate.  Only a true insider could have such great knowledge to share with us.  After reading many of your posts I must ask- which magazine manufacturer do you work for (or have previously worked for)?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi,

Regards:

Hmm,

Pray tell  how many of my posts have you really read, seriously?  Most of the information I stated on this thread is public domain, part is professional from my day job purchasing military parts and equipment.  

Regards:
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hi,

Regards:

View Quote

You're right, I should have said the Army is trying to mimic the Pmag.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I am curious if the "increased feed ramp wear" issue  ( from the M855A1 ) has Anything to do with changing the feed ramp angle.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:14:15 AM EDT
[#34]
What about D&H? Are they USGI?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:05:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What about D&H? Are they USGI?
View Quote

No!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#36]
My newest issue of mags came from Brownells according to the floor plate. They have brown followers.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Fellow enthusiasts, as a new member of this forum and to the AR world, thank you for all of your insights into the topic of magazines.  It has been very good, if not overwhelming.  Hope you won't mind if I ask for an opinion.  As a new member to the community and a new owner of a Bushmaster lower/S&W upper M4, what magazine have you had good, reliable success using everyday M193/M855 ammo?  Would it be a simple aluminum USGI with green follower or something more exotic.  Looking forward to your support on this topic as well.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Fellow enthusiasts, as a new member of this forum and to the AR world, thank you for all of your insights into the topic of magazines.  It has been very good, if not overwhelming.  Hope you won't mind if I ask for an opinion.  As a new member to the community and a new owner of a Bushmaster lower/S&W upper M4, what magazine have you had good, reliable success using everyday M193/M855 ammo?  Would it be a simple aluminum USGI with green follower or something more exotic.  Looking forward to your support on this topic as well.  Thank you.
View Quote

Magpul, lancer l5awm, usgi (any follower), hk polymer, troy, tango down, and ETS

Just stay away from promag and thermold, and you'll be fine
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use Gen M2 Magpul 30s, NHMTG/Colt/Okay 30s and 20s.  Magpul or tan followers in the 30s.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#40]
thanks very much for the suggestions.  heading to a local show this weekend, so will take this list with me.  appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It has been publicly acknowledged by those using M855A1 that the only magazine that can reliably run the ammunition without accelerated wear to the rifle is the PMag M3. M2s have a similar geometry in this regards but military evaluation is with the M3s only.

The issue was so pronounced it caused yet another redesign of the USGI to mimic the feed angle and presentation of the M3. The USGI will still suffer from a curved then straight section from the original design even with these changes.

View Quote

What about M855A1 causes accelerated wear to the rifle when using non M3's?

Not attempting a debate (God knows there's enough of that in the mag forum already ) Just wondering what causes it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It has been publicly acknowledged by those using M855A1 that the only magazine that can reliably run the ammunition without accelerated wear to the rifle is the PMag M3. M2s have a similar geometry in this regards but military evaluation is with the M3s only.

The issue was so pronounced it caused yet another redesign of the USGI to mimic the feed angle and presentation of the M3. The USGI will still suffer from a curved then straight section from the original design even with these changes.

View Quote

So would the Gen M2s feed the M855A1 just the same?
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Not attempting a debate (God knows there's enough of that in the mag forum already ) Just wondering what causes it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The hardened tip of the M855A1 tears up the aluminum M4 feed ramp. Pmags feed at a different angle preventing the M855A1 from impacting the aluminum upper and guides the rounds so they only contact the steel feed ramp of the barrel extension.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The hardened tip of the M855A1 tears up the aluminum M4 feed ramp. Pmags feed at a different angle preventing the M855A1 from impacting the aluminum upper and guides the rounds so they only contact the steel feed ramp of the barrel extension.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhhhh that makes sense. Thanks brotha
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

If only we could get the Army to adopt the M3. By far the best magazine I have ever used guys.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#47]
UPDATE: picked up 5 PMAG, Gen2 today for $10 each.  Also 10 Brownell's with tan followers for $7 each.  This ought to allow me to enjoy some of this fun, too.  Thank you again.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#48]
People with BCM lowers would disagree.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
People with BCM lowers would disagree.
View Quote

Unless you're not scared to file it and make 'em fit.  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top