Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2015 1:52:35 AM EDT
I'm not exactly sure where this post should go but I'll start it here since it's magazine related.

I've got some PPS43 magazines for 7.62 tok conversion that I disassembled and threw in the dishwasher to clean the cosmoline off. Not sure why I thought it was a good idea at the time, but it wasn't. I think the magazines were blued and it came off most of them.

After I pulled them out and realized what happened I immediately sprayed all the parts down with WD-40 to try and save them before reassembling.

Can these mags be saved? If so, what's the process? I searched and found a little information on refinishing GI mags with different products but nothing I came across dealt with rust.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:12:53 AM EDT
[#1]
http://m.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

Remove the rust via the directions then coat the magazines. I would recommend cerakote to protect the metal.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:38:55 AM EDT
[#2]

I've used the dishwasher to remove cosmo many times,
and I've never had that happen.

Sad deal.

Be sure to post the after-restoration pics.

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 5:07:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I will look into the Electrolytic rust removal and probably test out a couple different refinishing methods.

Is reblueing an option? I figured that may be the easiest way to address protecting the springs and inside of the magazine.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sad deal.

View Quote

I think the culprit may have been the automatic rinse aid dispenser. It's filled with lemishine and I didn't think to turn it off.

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Rebluing is an option but is far more difficult than the spray methods
I eould recommend parkerizing before rebluing.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Second that on having them parkerized.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#7]
If whatever was on them came off in the dishwasher it wasn't giving you great protection to begin with .

As a start I would run the another couple of cycles
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Grab some navel jelly and it will be easy to restore those.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Grab some navel jelly and it will be easy to restore those.
View Quote

Thanks for reminding me about that. I have heard of it multiple times in random threads but never used any myself.

I would like to keep the cost and time required as low as possible for this little project because I have way too much other stuff going on.

I would really like to try the electrolytic method because it looks like fun but I'll probably save that for another project if I can get by with less. Hopefully naval jelly, alcohol or carb cleaner degreaser and a couple coats of engine enamel or grill paint will do the trick. I've got a PC kit that I never used so I might give that a try on a couple as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Have 'em parkerized.  Bluing does not offer any protection against anything. It's just a coloring.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Do NOT parkerize them.

The Follower will drag, and FTF will surely happen.

M9 mags were notorious for this, the plastic followers did not help.

Re blue and use good oil. MP40 mags were not parked, and they work 4.0
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#12]
thats art!
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do NOT parkerize them.

The Follower will drag, and FTF will surely happen.

M9 mags were notorious for this, the plastic followers did not help.

Re blue and use good oil. MP40 mags were not parked, and they work 4.0
View Quote

send em to robar and get em finished in a poly t2 coating
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
thats art!
View Quote

lol, I'll just clear coat them and call it good then
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

thats art!

haha sounds good to me!

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#16]
If those were mine I'd clean them up (try naval jelly, as suggested), then probably get them cerakoted.

Let us know how it all turns out, OP.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Navel jelly will remove the rust but will be hard to reach the inside surfaces.  I'd try submerging them in one of the commercial liquid rust removers.

I've never used it myself but others have used this stuff for refinishing mags.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/paint-finishes/bake-on-aerosol-paints/teflon-moly-oven-cure-gun-finish-prod1145.aspx
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Electrolytic rust removal-gets is all, and then Cerakote--protects AND won't jam the followers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sad deal.

View Quote

Makes me wonder if OP put some lemi-shine in the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad deal.

I think that's what it was. The dishwasher has an auto dispenser for rinse aid or something like that we normally keep lemi-shine in. I forgot about it when I ran the cycle.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think that's what it was. The dishwasher has an auto dispenser for rinse aid or something like that we normally keep lemi-shine in. I forgot about it when I ran the cycle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad deal.

That will do it.  Live & learn.

Keep us updated as to which route you take in their restoration.

AAR pics would be great.

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Soak them in apple cider vinegar for a couple of days and then park them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep, someone used to tell em that everytime you cut a corner, you make 2 more. That was definitely the case here. Side-note, I now know why people put lemi-shine in when they wet tumble.

The mags are currently on their way to RMW Xtreme to get milled to work with the mag adapter and as soon as they get back I'm going to get started on them. I got a couple quotes for getting them coated with some of the different methods but they all ran around $20/mag. They have 3 packs of mags for 26.99 so for that price I could just replace them. I plan to try out a couple of the less expensive solutions just to see what happens and how they turn out.

Ron is also reaming a 8" 22tcm barrel for me to try out with the mags and block.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#24]
If it were me i would strip them to bare metal and coat with H series Cerakote, that paint will outlast you.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Go to you tube and type in plain old regular white vinegar as a rust remover. Its cheap and the entire mag can be submerged in a plastic Tupperware container. Use a baby bottle brush to scrub the inside of the mag body. It rinses off with hot water and you don't have to worry about putting your hands in toxic crap. finish them off with a very light coat of self etching primer and then match the final color to your upper with rattle can paint. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#26]
For those of you guys saying to CeraKote them.... doesn't the inside of the mag still need protection as well ?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, I decided to go cheap and I'm pleasantly surprised at the results so far.

I just cleaned the rust off with white vinegar and sprayed the outside of the mags with a cheap can of what I thought was flat black but was actually semi-gloss. Then I hit the internals with a rust prevention paint.

I left everything to dry overnight so I will post some pictures when I get home and reassemble everything. I have no idea what the durability will be like but they look ok and I've only got about $10 into the 9 mags, even though I could have easily just used stuff I already had.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Where is my picture? :) I want to see!

Quoted:
Well, I decided to go cheap and I'm pleasantly surprised at the results so far.

I just cleaned the rust off with white vinegar and sprayed the outside of the mags with a cheap can of what I thought was flat black but was actually semi-gloss. Then I hit the internals with a rust prevention paint.

I left everything to dry overnight so I will post some pictures when I get home and reassemble everything. I have no idea what the durability will be like but they look ok and I've only got about $10 into the 9 mags, even though I could have easily just used stuff I already had.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry for the picture quality, it's 115 in my garage so I was in a hurry to get done.

Like I said, not the greatest refinish job and I couldn't really do much with the insides so I just sprayed some wd-40 in there during reassembly, but hey for $10 I can't complain.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice!

If it scratches off maybe try a high temp engine paint or grill paint. I understand that is what is used on red army guns today.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:45:22 AM EDT
[#32]
For future reference, if you have anything with surface rust like that, soak them for a couple days in Evaporust. It uses chelation to chemically bind with the rust and remove it, and doesn't affect the solid metal underneath, but it works very slowly. I've been using it on sheet metal on a car restoration. Beware though, it will remove bluing since bluing is just a controlled form of rust.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top