Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2015 3:02:33 AM EDT
Do we have a "shootout" comparison yet between the most well known and regarded mags yet? Lancer L5AWM (mostly considered the KING of mags) VS Pmag G3 (the economical choice), vs ETS (new kid on the block with polymer claims of better than MP), vs Black Hawk (C-products?) SS steel mags, vs D&H heat treated aluminum mags?
I know there was a "unofficial mag test" (which was VERY thorough) done a while ago, but that was years ago and there are new "top spot" contenders now.
Are there any tests/comparo's of these mags out in the wild?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Do we have a "shootout" comparison yet between the most well known and regarded mags yet? Lancer L5AWM (mostly considered the KING of mags) VS Pmag G3 (the economical choice), vs ETS (new kid on the block with polymer claims of better than MP), vs Black Hawk (C-products?) SS steel mags, vs D&H heat treated aluminum mags?
I know there was a "unofficial mag test" (which was VERY thorough) done a while ago, but that was years ago and there are new "top spot" contenders now.
View Quote

USGI mags have been battlefield tested for about 55 years. Don't know about the others..

You would have to decide what the criteria is for the testing. Feed reliability under foreign matter contamination? Life expectancy under heavy use? ability to withstand abuse and still function? What would be tested, and to what end.

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

USGI mags have been battlefield tested for about 55 years. Don't know about the others..

You would have to decide what the criteria is for the testing. Feed reliability under foreign matter contamination? Life expectancy under heavy use? ability to withstand abuse and still function? What would be tested, and to what end.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think many would consider the Okay Industries magazine the "King".

I would guess they have produced at least 10,000 mags for very mag Lancer has produced.

Okay Industries magazines have been used in every combat senario this country has been involved in for DECADES!

How many have the others been used in?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've found MP Gen 3 to be pretty fragile in testing. They did hold up fine to being run over multiple times and chucked down my gravel street.  However, of 3 mags tested (3 black Gen M3 30's), all three had cracked spines after 1 drop, fully loaded from shoulder height.  After 3 drops, these cracks elongated to about 1.5 inches each, and all three mags were unserviceable, couldn't hold more than 10-12 rounds each.  No sense testing feed lip strength, since the mags were shot, non-functional.   I haven't tried the new Sand models yet, though.  Those are supposed to be markedly tougher.  Magpul and the PMAG do have a good history, used by troops overseas.  

I beat the shit out of the one (keep in mind SMALL sample size) L5 AWM I own.  No damage, at all, with dropping on lips, spines, running over, being tossed down my street.  The thing is a TOUGH SOB.  Other tests have confirmed this: the older SGN article by Dave F (from this site), and the famous "Unscientific Plastic Mag Testing" thread.  The one issue I have with it is that it doesn't like to seat on a closed bolt with 30 rounds though, so I keep it loaded with 28 and in my "SHTF" mag/ammo cache (locked 50 cal can full of loaded mags).  Wouldn't have any hesitation to use it for serious situations.

ETS sent me a free 30 rounder for testing.  So far, this has been my absolute favorite mag.  The thing is TOUGH.  I've dropped it, fully loaded, onto its sides, base, and feedlips, in excess of 20 times each. I've run it over with my 2015 Ford Mustang and my 2010 Ford Escape, several times each, it's held up fine. I chucked it down my street several times.  Each test, the top two rounds usually pop out, but are easily put back in. There's some noticeable scuffing to the mag, but no cracks, at all, still holds its full 30 rounds and no issues with mag dumps at the range.  Best of all, it seats easily on a closed bolt and drops free.  These guys are the new kids on the block, but it seems like they've done their homework.  So far, I'm pleased with the mag...enough so to buy an additional 9 - 5 to keep on my plate carrier, and 4 to keep in my assault pack attached to my carrier.  

Haven't tried the D&H mags, but I have 24 Brownell's USGI mags.  Put a Ranger or L-plate on the bottom to cushion the base of the mag, and they're GTG.  The feed lips do bend pretty bad after 3 drops, loaded, from shoudler height.  You could bend em back with pliers I suppose.  They did fine with being run over, no damage, just scraping of the finish.  

I would probably go with ETS and Lancer given the above.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:02:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've found MP Gen 3 to be pretty fragile in testing. They did hold up fine to being run over multiple times and chucked down my gravel street.  However, of 3 mags tested (3 black Gen M3 30's), all three had cracked spines after 1 drop, fully loaded from shoulder height.  After 3 drops, these cracks elongated to about 1.5 inches each, and all three mags were unserviceable, couldn't hold more than 10-12 rounds each.  No sense testing feed lip strength, since the mags were shot, non-functional.   I haven't tried the new Sand models yet, though.  Those are supposed to be markedly tougher.  Magpul and the PMAG do have a good history, used by troops overseas.  

I beat the shit out of the one (keep in mind SMALL sample size) L5 AWM I own.  No damage, at all, with dropping on lips, spines, running over, being tossed down my street.  The thing is a TOUGH SOB.  Other tests have confirmed this: the older SGN article by Dave F (from this site), and the famous "Unscientific Plastic Mag Testing" thread.  The one issue I have with it is that it doesn't like to seat on a closed bolt with 30 rounds though, so I keep it loaded with 28 and in my "SHTF" mag/ammo cache (locked 50 cal can full of loaded mags).  Wouldn't have any hesitation to use it for serious situations.

ETS sent me a free 30 rounder for testing.  So far, this has been my absolute favorite mag.  The thing is TOUGH.  I've dropped it, fully loaded, onto its sides, base, and feedlips, in excess of 20 times each. I've run it over with my 2015 Ford Mustang and my 2010 Ford Escape, several times each, it's held up fine. I chucked it down my street several times.  Each test, the top two rounds usually pop out, but are easily put back in. There's some noticeable scuffing to the mag, but no cracks, at all, still holds its full 30 rounds and no issues with mag dumps at the range.  Best of all, it seats easily on a closed bolt and drops free.  These guys are the new kids on the block, but it seems like they've done their homework.  So far, I'm pleased with the mag...enough so to buy an additional 9 - 5 to keep on my plate carrier, and 4 to keep in my assault pack attached to my carrier.  

Haven't tried the D&H mags, but I have 24 Brownell's USGI mags.  Put a Ranger or L-plate on the bottom to cushion the base of the mag, and they're GTG.  The feed lips do bend pretty bad after 3 drops, loaded, from shoudler height.  You could bend em back with pliers I suppose.  They did fine with being run over, no damage, just scraping of the finish.  

View Quote

So would you rate the L5AWM or the ETS as the "winner"?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd say they're even imo.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't had any issue seating my Lancer's with a closed bolt with 30 rounds. I only have three though, so small sample size, and the lowers may be different enough to cause it. I have tried mine in both my S&W lower that I built for my 6.8 ARP, and for the ARP .223Wylde with the PSA lower.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe its my lower?  anderson arms?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:04:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

From your original post in another thread, your "testing" involved dropping a M3 PMag, observing some visual damage and writing a post about it before attempting to fire the magazine out of a rifle.

Not to be rude but this hardly rates as testing in any sense of the imagination.

As posted before, the primary goal of the PMag is reliability under all conditions. It is our view that this reliability comes from specific geometry that is consistently maintained by high "tensile" strength material. Other magazine manufactures gain "impact" strength by making their material softer (losing tensile strength). On impact resistance the PMag M3 already exceeds the venerable USGI by several fold in all tests and is consistently more reliable, especially after the magazines have been combat deployed for a few weeks.

Our magazine testing involves repeatable/documentable tests, controls, large sample size, live fire testing and qualified analysis of the results by a team of mechanical engineers. We supplement this with documented feedback fielding millions of PMags in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan of the last 8 years.

The primary reason we released the PMag M3 vs USGI test videos is to highlight that the most important thing a magazine needs to to is function flawlessly during firing, not to be a substitute for a hammer. Even these tests are listed as unscientific as they lack multiple samples but the results are indicative of the in house testing we do with jigs and multiple samples.

https://youtu.be/jQxYXTYohPI?list=PLLLtq9scclwKVYVSGUsrOsprdHo_TKJt7

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've found MP Gen 3 to be pretty fragile in testing.

From your original post in another thread, your "testing" involved dropping a M3 PMag, observing some visual damage and writing a post about it before attempting to fire the magazine out of a rifle.

Not to be rude but this hardly rates as testing in any sense of the imagination.

As posted before, the primary goal of the PMag is reliability under all conditions. It is our view that this reliability comes from specific geometry that is consistently maintained by high "tensile" strength material. Other magazine manufactures gain "impact" strength by making their material softer (losing tensile strength). On impact resistance the PMag M3 already exceeds the venerable USGI by several fold in all tests and is consistently more reliable, especially after the magazines have been combat deployed for a few weeks.

Our magazine testing involves repeatable/documentable tests, controls, large sample size, live fire testing and qualified analysis of the results by a team of mechanical engineers. We supplement this with documented feedback fielding millions of PMags in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan of the last 8 years.

The primary reason we released the PMag M3 vs USGI test videos is to highlight that the most important thing a magazine needs to to is function flawlessly during firing, not to be a substitute for a hammer. Even these tests are listed as unscientific as they lack multiple samples but the results are indicative of the in house testing we do with jigs and multiple samples.

It's nice that it functions when it cracks.

I'd rather have one that doesn't crack to begin with under the same circumstances, and function normally as well.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, MagPul,  for many of us,  range access and ammo are the limiting factors.  My range is an hour away and my budget is tight....not all of as can afford multiple mag dumps, much less through an HK weapon
I willbe going to the range tomorrow and Im bringing the cracked M3, my abused lancer, and my abused ets.  I have 30 rounds set aside to dump through each mag.  

As far as my experiments not being testing, well, I disagree.  Maybe PMAGS function fine with cracks, but I would, and will, spend my money on mags that won't crack or deform in the first place.    I don't have an endless budget so my mags need to last as long as possible.

Also, no ones being disingenuous.  I'm not affiliated with any manufacturers and all my mags were either bought or received as samples.
The PMAG did well in Iraq Veteran 8888's tests, but so did some others:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SfO5SN_VUl4
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I am a shooter (as compared to a gun person). I use M4s in CQ training on average twice a week+. I do have 5/10/20 round mags for sighting in new optics but for the last 4 years have been running 7 G2 Pmags in all my CQ training.
I drop them, drag them and everything in between and that includes from second story drops (empty mag changes)they get dropped on concrete, clay, sand, grass dry and wet and often get stepped on.
I have accidentally dropped full mags on various surfaces although never from shoulder height or ever intentionally so they land straight down but then I also do not put them on a berm and fired various caliber rifles into them or set them on a barbeque or for 10 minutes in a microwave oven or in a variety of circumstance I have never heard anyone ever having in even abnormal mag use.
Those 7 mags (I have maybe 150 mags) have at least 3000 rounds through each of them and not once in anyway have they ever not functioned perfectly.

I, again with so many unopened mags, decided to start using G3 Pmags for training so wiped off the G2s took them to the local gun show (I have table at this one nearby show as part of my hobby) and put 3 for $25.00 on them next to the last of my unopened new G2 mags for $10.00 each. I sold the used 6 (I had kept one for an old M4 I don't use) mags as well as the new G2 I put out.

I have had GI mags fail in various ways although rarely. I have had GI mags dent on dropping although easily fixed.
Pmags have served me better. I have no loyalty to anyone but 100% satisfaction is hard to beat and one guy using a non scientific test that in 30 years I have never done under any extreme condition and making that the deciding factor in what is better has to be either really stupid, pathetic or a bad joke.

Plus, name another company that has put their money where their mouth is when it comes to doing what is right when liberals attack our rights.

Magpul products work extremely well but I also have Lancer mags and they too are great. I like keeping SD mags different than my training mags and can easily tell what load out they are by the mag. A L5 30RD black is Hornady 60gr Urban TAP (as is the paired 40 round G3 Pmags). The TAP Barrier 62gr is a Window G3 Pmag and the window G2 paired in a combo IMI M855 PPU 75gr HP alternating and so on and so on. I can look at the mag and know what the load out is because of the difference while all G3 are training mags.

I am impressed with the feedback on the ETS mags and intend on getting a couple to test and eventually load as a SD mag with a specific round.

Pmags have been 100%. Saying they are not because someone found a way to make them fail that has no relevance in reality is like saying poring salt on Hershey's Kisses proves they are not really good tasting.

If you believe either I bet you thought you could keep your doctor under Obama care.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Good lord.

Pmags, L5AWM's, and some others are very good stuff.

Pmags, L5AWM's, and ALL others are imperfect, at least with a large-enough sample base.

They're mass-produced, low-dollar, mechanical devices that get dropped and stepped on; in an application where tolerances run in the thousandths of inches.

Expecting perfection, across a sample of literally millions of units, from a hard-use nine-dollar item is irrational, regardless of what brand we're talking about.

I have no dog in this fight, as my personal preference is Okay/NHMTG/Colt aluminum 30's. I do have 50-60 Pmags (10's, 20's and 30's, windowed and non-windowed, in Gen2 and Gen 3) and 40-50 L5AWM's (10's 20's and 30's in both opaque and translucent), and they've all been fine. Only problem with either that I can recall, was one particular 75-grain loading that hung slightly in the Lancers; an OAL issue exclusive to that one load. I don't recall ever having a function problem with the Lancers or Pmags either one, in any of my guns or my sons' guns.

If you don't like Pmags/Lancers/ETS/Okay, don't buy them. If your gun doesn't like them, definitely don't buy them. But these threads seem to almost universally devolve into caliber-war-esque rants with more raw emotion than raw data. Pmags are good. L5AWM's are good. Okays are good. There are other brands that are good. There are also some brands that are broadly problematic. There are no brands that are 100% perfect, over 100% of all manufacturing runs, in 100% of guns they're tried in.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would guess they have produced at least 10,000 mags for very mag Lancer has produced.

Okay Industries magazines have been used in every combat senario this country has been involved in for DECADES!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And we ALL know gov't suffers from "sweetness of the lowest bid". 55 years with only a few minor changes? Cost has far more to do with it than any thing else.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I will say this.... I much prefer the G2 Magul over the G3 for ONE major reason. I can't clip the mag lip protectors to the bottom of the mags. Seems like a way for Magpul to sell more caps for the mags.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:04:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And we ALL know gov't suffers from "sweetness of the lowest bid". 55 years with only a few minor changes? Cost has far more to do with it than any thing else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's true (and it's NOT) why did the U.S. Military purchase the so called "High Reliability" HK mags which weren't.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If that's true (and it's NOT) why did the U.S. Military purchase the so called "High Reliability" HK mags which weren't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because politicians and procurement heads also suffer from "GPD" otherwise known as Greased Palm Disease.

Personally, I think Magpul makes a fine magazine, I like Lancers better. But, Magpul lost me when they couldn't decide who they stood with on the AWB up North. you had a long list of companies that immediately came out and said " If it's illegal for the citizens, we won't sell to the gov there either."

Meanwhile, Magpul hemmed and hawed, made statements and backtracked, all in an attempt to sell Pmags to cops who were charged with confiscating them from civilians. The week or more long moral dilemma that shouldn't have been, where a citizen might face a Magpul equipped gov thug, possibly financially ruined, sentenced to jail etc, was clouded by dollar signs.

After a bit, " Oh, we will make them sign an agreement that they won't use them to confiscate from citizens."

Sure Magpul like their word means anything, they swore an oath to a much more substantial document, the Constitution, and it means jack and Shit to them.

Everything I had on every rifle was Magpul, and everything I had, just as I said it would, came off.

Some things I waited until I saw someone, one of my friends looking to buy Magpul, so I gave items to them to kill a sale, I gave a complete furniture set and sights to one guy when he was building his. Some stuff I sold, either way, Magpul lost a sale. What was left I tossed in the burn barrel.

I have one piece left, a front sight. As soon as I find someone looking for a new one, I'll give it away too.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We did not hum and haw at all. If you read our Magpul Foundations you will see we are firmly on the side of the individual over the collective (As is the US Constitution). Punishing individual officers for the collective actions of their states elected politicians never sat well with us. Under that rational companies could have punished me individually (by not selling me potentially life saving product) while serving in the USMC just because Bill Clinton was elected President (something outside of my control). The following is the statement we released on the subject for those interested. It would be interesting to see how many of those business that jumped onto that particular bandwagon would fight and move their tax money out of the state in the same way we did in Colorado.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally, I think Magpul makes a fine magazine, I like Lancers better. But, Magpul lost me when they couldn't decide who they stood with on the AWB up North. you had a long list of companies that immediately came out and said " If it's illegal for the citizens, we won't sell to the gov there either."

Meanwhile, Magpul hemmed and hawed, made statements and backtracked, all in an attempt to sell Pmags to cops who were charged with confiscating them from civilians. The week or more long moral dilemma that shouldn't have been, where a citizen might face a Magpul equipped gov thug, possibly financially ruined, sentenced to jail etc, was clouded by dollar signs.

After a bit, " Oh, we will make them sign an agreement that they won't use them to confiscate from citizens."

Sure Magpul like their word means anything, they swore an oath to a much more substantial document, the Constitution, and it means jack and Shit to them.

Everything I had on every rifle was Magpul, and everything I had, just as I said it would, came off.

Some things I waited until I saw someone, one of my friends looking to buy Magpul, so I gave items to them to kill a sale, I gave a complete furniture set and sights to one guy when he was building his. Some stuff I sold, either way, Magpul lost a sale. What was left I tossed in the burn barrel.

I have one piece left, a front sight. As soon as I find someone looking for a new one, I'll give it away too.  

We did not hum and haw at all. If you read our Magpul Foundations you will see we are firmly on the side of the individual over the collective (As is the US Constitution). Punishing individual officers for the collective actions of their states elected politicians never sat well with us. Under that rational companies could have punished me individually (by not selling me potentially life saving product) while serving in the USMC just because Bill Clinton was elected President (something outside of my control). The following is the statement we released on the subject for those interested. It would be interesting to see how many of those business that jumped onto that particular bandwagon would fight and move their tax money out of the state in the same way we did in Colorado.

REGARDING LEO SALES
March 1st, 2013

Back in 1990, when I was deployed in Desert Shield and Desert Storm as a Marine grunt, some companies prioritized me items for my M16 for shipping that I purchased with my own funds. After getting out and forming Magpul in 1999, I established the same priority policy for Military and Law Enforcement, due to the requirements of their profession.

The same policy has been in place for 13 years now and has never been an issue until a few days ago. I do not support the idea that individual police officers should be punished for the actions of their elected officials. That said, I understand the concerns that some have with Law Enforcement officers getting special treatment while at the same time denouncing second amendment rights to another citizen in the same state.

With the fight in Colorado right now we do not have time to implement a new program, so I have suspended all LE sales to ban states until we can implement a system wherein any Law Enforcement Officer buying for duty use will have to promise to uphold their oath to the US Constitution - specifically the second and fourteenth amendments - as it applies to all citizens.

Richard Fitzpatrick
President/CEO - Founder
Magpul Industries

Bullshit, I was heavily involved in that thread, and you even had a fast track program to get the mags to LEO in the ban states.

How about we read up on the history of it, as it happened. Shall we ?

This comes up on page 10 for me, but may not for everyone. If it does, please go to page one and start from there.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_124/233273__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Since_MagPul_will_continue_selling_to_Gestapo_Agents__I_mean_ban_state_LEOs_____.html&page=10
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Also, a synopsis on what happened and how it unfolded.

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=6114
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#25]
So just to be sure I have this right, " Punishing individual officers for the collective actions of their states elected politicians never sat well with us." , you are ok with selling to the officers that enforce an unconstitutional law, the same item that they will arrest and imprison a citizen for having.

Good. Glad we're clear.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I have several
L5AWM and have not had any issues  at all. I use them  with 5.56 and 300blk. I'll  buy more .
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#27]
FWIW, I have no affiliation with any mag vendor and my Gen 1, 2, and 3 PMAGs, Lancer L5 AWM, and USGI aluminum mags have all run flawlessly.  I have never experienced a stoppage or fault, of any kind, with any of the roughly 10 AR-15 rifles I've owned and shot over the past 20 years.  This is in a sample size of roughly 15K rounds.  Here are some pros/cons from my perspective:

PMAG = great price, great company, easy to load and lock in on closed bolt.  Only minor con for me is on the maglevel variants the slit is pretty small
L5 AWM = OK price, and for the translucent version best in class visual on what's in your mag.  Con is that mine are very hard to seat on a closed bolt with >28 rounds
USGI = stupid cheap.  Con is they usually look like crap, IMHO are a smidge more fragile than the above, and the baseplate design leaves a bit to be desired

Also, FWIW, my HD SBRs are loaded with Colt USGI 20 round aluminum mags backed up by go-bags with L5 AWMs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure exactly what you mean....

I've seen with my own eyes lies saved by MRAPs, SAPI plates etc. , all made by the lowest bidder.  Every military helicopter and plane I've flown in landed without crashing, all apparently made by the lowest bidder.  When things don't work and need to be fixed they get fixed.  M16 magazines work generally well  and it is not the crisis people here on ARF.com try to make it to be.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#29]
The "which is best" black hole never rests...just keeps sucking poor bastards into it.

We were talking about magazines at some point, but I fear we're nearing the stage where someone throws down and claims someone else is Hitler.

I trust my own experience with products and the knowledge of the people that produced it. If the two don't jive according to my experience then I move on - I don't go off applying my experience to everyone else - as that is never apples to apples.

That's just my own rule of thumb, thought it'd be good food for thought given the state of this goofy little discussion thus far.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The "which is best" black hole never rests...just keeps sucking poor bastards into it.

We were talking about magazines at some point, but I fear we're nearing the stage where someone throws down and claims someone else is Hitler.

I trust my own experience with products and the knowledge of the people that produced it. If the two don't jive according to my experience then I move on - I don't go off applying my experience to everyone else - as that is never apples to apples.

That's just my own rule of thumb, thought it'd be good food for thought given the state of this goofy little discussion thus far.
View Quote

It's not only the quality of the product, but the integrity of the company that matters. There are plenty of companies to buy from that make reliable products across the firearms industry, where you can choose to buy quality, and buy from someone who believes that we are all equal, and that there are no special classes of citizenry that are allowed to infringe violently upon the rights of others, while exercising the same rights they are violating.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:30:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

MRAPs and SAPI plates would never have been generally fielded if not for ongoing operations on a two way range.

High magazine related malfunctions in USGI magazines were very evident with just one day on a USMC KD (Known Distance) course back in the early/mid 1990s. At this time the magazine was in place with no upgrade since it was first fielded in Vietnam.

Green followers were introduced as a direct result of a catastrophic malfunction that occurred with one magazine vendor (Sanchez). Malfunctions with the USGI magazine were so commonplace that a small fix for this one minor issue had the effect of reducing the USGI magazine failures by almost half!

It was not until several years later when true anti tilt followers were introduced (First by Magpul in 2004 then by the military in 2009 with the "tan is the plan" magazines) that the USGI even came close to a malfunction level of their Euro counterparts.

Again if not for operations concerning the GWOT, the tan follower magazines would also never likely have been funded or fielded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure exactly what you mean....

I've seen with my own eyes lies saved by MRAPs, SAPI plates etc. , all made by the lowest bidder.  Every military helicopter and plane I've flown in landed without crashing, all apparently made by the lowest bidder.  When things don't work and need to be fixed they get fixed.  M16 magazines work generally well  and it is not the crisis people here on ARF.com try to make it to be.

MRAPs and SAPI plates would never have been generally fielded if not for ongoing operations on a two way range.

High magazine related malfunctions in USGI magazines were very evident with just one day on a USMC KD (Known Distance) course back in the early/mid 1990s. At this time the magazine was in place with no upgrade since it was first fielded in Vietnam.

Green followers were introduced as a direct result of a catastrophic malfunction that occurred with one magazine vendor (Sanchez). Malfunctions with the USGI magazine were so commonplace that a small fix for this one minor issue had the effect of reducing the USGI magazine failures by almost half!

It was not until several years later when true anti tilt followers were introduced (First by Magpul in 2004 then by the military in 2009 with the "tan is the plan" magazines) that the USGI even came close to a malfunction level of their Euro counterparts.

Again if not for operations concerning the GWOT, the tan follower magazines would also never likely have been funded or fielded.

But none of this has anything to do with the "lowest bidder" crap I hear from internet commandos.  The green follower design was a temporary fix, which to me would imply they planned on a complete overhaul and thus the tan follower/spring combo.  I think it is quite safe to say MRAPS and SAPI plates and other new protective gear oh wait I forgot tourniquets, which were not issued during the early phases of OIF has saved magnitudes more lives than anything related to M16 magazines.  The military had much, much bigger fish to fry then a piece of plastic at the bottom of an M16 magazine............
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:12:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So just to be sure I have this right, " Punishing individual officers for the collective actions of their states elected politicians never sat well with us." , you are ok with selling to the officers that enforce an unconstitutional law, the same item that they will arrest and imprison a citizen for having.

Good. Glad we're clear.
View Quote

I'm on Magpul's side. I support our troops. You may not, and that's your right.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

From your original post in another thread, your "testing" involved dropping a M3 PMag, observing some visual damage and writing a post about it without even attempting to live fire the magazine in a rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've found MP Gen 3 to be pretty fragile in testing.

From your original post in another thread, your "testing" involved dropping a M3 PMag, observing some visual damage and writing a post about it without even attempting to live fire the magazine in a rifle.

I dropped a Gen 3 PMAG 3 times from about 5.5 feet. The second drop, there was a 1.5" crack or so. By the 3rd drop, it would no-longer hold 30 rounds static. This is consistent with my findings the last time I destroyed one of the Gen 3 PMAG's. Almost verbatim. You get 1 drop, and after that, the mag is toast as far as 100% function (won't hold ammo to full capacity). I can't freeze things to -60, so I just did this with a mag I grabbed out of my freezer, as I can't 100% replicate your test facility of course.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#36]
I have Pmags, Lancer and D&H mags. They all work just fine I have to admit it never thought about throwing my mags on the ground or running over them, seems a little nutty IMO. I have dropped mags accidentally, if I can get it to seat properly I will use it if it's bent or cracked I unload the rounds and throw away the mag.

Magpul has a great product in the Pmag. They support the shooting community and they brought a great product to the table when we really needed it. I can't figure out the hate I am reading here I can only guess that some individuals are jealouse of their success?

ETS man up and pay royalties because without Magpul you would never have existed
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good. Glad we're clear.

This is about LEO in safe act and other restricted states. This is not about the military. Last time I checked, our military was not tasked with confiscating guns and high cap mags at the behest of the state.

I have no idea where you're getting troops out of this, there was never a mention of it, none, period.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#39]
ETS I know it's a complicated issue and it's for the lawyers to sort out and truthfully it's none of my biness I was kidding around about you guys paying royalties. Hell its not like Magpul invented the 30 rd AR mag.

I'm glad you guys have resolved the issues IMO  as a consumer, the more the merrier .  
Magpul makes great mags they are proven and they are damn easy to load they also give back to the shooting community which is why it's sad to see fellow shooters piling on the hate wagon.

Good luck to you ETS it's got to be tough breaking  into a saturated magazine market. Must be a labor of love on your part
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I support our troops. You may not, and that's your right.
View Quote

What was said that brought this about?????
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is about LEO in safe act and other restricted states. This is not about the military. Last time I checked, our military was not tasked with confiscating guns and high cap mags at the behest of the state.

I have no idea where you're getting troops out of this, there was never a mention of it, none, period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good. Glad we're clear.

Then you need to check again. I happen to be from a state where the US Military pumped a bunch of troops into homes and took weapons from rightful owners.

So are you just anti-cop, or do you also think our US troops should be blacklisted? Or maybe you would like to re-examine your position on a few things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf8trl69kzo

So...what do ya say? Should all companies stop all sales to our troops? Or maybe do you think we should hold leadership accountable and stop blaming the officer/soldier for the orders THEY WERE GIVEN?

I'm with Magpul on this one. I support our police and our troops. It's the leftist government policies and officials that I oppose.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Good. Glad we're clear.
View Quote

Let's see, I took an oath to enforce the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Missouri. So as I see it I have to protect the rights of the citizens, EVEN YOURS!!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:26:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Let's see, I took an oath to enforce the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Missouri. So as I see it I have to protect the rights of the citizens, EVEN YOURS!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good. Glad we're clear.

The cops in New York other than some Sheriffs and deputies were not abiding by the constitution and are not protecting the rights of the citizens, and there have been arrests due to this act.

Most cops in my state, especially county are very, very good, and are very pro 2A.

As far as the other poster, my history shows that I am pro LEO when they are pro constitution and when they act and carry out their duties in that manner, and I am anti when it they do not. I don't indict an entire department on the actions of one officer. Corruption and disregard for the constitution are rampant in NY and have been for decades, hell, for over a century at least.

And as to the other poster, yes, if you are talking about Katrina, those Mil personnel should have been kicked from the military, and the officers giving the orders, the complete chain of command until the officer where the order was given, should have been stripped of their rank, been tried, and put in prison for it. Harsh actions call for harsh consequences, and nothing is is as harsh and breaking the sacred oath to the constitution and giving or following those orders to do so. The units involved should be disciplined , not the entire military.

Decent attempt at a straw man argument though.

But, you will never see pressure put on the politicians until those that are willing to enforce unjust laws are subject to the same and all suffer the consequences equally.

Lot's of companies stood up immediately and refused to do business with the tyrants of the state. If you don't remember, there was a list, with well over 100 companies. These companies didn't hem and haw over it, they fucking did the right thing, right off the bat.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good. Glad we're clear.

So would you arrest a person for having a 30rd Pmag, or a rifle that didn't fit the "allowed by the king category" while having one yourself because you got an exemption as an officer on your good word?

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/581741_The_Unscientific_Plastic_Magazine_Test___Videos_pg15___Part_2_pg16___mobile_users_56k_do_not_click_.html&page=1

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The cops in New York other than some Sheriffs and deputies were not abiding by the constitution and are not protecting the rights of the citizens, and there have been arrests due to this act.

Most cops in my state, especially county are very, very good, and are very pro 2A.

As far as the other poster, my history shows that I am pro LEO when they are pro constitution and when they act and carry out their duties in that manner, and I am anti when it they do not. I don't indict an entire department on the actions of one officer. Corruption and disregard for the constitution are rampant in NY and have been for decades, hell, for over a century at least.

And as to the other poster, yes, if you are talking about Katrina, those Mil personnel should have been kicked from the military, and the officers giving the orders, the complete chain of command until the officer where the order was given, should have been stripped of their rank, been tried, and put in prison for it. Harsh actions call for harsh consequences, and nothing is is as harsh and breaking the sacred oath to the constitution and giving or following those orders to do so. The units involved should be disciplined , not the entire military.

But, you will never see pressure put on the politicians until those that are willing to enforce unjust laws are subject to the same and all suffer the consequences equally.

Lot's of companies stood up immediately and refused to do business with the tyrants of the state. If you don't remember, there was a list, with well over 100 companies. These companies didn't hem and haw over it, they fucking did the right thing, right off the bat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good. Glad we're clear.

I didn't see anyone dumping military contracts when the commander in chief passed the AWB. Or the Patriot acts. Or anything else. It was a feelgood move to excite the masses to cut off a few states official pd sales ans it worked great.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Our dept has hundreds of mags, and has had them for years. I think only two have cracked. That's a miracle IMO, cops can break anything. Magpul makes great quality stuff, and stand behind it.

That said, I have a few lancer's too (mostly the clear ones). The clear/smoked mags have an obvious usefulness (that's better then the windowed mags, and they cost less) and are plenty strong enough for most useage. Plus they look trick, which is always important! I wish the Magpul guys would make some clear/smoked mags.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I wish the Magpul guys would make some clear/smoked mags.

View Quote

They did...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top