Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2015 6:38:29 PM EDT
Yes I searched. I read a couple different threads about windowed vs non windowed but they all ask, "what should I buy?" and tat is not what I am asking here. What I would like to know is when comparing windowed vs non windowed does the windowed suffer at all in terms of reliability or durability?  Has anyone had the windowed mags fail or malfunction due to the windows causing decreased structural integrity?  I am about to place an order for a small stack of pmags and I prefer to have the windows but not at the cost of long term durability. Thanks.

Secondly I'm pretty sure the m3 is the best buy simply because it is the new and improved but is the m3 actually better?  I trust magpul products and am willing to bet that even the first gen pmags are probably better than the vast majority of new mags on the market, but when comparing second gen to third gen did they actually fix any problems?  Are the mags any better?  Is the extra cost justified in any way?  My only rifle that I will use them in is an AR.

Probably a beat up set of questions but I appreciate any and all help. If my search skills are terrible and a recent thread answers please feel free to post a link and call me out for bad search mojo.  This site is one of the best forums I have the privilege to be a member of and thanks to everyone for their input!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
M3 will fit a few firearms that the M2 would not because of the M2's 'McNubbins' where the mag met the magazine well.  I think but can't be sure, it was the H&K 416(?) with the non-standard magazine well profile.

Windowed or non-windowed is a moot point, both work equally well and a windowed mag that gets it's window cracked or torn out won't lose any structural ability.

Someone explained all the M2/M3 differences here.  It's evolutionary, not revolutionary.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Never heard of a problem with the window.

Still not convinced the GenM3 is a real improvement over the RevM GenM2s.

Actually, after 18 months and 12K rounds downrange, I'm not even convinced Pmags are an improvement over a g.i. mag, but what does that count for?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
There were cracked windows but it didn't effect reliability. Personally get Lancer transparent magazine if you want to know how many rounds are left.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I've settled on M3 windowed PMAGS as my polymer mag of choice. Really don't see a downside to this product over any other polymer mag.

I think the painted coil on the spring is a better gauge than even the clear Lancers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll speak up for the Gen 2 PMAG. Love the color options, and they have held up very well.
Gen 3 has some advantages, but for the price, I pick up Gen 2's for $10.00.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
If you haven't already, buy one of each and see how your gun likes it. Sometimes there are differences.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#7]
If anyone has any leads on the best place to buy Pmags please let me know or PM me. Quantity would probably be somewhere between a dozen and two dozen. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If anyone has any leads on the best place to buy Pmags please let me know or PM me. Quantity would probably be somewhere between a dozen and two dozen. Thanks.
View Quote

I've bought 4 window Pmag for 10.84 from them. Shipping was a flat rate of $2 and something. 2% goes to 2nd amendment.  foundation.

http://www.magcommander.com/products/magpul-gen-m2-moe-fde-30-round-window-223-5-56-ar-15-magazine

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top