Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2015 2:32:43 PM EDT
Hi all, '

I've been using the C Products Defense Stainless Steel 30 rounders, and haven't been highly impressed with them.  They run fine, but compared to 2 NHMTG mags I own, they feel flimsy.  You can squeeze the bottom of the mag with your hand, and the sides will flex in towards the middle, such that the angle between the side of the mag and the floorplate becomes non-right angle. I'm not sure if it's an issue or not, but it feels flimsy to me.  The sides pop right back out, but compared to the NHMTG, when you squeeze them, the NHMTG mags don't flex period.   Also used one NHMTG and one C-Prod Def in a lesson this week, doing the box drill and shooting on the move.  When dropping the mags free onto the epoxied concrete deck, the NHMTG seemed no worse for the wear, but the base-plate on the C-Prod Def popped off twice and looked AFU (all fked up).  

Ideally, I would buy all NHMTG, but I just saw a deal at Brownell's for 10 Brownell's USGI, with magpul follower and ranger plates, for $127.  I went ahead and ordered 10 of them.  Probably against better judgement, as I know nothing about them...just seemed like an awesome deal.  I can find NHMTG for about $11 a piece online, but that's without Ranger Plates, which adds $6 to the mag.   I like the Ranger Plates, as they protect the mags from damage when dropping free...I know mags are disposable, but i want my dollar to go as far as it can.  No sense in damaging mags if I can avoid it.

So my question to you all is this:  how do Brownell's mags stack up against OK/NHMTG/Colt?  Are they tough and reliable, like NHMTG?   Has anyone used them overseas or in extended, high-volume-of fire training or courses?

Mags will be used for plinking, indoor training/lessons, and a carbine class in July (3 day/1800 rounds, in the NM desert).  

Thanks brothers :-)
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi all, '

I've been using the C Products Defense Stainless Steel 30 rounders, and haven't been highly impressed with them.  They run fine, but compared to 2 NHMTG mags I own, they feel flimsy.  You can squeeze the bottom of the mag with your hand, and the sides will flex in towards the middle, such that the angle between the side of the mag and the floorplate becomes non-right angle. I'm not sure if it's an issue or not, but it feels flimsy to me.  The sides pop right back out, but compared to the NHMTG, when you squeeze them, the NHMTG mags don't flex period.   Also used one NHMTG and one C-Prod Def in a lesson this week, doing the box drill and shooting on the move.  When dropping the mags free onto the epoxied concrete deck, the NHMTG seemed no worse for the wear, but the base-plate on the C-Prod Def popped off twice and looked AFU (all fked up).  

Ideally, I would buy all NHMTG, but I just saw a deal at Brownell's for 10 Brownell's USGI, with magpul follower and ranger plates, for $127.  I went ahead and ordered 10 of them.  Probably against better judgement, as I know nothing about them...just seemed like an awesome deal.  I can find NHMTG for about $11 a piece online, but that's without Ranger Plates, which adds $6 to the mag.   I like the Ranger Plates, as they protect the mags from damage when dropping free...I know mags are disposable, but i want my dollar to go as far as it can.  No sense in damaging mags if I can avoid it.

So my question to you all is this:  how do Brownell's mags stack up against OK/NHMTG/Colt?  Are they tough and reliable, like NHMTG?   Has anyone used them overseas or in extended, high-volume-of fire training or courses?

Mags will be used for plinking, indoor training/lessons, and a carbine class in July (3 day/1800 rounds, in the NM desert).  

Thanks brothers :-)
View Quote

O.K., my .02 worth...

I prefer magazines manufactured by Okay Industries because they have a LONG PROVEN track record.

It wasn't that long ago that if you purchased a Brownells marked magazine you were actually purchasing a C Products mag.

I will admit, the current Brownells mags are MUCH BETTER! They have also passed all .mil testing and specifications.

Being I can find as new or new Okay, Colt, or NHMTG (all manufactured by Okay Industries) on the EE for around $7.00 I'll go that route.

IIRC, the current contract holders are...

Brownells
Center Industries
Colt
Okay Industries
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Brownells mags are good to go.  I use the dogshit out of them with no problems.

I use the type with MagPul followers or the current spec .mil anti-tilt followers.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
they work fine but construction is kinda sloppy, I would much prefer OKAY or D&H.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had zero issues with the handful that I own with the .mil anti tilt followers. Solid mags (better price if you don't live in IA...sales tax and all) and are one of current US issue.  

But for their price vs. what you can get D&H from Palmetto for, I've been buying D&H to stock up on.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I had some that were a very tight fit in the magwell. That's as far as I got with them, I sold them.  These were USGI contract mags with the brown follower, and should be the same bodys as the ones from the mailorder, but I can't say for sure.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Survived Afghanistan so I voted GTG
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#7]
They're GTG in my opinion because they have never given me a single problem. As far as GI mags go, I'd say they're up there with the best of them. They can be a bit expensive compared to other GI style mags that work just as well(D&H) but as far as performance goes, I would have no second thoughts about using them in a serious use rifle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#8]
GTG, Good quality mags with a warranty from Brownells,
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
They are solidly built and so far have functioned well in my rifle.  They're damn ugly,  but who cares?  If it works it's all good.

Thanks for the input guys
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top