Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2015 9:46:59 AM EDT
Why are good 20 round .223 polymer mags so hard to come by? All I read are negative reviews on the Promags and I prefer to have a shorter mag on my 10.5 home defense AR rather than a longer 30 round mag for tactical reasons. Please post links if anyone knows of a good sale, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Straight 20s are a little harder to find, especially in colors other than black. But if all you want is any 20rd polymer mag regardless of shape, then they aren't hard to find:

http://www.primaryarms.com/Magpul_PMAG_M3_Magazine_AR_15_223_Remington_20_Rou_p/mag560-blk.htm

That said, what "tactical reasons" do you think would dictate having 10 less rounds when the difference is only an inch or two? Stick with standard 30rd mags for HD and use the 20s for shooting prone or off a bench. Nobody ever complained about having too much ammo when they were defending themselves.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy Alu mags.

44mag.com has 20rd Pmags and 20rd straight ALU mags.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I find that PMAG 20s are pretty available. My young boys like them for bench shooting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I like Lancer 20's. Midway and other places have them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]

That said, what "tactical reasons" do you think would dictate having 10 less rounds when the difference is only an inch or two? Stick with standard 30rd mags for HD and use the 20s for shooting prone or off a bench. Nobody ever complained about having too much ammo when they were defending themselves.
View Quote

ummm.........prone shooting.    bench shooting.   To name two reasons.
By your logic I should have nothing but Beta C mags.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Bench shooting isn't "tactical".
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I have no idea why, but in the last month all 20-round pmags have sold out in my town in the 4 local gun shops.  Pretty much the same thing with all affordable .223/5.56 ammo, but I understand why that occurred with the 855 scare.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]

Right because OP is going to be dropping to prone or shooting off a bench when he's investigating that bump in the night.

Did you even read what I said?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have no idea why, but in the last month all 20-round pmags have sold out in my town in the 4 local gun shops.  Pretty much the same thing with all affordable .223/5.56 ammo, but I understand why that occurred with the 855 scare.
View Quote

This is why internet shopping is so great!!!

For those who think the 20-round mags are good for shooting off the bench, well........the 10-rounders are GREAT for that.  Don't even have to disturb your rifle to change 'em.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#10]
CDNN has aluminum 20 rounders in several calibers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]

OP is talking about home defense "tactical reasons". Neither of your 2 reasons really come into play here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For those who think the 20-round mags are good for shooting off the bench, well........the 10-rounders are GREAT for that.  Don't even have to disturb your rifle to change 'em.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True on the 10-rounders generally.  I use a 10-rounder when hunting just for weight.  Still, the 20-rounders are kind of that Goldilocks area of "just right".  I have a Steyr AUG, a Kel-Tec PLR16, and an LWRC.  20-rounders aren't a PITA in those guns in terms of handling and hitting things.  The 20-rounders, for most folks, are just right for extension interference, sticking the weapon in a gun bag, and just generally not "getting in the way"...and still providing a good deal of firepower "if needed".
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Just search online. Most LGS's I visit only have 30-round and 40-rounders, but the 10- and 20-rounders are plentiful at Midway et al. I have several of each, except 40's. Need to pick up some just to make more liberal tears
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]

Beta Cmags are shorter  than the 20rd mags.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to be a big fan of the 20s but I prefer 30s now. They are cheaper and easier to find, hold more ammo, and look better IMO.

If you need 20s get some NHMTGs or PMAG20s.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

$6 for Bushmaster 20rders today. FYI
http://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-223-20rd-blk-alum-curved.html#.VSBr-_nF-So

Does anybody know if D/H is making them for Bushy now?  I remember long ago they did make some 30s for them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why are good 20 round .223 polymer mags so hard to come by?
View Quote

To answer your question, they are not hard to find. AIM has 20 rd PMags with free shipping.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

To answer your question, they are not hard to find. AIM has 20 rd PMags with free shipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why are good 20 round .223 polymer mags so hard to come by?

Thanks. For whatever reason whenever I searched AR15 20 round mags I wasn't getting many source hits.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:56:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Brownells has straight 20 rounders for $9.99.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#21]
what the hell is tactical?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#22]
It seems SBR's only come with 20's. I got my 9 SBR's out of jail last week and they each had 2 20's with them
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#23]
On  a related note, is there a coupler for the Pmag 20's?  
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

what the hell is tactical?
View Quote

I love 20s. Use them 90% of the time in ARs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Does anybody know if D/H is making them for Bushy now?  I remember long ago they did make some 30s for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would definitely if those have anti-virus followers.
The description doesn't say.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought a pair of bushmaster 20s from CDNN. I can confirm anti tilt followers, Pmag20 on the bottom for reference.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#27]
wtf double post
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/by41SZd.jpg

I bought a pair of bushmaster 20s from CDNN. I can confirm anti tilt followers, Pmag20 on the bottom for reference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/by41SZd.jpg

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Personally I prefer the 20's for riding in the truck around the farm.  The 30's stick out to far when I rest the rifle between my seat and console.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#30]
10 & 20 rounders are good for giving to friends who want to shoot your rifle, while budgeting their ammo usage.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#31]
The Bushmaster 20rd mags at CDNN for $6.99 each are new in the bag black teflon coated D&H mags with Magpul followers and Bushmaster base plates. I was pleased with mine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
10 & 20 rounders are good for giving to friends who want to shoot your rifle, while budgeting their ammo usage.
View Quote

LOL...very true. You sound like you speak from experience.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Bushmaster 20rd mags at CDNN for $6.99 each are new in the bag black teflon coated D&H mags with Magpul followers and Bushmaster base plates. I was pleased with mine.
View Quote

Same here.  I ordered 8 the other day and they worked flawlessly when I kill this:

ETA: just realized that's a different mag.  My ones from CDNN are black.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I picked up 20 and they look like D&H w/ gray anti tilt followers.  I just happened to be on CDNN when I saw them for under $6 while ordering something else.  I figured what the heck, as I was already paying the flat rate shipping.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top