Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2015 8:35:33 PM EDT
so I have quite a few magpul  mags (around 20) all purchased within the last three years; and four aluminum mags that came with different ARs that I've purchased. for some reason one of my ARs (a CORE15) will not run the magpul mags. it fails to feed and mars the shit out of the round that didn't make it into the chamber.

why?

why are some rifles happy running plastic magazines and some of them refuse to function with them ?

why does my core15 like the aluminum magazines and not the plastic ones ?

enlighten me  
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Well odds are something is simply out of spec. Iirc early Magpul mags had some issues but that was fixed a long long time ago.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
are some rifles just designed to work with the aluminum magazines ?
I've read over the FAQ thread in this section but couldn't seem to find an answer to that.

I was perusing lowers the other day and noticed that some of them clearly state that they are designed to work with "most all magazines"

here is an example of one from seekins:

Link thingy

so if there is something out of spec on the rifle, im guessing it would be the lower ?

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:04:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like you are having bolt-over-round misfeeds. Most likely it is the thickness of the plastic magazine's feed lips and because of that the rounds are sitting lower in relation to the bolt face than when using alum. magazines.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Just use ALU mags then. I had a SCAR 16 with a tight mag well that wouldn't accept Pmags. It's a firearm issue not a mag issue.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just use ALU mags then. I had a SCAR 16 with a tight mag well that wouldn't accept Pmags. It's a firearm issue not a mag issue.
View Quote

This. Your lower is goofy.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Try releasing the magazine latch and see if the magpuls will go into the lower enough to properly feed. If so, then the magazine latch location is off. Separate the lower and look at how the magazines sit compared to another rifle. The thickness of the  feed lips on the magpuls might be the difference in feeding and not. You might want to get another lower that is reliable.

A bit off topic but- The only issue I have/had with Magpuls are the 3rd gen. which do not always engage the bolt latch in some lowers. Gen. 2 seem to be fine. There again you can say it is a rifle issue but a lot of lowers have this problem and the best fix I have found for that is a 30 round GI magazine w/green follower (I don't have any of the recent brown follower magazines) or install a gen. 3 magpul follower in a GI magazine which solves the problem in every rifle I have tried.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#9]
It could be the lower tolerances causing your issues.  Try using a good USGI mag and see if your issue continues.
 Duh!  Reading is fundamental!

I've used lots of PMags when I first got in the AR game.  Still have a small "mag fort" of them.
I did experience malfunctions with them.  Not really an excessive amount but, malfunctions never the less.  Mostly bolt overs.
This occurred with LMT and Noveske Gen I and II lowers, carbine and mid-length gas systems and 10.5" SBRs to 16" barrels.

I've since moved to quality USGI (NHMTG & Colt) mags.  The malfunctions I experienced with PMags are virtually non-existent now in the same setups.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I've had one.

I'm not knocking PMags.  If they work for you great and they apparently work great for an awful lot of people.  I just found a better option for me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Different geometry.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Not trying to be disagreeable to the aluminum fans but the only thing not 100% in PMag use for me has been some lower/upper combinations are a bit harder to seat with a closed bolt. That has been it.

Aluminum mags have been near perfect as well except when they were dented in some small way but I can't fault them as that is material and wear.

I have not owned more than a couple dozen types of lower/upper combos but 100% for Pmags has to make me wonder what is wrong with an occasional AR when they don't work

My problems, few as they were, with aluminum comes from running drills which necessitate dropping mags in sand, clay, grass, cement and inadvertently stepping on them or kicking them in those drills. Aluminum are (more) easily damaged particularly on the feed areas..

I have no loyalty to any maker at least no other reason than proven (to me) results and perfect (so far) is a hard score to beat.

If I am just lucky, well, nice to be lucky at something
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never known Magpul 20rders to be reliable.  My aluminum straight 20's are flawless.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top