Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2015 10:45:13 PM EDT
Looking for metal, USGI-style mags.  Ideally in Stainless.  Local store has PMAGs and C-Products SS series.  Are the C-Prods reliable?  If not, are there any other reliable all metal options?  I just can't get on board with the all-polymer trend.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownell's mags are excellent.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Older surplus mags are very GTG.

For aluminum magazines I would look for Colt, Sanchez, OKay, Adventureline, Center Industries, LaBelle, and a few others I can't remember right off the top of my head.

I would stay away from Cooper mags. They are the only manufacturer that didn't pass the .mil stress test if I remember correctly.

BTW: You can always replace the followers and the springs after you purchase the mags, as those surplus mags are still pretty cheap.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brownell's mags are excellent.
View Quote

I forgot about them.

I was just referring to surplus mags.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Just replace the followers and springs and you should be GTG.
I prefer to use the Magpul followers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a bunch of NHMTG w/ magpul followers that are flawless.

I do have to ask why you "can't get onboard" with ploymer mags?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Brownell's has a special; 10 mags for $100. G.I.-style with Magpul 'foliage green' followers. That's hard to beat.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:33:40 AM EDT
[#7]
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought some stainless c products straight 20's a long time ago they have proven great.
That said it seemed like back then it was hit and miss for people with the 30's i'd assume they corected this by now.

I'd add NHMTG along with D&H to the ones listed above for known good 30rd mags.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Regarding why I have reservations about P-MAGS:

1 - Polymer feed lips.  Seems like these would spread over time, at a higher rate than steel, and eventually cause feed issues.  Seems like stainless would be a better option, tougher feed lips.
2 - Toughness.  I read a review online recently where several police officers stress-tested C-prods SS mags.  They were run over by cruisers several times, dropped base and feed lip first onto concrete several times each.  All mags survived tests and were 100% functional after.   Hve trouble believing polymer could withstand that
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Brownells and D&H and never had any problems. I do replace the followers with Magpuls if they don't already have them installed. I'm confident enough in both of these brands I don't pay any attention to the others....well when it comes to USGI mags. PMags are still my favorites.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Brownells is a military contractor . The mags they sell are nice .
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

1 - Polymer feed lips.  Seems like these would spread over time, at a higher rate than steel, and eventually cause feed issues.  Seems like stainless would be a better option, tougher feed lips.
2 - Toughness.  I read a review online recently where several police officers stress-tested C-prods SS mags.  They were run over by cruisers several times, dropped base and feed lip first onto concrete several times each.  All mags survived tests and were 100% functional after.   Hve trouble believing polymer could withstand that
View Quote

Do your own testing. You are only making assumptions and basing idea's off things you have heard, Not that you've experienced.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do your own testing. You are only making assumptions and basing idea's off things you have heard, Not that you've experienced.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ONLY magazines I trust are manufactured by Okay Industries!
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Most of the new-in-wrap Okay's have dried up at the gun shows.  Now there are a lot of
Center Industries (Elkay Plastics)  instead.  Are the Center Industry mags worth buying?
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Most of the new-in-wrap Okay's have dried up at the gun shows.  Now there are a lot of
Center Industries (Elkay Plastics)  instead.  Are the Center Industry mags worth buying?
View Quote

Watch the EE, new & as-new Okay mags show up regularly. $10.00 or less each.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know lots of people have tried very hard to prove polymer mags are inferior
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#18]
i have 5 D&H that are good to go.  heard good stuff about c products too
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#19]
IME, the best USGI mags are NHMTG, OKAY, and Brownells, not in any specific order. If you want USGI "style", Id suggest D and H mags with the magpul follower. I've got over 30 now and never have problems in 4 different rifles. For what a D and H costs I'm ok with treating them as disposable.

PMAGs are great as are the Lancer L5A's, don't limit yourself to just USGi.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I guess I'm just worried about the PMAGS splitting down the spine and or having gradual feed lip spread.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
i have 5 D&H that are good to go.  heard good stuff about c products too
View Quote

I love my d&h ,black Teflon coated and cheap
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
IME, the best USGI mags are NHMTG, OKAY, and Brownells, not in any specific order. If you want USGI "style", Id suggest D and H mags with the magpul follower. I've got over 30 now and never have problems in 4 different rifles. For what a D and H costs I'm ok with treating them as disposable.

PMAGs are great as are the Lancer L5A's, don't limit yourself to just USGi.
View Quote

NHMTG is not a U.S.G.I. supplier, NHMTG is manufactured by Okay Industries who is a supplier. The quality is the same.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I use d&h without any problem... at the price point you can't beat them
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I use d&h without any problem... at the price point you can't beat them
View Quote

Agreed. I've bought them as low as $5.99 with Magpul followers installed. Mags function 100% and have a tough, good looking black Teflon coating. Definitely a great mag to stock up on.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#25]
D and h have never failed me yet
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I guess I'm just worried about the PMAGS splitting down the spine and or having gradual feed lip spread.
View Quote

I wouldnt. That problem is grossly over stated in my opinion. Dudes in my squad had nothing but pmag, went through thousands of rounds and never had a problem. Usgi with the tan followers or retrofitted with magpul followers are equally up to task though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#27]
My most reliable USGI style 30 rd mags for over 30 years in my own personal experience are made by Okay Industries (makes most Colt mags).

However my current favorite same type mags are D&H teflon finished mags for about 10 years now, I prefer their more durable but slippery finish and all my USGI style mags have Magpul Gen 3 anti-tilt followers in them. The majority of my spare mags are D&H more or less about 60 mags (about half gray color half black).

On my most used on my carbine gas system AR, I use D&H mags with the noted Magpul followers, also extra power Wolff springs and mostly Magpul Ranger plates so they could be easily pulled out of my mag chest rig.

With polymer mags my go to mags are Magpul PMAG for about 8 years now without any problems, they're actually stronger than metal mags when run over by a heavy truck, see an old 8 year video link below about the original Gen 1 PMAG if you have any doubts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCFXcOOb4jc

Here's another vid of the newest latest Gen 3 PMAG compared with USGI type mag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-5kphqX_80

Edited To Add:

Here is the Magazine FAQ tacked thread link on top of this magazine forum, it states the reliable USGI mags and what to avoid.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=331

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#28]

PSA has D&H 30s on sale for Easter.  

For $6.99 with the Magpul follower they are a pretty good buy, IMHO.  I've got a few dozen and have yet to have an issue.  

I do like my old Okay Industries magazines though...+
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQxYXTYohPI

Can you break them?  Sure you can, if you try.  But, they are pretty tough.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looking for metal, USGI-style mags.  Ideally in Stainless.  Local store has PMAGs and C-Products SS series.  Are the C-Prods reliable?  If not, are there any other reliable all metal options?  I just can't get on board with the all-polymer trend.
View Quote

Hi,

I've had the metal vs. polymer conversation myself with my son, it's a friendly debate.  My son bought a bunch of windowed Magpul Gen 2  magazines and fought two wars in Afghanistan and Iraq with them in garrison and combat.  No jams no drama with his M-4 carbine, and they still soldier on today.  The CPD Inc. SS 5.56/223 magazine is my choice, I've tested them and they are extremely stong and resilient.  The old C Products LLc magazine had spotty quality and I've been told that the Marlube coating could cause problems.  You still see new old stock of the C Products LLc magazine out there.  The new CPD Inc.SS  magazines are much better constructed, stronger, using a hole and post contraction at the top and bottom for consistent repeatable construction and welding.

I've done crush test stamping of the feed lips or a loaded magazine of the PMAG Gen 3 and CPD Inc. SS 5.56/223 magazine .  The PMAG gen 3 magazine would crack it's spline while the Isonite QPQ CPD Inc. SS 5.56/223 magazine didn't break and worked OK.  To be fair the cracked PMAGS worked fine too although they allowed some of the rounds inside the magazine to become dented and it caused some trouble with feeding into tight chambers, but did fine with with RRA, and DS Arms carbine chambers.  

The aluminum magazines work fine too with updated followers, it's actually one thing both I and my son agree on our back-up range mags are aluminum with updated magpul or tan followers, green followers are OK too, but the old black ones are a problem.  I would suggest that you put at least 500 round through any style of magazine as there is a big difference on how the underside of "GI" and aftermarket BCG's are cut.  I hope the information helps

Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I trust only TRUE .mil approved magazines.

I prefer of the approved .mil magazines the units manufactured by Okay Industries, they are sold under the following labels...

Okay Industries
Colt
NHMTG

I add the Magpul Ranger L floorplate & the Magpul Gen III follower.

I will not trust my life (or someone else's) to a magazine that can't pass the .mil approval testing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I prefer of the approved .mil magazines the units manufactured by Okay Industries, they are sold under the following labels...

Okay Industries
Colt
NHMTG

I will not trust my life (or someone else's) to a magazine that can't pass the .mil approval testing.
View Quote

I'm the same way.  I've been an NHMTG/Okay guy for a long time, but I have a batch of ten Centers with tan followers that are damn nice mags.  They are equal to the Okays I have.  Some earlier Centers I had were trashy lookin', but worked well..
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm the same way.  I've been an NHMTG/Okay guy for a long time, but I have a batch of ten Centers with tan followers that are damn nice mags.  They are equal to the Okays I have.  Some earlier Centers I had were trashy lookin', but worked well..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay Industries
Colt
NHMTG

Hi,

Please be aware that the the drawings (NSN) for the M-16 magazine that manufacturers have to qualify to is dimensionally and material (aluminum) driven.  No steel (ASC, E-Lander, CPD Inc.)  or polymer (P-Mag, Lancer) can meet that specification by nature of what they are made from.  The advantage of aluminum magazines is that they are reliable if handled in a reasonable manner, they are inexpensive, and disposable (i.e. they can be easily crunched by a foot if needed making them unusable to the enemy.) People that I know who fought in Afghanistan and Iraq crunched more than a few Aluminum magazines.  Crunching a P-Mag will probably crack the spline as the human foot can easily generate much higher pressures than a 2.5 ton truck, but the magazine will probably work for awhile which is unacceptable when your enemy is using captured M-16A2 rifles and M-4 carbines. Mil-Spec is consistant, good, predictable, but it isn't necessaryily the best for civilian use as our priorities are different.

Regards:
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#36]
When it comes to aluminum magazines I have some Labelle and D&H magazines.  FWIW I have had no issues with either of them and most of them have the green followers.  I will say I also have a few Gen 2 Pmags and have had zero issues with them.  When I buy new aluminum mags I buy D&H, Teflon coated and if they have the Magpul follower that is a plus but not a requirement for me because the old school green followers have worked for me.  I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hi,

Please be aware that the the drawings (NSN) for the M-16 magazine that manufacturers have to qualify to is dimensionally and material (aluminum) driven.  No steel (ASC, E-Lander, CPD Inc.)  or polymer (P-Mag, Lancer) can meet that specification by nature of what they are made from.  The advantage of aluminum magazines is that they are reliable if handled in a reasonable manner, they are inexpensive, and disposable (i.e. they can be easily crunched by a foot if needed making them unusable to the enemy.) People that I know who fought in Afghanistan and Iraq crunched more than a few Aluminum magazines.  Crunching a P-Mag will probably crack the spline as the human foot can easily generate much higher pressures than a 2.5 ton truck, but the magazine will probably work for awhile which is unacceptable when your enemy is using captured M-16A2 rifles and M-4 carbines. Mil-Spec is consistant, good, predictable, but it isn't necessaryily the best for civilian use as our priorities are different.

Regards:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay Industries
Colt
NHMTG

Hi,

Regards:

Sort of true...  The enemy doesn't get many "captured" M16's and M4s.  I've seen many weapons our side has captured mostly AKs, never fired and dropped only once.  The only real difference between military and civilian use is in the military if you break a magazine you just get a new one for free.  The supposed fragility of the USGI magazine is internet hype mostly promoted on this very forum.....USGI mags work perfectly fine in the most intense combat zones, so they are perfectly fine for anything in the continental USA.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sort of true...  The enemy doesn't get many "captured" M16's and M4s.  I've seen many weapons our side has captured mostly AKs, never fired and dropped only once.  The only real difference between military and civilian use is in the military if you break a magazine you just get a new one for free.  The supposed fragility of the USGI magazine is internet hype mostly promoted on this very forum.....USGI mags work perfectly fine in the most intense combat zones, so they are perfectly fine for anything in the continental USA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay Industries
Colt
NHMTG

Hi,

Regards:

+1
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 1:41:56 AM EDT
[#39]
.  I would suggest that you put at least 500 round through any style of magazine as there is a big difference on how the underside of "GI" and aftermarket BCG's are cut.
View Quote
 This does not make any sense.  Please explain.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#40]
NIW/B Tan or green follower USGIs (CAGE-coded and NSN on bag/box Okay, Center, Brownell's) can regularly be found in the EE for $7ish shipped - not sure why anyone would seek anything else at that price.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
NIW/B Tan or green follower USGIs (CAGE-coded and NSN on bag/box Okay, Center, Brownell's) can regularly be found in the EE for $7ish shipped - not sure why anyone would seek anything else at that price.
View Quote

^^^ THIS!!! ^^^
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Okay Industries
Colt
NHMTG

View Quote

I use NHMTG mags. Never have had any issues.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay Industries
Colt
NHMTG

And in all probability, never will.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay Industries
Colt
NHMTG

I personally prefer mil-spec AR magazines (Okay, Simmonds, NHMTG are my brand favorites), or at least mil-style (ie, D&H); I'm an old fart and have been happily using aluminum 30's for a long time. But I don't see it as 'gospel', anymore than I'm automatically wed to only .mil-approved AR manufacturers; or for that matter, true .mil ammunition or .mil handguns either.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Brownells are issued items, I was issued some for my last deployment they worked as advertised.

C Products stainless work good as well I brought one with me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#46]
I think I'm gonna go ahead and order some Brownell's - they have  deal right now where it's 10 for $127 with MP followers and MP Ranger Plates.
Not very impressed with my C Products Defense SS mags - they feel flimsy.  I can squeeze them -- unloaded of course -- in the palm of my hand and feel them flex.  The single NHMTG mag I own ( a "Colt" 30 rounder) doesn't do this and feels rock-solid.  Probably not a huge deal, but if it feels flimsy by me squeezing it in my palm, not very confidence-inspiring.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Someone mentioned $5.99 for d&h earlier. If anyone has a lead for $7 each or less shipped for any of the quality mags I would say post here and share but if that violates the rules then a private message would be appreciated. Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Someone mentioned $5.99 for d&h earlier. If anyone has a lead for $7 each or less shipped for any of the quality mags I would say post here and share but if that violates the rules then a private message would be appreciated. Thanks OP!
View Quote

There is a red highlighted sticky at the very top of the main page that has mag deals posted!...
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#49]
D&H and NHMTG are GTG, I also like Gen 2 Pmags. Got some Center Industries mags coming.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for the feedback on D&H.  I got 25 during the Easter sale and they seem good to go.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top