Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2015 12:35:54 AM EDT
I have plenty of Pmags and the (even better) Lancer L5AWM's... now I'm interested in adding steel 5.56 mags to the mix. I'm not very informed about steel AR mags, or who makes them. From what I gather, the popular D&H mags are aluminum? Can someone guide me to some GOOD steel mags (even better if they're Teflon coated)? I saw some Blackhawk stainless steel ones today, but I think they were a little high priced ($19/ea) so I didn't buy. Any links to good steel mags (again, would prefer Teflon coated, but not absolute)? Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:52:38 AM EDT
[#1]
the Blackhawk are c products iirc.  The D&H mags are better
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Anything D&H w/ magpul followers will work great for you.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:00:43 AM EDT
[#3]
But aren't D&H mags aluminum? I'm looking at getting steel mags.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:04:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But aren't D&H mags aluminum? I'm looking at getting steel mags.
View Quote

Yes, D&H are aluminum.

eta:  HK if you really think you need steel
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 3:40:56 AM EDT
[#5]
E Lander mags are steel with a very tough black coating, though very shiney. The quality is excellent on the newest version out there. There's a few places that sell them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
E Lander mags are steel with a very tough black coating, though very shiney. The quality is excellent on the newest version out there. There's a few places that sell them.
View Quote

This if you want steel go with the elanders you cannot go wrong with the latest generation they're good to go I've got a bunch of them myself
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Mako e landers are the only steel gi's that I know of.   But I would say start with one.  I purchased some and my rifle didn't like them.  But that was 1.5-2 years ago, they may have improved now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for E-landers. I have 3 of them and haven't had any problems over hundreds and hundreds of rounds.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
The only bad thing about the elanders is they tend to be tight with a full 30rds when you seat the magazine with a closed bolt .

However it can be done you just need to push firmly till it seats on an open bolt there is no issues . I suggest you load them up and let them sit the springs on these magazines are wicked super strong. However, I find that to be a good thing a positive not a negative.

as others have said the first generation had some issues with the mag catch slot being in the wrong place but the current generation that has been out now for well over a year and a half is 100 percent it good to go and you would only find the older generation magazines on the second hand market.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Why in the hell screw with this.

Purchase Okay Industries and you won't have ANY issues!
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#11]
There's some drama going on with Mako GD LINK .... caveat emptor and all that jazz.

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There's some drama going on with Mako GD LINK .... caveat emptor and all that jazz.

View Quote

hi Joe I saw that little drama throat over there but please remember that's all to do with Dylan one of makos dealers mako group itself in New York has always been good with me.

The elanders both pistol and m4 mags are ok in my book I have a bunch of both of them without any issues as a matter of fact the cz mags are better in my opinion then the factory ones and a helluva lot cheaper
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think all Okay mags are aluminum and he was wanting steel mags specifically.

Where does one find Okay mags these days? I have a bunch of old ones and they are excellent.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Where does one find Okay mags these days? I have a bunch of old ones and they are excellent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, all Okay mags are aluminum.

Watch the EE, you can find as-new to new ones for under $10.00
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Why bother? Aluminum works just fine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:55:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess my thoughts were that steel mags might be more resistant to dents and feed lip deformation when being dumped out onto gravel, but it's a moot point as I'm training myself to retain my mags. I bought 8 of those E-Lander mags  last summer specifically for use as training mags. I don't know, I'm a mag whore and I figured what the hell, why not. It seemed like the thing to do at the time. They are no more, or less reliable than my adventure, sanchez, cooper, Okay ind. mags I've been running for an age.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:59:40 AM EDT
[#17]
The lower is aluminum, so I like to put aluminum magazines into it.

Maybe that's over-simplifying, but it makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

so with that logic in mind that means the bolt carrier should also be made of aluminum since well the bolt carrier is made of  steel and travels within an aluminum upper ???
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

so with that logic in mind that means the bolt carrier should also be made of aluminum since well the bolt carrier is made of  steel and travels within an aluminum upper ???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, I DO have an aluminum bolt carrier on one of my AR's.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhhh shit ha got me there brother !!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got some old style tilt follower and new style anti-tilt follower Mako stainless steel 20 round mags, both run fine in my BCM. Mako E-Landers and Lancers are the only options I know of for stainless steel mags. New style mags ordered directly from Mako a few years ago, pricey ($25) but shipped fast. Late last year found some older style Mako 20s on sale at CTD for $10 each.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Have only used three types of steel mags that work.

First is a odd ball FN FNC 30 round STANAG mag that won't lock the bolt to the rear, feeds fines.
Second bunch of HK High Realiability 30 rd mags, work ok, bent one feed lip on a dropped mag and heavy.
Last got some FN Mk16 SCAR 30 rd steel mags.  Work as they should and are painted FDE/BLK.

I still prefer to carry USGI alum. mags and P-Mags.

CD
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think his point was that you should make the cheaper component the sacrificial component.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a few steel AR Stoner 30-round mags.  All of them have been reliable in my 6920.  Mine are the more recent ASC variety and not the older ones made by C Products.  Midway has them on sale from time to time.  There is also a review available on YouTube by Mrgunsngear Channel.  Below is a link to them at Midway.

AR Stoner

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Try the steel Beretta ARX-100/AR-15 magazines. > http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-universal-ar-15-30-round-magazine/c80018p/

They have a phosphate finish and include a steel anti-tilt follower which also has a phosphate finish.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Try the steel Beretta ARX-100/AR-15 magazines. > http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-universal-ar-15-30-round-magazine/c80018p/

They have a phosphate finish and include a steel anti-tilt follower which also has a phosphate finish.
View Quote

Quite pricey at $39 a piece for all I can see is a steel STANAG pattern mag.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't say I disagree. Though if all that matters is that it must be a reliable steel mag, it's another option.

Even though I like the steel Beretta mags, I still like my NHMTG aluminum mags better. Though the Beretta mags do come apart a little easier, they still require a punch to remove the floor plate and since the mags are phosphate finished steel you should keep them oiled so they won't rust.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have plenty of Pmags and the (even better) Lancer L5AWM's... now I'm interested in adding steel 5.56 mags to the mix. I'm not very informed about steel AR mags, or who makes them. From what I gather, the popular D&H mags are aluminum? Can someone guide me to some GOOD steel mags (even better if they're Teflon coated)? I saw some Blackhawk stainless steel ones today, but I think they were a little high priced ($19/ea) so I didn't buy. Any links to good steel mags (again, would prefer Teflon coated, but not absolute)? Thanks for any help!
View Quote

Blackhawk steel magazines....cabelas online $9.99
I bought 100 of them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
...Mako E-Landers and Lancers are the only options I know of for stainless steel mags....
View Quote

Lancers..?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought a 12 pack of C Products stainless steel blackened 30 round mags from CDNN for $90.  They have worked perfectly for me so far in at least 3 or 4 range sessions. The follower looks like it may be made by Magpul for them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I bought a 12 pack of C Products stainless steel blackened 30 round mags from CDNN for $90.  They have worked perfectly for me so far in at least 3 or 4 range sessions. The follower looks like it may be made by Magpul for them.
View Quote

No, the follower is a blatant RIPOFF!!!

For that price you could have purchased QUALITY magazines
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Lancers..?
View Quote

My bad, Lancers don't really apply here as they're poly body mags with steel feed lips.

Forgot about HK & Beretta AR mags. I know Beretta pistol mags are actually made by Mecgar, would be curious to know who's making the Beretta & HK AR mags.But at $40 a pop, too rich for me.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Larry claimed on this site while he was a sponsor that he designed that follower but I was never able to get the details as to if he really did.  Then again Larry is a veteran and we know they never lie
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top