Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2015 9:59:00 PM EDT
Is the QPQ process not something that can be applied to sheet metal, or is it just not practical? Cause it seems like it would be the ideal finish for magazines.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
because aluminum, and furthermore, why?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
There are stainless steel mags...

Because it's more durable than any of the coatings on the market that I know of, and also serves as a lubricant.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:24:55 AM EDT
[#3]
mags are disposable.
steel is heavy
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I have stainless steel mags, and they're not that heavy. People put much heavier things even further out on their rails, so it's not a huge issue. And the fact that it's a case hardening process and not an actual coating means that there's no extra weight added.

... And if mags are disposable, then so are barrels. They use QPQ on those too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]
There are nitrided AR magazines, they didn't seem to sell very well and I thought they were discontinued but still out there.

Fusil was the name.

example:
http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=MAG-FUS%2030
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#6]
It's probably just me trying to categorize people again, but I think it's funny how the ones who swear by GI mags seem to shun anything new they don't understand (probably explains the nitride mag situation), yet the ones that swear by plastic mags are the exact opposite and are the first to buy anything that looks cool (hex mags) regardless of how cheap they are.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
When they first came on the market they were very expensive, like $35 a piece or something like that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's probably just me trying to categorize people again, but I think it's funny how the ones who swear by GI mags seem to shun anything new they don't understand (probably explains the nitride mag situation), yet the ones that swear by plastic mags are the exact opposite and are the first to buy anything that looks cool (hex mags) regardless of how cheap they are.
View Quote

Yeah, I swear by mags manufactured by Okay Industries.

Why?

Because they have supplied hundreds of thousands of mags to the .mil and have a sterling track record vs some new company swearing they have the latest and greatest mag but are totally unproven in combat.

When I go into harms way my rounds are fed by Okay Industries!
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Can you melonite aluminum?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
No, I'm pretty sure it's only for ferrous metals.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why?

Because they have supplied hundreds of thousands of mags to the .mil and have a sterling track record vs some new company swearing they have the latest and greatest mag but are totally unproven in combat.

View Quote

Nothing wrong with that. But if they released melonite, nitride, or some other uncommon coating for the same price, would you buy them?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#12]
When mine wear down I just re spray them with a new coat of dry lube.  Dry lube is a great coating for magazines.  I just don't see the need for any other coating unless it is for appearance.  After all you want the mag to wear and not your magwell right?
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#13]
After some reading, I guess nitriding is close to the same process, the main difference being that qpq goes deeper into the metal. But since it's only sheet metal and not a bcg or barrel, nitriding seems sufficient.

Meh. Mind got wandering about crappy magazine coatings, even though I use pmags.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

When mine wear down I just re spray them with a new coat of dry lube.  Dry lube is a great coating for magazines.  I just don't see the need for any other coating unless it is for appearance.  After all you want the mag to wear and not your magwell right?
View Quote
Of course I have came accross at least a couple guys who had mags that were probably worth more than the lower they put them in... So maybe not.

If there is a market for it someone will make it.  Is it practical...I would tend to think not-but that is just my opinion.  Your gun, your gear, your prerogative!

I too have made plenty of purchases that others(and sometimes myself included) would say are not practical.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with that. But if they released melonite, nitride, or some other uncommon coating for the same price, would you buy them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

They are already hard anodized (type III), that's about the gold standard for aluminum unless someone can figure out a cheap reliable method to do DLC and considering it's still not being offered for receivers I dont see that happening.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are nitrided AR magazines, they didn't seem to sell very well and I thought they were discontinued but still out there.

Fusil was the name.

example:
http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=MAG-FUS%2030
View Quote

yes. and they do run.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:44:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is the QPQ process not something that can be applied to sheet metal, or is it just not practical? Cause it seems like it would be the ideal finish for magazines.
View Quote

Hi,

It's been done and been on the market for awhile.  The CPD SS magazine's are QPQ process Melonited 0.02"  SS alloy.  The problem with Melonited magazines are that they have to be built to allow for metal creep during the treatment which is almost an art.  If not done right the magazines tend to bind after treatment.  CPD Inc. developed a new assembly process that fixes the binding issue after heat treatment.

The advantage of a SS QPQ magazines are that they‘re extremely strong and they survived tests that crushed an AK magazine.   The new CPD Inc. 7.62x39 magazines are both Melonited and tefloned,  I managed to get some 30 round versions and they are excellent magazines.:-)

Best Regards:
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because steel magazines are a thin part, and QPQ happens at around 1,000*F. The resulting product may warp, be brittle, etc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hi,

It's been done and been on the market for awhile. The CPD SS magazine's are QPQ process Melonited 0.02"  SS alloy.  The problem with Melonited magazines are that they have to be built to allow for metal creep during the treatment which is almost an art.  If not done right the magazines tend to bind after treatment.  CPD Inc. developed a new assembly process that fixes the binding issue after heat treatment.

The advantage of a SS QPQ magazines are that they‘re extremely strong and they survived tests that crushed an AK magazine.   The new CPD Inc. 7.62x39 magazines are both Melonited and tefloned,  I managed to get some 30 round versions and they are excellent magazines.:-)

Best Regards:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,

It's been done and been on the market for awhile. The CPD SS magazine's are QPQ process Melonited 0.02"  SS alloy.  The problem with Melonited magazines are that they have to be built to allow for metal creep during the treatment which is almost an art.  If not done right the magazines tend to bind after treatment.  CPD Inc. developed a new assembly process that fixes the binding issue after heat treatment.

Best Regards:

Where did you see that? I just went to their site, and they did not claim to be.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Barretts .50 mags are melonited. They went to meloniting because they had a scrap rate that was so high using the previous case hardening method for so many years.
The scrap rate went from about 15-17% to about 2%.

Really don't see the benefit of melonited 5.56 mags. It would probably work for 6.8 or .308 mags that were spring steel like the Barrett mags.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Where did you see that? I just went to their site, and they did not claim to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,

Best Regards:

Hi,

Check  CPD's website CPD INC LINK.  The coating is black T.  Marlube was good in its day, but Black T is excellent today.  I realize opinions may vary, but Teflon bonded on a molecular level to the metal does seem to be and advancement over dry film and paint type coatings.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hi,

Check  CPD's website CPD INC LINK.  The coating is black T.  Marlube was good in its day, but Black T is excellent today.  I realize opinions may vary, but Teflon bonded on a molecular level to the metal does seem to be and advancement over dry film and paint type coatings.

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,

Best Regards:

Hi,

Thanks

BUT, the problem with that is a Gold Plated Turd is still a TURD.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Barretts .50 mags are melonited. They went to meloniting because they had a scrap rate that was so high using the previous case hardening method for so many years.
The scrap rate went from about 15-17% to about 2%.

Really don't see the benefit of melonited 5.56 mags. It would probably work for 6.8 or .308 mags that were spring steel like the Barrett mags.
View Quote

Hi,

The advantage of a Isonite QPQ/Melonite SS magazine is that properly done you can use much thinner (0.02') steel vs heavier (0.04") sheet to form the magazine.  You get significant weight savings with a  Isonite QPQ/Melonite SS magazine and chemical resistance.  It's still not as light as aluminum for magazines but it is more resistant to deformantion.  Having qualified and used aluminum mags since collage I still use Milspec aluminum 5.56 mags and still pick them up when I get a good deal, but I'm using melonited SS more often now, YMMV.

Regards:  
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top