AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We are currently sold out of both the coupled and non-coupled mags, but once this next batch is made, we will offer some discounts for you guys to get some and test them out. All we ask is that you all give them a try, we know you will be impressed.
View Quote

Make 20 round straight body mags please
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm not sure we can do 5 for $30. But we will talk it over and see about doing some kind of deal for a certain number of forum members for tests....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NHMGT mag on a concrete floor. Won't drop free now. I think I am done on AL mags.

It's time to come over to the plastic side....

You can drop our mags from 20ft on the feedlips on concrete and it won't hurt them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4uvGtDdMZ8

I'm going to have to try out your mags since you're so sure of their durability.

How about offer a 5 pack deal for $30 shipped to us Arfcommers. Then we can torture test them so to speak and post about them in your industry forum.

That way you all get great real world feedback on one of your products performance and some of the skeptics may be convinced that you do in fact have the superior mag.

I can't wait to try your Glock mag too.

I'm not sure we can do 5 for $30. But we will talk it over and see about doing some kind of deal for a certain number of forum members for tests....

I'd be interested in testing your mags.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]
USED OKAY magazines off the EE for around 6 bucks shipped is about the best magazine you can buy for the average range shooter,  the ones I have purchased looked worn out but functioned just fine.  

JMHO

but im not tier one either
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Our mag is not a pmag. It will not.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Our mag is not a pmag. It will not.....

nobody said it WAS a Pmag. get back when your prices are better.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I accidentally dropped a loaded 20 round c-products mag on concrete and it spewed all the rounds out because the seam split...
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]

He specifically quoted me making a comment about how our mags will easily outlast a GI mag. He then posted pics of several broken pmags. I was pointing out that there is no reason to even compare our mags to a pmag when it comes to toughness because they are not even in the same league.

As for our prices, as I have pointed out many times before, we are right inline with a pmag. Our non coupled mag has an MSRP of $17.99, a gen 3 windowed pmag is $17.95 MSRP. That is right where they should be. No need to adjust our price.
View Quote

What's the actual retail price on both?

Even if your mags are "better" you're still only selling to the very rich or to those who are just trying them out.  No average Joe is stocking up on your mags, especially when they haven't been around too long.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Look guys, I don't think anyone questions that Magpul makes a reliable AR mag., and we certainly aren't trying to get into a pissing contest on the forum. However, I do feel it necessarily to reply to the comment about impact strength vs tensile strength. I feel this is one of those times that we have to agree to disagree. You guys think your way of making a mag is the best, and obviously we feel our way is better.

With regards to tensile strength, I assume you are really talking about rigidity or the elastic modulus. We have found that as long as the material is rigid enough to keep its form and present the rounds in the correct geometry to the weapon you will end up with a perfectly reliable magazine. The material being extra rigid above and beyond what is needed to maintain proper feeding geometry is unnecessary and provides no additional benefits with regards to function. The example I will use is a steel mag vs an aluminum GI mag. The steel mag is going to be more rigid for sure, but since the aluminum is plenty rigid enough to maintain its geometry, you won't see an improvement in performance, as it relates to feeding, in a steel vs aluminum.

Our mag is not as rigid as a pmag, but it is plenty rigid enough to hold its shape and feeding geometry. Plus, and this part is really important, when our material encounters an impact (or other force) that deforms its shape momentarily, it has plenty of elasticity to absorb said force and them promptly return right back to its original proper geometry. That way when you drop your mag accidentally it won't break, crack, or have any other damage. With our mag it as if the drop never even happened. And while we know that the primary function of an AR magazine is to reliably feed the weapon, not to be a hammer, we also feel that accidentally dropping your mag from 4-6 feet shouldn't mean that it develops a crack and needs to be replaced.

I feel like I have explained why we make our mags the way we do. I have much respect for the Pmag as well as other mags like the Lancer. We are not in any way saying the pmag is a bad mag, because we all know, it has proven itself. We just feel we have improved the AR magazine to be more durable, see through, have an integrated coupler, along with several other small features.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our mag is not a pmag. It will not break...

nobody said it WAS a Pmag. get back when your prices are better.

He specifically quoted me making a comment about how our mags will easily outlast a GI mag. He then posted pics of several broken pmags. I was pointing out that there is no reason to even compare our mags to a pmag when it comes to toughness because they are not even in the same league.

As for our prices, as I have pointed out many times before, we are right inline with a pmag. Our non coupled mag has an MSRP of $17.99, a gen 3 windowed pmag is $17.95 MSRP. That is right where they should be. No need to adjust our price.

Please read our in depth explanation magazine design in this thread. It explains why we build a magazine with the primary mission to function reliability (as opposed to basing it's effectiveness as a hammer)

In our reliability testing we found there is a critical balance between impact strength and tensile strength.

In the case of the PMag we have a proven blend of impact vs tensile strength to gain the maximum reliability with substantial resistance to damage. Watch the PMag M3 test videos and see how much damage a M3 PMag can sustain without issue. Even if damaged visually the a PMag M3 is specifically designed to run effectively for thousands of rounds until it can be replaced.

Look guys, I don't think anyone questions that Magpul makes a reliable AR mag., and we certainly aren't trying to get into a pissing contest on the forum. However, I do feel it necessarily to reply to the comment about impact strength vs tensile strength. I feel this is one of those times that we have to agree to disagree. You guys think your way of making a mag is the best, and obviously we feel our way is better.

With regards to tensile strength, I assume you are really talking about rigidity or the elastic modulus. We have found that as long as the material is rigid enough to keep its form and present the rounds in the correct geometry to the weapon you will end up with a perfectly reliable magazine. The material being extra rigid above and beyond what is needed to maintain proper feeding geometry is unnecessary and provides no additional benefits with regards to function. The example I will use is a steel mag vs an aluminum GI mag. The steel mag is going to be more rigid for sure, but since the aluminum is plenty rigid enough to maintain its geometry, you won't see an improvement in performance, as it relates to feeding, in a steel vs aluminum.

Our mag is not as rigid as a pmag, but it is plenty rigid enough to hold its shape and feeding geometry. Plus, and this part is really important, when our material encounters an impact (or other force) that deforms its shape momentarily, it has plenty of elasticity to absorb said force and them promptly return right back to its original proper geometry. That way when you drop your mag accidentally it won't break, crack, or have any other damage. With our mag it as if the drop never even happened. And while we know that the primary function of an AR magazine is to reliably feed the weapon, not to be a hammer, we also feel that accidentally dropping your mag from 4-6 feet shouldn't mean that it develops a crack and needs to be replaced.

I feel like I have explained why we make our mags the way we do. I have much respect for the Pmag as well as other mags like the Lancer. We are not in any way saying the pmag is a bad mag, because we all know, it has proven itself. We just feel we have improved the AR magazine to be more durable, see through, have an integrated coupler, along with several other small features.

Interesting, though have you conducted any tests in extreme environments?  IE both for impact and function in extreme cold, heat, sand, water, mud, etc?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#12]
The most abuse I have ever given magazines was dropping them during matches...

No Pmag, lancer, troy, or USGI has failed me yet. I ditched everything except a few USGI and Pmags but I am willing to purchase a few ETS magazines to try, if they work I might buy more. I wouldn't mind having a clear magazine for competitions and would willingly give them a try if they will fit into my Eagle Ind. m4 chest rig.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:20:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, -60 to 180 F. We have also made sure our mags are not harmed by chemicals, even DEET (very hard on clear plastics), And yest to other rough environments such as dust, dirt, mud, sand and such. We know that our testing only goes so far towards convincing people of our mags performance. All we ask is that you guys give them a try. We are confident you will be impressed. If you aren't happy, we will take them back. We also offer a lifetime warranty because we know that our mags are tough enough that they won't break.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting, though have you conducted any tests in extreme environments?  IE both for impact and function in extreme cold, heat, sand, water, mud, etc?

Yes, -60 to 180 F. We have also made sure our mags are not harmed by chemicals, even DEET (very hard on clear plastics), And yest to other rough environments such as dust, dirt, mud, sand and such. We know that our testing only goes so far towards convincing people of our mags performance. All we ask is that you guys give them a try. We are confident you will be impressed. If you aren't happy, we will take them back. We also offer a lifetime warranty because we know that our mags are tough enough that they won't break.

I did see IV8888's test of your mags, and I do have to say you clearly make good magazines. But I do wish Eric would've stuck an M3 pmag in the radiator fan after yours to compare the carnage.

I also saw his combined test with all of the mags including yours, but I specifically want to see both side by side with the radiator fan test. To see how your polymers differ to that kind of abuse.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll test the heck out of a mag and post video.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, we don't fear your rock drop. In fact, we welcome it. You won't break our mag.

I'll test the heck out of a mag and post video.

I just bought an ETS mag, a Gen3 Pmag, a lancer, and a hex mag from rainier arms. Not sure I can make videos of all the drops. I own D&H and Brownells mags so I'll use new ones of those too.

I will drop them, throw them, and if they don't break... run over them with the truck.

Anyone who wants to watch is welcome to fly in to Nashville or fly me out for some unbiased magazine abuse.

Also, if anyone in TN has a JLG lift we can use, we can drop them from high. (I travel the state for work)

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top