Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2015 5:28:52 PM EDT
Being a guitar player I have a few soldering irons around for electronic repairs.  I heard about doing stippling to gun parts and decided why not give it a shot!!  I decided to test it out on my Pmag figuring if I screw up, oh well, not much down the drain.  I'm actually really impressed with how it looks and how easy it was to do.  Yes it takes a while, I believe the whole mag took a little over a hour and a  half.  But I'm really impressed with how grippy the mag is now.  It's night and day difference picking the stippled mag up compared to a stock one.  I may progress to my handgun, CZ P07, and do the backstrap and maybe the front grip as well, but I may practice on a few more pieces first.  

Here's a in progress shot

" />

And here's the finished product

" />
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought you were talking about ceilings.

eta: not sure how I got here, thought I was in GD. I must have hit "Newest threads".  

Looks good OP. makes me want to try.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice job, looks good.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good to me!
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Not a stippling fan, but that is a pretty darn clean job. Very uniform, and you stayed in the lines. Good job.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought you were talking about ceilings.
View Quote

<image removed..........dpmmn>

ETA: sorry, didn't realize I was in a tech forum.  

OP, nice job. I might have to try that myself. Does the mag seem to be much grippier? Some folks knock it down some with some sand paper if it's too rough / too sharp.

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
It is very grippy now, but not to the point of disliking it, think course grade sandpaper.  I would say the only downside to doing this is when you put the mag in a sleeve it might be a little trickier to pull out because the stippling will resist a little bit.

Here's another attempt with my FDE mag, I went for a more angled stipple, kinda scale like.  It turned out a bit smoother than the black one, but still way more tacky than the stock plastic.

Here's my attempt on the backstrap of my pistol as well.

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Just personal preference.......I like the original stippling job the best. Never been a fan of the "patterned" type stippling. +1 for neatness and function though!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]
How long did it take you to do the pmags?
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice job.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks good, I have been finding the black stuff always looks a little better.
The FDE gets lil burnt discoloration spots if I don't keep the tip very clean with scotch brite.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good, I have been finding the black stuff always looks a little better. The FDE gets lil burnt discoloration spots if I don't keep the tip very clean with scotch brite.
View Quote

Sometimes you just need to use the discoloration to your advantage. That + a little #2 pencil lead

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top