Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2015 4:41:24 AM EDT
I have a couple old 30 rnd steel mags with black followers giving me issues.  I'm hoping I can replace the followers and make them work.  I've read that the tan follower is best but won't work with my existing springs so I'd like to know what to shop for and if there's a suggestion on where to get them I'd be interested as well..  I'm in Ca. so walking into a store and buying better modern mags more than 10rnds. is not an option and while I could buy them elsewhere, I want mags that I can pass off as being repaired pre-ban mags.  Yes, I have considered calling U-haul so all magazines would be legal but it's not an option at this time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:17:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I've always used Magpul followers and find them to be much better than anything the mag companies install(haven't tried the tans yet though).

They're readily available online...I think I've bought the majority of mine from Botach.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for the Magpuls. IDK why you would roll with anything else.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]
+2 for Magpuls.  Should be fine in CA.  Consider replacing the springs too at the same time.

Some folks like Elander because of the color options.  No personal experience.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you guys.  Ordered a three pack of Magpuls from Botach, $6.20 out the door shipped, checkout with paypal was quick & easy.  I'm happily surprised any part could be had for $2 ea., especially the best one.  Next chance I get to tug the trigger I'll report in with results.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I would guess your problem lies more so with your springs than your followers.

If you don't see an improvement, give these a shot

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazine-parts/magazine-springs/ar-15-m16-30rd-ss-magazine-spring-prod41777.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15zz1zzM4
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#6]
New springs and Magpul followers should get you back in business.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Never mind

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Just re-read your OP and noticed the word "steel" which I apparently glossed over the first time.

Are these the common pre-ban steel mags which originally came with a little "England" sticker?  If so, the stock followers were even worse than the old black followers, and the stock springs were known to be pretty weak.  The floorplate tabs are larger and in a slightly different location than USGI aluminum mags, but Magpul followers after Gen 1 should work with them.  The mag bodies seemed to work well other than many seemed to have a burr on the mag catch hole.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just re-read your OP and noticed the word "steel" which I apparently glossed over the first time.

Are these the common pre-ban steel mags which originally came with a little "England" sticker?  If so, the stock followers were even worse than the old black followers, and the stock springs were known to be pretty weak.  The floorplate tabs are larger and in a slightly different location than USGI aluminum mags, but Magpul followers after Gen 1 should work with them.  The mag bodies seemed to work well other than many seemed to have a burr on the mag catch hole.
View Quote

I just picked up some of the juggernaut followers from Brownells to install in these mags and they really smoothed things up
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

No idea about a sticker.  One is La Belle Ind. the other is Okay Industries, no other markings.  I believe they are these---G.I. contract 30 round. Black or green plastic followers. These are the most common M16 magazines on the surplus market. (Countless millions made.) Circa 1975 to 1994. Marked with contractor's name and usually location (city) on floorplate. Anodized finish. Contractors included: Adventureline, Parsons Precision Products, Labelle Industries, Sanchez (DSI), Center Industries, Okay Industries, Cooper Industries, and a few others. Starting around 1992, some of the contractors began using soft green plastic followers. (Not to be confused with the shiny hard green plastic followers used on the ealiest Colt-made 30 rounders.) Miltary contract 30s are fairly easy to find at gun shows. Usually $9 to $25, depending on condition.  One worked better than the other but I forgot to mark them.  With the borrowed mag (a plastic 10 round) I had no issues for 3-4 refills then ran outa ammo.  My mags were hit & miss on how many rounds they'd feed before jamming; one would get several rounds the other one was often a one shot deal between clearings.  I believe the rifle is working properly and it's just a mag issue.  -First AR, and first time shooting it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Your mags are not steel. They're aluminum. You need to replace the springs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Your mags are not steel. They're aluminum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Your mags are not steel. They're aluminum.

Definitely this.

Quoted:You need to replace the springs.

Probably this as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Your mags are not steel. They're aluminum. You need to replace the springs.
View Quote

Shit, you're right.  I've never been fooled buy a metal before.  I installed the followers and just loading them they felt better.  I'll look into springs if they don't work right.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Magpul

And consider replacing the springs.
[/thread]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:02:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone recommended magpul yet?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 2:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
What advantage do the magpul followers have over tan followers?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

They work with standard springs for one.  The mil tan followers have their own special spring.

Two, on general principle, the tan followers copied Magpul so folks try to support the innovative private company instead of the gov funded ripoff.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They work with standard springs for one.  The mil tan followers have their own special spring.

Two, on general principle, the tan followers copied Magpul so folks try to support the innovative private company instead of the gov funded ripoff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect.  The "special spring" is an advantage.  It locks onto the follower in a way to help keep it from tilting.  The tan follower doesn't "tilt" on the spring like the standard followers do.  The follower and spring are designed to work together.  As far as "copying" a private company, the military began to improve their followers in the 90's.  The green follower that they first designed was simply a temporary fix.  The tan follower/spring was their ultimate solution.     The military started working on their improved  follower in the  90's so who is copying whom?????
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top