BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear the coating caused problems, let us know when you get the problem ironed out and are ready to ship.  I'm looking forward to giving these a test in my 7.62x39 and my 6mm AR.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm getting texts from SHOT  
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:01:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By backbencher:
I'm getting texts from SHOT  
View Quote

Tonight's event went very well. Sorry for no video from me cause I was busy supervising the range. Running multi-caliber side by side is no joke. Thanks God no accident! Hopefully other media person would fill in the picture and video, if there are any.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:07:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Very pleased you pulled this off @ SHOT, and hope Magpul makes you a generous offer that includes a ballistics laboratory.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:12:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cag40Navy] [#5]
Looks like your mag has gotten the attention of TFB. I only usually go there for SHOT news but its awesome to see your mag got on as a update!

Linky
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Longziz,  

Good to hear you're getting some notice.

Since you are being so generous by including me in the mag test I will offer this piece of design advice with your mag concerning the .458 Socom. Just from your photos I can see an obvious tweak needed.

The  forward edge of the mag just below the tip of a loaded cartridge, needs to either be beveled or a radius cut in it to accommodate bullet profiles like the Remington 405 grain soft point.
The reason being this large soft exposed lead area, and hardcore .458 shooter use all lead bullets as well, will get shaved by the flat sharp edge of the mag. Shaved enough to create real feeding problems after a couple of rounds.
This is one loading I intend to test in your mag.
I have altered several metal and polymer mags to accommodate this bullet profile. They still feed .223 just fine.
The 405 Rem SP is a very popular bullet since it can be bought in bulk and is relatively inexpensive compared to say the Barnes 300gr TTSX .458. Both of which are devastating on wild hogs.

Looking forward to giving you some real world test data.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I can do durability / impact testing, etc.  Can also test it in 18" rifled gas barrels, and Daewoos.  Contact me if interested.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Last night's event went well. We shoot about 3K ammo in all five calibers, and featured some known bloger and editor such as Ian McCollum, (he didn't shoot because the range was crowded), his first impression can be found on today's TFB article; and Editor Choat from the Small Arms Review. I was mastering the range, so I didn't have the full picture of the attendants identity. However, Mr. Choat's command was the best summarize of people's feel of Unimag. He said:"I wasn't entirely impressed.........................until I shot it".

I brought 300 rounds of 6.5 Grendel and 700 rounds of 6.8 SPC, and these two are the first to be run out, and not a single stoppage. There was a scare that one loaded a 6.8SPC to the 6.5 Grendel AR though, luckily, it wasn't able to be chambered.

The magazines used were part of the 120 that I finished in the last batch, with a new spring. I am having even a newer spring in order, hopefully it would solve the problem that the distortion and mis-stamp that the current test mag have. If you guys are NOT picky about a magazine that is not drop free, I may be able to ship the test mag in a week or so.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Longziz:
Last night's event went well. We shoot about 3K ammo in all five calibers, and featured some known bloger and editor such as Ian McCollum, (he didn't shoot because the range was crowded), his first impression can be found on today's TFB article; and Editor Choat from the Small Arms Review. I was mastering the range, so I didn't have the full picture of the attendants identity. However, Mr. Choat's command was the best summarize of people's feel of Unimag. He said:"I wasn't entirely impressed.........................until I shot it".

I brought 300 rounds of 6.5 Grendel and 700 rounds of 6.8 SPC, and these two are the first to be run out, and not a single stoppage. There was a scare that one loaded a 6.8SPC to the 6.5 Grendel AR though, luckily, it wasn't able to be chambered.

The magazines used were part of the 120 that I finished in the last batch, with a new spring. I am having even a newer spring in order, hopefully it would solve the problem that the distortion and mis-stamp that the current test mag have. If you guys are NOT picky about a magazine that is not drop free, I may be able to ship the test mag in a week or so.

http://68forums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12736&d=1422061704
View Quote

i am not, i am interested in feeding drop free can be fixed easily
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#10]
are the magazine bodies different from USGI other than the dot matrix stamped in the side?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:54:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By D_CRISIS:
are the magazine bodies different from USGI other than the dot matrix stamped in the side?
View Quote

Quite different, so much so I own a separate patent for the body shell alone.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#12]
It was a pleasure meeting you at shot show.  And thank you for taking time for us to meet.

The bodies are different and I am very intrigued by this design.   The follower. . .  Well wow is all I can say.  

I am looking forward to trying the unimag out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I shoot a lot of 5.45 out of my AR, I'm very interested in the 5.45 test results!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:53:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uniquesnd] [#14]
I have been away at training for my job so have not been able to check this thread for awhile but I am happy to hear your SHOTSHow  demo went well and I am
patiently waiting for my test mag!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in no hurry, I can wait until you have the kinks worked out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#16]
What's the max COAL that will fit in the mag?

I have a 5.56 and a 6.8 SPC. The 6.8 SPC guys like to have mags that we can load out to 2.305" or more.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Any plans to possibly make a version of the followers to convert USGI magazines?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:11:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By memsu:
What's the max COAL that will fit in the mag?

I have a 5.56 and a 6.8 SPC. The 6.8 SPC guys like to have mags that we can load out to 2.305" or more.
View Quote

The mag has interior dimension of 2.31"~2.32" wide right now. The final is not a done deal yet cause one side need some rework. Don't think it will change that dimension though, but I don't want to give out false information before it is settled.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:13:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Any plans to possibly make a version of the followers to convert USGI magazines?
View All Quotes

The USGI magazine will not work as multi-caliber magazine, even if my follower would fit into the mag. If it is so, then there is no point for me to design and build a mag shell from the ground up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:15:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SC-Texas:
It was a pleasure meeting you at shot show.  And thank you for taking time for us to meet.

The bodies are different and I am very intrigued by this design.   The follower. . .  Well wow is all I can say.  

I am looking forward to trying the unimag out.
View Quote

It is also my pleasure of meeting you, sir! I just heard the new spring will come in this week. My finger is crossed...
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:58:10 AM EDT
[#21]
The new spring coming in today does not work as I hoped, too strong. I am flying out Wednesday to the spring company to solve the problem. Will report back once I get this sorted out.

Other than that, I went out to shoot with Carlos from Tunas Firearm Sales/TFS as scheduled. I was using a fairly old spring design that the new spring should be improved on. Will post video later showing shooting 7.62X39, 223 and 5.45X39 just fine. The problem with this old spring is that the spring will bind up after certain rounds of 223 ammo inserted, which makes the last few rounds to reach capacity like mission impossible. The new spring suppose to fix that. I got to try Carlos's full auto lower, and he got to try my mag for the first time. Good trade!
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Keep pounding.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Cool, thanks for the update.  I didn't know you specifically wanted full auto testing as well, I think I can manage some of that too, since we have FA lowers at work, and I should be able to put my 5.45 and 300blk uppers on them.

Just picked up some of the Barnes 300blk out Walmart in the white and green Remington box, so now I have 2 different brands of 300blk to try as well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd love to be a tester. Let me know if you need me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, the past week I was tweaking the combination of the main spring and follower to see if I can improve the 7.62X39 WPA ammo issue. It seems to me that the result is mixed. Sometime it works flawlessly but other time it is problematic. The magazine shell I am using is still the old batch that I made for the beta test, one side with a very sallow groove that almost useless. The supposed "correct" shell is still weeks away.

I am thinking to send out these mag to you guys anyway to have more test data collected on various AR platform to see the best combination. I will mail extra spring with the mag to let you have a say on which one is best working for you. I would have to ask you to document which ammo you are using with which spring used in the magazine. How about that? The current issue is only related to 7.62X39 WPA ammo. All other caliber I tested is just fine.

Please reply to me if you are willing to test the mag at the current configuration.

Thanks everybody!

Jing

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BlackRifleJuju:
View Quote

Yes, I think I have extra for more tester. Please stay tuned for my further announcement. Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:54:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lucifer_Sam] [#27]
I've got a 7.62x39 AR, and a 5.56, of course. I'd be willing to try out the mag. My x39 upper is pretty finicky, though, so I'm not sure if it would be the best candidate for your testing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Yes, I think I have extra for more tester. Please stay tuned for my further announcement. Thanks!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlackRifleJuju:

If that's the case, please keep me in mind.  I didn't make it in for the original group but still would like to test the mag with 5.45, 223, and possibly others.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm willing to test the mag you have, but don't have a 7.62x39 upper to test on, so I don't know if my results would be any benefit right now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:54:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I would like to know if any testing is going to happen with cartridges based on shortened .308 cases, such as .270 AR or .375 Reaper, and what kind of capacities we can expect.

Thanks.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:07:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Hellion-Productions:
I would like to know if any testing is going to happen with cartridges based on shortened .308 cases, such as .270 AR or .375 Reaper, and what kind of capacities we can expect.

Thanks.

Best,
JBR
View Quote

I'll be testing 6 BRX
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Been awhile since I checked this thread.  Hope you get everything worked out soon Longziz.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:

I'll be testing 6 BRX
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
Originally Posted By Hellion-Productions:

Thanks.

Best,
JBR

I'll be testing 6 BRX

Excellent.  Thanks.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Longziz,

I ended up selling my .300 blackout upper - I completely forgot about this test until after I sold it.  I still have my 6.5 Grendel and 5.56 uppers, but if you would like to offer the test magazine to someone else with more calibers to choose from I understand.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#35]
hope all is well and looking forward to testing one of these mags!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah me too! Smith 5.56 upper
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:43:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, new sample coming in last week, field test is encouraging. Since I have let you wait so long, one more week might not hurt. Tool maker will have press time for me next week, plus coating time, looks delivery of the second week of March. Again, sorry for delay, and keep my finger crossed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:32:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#38]
Originally Posted By Longziz:  Well, new sample coming in last week, field test is encouraging. Since I have let you wait so long, one more week might not hurt. Tool maker will have press time for me next week, plus coating time, looks delivery of the second week of March. Again, sorry for delay, and keep my finger crossed.
View Quote

Our fingers are crossed as well.  Once you've perfected this, you can turn your attention to the .308" AR compatibility issue:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/669426__308_AR_magazine_compatibility.html
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#39]
No rush, standing by.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Also no rush, been really cold here, so saving the ammo I would normally be shooting to shoot once the magazine gets here.  Also got my shorty 300blk upper, so now I have two of those to test it in, I know it shouldn't make a difference, but sometimes it does, so the more the merrier.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#41]
No rush here either.  We've gotten hit by several late season snows so its kept the temps way down and the ground too wet to really do the type of testing I want to do with this.  Take your time and get this thing right.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Just to keep this thread alive.  I recently came across some videos of your magazines and looked at your website.  I will just say I am biting at the chomps to see when you will start mass producing them and what the cost of them will be.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:12:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Just come back from my supplier. Seems that the distortion issue caused by coating high heat has been resolved. My coater will give me the final green light this Friday. Bring back 150 mag shell parts as well, looks like next week is crutch time!

A heat treated sample under throughout measurement. Never thought a shinny silver stainless steel would turn into gold color after the high heat.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 4:07:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Just come back from my supplier. Seems that the distortion issue caused by coating high heat has been resolved. My coater will give me the final green light this Friday. Bring back 150 mag shell parts as well, looks like next week is crutch time!

http://68forums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12974&d=1426143831

A heat treated sample under throughout measurement. Never thought a shinny silver stainless steel would turn into gold color after the high heat.

http://68forums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12975&d=1426144083
View Quote

Pictures not showing because they are linked to another forum that requires login
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Looking forward to it
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a few different ARs in 5.56 caliber and I will be happy to test several different types of ammo in them if you send me mags,

BUT, I also want to build a 7.62X39 AR pistol. Would you be interested in test data from that sort of gun? If so, I'll start collecting parts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#47]
If you need another tester, I would volunteer. I have multiple uppers and lowers in 556, 545 x 39, 6 x45, 762 x39, 762 x40, 300 AAC, 6.5 Grendel and 50 Beowulf. The lowers are multiple brands including polymer and uppers are different lengths from 7.5 pistol to 16". All work 100% with their respective mags and ammo, so any problems would be mag related. I have ammo for all in all the various configurations-HP, FMJ, SP and multiple weights. If I can help, let me know, and if a specific caliber would be better than another.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:28:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Longziz] [#48]
The coating sample coming in today, everything is what I expect it to be. The distortion issue is behind us now. The new tool and process solved the issue!

Started welding today and will continue tomorrow. Looking ship test sample next Friday or the Monday after the next . Stay tuned!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#49]
The coating sample coming in today, everything is what I expect it to be. The distortion issue is behind us now. The new tool and process solved the issue!

Started welding today and will continue tomorrow. Looking ship test sample next Friday or the Monday after the next . Stay tuned!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Can't wait.
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top