Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/15/2014 2:31:59 PM EDT
I've been told for long term storage when they are loaded, but what's long term.

Or are they just a pretty unnecessary nearly silly accessory.

I got a bunch that came with my original Pmags and I've been using them, but do I really need too?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I use them with the intention of keeping constant pressure off the mag lips. I have a few loaded without covers. Haven't had any problems yet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Magpul says the feed lips should not deform with long term storage but the cover is added protection.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never used them and never had any issues either.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#4]
When they first came out they were to keep ammo safe in transport, and to keep pressure off feed lips.

Now if you ask Magpul they say just to keep safe for transport, and they actually get mad if you ask if it's to keep pressure off the feed lips. They changed their mind on that one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I chuck them in the trash.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]
My plate carrier has been loaded with pmags for over a 2 years with no issues. I'm not worried about it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I use them for long term storage.  No idea if it helps or not.  Just know that in field use they will  not last long on the bottom.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:41:47 AM EDT
[#9]
If I have mags loaded that I know are going to stay that way for months or even longer I snap on the covers. If I was one of those guys that keeps lots of mags loaded in case of zombie apocalypse I would defintrly use them. I mainly use them to keep crap from getting in loaded mags when transporting them to the range.

The way I see it they definitely won't do the mags any harm and they may prevent some stress on the feed lips so why not use them...
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Magpul says they are not necessary but I put them back on after loading,I pretty sure I have OCD so I do it anyways but it cant hurt
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:11:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I drank the Kool-Aid and use dust covers on my PMAGs. Besides, without dust covers, you won't be able to do this when SHTF:

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:24:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I tie a couple of strands out of 550 cord to the dust covers and the other end to the mag pouch.

They are stored with no tension on the mag lips, but when I draw them from the mag pouch the leash pops the dust cover off... and I am good to go.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Most of my PMags that are intended for medium to long-term storage have the covers installed:

The mags that are with my bump-in-the-night carbine do not:

Incidentally, the 30rd mags that I've kept loaded for well over a decade are steel:

PMags didn't yet exist back when I loaded them
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Incidentally, the 30rd mags that I've kept loaded for well over a decade are steel:
http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/ammo_cans.jpg
View Quote

Steel or aluminum..?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
all I can say is that those of you who don't use them or throw them away are more than welcome to send them my way.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I drank the Kool-Aid and use dust covers on my PMAGs. Besides, without dust covers, you won't be able to do this when SHTF:
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b623/EdDinIL/Stuff/PMag2_zpsmhlf5who.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Steel or aluminum..?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steel or aluminum..?

The 20 rounders in that pic are aluminum, but the 30 rounders are steel

ETA: Some of you guys may remember the Teflon coated steel Brit mags that hit the market a couple of years before the AWB sunset. Those are the "rainy day" 30 rounders shown in the pic.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I have 5 I have kept loaded without the covers in my patrol bag for over 4 years. Only a occasional use for qualification and changing out the ammo.  Sitting in my patrol car baking, or freezing. Depending on the season.  No problems what so ever.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have 5 I have kept loaded without the covers in my patrol bag for over 4 years. Only a occasional use for qualification and changing out the ammo.  Sitting in my patrol car baking, or freezing. Depending on the season.  No problems what so ever.
View Quote

Same here

After dealing with Thermolds and Orlites in the eighties and early nineties, it took me until 2009 to finally give "plastic" mags another try. After suffering multiple durability issues previously I just didn't trust them, so I wasn't an early adopter when Magpul released their first polymer magazine.

Today, while I still stockpile a few USGI 30s and still rebuild Vietnam era USGI 20s the majority of the mags in my collection in aggregate are 30 round PMags. I have several Lancers and a few Surefire 60s, but the PMag 30 is my "go to" magazine.

My teenage daughter on the other hand strongly prefers straight PMag 20s. She has amassed a fairly large quantity of them for her AR and Sig Patrol.

My daughter's AR, along with her preferred magazine:

Range day:

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Earlier today  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/662826_Why_I_avoid_plastic_magazines__.html&page=4

I try not to lose them but don't worry about it if I do.  Until they are lost I will keep putting them back on there. Once lost I will not replace them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Magpul says the feed lips should not deform with long term storage but the cover is added protection.
View Quote

That's how I use them.....as added protection.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Hi,

My son used the Magpul generation 2 window magazines during his 2 deployments in Afghanistan & Iraq.  He used the covers to keep dust/sand out of the magazine. Dust and sand are big problems in the desert so I don't look as an unnecessary accessory.  I'm not a big fan of plastic magazines, but these covers help get the best performance out of these magazines in dusty, sandy areas.

Merry Christmas To All, and to all a Good night:
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:17:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I have 2 30's and a 20 that have been loaded, uncapped and untouched for six years now.

No drama.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hi,

My son used the Magpul generation 2 window magazines during his 2 deployments in Afghanistan & Iraq.  He used the covers to keep dust/sand out of the magazine. Dust and sand are big problems in the desert so I don't look as an unnecessary accessory.  I'm not a big fan of plastic magazines, but these covers help get the best performance out of these magazines in dusty, sandy areas.

Merry Christmas To All, and to all a Good night:
View Quote

They were handy for that, but we lost most of them when we popped the top off.  No time to stop and put them away.  Sometimes we could but sometimes we couldn't. Here in Ohio it isn't that much of a problem. If I lived in the south West I would try to keep them on until needed.  We had to clean the inside of our GI mags about once a week.  Not really a problem as we had the time but I would have rather spent it doing something else.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Same here

After dealing with Thermolds and Orlites in the eighties and early nineties, it took me until 2009 to finally give "plastic" mags another try. After suffering multiple durability issues previously I just didn't trust them, so I wasn't an early adopter when Magpul released their first polymer magazine.

Today, while I still stockpile a few USGI 30s and still rebuild Vietnam era USGI 20s the majority of the mags in my collection in aggregate are 30 round PMags. I have several Lancers and a few Surefire 60s, but the PMag 30 is my "go to" magazine.

My teenage daughter on the other hand strongly prefers straight PMag 20s. She has amassed a fairly large quantity of them for her AR and Sig Patrol.

http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6920_Ash.jpg

Range day:
http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/range1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here

http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/6920_Ash.jpg

Range day:
http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/range1.jpg

Can you tell me about that forend?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:21:32 AM EDT
[#27]
double
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

ETA: Some of you guys may remember the Teflon coated steel Brit mags that hit the market a couple of years before the AWB sunset. Those are the "rainy day" 30 rounders shown in the pic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steel or aluminum..?

Hahah, I remember those!  12+ years ago, these were "the shit" and considered top of the line at the time.  Steel SA80 magazines "upgraded" with the "anti tilt" green followers!  Much more durable and reliable than the fragile surplus aluminum magazines available at the time.  I wasn't even into 5.56 or the AR platform at the time, but I remember getting some for my buddy who just got his first AR so he could have some "quality mags"!  They were considered cheap at the time too at around $12 - $15 each.  

We are really spoiled when it comes to quality mags these days.  I wonder if those old steel euro mags are available anywhere?  I wouldn't mind picking up a couple for nostalgic purposes.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Phb1gt, those are old school Surefire M500 forends, more info HERE

Quoted:
Hahah, I remember those!  12+ years ago, these were "the shit" and considered top of the line at the time.  Steel SA80 magazines "upgraded" with the "anti tilt" green followers!  Much more durable and reliable than the fragile surplus aluminum magazines available at the time.  I wasn't even into 5.56 or the AR platform at the time, but I remember getting some for my buddy who just got his first AR so he could have some "quality mags"!  They were considered cheap at the time too at around $12 - $15 each.  

We are really spoiled when it comes to quality mags these days.  I wonder if those old steel euro mags are available anywhere?  I wouldn't mind picking up a couple for nostalgic purposes.

Yep, those are the ones

Think I paid around $25/ea for my first batch of Brit mags. While that sounds like a lot by today's standards, I was just happy to find brand new mags for less than $75/ea.

The followers in most of mine have been upgraded twice. They all got USGI green followers when I originally bought them, just like the mags you got for your friend. Years later I discovered that Magpul's anti-tilt follower worked perfectly in them, contrary to legend, so I made a batch purchase of followers and upgraded them again

You are absolutely right about us being spoiled today. Many of our younger members have no idea how bad it was back in the AWB dark ages. I can remember using JB Weld to fix spilt feedlips or missing floorplate tabs

Never again.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#30]
That's funny, I remember upgrading to the new improved followers back in the day.  I just threw them all away a few months back.

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#31]
If I plan on leaving any loaded I always put the dust cover on whether it's short term or long term
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Something I found useful for them is that they will attach to the bottom of the mag on the 30s.This may seem pointless, but I have had a few mags baseplates crack when dropping the mag. Putting the dust cover on the bottom protects the baseplate a little more, and if your baseplate does crack, you can still attch the dust cover with the broken baseplate and it will stay in place as a temporary field repair of your magazine.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Most of my PMags that are intended for medium to long-term storage have the covers installed:
http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/pmag_dry_box_storage.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/maxpedition_bag.jpg

View Quote

Jesus and I thought buying 6 was a bit excessive O.O    For Op, mine are loaded with caps on, dunno if it helps but i figure might as well.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I use the covers for all the fully loaded P-Mags ... why not ?

It does protect the feed lips and take the pressure off of the feed lips. Heck if USGI mags had a easy to pop off cover that did the same thing.. I would use those also.

If push came to shove I can easily pop off all the covers ... even while still in the mag pouches.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Jesus and I thought buying 6 was a bit excessive O.O    For Op, mine are loaded with caps on, dunno if it helps but i figure might as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I realize that that may seem like a lot, like many of the old-timers here I shudder at the thought of another AWB type situation where new mags are scarce and/or absurdly expensive. And although we may joke about it, most of us here who stockpile ammo, mags, and spare parts don't do it for zombies or Red Dawn fantasies - it's all about availability

I look at it like this: If the sale of new magazines was made illegal overnight, would I have enough on-hand to last a lifetime? What about for my friends, family, and coworkers I care about? I have a lot of mags for my ARs and Sig rifles - many more than I have pictured here. I suppose it's all about comfort level

A few years ago I realized that I *might* have a *small* hoarding problem when I started stockpiling mags for weapons that I don't even own. A couple of my friends for example have LaRue OBR rifles in 308, so I started stockpiling 308 PMags and ammunition for them. The only 308 caliber rifle I own is a FAL Para ... and that doesn't take PMags
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I used one to prop my door open while I was moving a new couch into my apartment a few years back. That's about it.

never once used them in Iraq, never had any problems whatsoever with the moondust getting inside them
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I use the dust cover on loaded mags for the peace of mind.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

While I realize that that may seem like a lot, like many of the old-timers here I shudder at the thought of another AWB type situation where new mags are scarce and/or absurdly expensive. And although we may joke about it, most of us here who stockpile ammo, mags, and spare parts don't do it for zombies or Red Dawn fantasies - it's all about availability

I look at it like this: If the sale of new magazines was made illegal overnight, would I have enough on-hand to last a lifetime? What about for my friends, family, and coworkers I care about? I have a lot of mags for my ARs and Sig rifles - many more than I have pictured here. I suppose it's all about comfort level

A few years ago I realized that I *might* have a *small* hoarding problem when I started stockpiling mags for weapons that I don't even own. A couple of my friends for example have LaRue OBR rifles in 308, so I started stockpiling 308 PMags and ammunition for them. The only 308 caliber rifle I own is a FAL Para ... and that doesn't take PMags
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense. I only have one Ar, or rifle in general so i can't justify a bunch of loaded mags = / m&p9 and Glock 23 mags are a different story How many mags do you have total, do you think? Feel free to PM in you don't wanna put it out in the open. I already am planning more Ar builds as funds will allow so i guess slowly i can build it up to match you
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
<tree trimming>
Makes sense. I only have one Ar, or rifle in general so i can't justify a bunch of loaded mags = / m&p9 and Glock 23 mags are a different story How many mags do you have total, do you think? Feel free to PM in you don't wanna put it out in the open. I already am planning more Ar builds as funds will allow so i guess slowly i can build it up to match you
View Quote

You can justify buying a supply of $25-$35 mags for your handguns but not buying a supply of $10 mags for your rifle?  Ok, it's your choice, but I don't agree with it.  If it's a funds issue, then build up that collection slowly.  Just don't read the magazine whores thread and feel like you need to be there by the end of next week.

To keep my reply thread-relevant, you won't even need the dust covers unless you want to use them!
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#40]
I just grabbed an extra 20 round Pmag to fit into a hidden cargo pocket in my new uniform pants. I decided to use the dust cover as a lint cover.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Something I found useful for them is that they will attach to the bottom of the mag on the 30s.This may seem pointless, but I have had a few mags baseplates crack when dropping the mag. Putting the dust cover on the bottom protects the baseplate a little more, and if your baseplate does crack, you can still attch the dust cover with the broken baseplate and it will stay in place as a temporary field repair of your magazine.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:22:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I always found the PMAG dust covers to make great landfill material.  I've always pitched 'em as soon as I opened the package.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I have 2-PMAG40 Gen M3 and 1-PMAG30 Gen M3.  I also have a batch of standard steel 30 rd mags a friend gave me.  I must say I am quite happy with the Gen M3 PMAGs.  I basically use the dust covers for storage when I am not at the range.  Saw no sense in throwing them away since they were designed to be used lol.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top