Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2014 3:35:37 PM EDT
Out of curiosity, do you recommend keeping your mags loaded or unloaded in storage?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#1]
And any difference of recommendation between steel jacket rounds and brass?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]
the only unloaded mags i have are still in the packages jic theres another panic. i rotate ~50 ar mags and have been doing so for years
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]
what about brass versus Russian ammo that is steel cased?  Any thoughts?  Can they be pre-loaded too?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what about brass versus Russian ammo that is steel cased?  Any thoughts?  Can they be pre-loaded too?
View Quote

Yes it's perfectly fine no difference. Keep your mags loaded, It's been proven it won't hurt them and they don't do you any good whatsoever unloaded.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you concerned about it rusting together? Steel would be preferred over brass for long term as they are lacquer coated. YMMV

90% of my mags are loaded, in Ammo cans with Dessicant. the other 10% are either new in wrap or range mags.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine are loaded just because it's easier to store more ammo that way.  Storing them loaded/unloaded doesn't hurt the springs.  It is the compressing/decompressing the spring that wears it out.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Spot on! Storing a spring in a compressed state will not harm the spring in any way (unless it's at incredible elevated temps). It is the cycling of the spring that wears it out. Eventually it will form micro cracks, which will eventually lead to the spring breaking.

No harm whatsoever to the spring from storing your mags loaded. And I do mean fully loaded. A properly designed mag does not need to be downloaded to 28 or 29 rounds. If it was designed to hold 30 load it up and forget about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine are loaded just because it's easier to store more ammo that way.  Storing them loaded/unloaded doesn't hurt the springs.  It is the compressing/decompressing the spring that wears it out.

Spot on! Storing a spring in a compressed state will not harm the spring in any way (unless it's at incredible elevated temps). It is the cycling of the spring that wears it out. Eventually it will form micro cracks, which will eventually lead to the spring breaking.

No harm whatsoever to the spring from storing your mags loaded. And I do mean fully loaded. A properly designed mag does not need to be downloaded to 28 or 29 rounds. If it was designed to hold 30 load it up and forget about it.

Bingo!!
I have kept mags loaded for 10 years and they worked just as good as new ones.
Just don't load and unload and load them all the time...as in just sitting around and messing with them
Shooting them empty and then loading them is fine
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
So much not clear info.

So let us be clear: Storing a mag loaded is NOT the same as storing it empty. FACT.

Buy a cheap book shelf... load a shelf full of books, leave one empty. Let me know which one sags first. And why did it? Because there was a force acting upon that material. Keeping a spring loaded has a force acting upon it. With the same results.

Everyone says.. "it doesn't matter" and then when every service member that was in Vietnam says "had to download the 20s to 16 or your springs would fail and then so would your weapon" not a single peep chimes in to say they are lying. Literally watch ANY of the M16 history videos ripped on Youtube, they all have this in there somewhere.

So back to being clear: An unloaded magazine is useless in a SD scenario. So it is worthwhile to load them up for that reason. Very worthwhile. It may even be a zombie SHTF situation, so load a bunch of them up. The reality is, the spring will still last a really, really long time.. most likely longer than you will. So in that way it doesn't matter. That does NOT mean it's the same.

However, if you're planning on passing magazine to your kids and their kids and their kids in the event they can no longer ever be purchased... then I would strongly advise you to store those magazines unloaded if you want them to be functioning many, many, many years from now.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Loaded.  Even unproven mags.  I will  pull them first for range use.

Extra mags of known quality (Pmag, Lancer, D&H etc) are left unloaded because I know they will work the first time.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:33:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So much not clear info.

So let us be clear: Storing a mag loaded is NOT the same as storing it empty. FACT.

Everyone says.. "it doesn't matter" and then when every service member that was in Vietnam says "had to download the 20s to 16 or your springs would fail and then so would your weapon" not a single peep chimes in to say they are lying. Literally watch ANY of the M16 history videos ripped on Youtube, they all have this in there somewhere.

View Quote

No one is saying the "nam vets were liars.  A) The rifle and mags has come a loooooooooog way since then.  B) Just because the vets all say it doesn't make it fact.  I have ready many vet accounts from several wars where they were just flat out wrong on things in their way of thinking.  Doesn't mean they were stupid or untrained, it just means they got something into their heads based on what they saw or think they saw and it was the truth to them.

I started to download my mags by 1 or 2 after I couldn't get a mag in the rifle properly while being shot at in some very bad conditions.  I never had a problem before that, but when the worst case came up, it darn near got me killed.  I downloaded after that.  The same conditions never came up again.  Was i right to do it?  No idea, but I lived and felt more confident.

That doesn't make it the law of the land though.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
the only unloaded mags i have are still in the packages jic theres another panic. i rotate ~50 ar mags and have been doing so for years
View Quote

This. If a mag I've been using fails somehow or cracks or something, it gets marked or smashed and thrown away. Then grab a new mag out of the stockpile and add it to the rotation. Buy one or two new magazines of your choice each payday and add them to the stockpile. Repeat.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes it's perfectly fine no difference. Keep your mags loaded, It's been proven it won't hurt them and they don't do you any good whatsoever unloaded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No difference?  I have to disagree.  You are putting them under load.  This stresses the metal on a molecular level.  I've had handgun magazines that were loaded for years not feed as good and with a new spring they worked like new.

I'm not saying don't do it, or it's going to completely ruin your mags, but I disagree that it's proven that there is no difference.  I'm sure I'm splitting hairs, but changing anything from it's resting form tends to, over time, lead to malfunction.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't think anyone said loaded vs unloaded is the same. I will state this one more time so it is perfectly clear, storing a mag FULLY loaded will not harm the spring. It will not wear the spring out. It will not weaken the spring over time. If a mag is loaded to 30 rounds and stored that way for 10 years that spring will be just as strong and good as a spring in a mag that was stored empty.

This is not theory, it's science. As long as the spring is not compressed beyond its yield point it will not be affected, not even a little bit.

Springs wear out and weaken over time when they are CYCLED, not when sitting. Doesn't matter if it's compressed or uncompressed.

If there were any truth to the need to down load those old mags it was because they were poorly designed and over compressed the spring when fully loaded. That is an entirely different problem all together.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SNIP

I don't think anyone said loaded vs unloaded is the same. I will state this one more time so it is perfectly clear, storing a mag FULLY loaded will not harm the spring. It will not wear the spring out. It will not weaken the spring over time. If a mag is loaded to 30 rounds and stored that way for 10 years that spring will be just as strong and good as a spring in a mag that was stored empty.

This is not theory, it's science. As long as the spring is not compressed beyond its yield point it will not be affected, not even a little bit.

Springs wear out and weaken over time when they are CYCLED, not when sitting. Doesn't matter if it's compressed or uncompressed.

If there were any truth to the need to down load those old mags it was because they were poorly designed and over compressed the spring when fully loaded. That is an entirely different problem all together.

Sorry, this is just incorrect.  You're trying to argue physics.  

Everyone here probably has enough mags to try this so answer the question for yourselves and stop believing what Non-metal/molecular engineers keep telling you.  

(obviously this test is simple and not to be taken as an end all, be all.  It's just something for you to do at home)
Simple test
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No difference?  I have to disagree.  You are putting them under load.  This stresses the metal on a molecular level.  I've had handgun magazines that were loaded for years not feed as good and with a new spring they worked like new.

I'm not saying don't do it, or it's going to completely ruin your mags, but I disagree that it's proven that there is no difference.  I'm sure I'm splitting hairs, but changing anything from it's resting form tends to, over time, lead to malfunction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the only experience I have personally with keeping a mag loaded for a LONG period of time. In my case it was a Sig 229 mag. I bought two brand new "high cap" mags back in 98 when I got the pistol. One of them I kept fully loaded up, the other stayed new in the package for future use(this was back in the ban years when brand new high cap mags cost me $105 a pop). I kept the loaded mag in the pistol and rarely ever shot or emptied it as I thought this would wear it out. I just used 10 rounders when I went to the range. Fast forward 16 years....the mag that was kept loaded for all those years has a very noticably weaker spring than the other. After some feeding issues and failing to lock back the slide after the mag was empty I decided to replace the spring. The mag now has zero issues and the new spring feels just like the mag that wasn't used.

So to me it seems pretty clear that at least in the case of older Sig mags, keeping it loaded for a long period of time definitely weakened the spring. It would make sense AR mags would be similar. I only keep a mag or two loaded these days. My rifles are just range guns and I don't need to keep ammo ready to go. I figure this way I'll get the longest possible use out of my mags.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#20]
So then why do new MFR. 1911 mags not work out of the Box but 75+ year old 1911 mags loaded with 1942 dated ammo work fine?  Not buying the idea that loaded will make the not work.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. My mags that are "investments" are still in the wrapper. The rest are loaded (or waiting for me to buy more ammo to fill them).
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#22]

So while I will agree with you that there is more stress on a spring in a fully loaded mag, you are talking about the difference of 2 stress levels that are so low they are insignificant with regards to creep in steel. And that is why it doesn't matter to the spring if the mag is fully loaded, or empty, It would be like you have hair on your arms, or no hair. They weight of those hairs are not going to affect your arm in any way.
View Quote

Sorry, I probably came off a bit more argumentative that I meant to.  Sometimes I just can't help myself and like to argue every day use all the way up to extremes.  And let's face it, I do keep some mags loaded and ready to go so I can't really sit here and poo poo it lol.  I just had a stick up my ass that day I guess.  Also, even if it did more damage than it does to keep them compressed, with the availability and price of mags these days who cares? lol.  Cheers!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:08:40 AM EDT
[#24]
All stresses on a spring, are forced into the material when it's made.

I've got 9mm mags that have been loaded since the 80's.

If you think about it, if you pulled the wire straight, it's what...3 feet long? In a mag your pushing one end down maybe 5". If you held that wire straight out, it would damn near sag 5" all by it's self.
If you spread out the load over the wires length, it's very little "per inch"

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Most say keeping them loaded doesn't hurt, but I've juster had a reason to keep them loaded.  If I were at war, it wold be different.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Most say keeping them loaded doesn't hurt, but I've juster had a reason to keep them loaded.  If I were at war, it wold be different.
View Quote

You could be at war any minute.  Then it's too late to load them.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True enough but I figure the ones that ARE loaded (3-4 dozen...) should likely be adequate for any sudden "holy carp" moments. No point I can see in going to the trouble of loading a bunch more unless I needed to free up storage space by eliminating the additional, separate space taken by ammo outside the magazines. In that case, sure.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top