Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2014 9:38:09 AM EDT
I've seen these for sale on various sites but have no experience with them. Any pro/con opinions?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Some guys don't like them.alot of guys hate them
They seem filmsy to me
stick with pmags or usgi mags. You'll be happier that way
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Troy Battle Mag just to test it out, and I didnt care for it. Like the guy above said, stick with the PMAGS or USGI mags.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Had them lock up on me in dirt. Normally in situations with a lot of dust and dirt that's expected. However what's not expected is the amount to which they seized. I was full force slamming them against a truck bed and they still didn't come unstuck. I have 6 broken (by me...on purpose) mags now because I can't trust them at all.
Edit: I didn't come across clear enough. They are shit.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
They did not work with 450 Bushmaster or 300 Blackout conversions.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a dozen or so and have used them quite a bit in the last couple years.

They work fine for me, I'd say they work as well as the Pmags I have.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a half dozen that seem to work fine in my 300blk.  Pmags are still my "go to" mags in my 5.56 guns.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some guys don't like them.alot of guys hate them
They seem filmsy to me
stick with pmags or usgi mags or Lancer. You'll be happier that way
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have several troy magazines. They function flawlessly. They are slimmer than pmags and fit well into magazine carriers. I cannot say anything negative. They work as intended

They are good to go.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I too have had very bad luck with them. When testing them, they failed miserably when dirty/sandy, and I have also experienced broken feedlips.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Lancer, TD Gen 2, Pmags, USGI.  In that order.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#11]
GI mags.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of opinions. They are cheap enough to buy a few and give them hell.

But FTroy.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:45:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Battlemag feed lips spread like heck if u keep them loaded and exposed to Temperature fluctuations for a month or so. Got one that won't even hold rounds anymore...  they pop right out and it's never even been used.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#14]
OK, half say they run all right & half say they suck.  Which half will you be in OP?
And I won't even get into their personnel hiring practices.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have several troy magazines. They function flawlessly. They are slimmer than pmags and fit well into magazine carriers. I cannot say anything negative. They work as intended

They are good to go.

View Quote

I've had mags left fully loaded for months and the feedlips (which are reinforced) do not spread (unlike P-mags)...

They are self lubricated (unlike metal mags), you can use a magazine pull or not (included with magazine), they are slimmer for synthetic magazine and will fit carriers that may not fit P-mags.

They have worked perfectly in all my 6 ARs.  I've gotten them filthy muddy, covered in dirt and sand all up in them and they continued to work without drama or issues...  (unlike a lot of the Troy haters on the site...)

Whenever they are on sale, I always stock up another dozen or so.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#17]
It's interesting how mags (any brand) can be "a total POS" or "greatest mag ever" depending on personal experience.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#18]
i have a bunch mixed in with usgi, pmags, lancers and all of them work fine. i have mostly pmags, those and lancers are my favorite but ive never had issues with troy mags. a guy that works in my sot buddys shop shot a battle mag with 3rnds of 556 and a round of 12ga. it still worked and i think its still at the shop. next time im there if i remember ill take a picture of it
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's interesting how mags (any brand) can be "a total POS" or "greatest mag ever" depending on personal experience.
View Quote

You've got that right!
I have some Thermolds that have worked reliably for thousands of rounds apiece, been thrown around, stepped on, etc, and still work.  Others would say they'd never feed the first round before blowing up your rifle and raping your mailbox.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#20]
They are same price as pmag and not as good. thats enough reason not to buy. Then add its Troy. Decision done.

Buy pmag or gi nhmtg, brownells or d&h. All better. I split mine roughly 50/50.

As for the BM, the follower is not anti tilt and will jam up easily. Try it push down the front... I jammed mine so bad with just a finger, it took tools to get it to pop back in place. the baseplates are weird and some people have broken them removing them. (Push in on the button.)

So final answer is... They are a good mag, but there are better at same or cheaper price.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a half dozen and they work perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought 2 of the 3 packs from AIM (IIRC) when the mags were first coming out onto the market.  Tried them, most worked just fine, but one or two didn't drop free in a couple of different AR's, not really much different than other mags.  I still have them, but my primary mags are still USGI.  I also have some PMags, Lancer, and TangoDowns that I use from time to time, but USGI still work great.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#23]
They are pretty decent range mags. They are the lowest level I would go go on a polymer mag with Lancer and MagPul being above them. (Never tried a Tango Down)

When they are cheap I buy them for sale in the next panic or as loaners.

If all you do is at the range then have fun and enjoy the prices.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 6:07:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I did cold weather drop testing of a bunch of magazines a while back.

The Troy mag shattered like glass. It was such a spectacular failure I thought it was a fluke, so I repeated the test with another one, and got the same result.

Several other all-polymer mags were in that test, including PMags, TangoDown mags and, of all things, Tapco mags. Some of them took some damage with each drop, but all of them remained functional after three drops... The Troy mags never even survived a single drop, much less remained functional.

I'd take any of the other magazines in that test over the Troys. Freezing weather should not do that to a piece of rifle gear.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I have never once had trouble with a Tapco mag.  Ugly as hell and useless in pouches, but they do work fine.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I think they're OK. They work most of the time. Sometimes they don't lock open with my Alpha upper on PSA lower. They work wonderfully on the Troy Bravo rifle (go figure >.>). But I do prefer PMAGs in several ways: harder/stiffer plastic than Troy - rounds snap in consistently when loading, better followers, lovely Ranger plate option. The pull tab on the Battlemags is annoying (can't slam the mag in).
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#27]
i must say i bought a few troy and lancer mags for a good deal and i wish i hadn't. their both shit, wont seat on a closed bolt. to me that means alot,i didn't  buy 30rd mags to download them.
usgi/pmags all the way!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Hi,

My experience with the Troy magazines has been positive.  They will crack  if stomped on along the spline if stressed, but so have p-mags, CAA's, and other nylon magazines I've tested.  I do like them as range magazines as the Troys are slimmer and easier to grasp, and fit better in mag pouches than p-mags.

Regards:
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have never once had trouble with a Tapco mag.  Ugly as hell and useless in pouches, but they do work fine.
View Quote

Not to jump OP post... but I agree, even though I only have Tapcos in AK mags... still got a bunch at around $8 a pop. They work great. Hard to complain about $8 mags that work great... my goto AK range mags. My nice steel and bakelite ones can be safe queens...
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:39:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
i must say i bought a few troy and lancer mags for a good deal and i wish i hadn't. their both shit, wont seat on a closed bolt. to me that means alot,i didn't  buy 30rd mags to download them.
usgi/pmags all the way!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
usgi/pmags all the way!!

I believe the Lancer is actually designed to hold 31 and indeed seat easily on a closed bolt.  But while chasing a military contract, procurement required that they not be allowed to load more than 30.  So they were forced to install a longer stop in the floorplates to prevent that.  If you go to their website, they post an easy recommended fix by filing down a plastic piece.  Once that's done, it'll work as originally intended:

Quoted:
I understand your point, there is a difference between what is liked and what is specified though. Perhaps future magazine requirments will change.

If you want to modify your own magazines to hold 31 rounds, simply remove .188" from the follower stop (large part that sticks up) on the floor plate lock.

As to Troy, I have never seen so many posts describing first hand catastrophic magazines failures such as in this thread - ever.  Wow.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top